Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Fixtures - Tuesday & Wednesday, 14 & 15 March 2017

Tuesday March 14 (7.30 pm unless otherwise stated)

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Camelford P-P Godolphin Atlantic

Helston Athletic 1-2 Bodmin Town

Newquay 4-0 Callington Town

DIVISION ONE (WEST)

Liskeard Athletic 1-0 Holsworthy

Wadebridge Town 3-2 Vospers Oak Villa

Wednesday March 15

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Saltash United   3-2    Plymouth Argyle Reserves (7.30pm)

Another tough fixture tonight, down West at Syd Naylor's Helston. Always a tough game there, lovely curry afterwards though, worth the drive alone.  Can see Reg's Camelford getting a result this evening, & also Doomed Newquay to buck their losing trend & get a 3-0 home win against Callington

FT Score Newquay 4 Callington 0.    HT 2 0

2 for Jack Bray Evans 1 each for Luke Whelden and the young Rappo. Good entertaining physical game Luke started the scoring when he slotted in after the goalie couldn't hold the ball from an initial strike. Then a free kick awarded to Newquay some 40_45 yards out up stepped Jack Bray Evans who took the resulting kick and saw the ball fly over the goalie and into the back of the net. Two fine finishes in the second half saw Newquay claim only their second league win of the season, however when it was only 2 nil the Callington centre forward blazed over from only  5 yards when it seemed easier to score.If he had scored t may have changed the game. But overall a well deserved victory for Newquay.

Well done Newquay! Very impressed at tonight's showing. The two previous times I've seen Newquay this season, they scored none and conceded nineteen. The game was a feisty encounter and surprisingly despite the handbags, it finished 11 v 11.

Callington were surprisingly poor and Newquay's goal was rarely troubled but take nothing away from the home side who deserved their three points. Good to see the Mount Wise floodlights back in action. Can't beat a midweek game up high with the mist swirling around. It adds to the atmosphere!

Thought Newquay looked a decent side tonight under the lights, hope its not too late for them. Saw two of the best goals I've seen all season as well. Jack Bray Evans free kick from fully 45 yards was great technique and improvisation and you could see he meant it. ? Also young county youth player Jack Rapsey who ran through from the halfway line skinning both centre halves on the way with quick feet before driving a superb 25 yard daisy cutter into the bottom corner. One of those would be nice on the 1st April at Middlesex young man! ? Shame the Sticky might not get to play Newquay or St.Blazey in the Premier next season. Two massive cornish giants. 

6 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Thought Newquay looked a decent side tonight under the lights, hope its not too late for them. Saw two of the best goals I've seen all season as well. Jack Bray Evans free kick from fully 45 yards was great technique and improvisation and you could see he meant it. ? Also young county youth player Jack Rapsey who ran through from the halfway line skinning both centre halves on the way with quick feet before driving a superb 25 yard daisy cutter into the bottom corner. One of those would be nice on the 1st April at Middlesex young man! ? Shame the Sticky might not get to play Newquay or St.Blazey in the Premier next season. Two massive cornish giants. 

I did predict a Newquay win on this occasion, Callington (I am sure will agree) in the last 10 games or so their form has been dreadful. But well done to Newquay. The sad thing is if your as old as me you remember Newquay & St.Blazey both steeped in history & unless they can turn around a 12 point swing & Witheridge & Ivybridge do not collect a single point from their remaining 8/10 games then both St.Blazey & Newquay will be in Division One West next season. Any side that concedes over 100 goals can have no gripes & except that are better suited in the league below. Have Newquay still got to play Godolphin? Be interesting to see how the G take it, maybe play their seconds to help out their friends & neighbours...specially when Newquay collected a draw the day G were beat heavily at home & peppermint supporters celebrated like they had survived relegation! Good luck guys at Mt.Wise

Just got back from Saltash United 3 Plymouth Argyle 2

The home side obviously had a game plan for the visit of the youngsters and it just about got them home.

Whether I agreed with it (as a neutral) is a completely different matter.

I suppose brute force and sheer physicality won out over a side trying to play football.

On a badly rutted pitch the ball was bobbling all over the place and certainly affected any real attempts to play any form of a passing game.

Perhaps this is why Saltash went with the hoof and chase strategy as their junior counterparts tried to play out from the back.

Saltash added some significant ingredients to the mix by persistently appealing to the Referee and crowding around him at every opportunity. Not good to see the home bench continually yelling at the Official to book Argyle players for the slightest technical offences (there certainly weren't any bad Argyle challenges to moan about). I think their objective was to distract the Referee from some very hard and often late tackles that the home favourites were putting in. Don't get me wrong, Argyles young lads are in this league to learn about the physical aspects of the game but some of the stuff Saltash were trying on was well out of order.

The 3-1 half time scoreline flattered Saltash. A deflected opening goal after 40 seconds plus the benefit of a penalty certainly helped their cause in a half that was pretty much even.

The second half definitely belonged to Argyle and the nerves set in for the home side big time. Further increased moaning and crowding out the Referee coupled with even more dubious challenges led to a flurry of yellow cards and one of the Coaching Staff being sent off. This was a junior side they were playing not Bodmin Town or St Austell?

Next up we got the time wasting, more kicking the ball away, more flashing of the yellow card. Goodness me there is competitiveness to get the win but this was taking the spirit of the game to extremes.

Argyle piled on the pressure (between the incessant interruptions) but despite getting one back to make it 3-2 they just couldn't get that equalising goal, despite plenty of near misses and hitting the woodwork.

The home supporters cheered with relief at the final whistle, no wonder. They got out of jail tonight and sneaked off with a valuable 3 points in the process.

