Cornwall Football Forum

RAPPO’S BOOK ⚽️

RAPPO

The book is finally out ladies & gents! Thanks to Mr Mike Truscott for approaching me in the first place and to my old mate and Premiership keeper Kevin Miller for putting Mike in touch with me. I’ve really enjoyed our weekly chats going over some great and not so great times! I’ve tried to be as honest as I can remember good or bad and theres a few stories I’ve had to leave out!! 😂👍 Thanks to my wife Rach for having about 30 scrapbooks lying around her usually tidy lounge for about a year and our constant trips to the storage unit to dig out some old footy memorabilia that she reckons I should have chucked away years ago!! 😀

The main aim in all of this though is to raise money for a great cause, Cancer Research. Mike has raised thousands for them over the years with his autobiographies etc and I’ve done so on a lesser scale with charity NHS football matches etc. It means a lot to me having lost both my parents and all 4 grandparents to it and I know it’s affected almost every family out there in one way or another. Been lucky to have played in some very good teams with excellent players over my 40 odd years in football and with some amazing characters and friends. If anyone wants a copy it’s a fiver for the charity and I’ll be at my beloved Falmouth Town on Saturday 14th October for an hour before and an hour after the game v Shepton Mallet 3pm if you want a signed one ✏️📗

If anyone can’t make it that day, just drop me a text 07455987850 or a message on here and I’ll make sure I sort one for you in the post etc? The more the merrier to raise as much as possible!! Hope you enjoy it and if you don’t the pages are quite soft so handy to read on the toilet and if you should run out of paper one day!! 👍🤔😀 Thanks for listening and enjoy your Cornish footy 👍️ 

PS) Mike has just started Tommy Matthews autobiography so keep your eye out for Toms book over the next year as well. What a defender and fantastic team mate and friend Tom was and still is! A proper Falmouth boy, one of their own! 💛🖤 as the song goes! I was an adopted Falmouth boy from Truro which never went down too well in my home City! 😂️ All the best everyone 👍

Screenshot_20231002_151826_Instagram.jpg

Hate to break this to you Mark, but Tom is a Porthlevener. We played both Football & cricket together for Porthleven when we were teenagers & Tom’s Dad Perkins was a brilliant wicket keeper. However, like you, I am sure he happy being a adopted Falmouth boy. 

Good luck with the book though Mate, I’m sure it will be a fantastic read for a fantastic cause. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

You’re right Kev and they were great days too! 
It’s a real privilege to have someone interested enough in you to write a book and having had a copy of Rappo’s for a week or more now I urge everyone to get a copy. It’s a great read about “proper football” that we can all connect with. The proceeds are going to cancer charities and having lost both my parents to this horrible disease I can’t think of a better way of spending £5. 

17 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

You’re right Kev and they were great days too! 
It’s a real privilege to have someone interested enough in you to write a book and having had a copy of Rappo’s for a week or more now I urge everyone to get a copy. It’s a great read about “proper football” that we can all connect with. The proceeds are going to cancer charities and having lost both my parents to this horrible disease I can’t think of a better way of spending £5. 

Looking forward to getting hold of a copy of Rappo's book, sure a biography of Tommy Matthews will also make a great read. Made me think about all the other stories there are regarding individuals and clubs within Cornish football, the worry is that we are now losing the people who could help to tell these. 

One obvious book that would make a great (and probably alarming) read would be an account of the Kevin Heaney Truro City years from the various insiders including supporters, club officers, various managers and players . From mid table in the South Western League to FA Vase glory at Wembley, multiple promotions and dreams of professional football and new stadiums, to winding up orders and administration all within 8 seasons. It would make quite a story.

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Looking forward to getting hold of a copy of Rappo's book, sure a biography of Tommy Matthews will also make a great read. Made me think about all the other stories there are regarding individuals and clubs within Cornish football, the worry is that we are now losing the people who could help to tell these. 

One obvious book that would make a great (and probably alarming) read would be an account of the Kevin Heaney Truro City years from the various insiders including supporters, club officers, various managers and players . From mid table in the South Western League to FA Vase glory at Wembley, multiple promotions and dreams of professional football and new stadiums, to winding up orders and administration all within 8 seasons. It would make quite a story.

How many times have I thought the same! 

Rappo , I've left you a message on your phone , hopefully you'll get it or at least understand the Norfolk accent , asking you to e mail me your address so I can buy a copy of your book . I didn't want to post my e mail address on here , you know what the price of celebrity fame is , I'll have thousands of people e mailing me or camping outside my house for selfies . 

Hi Fenman, apologies mate, I was at work with 126 people in ED and 18 ambulances outside queuing up which I play a small part in. Started at 7pm and had my first cup of tea at 1.30am!! Hopefully replied and sorted now mate!! Also a massive thanks to everyone so far, over 200 orders in 5 days and the signing to come at Bickland on Saturday. And to think I was worried no one would want one! 🤔👍😃 humbled to say the least 👏🏼

I think you might be suprised about the interest in books about local football Rappo . I played in the Norwich Thursday League in the 1970's , 1980's . The league folded i the 1990's . 3 years ago somebody wrote a history of it  thinking it might sell a few copies . Demand was so great they had to do 3 reprints .

Yeah think you’re right Fenman!! Hope people like it!? 😁 hearing from old friends and colleagues that I’ve not seen for years, could probably have done with another 50 pages really to cover it all and there’s some people I never even got to mention, but as I’m sure Tommy is probably finding doing his at the moment 50’000 odd words which is Mikes guideline for his books goes pretty quickly!?! 

