Cornwall Football Forum

Helston appoint new football management structure

Official Press Release from Helston Athletic :-

Helston Athletic Football Club is excited to announce that as of today, Steve and Stuart Massey have agreed to join the Club and take charge of all football operations.  Steve will assume the role of “Football Consultant” and his brother Stuart will be “General Manager of Football”. Between them they will oversee all activities related to the management and coaching of all men’s, ladies and youth football teams at the Club.

Chairman Paul Hendy said “The Committee and I are delighted to have two individuals with Steve and Stuart’s extensive experience of both professional and local football joining us at Helston. With three men’s, one ladies and sixteen youth teams, we felt the time was right to have all of the teams come under the leadership of people with the appropriate practical knowledge and experience of running all on the field activities. To have both Steve and Stuart wanting to do this as joint responsibilities made our decision even easier.”

Explaining their decision to join Helston Steve Massey said “What Helston have achieved both on and off the pitch over the last few seasons has been quite remarkable and a credit to all that have been involved. Stuart and I had been looking for the right opening to again become involved with football in the South-West and are both delighted to be given the opportunity to join such an up and coming club. From what we have observed and experienced, the club have put a great foundation in place by way of the quality of its facilities and club structure, both of which are key factors from which to grow their football activities. Looking to build on what is already in place we hope we can help all of the players and teams at Helston Athletic realise their full on the pitch potential. Our first job is to find a young, ambitious and enthusiastic manager / head coach, who's had experience of managing, and ideally as locally based as possible. We hope to be able to make an announcement regarding this appointment within the next two weeks.”

Stuart Massey added “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to get involved again in Cornish football. Living just a few miles away from Kellaway Park, I have been able to see how quickly the Club has grown over the last few years. To be able to assist Paul and the Committee take the Club to the next level is an exciting challenge, that both Steve and I are enthusiastic to get started on.”

Fantastic appointment!!! Great job done by Sid and Richie and with this news more great times ahead for Helston. Great for a young striking talent like Matty to have someone like Mass around with little tips in his ear, only going to improve him even more. Been there and done it. Wealth of football knowledge between Mass and Stu, well done Paul, spot on again! Terrific club ?⚽️?

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I'd start by signing players who are prepared to travel to away games.

Why we still finished above Penryn and they did ask if our flood lights worked, that should brighten your day up.

Helston could not have made better appointments.

Having seen Steve and more recently Stuart at games around the County in recent months I have a feeling they already have a coach / manager lined up, along with several new players. 

Good luck to all involved at Helston. 

1 minute ago, Bobjfh said:

Helston could not have made better appointments.

Having seen Steve and more recently Stuart at games around the County in recent months I have a feeling they already have a coach / manager lined up, along with several new players. 

Good luck to all involved at Helston. 

Steve jewell?

called this a few weeks ago, not a huge surprise! have heard an ex player will be coming back to manage the firsts, and will be given a considerable budget to put out a team capable of winning the league within two seasons! it will have to be considerable, to draw in the players needed from the current line up Helston have, could mean a divide though between teams which isnt ever great!!

4 hours ago, S Abbo said:

I hope this is a 10 year plan and not 10 months... 

Having had the Masseys at Falmouth a couple of times this is the big question!!

Anyway, best of luck to our near neighbours.  The pool of talent is limited in West Cornwall at this level so I hope you don't look too closely at our side for anyone!!

4 hours ago, S Abbo said:

In his spells at Truro City I always felt Steve was never given time to complete the job he had started. The 2 chairmen were always looking for instant success. I always admired Steve for at least giving local talent a chance to prove themselves first before looking accross the border.

8 hours ago, Smiler said:

Why we still finished above Penryn and they did ask if our flood lights worked, that should brighten your day up.

Why (?) do you really need an answer to that (!)

You finished above Penryn - and (?)

We had a floodlight failure - you will too when you've had them for more than 5 minutes ...LOL

5 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Having had the Masseys at Falmouth a couple of times this is the big question!!

Anyway, best of luck to our near neighbours.  The pool of talent is limited in West Cornwall at this level so I hope you don't look too closely at our side for anyone!!

At least Falmouth did not finish bottom of the league when they were there !

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Why (?) do you really need an answer to that (!)

You finished above Penryn - and (?)

We had a floodlight failure - you will too when you've had them for more than 5 minutes ...LOL

Nibble

23 hours ago, S Abbo said:

Time will tell!!! If loads of players come in from elsewhere there could be a issue? 

Money talks though so sure will have some big names arriving and possibly couple heading back from elsewhere 

i do not see the issue in paying anyone, if committee's have the right ambition it is the ONLY way to move up the leagues. as someone else has mentioned there is only so much local talent out there, they will only get you so far.  But if the plug gets pulled to soon that is when an ambitious club turns into a club in turmoil !