Cornwall Football Forum

No trip to Cullompton for Helston this Saturday!

As posted on the SWPL Postponements Forum

Please note that Helston Athletic have notified both Cullompton Rangers and the league today that they are unable to raise a side for Saturdays re-arranged trip to Cullompton Rangers.

The game was scheduled for Saturday 1st April and was declared on by at an 11am inspection but was then postponed upon arrival of the away team by the match referee.

Due to other fixtures arranged, the travel involved, and the deadline for playing Premier (step 6) fixtures by Sat 29th April the only date was this coming Saturday and that involved both Cullompton & Helston playing two days running. This was not ideal by any means but the leagues hands are tied in such matters esp. as the FA have indicated that due to the mild winter, no extension to the season would be contemplated.

Cullompton Rangers are thanked by Helston for their hospitality on the original date and the Cullompton club have not requested ANY compensation from Helston due to the nature of the circumstances and the brotherhood that exists between member clubs.

Likewise the league have not sought to profit from the situation by levying excess fines and have taken into account Helstons early notification to cancel appointed referees, programme printing, pitch preparation etc and the league have also considered the cost of the original trip made by Helston when setting the fine.

However the match has to be awarded to the non offending club, Cullompton Rangers, and likewise Helston are deducted 3 points. The match will be given as a home walk-over but as no goals can be awarded it will appear as a 0-0 draw on results grids.

I will be making changes to databases on websites shortly.

Regards

Phil H

I know that within the League rules this is a fair result and it doesn't 'really' matter to either team, but can't help thinking it's a bit unfair on Helston. Having travelled all the way to Cullompton to have the game cancelled ( from memory that was a horrible weekend) - and then have a refixture for an Easter weekend Saturday, following a usual derby Good Friday - not many teams would/could have made both fixtures. 

8 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Perhaps the CORNWALL FA could explain although their public relatios seem to be non existent.

Big Al - we all know that you don't believe all you say and that you have just adopted an 'anti CCFA' persona - why not confuse everyone and change your profile to 'Mr Happy' for the rest of 2017?

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

I know that within the League rules this is a fair result and it doesn't 'really' matter to either team, but can't help thinking it's a bit unfair on Helston. Having travelled all the way to Cullompton to have the game cancelled ( from memory that was a horrible weekend) - and then have a refixture for an Easter weekend Saturday, following a usual derby Good Friday - not many teams would/could have made both fixtures. 

Appreciate the reasoning you say that Bobjfh but I'm not so sure this sort of thing should be happening in a FA controlled Step 6 league!

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

Perhaps the CORNWALL FA could explain although their public relatios seem to be non existent.

Why the Cornwall FA when the SWPL comes under the jurisdiction of The Football Association?

Also, Falmouth travelled to Cullompton for a midweek fixture - possibly the longest midweek trip in the league to date. Have to agree with SiJames though, Helston do have three teams. The Reserves don't have a game on Saturday and even if they did, it would be easier to reschedule a Combination League game for a midweek.

3 hours ago, BIG AL said:

It's an FA rule so nothing to do with the County FA.

29 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Also, Falmouth travelled to Cullompton for a midweek fixture - possibly the longest midweek trip in the league to date. Have to agree with SiJames though, Helston do have three teams. The Reserves don't have a game on Saturday and even if they did, it would be easier to reschedule a Combination League game for a midweek.

They can't force a load of the seconds to travel though. Especially if many had made plans as they knew they didn't have a game. If the game was at home then perhaps it would be a different story!

1 minute ago, bighairydave said:

It's an FA rule so nothing to do with the County FA.

They can't force a load of the seconds to travel though. Especially if many had made plans as they knew they didn't have a game. If the game was at home then perhaps it would be a different story!

If it was at home then I'm sure the players would be available. Surely from all the first teamers available topped up with the second teamers. The players should play for the club and the club should be represented in all games. Back in the good old days, Truro City had to sign on a supporter - Kenny Wills on a trip to Appledore when several players didn't travel. Those were the days when players could sign on the day and be countersigned by the referee.

