Cornwall Football Forum

I notice a lot of clubs getting in early with signing up players for the new season  

But it seems to be very quiet among the parkway and  the Cornish teams. 

in-fact I have not even seen a retained list of players for parkway so have no idea of the squad  , pre season games look very mediocre with no argyle and only 1 game at home  maybe the budget is vastly reduced this season and there are no  players coming in . ? 

30 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I notice a lot of clubs getting in early with signing up players for the new season  

in-fact I have not even seen a retained list of players for parkway so have no idea of the squad  , pre season games look very mediocre with no argyle and only 1 game at home  maybe the budget is vastly reduced this season and there are no  players coming in . ? 

Firstly, you can’t sign any players yet, and people are entitled to have a few weeks off. There is no rush as I’m sure conversations are happening in the background. Teams don’t like to show their hand too early.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

A few teams at Southern Prem and NLS level are making "announcements" regarding players, but pretty sure the transfer/registration window doesn't open until July 1st. See that Willand have made a load of these this evening, River Allen being amongst them.

New manager and new era both on and off the pitch at Parkway (see that they  are also looking to bring in a new directors and a finance director), so a bit of patience is required. Impressed with the interviews that Chris McPhee has given so far, excited to see what the squad will look like come August. Regardless of who the opposition is (beyond the obviously financial gain,not always sure how beneficial high profile friendlies are) , a strong and constructive pre season will be essential.

8 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

On the Argyle friendly front, I'm told that they weren't particularly happy with certain 'robust' challenges in last year's game and that Parkway aren't particularly concerned with losing the game, as both pre-match and on the day organisation cause more headaches than it's worth.

11 hours ago, tfenlon said:

On the Argyle friendly front, I'm told that they weren't particularly happy with certain 'robust' challenges in last year's game and that Parkway aren't particularly concerned with losing the game, as both pre-match and on the day organisation cause more headaches than it's worth.

"The annual pre season friendly is massively important to our club and helps the club to continue to grow.” - Mark Russell, Parkway Chair, October 2020

Bit of a change from that to, "more of a headache than it's worth."

I did read comments on PASOTI (Argyle fans forums) referencing some of the challenges meted out by Parkway players on their youngsters . No idea if this would have driven their thinking, but Argyle are by far the senior club here and will always do what's right for them.

Tom purrington has announced he left Plymouth Parkway.  2 key players gone.  him and Toby Down probably 2 of the better ones in the squad.  Hopefully some decent replacements lined to.  
also rumoured the keeper might be off that will be a blow. 

19 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Tom purrington has announced he left Plymouth Parkway.  2 key players gone.  him and Toby Down probably 2 of the better ones in the squad.  Hopefully some decent replacements lined to.  
also rumoured the keeper might be off that will be a blow. 

Always enjoy looking back on the comments made when these players sign. From Parkway website around 12 months ago;

" he looks to make the city his home once again for years to come." 

Purrington is now set to move to his 5th club in 5 seasons... 🙄

We’ll just seen the parkway retained list. 

Adam parkes and Reece Thompson leaving. 

parkes is a massive loss.  Not sure  how  you replace him. He pretty much kept parkway up. And loosing Reece but keeping Matt wright is also odd one.    

no mention of jack bray Evans or Ryan lane anyway 

only 8 retained and squad of 18 needed. Will be a busy recruitment process. 

12 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

parkes is a massive loss.  Not sure  how  you replace him. He pretty much kept parkway up. And loosing Reece but keeping Matt wright is also odd one.    

No mention of Cameron Sangster either. Regarding Ryan Lane, after his ACL injury last season it will be a surprise if he plays much before the end of next season.

Will be a pre season at Parkway. After the debacle of last summers signings and announcements, hopefully the recruitment will be a bit more measured and low key.

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Matt Wright being retained a strange on. Offers very little and scoring record / goal threat is really poor. 

14 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Matt Wright being retained a strange on. Offers very little and scoring record / goal threat is really poor. 

Not always a given that because players appear on retained lists, they actually start the season with the club. Tom Bath was an example of this from last summer.

We'll see a lot of new faces and trialists in pre season for Parkway as Chris McPhee shapes the new look squad. Patience is the key here I would think.

10 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Not always a given that because players appear on retained lists, they actually start the season with the club. Tom Bath was an example of this from last summer.

We'll see a lot of new faces and trialists in pre season for Parkway as Chris McPhee shapes the new look squad. Patience is the key here I would think.

Can't wait to see these amateur teams putting trialist on the team sheet rather than their actual names 🤦 

8 minutes ago, tfenlon said:

And then accidentally leaking their own trialists on twitter, mentioning no names Alex Cairo

Remember that. Parkway assistant Karl Curtis talking in a swiftly edited post match interview about Alex Cairo's goal in a PSF v Taunton, when he was officially "A.Trialist."

On the subject of trialists, anybody want to make a prediction as to how many clubs Orlando Anker will appear for in pre season?

On 08/06/2024 at 15:15, sportsman10 said:

The lad scarff who suddenly quit on Tavistock hasn’t appeared on any teams social media as a signing yet.  
Maybe parkway or Ivybridge would be my guess for him. 

Understand he was effectively sacked by Tavistock, was told Stuart Henderson lost patience with his continual foul play and aggressive behaviour on the pitch. 

Despite him having a stated ambition of wanting to play higher than step 4 football, would think he has a lot to work on before the likes of Parkway (or even Truro) would be interested. Both Sides Of The Tamar has posted on this subject previously.