Not impressed by what I witnessed of the much praised Saltash experience tonight, suppose this is what they call winning ugly?

7 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

The home side obviously had a game plan for the visit of the youngsters and it just about got them home.

I suppose brute force and sheer physicality won out over a side trying to play football.

On a badly rutted pitch the ball was bobbling all over the place and certainly affected any real attempts to play any form of a passing game.

Perhaps this is why Saltash went with the hoof and chase strategy as their junior counterparts tried to play out from the back.

Saltash added some significant ingredients to the mix by persistently appealing to the Referee and crowding around him at every opportunity. Not good to see the home bench continually yelling at the Official to book Argyle players for the slightest technical offences (there certainly weren't any bad Argyle challenges to moan about). I think their objective was to distract the Referee from some very hard and often late tackles that the home favourites were putting in. Don't get me wrong, Argyles young lads are in this league to learn about the physical aspects of the game but some of the stuff Saltash were trying on was well out of order.

The 3-1 half time scoreline flattered Saltash. A deflected opening goal after 40 seconds plus the benefit of a penalty certainly helped their cause in a half that was pretty much even.

The second half definitely belonged to Argyle and the nerves set in for the home side big time. Further increased moaning and crowding out the Referee coupled with even more dubious challenges led to a flurry of yellow cards and one of the Coaching Staff being sent off. This was a junior side they were playing not Bodmin Town or St Austell?

Next up we got the time wasting, more kicking the ball away, more flashing of the yellow card. Goodness me there is competitiveness to get the win but this was taking the spirit of the game to extremes.

Argyle piled on the pressure (between the incessant interruptions) but despite getting one back to make it 3-2 they just couldn't get that equalising goal, despite plenty of near misses and hitting the woodwork.

The home supporters cheered with relief at the final whistle, no wonder. They got out of jail tonight and sneaked off with a valuable 3 points in the process.

Not impressed by what I witnessed of the much praised Saltash experience tonight, suppose this is what they call winning ugly?

In your one sided report, you forgot to mention the constant fouling of saltash's strikers, some less than pleasant tackles from argylea youngsters, and the dodgy pen for argyles 2nd.   Sometimes you have to win ugly.  

Up the ashes

I again, wheeled the wife across the ferry and around to Kimberly Stadium last night to watch what we hoped to be a good game of football between two good sides.  It didn't disappoint  in the goals section, but some quality was lacking, whether that was down to less than usual standard of the surface or not, i don't know.  But what i can say is that it was by no means as one sided as the previous report suggests. Saltash opened the scoring rather fortunately will a wicked deflection, but even after that, Saltash were the better side in the first half and were good value for their slender lead.  The 2nd half did belong to Argyle, but they never really opened Saltash up at the back and tested their keeper.  So you have to give credit to a Saltash side who looked well drilled, who had a game plan and stuck to it. I don't think you can argue they were overly physical towards Argyle, just beause the Argyle side are youngsters you cannot go easy on them, this is a mens league, so they must acept they will be onthe end of tough tackles, arguably the worst ofthe night was a late chopping down in the middle of the park from the number 6 (Jim Alexander i think he is called), but that was more a professional foul as Argyle were looking to break.  The Argyle boys certainly didn't hold back when they had the opportunity to put a tackle in, so fairs fair.  A great result for Saltash who showed the form of champions, not playing their best football, but an important win nonetheless.  The half time oxo and chips were very nice and reasonably priced too, all in all a good evening.

18 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Well Uwdi, you certainly sound like a bitter and twisted Plymouth Argyle supporter!  Care to disclose your true name or do you not possess the bottle to do so?

"Brute force and sheer physicality won out over a side trying to play football".  That is totally absurd, as "the ashes" have played some great football this season.

"Badly rutted pitch". That is very disrespectful to the the volunteers who give up hours of their own time to prepare the pitch. Are you unaware of the recent rain we have had, which has caused pitches to be waterlogged. All efforts are made to play matches, but if the ground is soft, damage will occur.

I could dissect your total report, but I will treat it with the contempt it truly deserves.

Pastyman- Paul Quick

40 minutes ago, pastyman said:

Well Uwdi, you certainly sound like a bitter and twisted Plymouth Argyle supporter!

Couldn't probably be further from the suggestion! A neutral telling it as he saw it on the night. Overall Saltash are having a great season, which is why they are currently second in the table.

16 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Couldn't probably be further from the suggestion! A neutral telling it as he saw it on the night. Overall Saltash are having a great season, which is why they are currently second in the table.

I beg to differ with several of his comments relating to the match, but as I say, i will treat his report, with..........

21 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

very well said my thoughts were the same , all the whining to the ref and the lines men it was not nice to watch ,

On the games I have seen where 'Uwdi' has done a match report, I would have to agree that they have been very balanced reports - however I never saw the Ashes v Argyle Reserves game. 

I am a bit surprised about the 'whinging' though by Saltash as they have been the only one of the top 5 (when I have watched) who don't constantly get on the refs back. That said, I have also seen several officials giving every single 50-50 call to Argyle (as if in awe of officiating a pro club), so maybe there was a conscious decision to balance that by Saltash - either way I hope the Ashes go back to their normal style and concentrate on the football -keeping them on course to challenge for the League. 

15 hours ago, pastyman said:

I beg to differ with several of his comments relating to the match, but as I say, i will treat his report, with..........

To be fair Pastyman, I think the problem is that you were always very vociferous in your criticism towards certain clubs whose dugouts and players were constantly on the moan to match officials with colourful language, that was a good stance to take and won support. Saltash, to their credit in the past, have not done that, but also didn't win a lot. Therefor do you now support 'the ends justify the means'.