Cornwall Football Forum

Grassroots football to return !

According to the latest news the government are likely to be lifting the ban on grassroots spectator sports from next week. Obviously with any supporters needing to be socially distancing.  I was just wondering whether the county cup finals Would be likely to go ahead in the next few weeks? What are everyone’s feelings on this? Obviously being in a bar maybe a little bit difficult but I’m sure this could be overcome by using a serving hatch and a queueing system....

2 hours ago, shots said:

Would players & officials want to risk their health when social distancing is impossible during the game, and in the changing rooms ?

My point exactly ... Especially with the standard of our local football. It's not like it's National standard like the rugby. Social distancing in the dressing rooms, toilets, substitute bench, officials changing areas, just isn't viable at our level. 

The SWPL inform me that NO dates have been arranged, LOTS of work on ensuring players are safe to even travel to games let alone get changed and play.

No chance any football will be played at grassroots before July, and that is being optimistic, it maybe much longer than that!

Personally,  I cannot see football returning for quite some time. On a local level,  think about this. How do defenders put up a wall against a free-kick? You can't have 2 metres between players. After a throw in do you really want to head the ball? Possible transfer of virus. How do you raise funds to pay expenses for players and officials if you cannot open clubhouse? It's all very well saying just get on with it,  but do we really want to put lives at risk? We all miss the game we love, but is it worth dying for?

17 hours ago, Charlick4 said:

Just seen on the swp website that the date for cup semis is July 11th?. Is this set in stone? 

As above

The SWPL inform me that NO dates have been arranged, LOTS of work on ensuring players are safe to even travel to games let alone get changed and play.

No chance any football will be played at grassroots before July, and that is being optimistic, it maybe much longer than that!

Have to agree with you,  Dave. There just seems to be so many insurmountable problems to overcome. Hopefully leagues here in the South West do not force clubs/players/officials into potentially dangerous circumstances. A duty of care has to be recognised everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Have to agree with you,  Dave. There just seems to be so many insurmountable problems to overcome. Hopefully leagues here in the South West do not force clubs/players/officials into potentially dangerous circumstances. A duty of care has to be recognised everywhere. 

What I posted came from the SWPL not my own thoughts. 

They told me:"The SWPL inform me that NO dates have been arranged, LOTS of work on ensuring players are safe to even travel to games let alone get changed and play.

No chance any football will be played at grassroots before July, and that is being optimistic, it maybe much longer than that"

3 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

Personally,  I cannot see football returning for quite some time. On a local level,  think about this. How do defenders put up a wall against a free-kick? You can't have 2 metres between players. After a throw in do you really want to head the ball? Possible transfer of virus. How do you raise funds to pay expenses for players and officials if you cannot open clubhouse? It's all very well saying just get on with it,  but do we really want to put lives at risk? We all miss the game we love, but is it worth dying for?

Well said Charlie. I wont be standing behind the bar if 80 odd players and spectators walk in!

It's irrelevant how many walk in because the bars won't be open. How can they be if we want to safeguard people? As much as we love the beautiful game,  I'm sure that we don't water to pass on this pestilence to our family and loved ones. If it means next season doesn't happen, so be it. I have a feeling that a remedy  to Covid19 will be found but until then,  let's safeguard everyone  that we can.

Yes, because I believe that given the effort a solution of some sort will be found. However,  AIDS was not as widespread as Covid19 due to the different way that it was passed on. The whole world is throwing it's resources into a solution to Covid19. 

On 11/05/2020 at 22:32, Quiet Man said:

Yes, because I believe that given the effort a solution of some sort will be found. However,  AIDS was not as widespread as Covid19 due to the different way that it was passed on. The whole world is throwing it's resources into a solution to Covid19. 

We can then sit and wait for COVID 20 to come along...