8 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

If it was at home then I'm sure the players would be available. Surely from all the first teamers available topped up with the second teamers. The players should play for the club and the club should be represented in all games. Back in the good old days, Truro City had to sign on a supporter - Kenny Wills on a trip to Appledore when several players didn't travel. Those were the days when players could sign on the day and be countersigned by the referee.

Agreed, poor for this supposed 'standard' of football

I feel for Helston. Made the long trip up to Cullumpton only for it to be postponed then to be refixtured the day after a local derby over Easter weekend. 2 games in two days at any level is difficult, but at this point of the season and over this particular weekend it's a big ask. I know the cut off date for SWPL fixtures is the 29th April(?) - why so early when most local leagues are flexible and can run until the end of May. 

However, is it not a ruling that a club must fulfill their more senior fixture? So if their first team can not fulfill a fixture then their second and third team are not permitted to play? I may have made this up but I thought it was the case. Could be damaging in the third team's title race?

Got a lot of time for Helston, hope they end the season well for Sid and Richie's sake.  

Could it not have been played on Easter Monday instead. Therefore making  cullumpton play 2 games in 2 days. Would be easier as cullumpton would be at home v helston Monday, then home again v camelford Tuesday. Although not ideal, would at least be no long away trip for the team playing 2 days in a row

Teams in the past have played two games in two days with no moaning. Some have played three in three. Didn't Helston or Stoke Gabriel play twice in two days last season when Stoke came down on a Sunday?

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Could it not have been played on Easter Monday instead. Therefore making  cullumpton play 2 games in 2 days. Would be easier as cullumpton would be at home v helston Monday, then home again v camelford Tuesday. Although not ideal, would at least be no long away trip for the team playing 2 days in a row

That seems a little better situation-but not ideal to Helston  who would say they are involved in their preparayions for the Semior Cup final

Willow they did, but from memory that was at the request of Stoke Gabriel, who wanted to 'clear' dates (they played a couple of Saturday / Sunday fixtures)

WendronOfficial - I think the rule you are referring to is 10f that relates to the Trelawney League (within the competition), so a SWPL Prem not playing has no impact on a Trelawney 1 team playing. 

In a perfect world, I am sure Helston would have used their Combo team to fulfil the fixture (as long as all registered for SWPL) - but let's be realistic - Bank Holiday Saturday from Helston to Cullompton with roadworks on the A30 and A38 - that's likely to be 3 hours each way -  best of luck to any club getting players who had a bank holiday weekend off with the family to travel and play for another team. 

56 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Willow they did, but from memory that was at the request of Stoke Gabriel, who wanted to 'clear' dates (they played a couple of Saturday / Sunday fixtures)

WendronOfficial - I think the rule you are referring to is 10f that relates to the Trelawney League (within the competition), so a SWPL Prem not playing has no impact on a Trelawney 1 team playing. 

In a perfect world, I am sure Helston would have used their Combo team to fulfil the fixture (as long as all registered for SWPL) - but let's be realistic - Bank Holiday Saturday from Helston to Cullompton with roadworks on the A30 and A38 - that's likely to be 3 hours each way -  best of luck to any club getting players who had a bank holiday weekend off with the family to travel and play for another team. 

Falmouth to Witheridge also on a Bank Holiday - poor fixturing, the season could easily be extended by at least a further 2 weeks !

20 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Back in the good old days, Truro weren't a continual laughing stock!!!!

I think this raises a few points;

- why do the FA insist on such an early finish to the season, it's ridiculous, there is no logic to this, and it puts unnecessary pressure on league and club officials as well as players when teams might be pushing for honours, or to avoid relegation, and fail due to playing too many games in a short period

- last season Callington, and I think Stoke Gabriel and Godolphin played on consecutive days towards the end of the season

- I would have thought that early notice of failure to fulfill the fixture would have led to pressure from the SWPL to actually play the game, rather than accept postponement

- from what I read both Helston & Cullompton considered the pitch to be playable at Cullompton, and I think it had been passed fit after a morning inspection, no doubt the SWPL have been lenient towards Helston with this in mind

- it does set a worrying precedent however, I do recall Bovey Tracey failing to honour a fixture at St Austell a couple of years ago, it will  be interesting to see how the SWPL treat such a situation arising in the future ( hopefully it doesn't of course)

Just my views....