George Newton also now announced as joining Helston from St Blazey. Believe he's very highly rated, but does seem to have moved clubs several times already even this early in his career. 

Pressure will be on him and Reece Thomson to replace the goals of Ricky Shepherd and Curtis Damerell.

53 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

George Newton also now announced as joining Helston from St Blazey. Believe he's very highly rated, but does seem to have moved clubs several times already even this early in his career. 

Pressure will be on him and Reece Thomson to replace the goals of Ricky Shepherd and Curtis Damerell.

8 goals from 29 appearances for Blazey -according to 'Full Time'

Still nothing coming from Plymouth Parkway regarding players in. ( need at least 7 -8 going on the retained  list.
 All the teams around them seem to have strengthened and most players returning to pre season in a week or so . 
I guess it will be a team sheet full of“trialist “ to look fwd too   .  Very strange from a club that was often so pro social media to not have a maquee signing .  
Also no round are way documentary this time about last season  . Would have definitely  been interesting to see that . 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Still nothing coming from Plymouth Parkway regarding players in. ( need at least 7 -8 going on the retained  list.
 All the teams around them seem to have strengthened and most players returning to pre season in a week or so . 
I guess it will be a team sheet full of“trialist “ to look fwd too   .  Very strange from a club that was often so pro social media to not have a maquee signing .  
Also no round are way documentary this time about last season  . Would have definitely  been interesting to see that . 

I'm quite relaxed about this. Rather the club went about their pre season business quietly, efficiently and without fanfare. Far better this in my opinion than last summers big announcements, slick videos and glossy interviews with new signings who, for the most part, were complete blow outs.  Believe as well that the transfer and registration window hasn't actually opened yet, and that any new players announced are just agreements not signings.

Patience will very much be the key for Parkway fans. It is going to be a very different looking side come August, and supporters will also see a different style of management under Chris McPhee and Lee Peacock. Not clear as well if Matt Godfree and Stuart Dudley will remain as part of the coaching staff .

I would also love to see Round Our Way come back one day. It was certainly a very candid, warts and all, look behind the scenes of a non league club. Believe though that the person who spent many, many hours capturing and editing the footage and content as part of his university studies, now has a full time job so cannot commit to doing this any longer.

Ryan Brett becomes Chris McPhee's first signing for Parkway as he starts to revamp the squad. 

Plymouth based ,very experienced at this level and above, can play in several positions, looks to me like a decent addition. Hopefully can have the same sort of impact that Shane White did when he joined from Truro last season.

38 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Ryan Brett becomes Chris McPhee's first signing for Parkway as he starts to revamp the squad. 

Plymouth based ,very experienced at this level and above, can play in several positions, looks to me like a decent addition. Hopefully can have the same sort of impact that Shane White did when he joined from Truro last season.

Decent player not sure of his age ? But him Matt wright and Shane white do offer a lot of   Experience now.  add Mikey Williams as well maybe parkway want a core of older players.  
don’t think he ever really got going at Truro seem to be on the bench a lot. Maybe dropping down he will find his form.  Good to get a player through the door. 

Adam Parkes joins Taunton, heard rumours that Ed Palmer may be next.

They must have found a lot of money from somewhere (or somebody). Remember last season they had winding up orders against them, transfer embargoes imposed and couldn't pay wages.

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Adam Parkes joins Taunton, heard rumours that Ed Palmer may be next.

They must have found a lot of money from somewhere (or somebody). Remember last season they had winding up orders against them, transfer embargoes imposed and couldn't pay wages.

I thought Taunton were concentrating more on local based players and were not going down the money route. Or that was certainly the impression at the Q@A session. They must be favourites to go back up. Building a very good team the lad the signed from bath was  Player of year and people shocked ti see him drop down a league. 

On 14/06/2024 at 12:07, sportsman10 said:

Decent player not sure of his age ? But him Matt wright and Shane white do offer a lot of   Experience now.  add Mikey Williams as well maybe parkway want a core of older players.  
don’t think he ever really got going at Truro seem to be on the bench a lot. Maybe dropping down he will find his form.  Good to get a player through the door. 

Will do a job but pretty unremarkable last season at TCFC. Not a signing to get excited about PPFC fans!

Heard that both Carlo Garside and River Allen were in the bag for Tavistock before Willand nipped in with better offers. Stuart Henderson now having to look elsewhere,  Ruben Kane from SWPL Liskeard (good player as he is at step 6) isn't of the same calibre as Allen and Garside.

47 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Kai Cornish moves to Falmouth Town from Helston Ath, Confirmed on Twitter (X)

JW

Interesting signing.  Good local player.  I wonder if Helston will have a reset this year and recruit mainly Devon or East Cornwall based players given the travelling.  Also the training in Saltash is probably not very appealing to West Cornwall based players.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Interesting signing.  Good local player.  I wonder if Helston will have a reset this year and recruit mainly Devon or East Cornwall based players given the travelling.  Also the training in Saltash is probably not very appealing to West Cornwall based players.

Times like this we need Le Boss back on the forum,although I'd wager he's  still keeping an eye on it as a guest.

Didn't start many games, was mainly used as a sub and only started playing when one of the front three was missing towards the end of the season.

Whenever I saw him, never had a bad game on the occasions I saw him, always thought he was a decent player, maybe a little unlucky, could have been a regular elsewhere.

Should do well at Falmouth.

4 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Fair & good point.  Think you maybe right with the East Cornwall/English players coming in.

Would also be interesting how the only "local" lad Harris Jewell gets on!  to be perfectly honest, id like to see him follow Mr Cornish to Bickland Park.

JW