Thanks Mauler! Good old Vidal! Looking forward to seeing everyone on the day! And to watch my beloved Town of course!! 💛🖤️ see you Saturday mate 👍 

Hi Steve, don’t think Mike has got that agreement with the shop in town anymore after Kev’s book the last time. I basically did a signing at Bickland yesterday before and after the game and they’re virtually all gone!! So amazing to see so many old friends yesterday, still getting over it really mate!! 🧡🖤 There’s a list of 150+ more people that want one at the moment so Mikes gonna get more printed off ready for about 2 weeks time so just drop me a text on the above number and I’ll get it sorted Steve. Hope you’re well mate 👍

Will leave this message hear rather than adding another message to Rappo's probably overflowing inbox.

My copy was waiting for me when I got home, really looking forward to reading it (although I came up across a picture in the middle that might well put me off my dinner later 😁).

Thanks also for the lovely handwritten words inside the front cover.

Just finished reading it Rappo , I really enjoyed it . One of the things that interested me was you saying you spent hours  training and playing on " The Dump " as a young boy . Interesting enough I was listening to Chris Hoddle last year talking about modern young players . He was saying that many of them start playing at 8 years old for a team . His opinion was that because  they then only played in matches they missed out on gaining skill in ball control etc. . Years ago young boys ( mainly boys ) spent hours  playing with makeshift goals , jumpers for goal posts , with sometimes only 3 players , so it was 2 v 1  or playing 3 and in if there was 3 or more . Or as you mention games with large number , 15 or 16 aside with adults included . As a result of this young players unwittingly gained a lot of skill  and gained confidence in mixing with adults .And at 14 or 15 were ready for adult football .Also there were contests between friends in who could keep the ball using feet head and knees . He believes that because this no longer happens players skills have dropped . Watching  a bit of village football ( as I call it , the equivalent of the old Duchy level ) over the years and from experience of running a team at that level  I have thought that in the last 25 / 30 years the standard has dropped tremendously . There are still the odd very good players but the rest are very poor . This is a view shared by many others involved at grass roots level ( or following the recent storms  water level  , in fact there's been so much rain up here that players are having Plimsole lines marked on their boots ) 

I wonder if this lack of skill is down to the fact that young players don't spend their hours playing or practising on places like " the Dump " any more but are more interested in playing in an organised game .

Apologies for the poor puns . For none seafarers , a Plimsole line is the mark on a ship showing the safe loading level .

Sorry Fenman, had a busy football free weekend up Scotland in the end!! Glad you liked it mate and thanks for the donation, all going really well so far, chuffed to say the least!! 👍👏🏼. Yeah the Dump in Malabar was a real hotbed of football talent!! Think over the years I played there all the time, from the age of about 6-15, sometimes 30 a side games on an 8 a side size pitch!! We could have easily picked a side that would have held its own in the SWL!! Totally agree with you though, I’m sure some of the young kids natural talent is coached out of them at an early age! Not sure any young kid should worry about tactics or formations etc until they’re at least 12 years old!! Let them love and enjoy the game first!! 👍

And this is why we have relatively young aged players leaving the game early as they’re purely fed up of it by the time they reach 28, some have been playing in organised games from the age of 8. Can there be too much football at such a young age, let them enjoy the sport we all love.

Ive recently been watching Bobby and his Pro20 coaches running the soccer school next To Lux Park on Saturday mornings and I’m glad to say the emphasis is on enjoyment and skills and not tactics forced upon the young’ us, and it’s definitely working looking at the increase in numbers each week.

30 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

And this is why we have relatively young aged players leaving the game early as they’re purely fed up of it by the time they reach 28, some have been playing in organised games from the age of 8. Can there be too much football at such a young age, let them enjoy the sport we all love.

Ive recently been watching Bobby and his Pro20 coaches running the soccer school next To Lux Park on Saturday mornings and I’m glad to say the emphasis is on enjoyment and skills and not tactics forced upon the young’ us, and it’s definitely working looking at the increase in numbers each week.

A lot in that Jon.

Used to work with someone who's lad went through the Argyle sausage machine from 9 up to 16, then joined Portsmouth , until he was released by them when he was 18. After that, he walked away from the game completely. Every bit of love and passion for football had been coached out of him

Saw a post on social media recently about a DJM team looking for "experienced players". They were under 9's... 

17 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Sorry Fenman, had a busy football free weekend up Scotland in the end!! Glad you liked it mate and thanks for the donation, all going really well so far, chuffed to say the least!! 👍👏🏼. Yeah the Dump in Malabar was a real hotbed of football talent!! Think over the years I played there all the time, from the age of about 6-15, sometimes 30 a side games on an 8 a side size pitch!! We could have easily picked a side that would have held its own in the SWL!! Totally agree with you though, I’m sure some of the young kids natural talent is coached out of them at an early age! Not sure any young kid should worry about tactics or formations etc until they’re at least 12 years old!! Let them love and enjoy the game first!! 👍

Problem is Rappo that those spaces where you can have those mass games of impromptu football are becoming scarce. Probably still a few around in rural Cornwall (where kids probably don't live anymore) but I would imagine that the "dump in Marabar" (and its like elsewhere)  is probably a housing estate now.  This no doubt has roads and paved areas filled with moving and parked cars, and plenty of "No Ball Games" signs. 

10 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I could talk for ages about the problems with youth football and the ultimate drop off once players get into their teens!!

sounds a quality book, will have to look to get one. I’ll be disappointed if Silence of the lambs and Mike counter aren’t mentioned. 

About 3 quarters of the way through it. At the risk of sounding like I'm blowing smoke up Rappo's whatever,  it is one of the better football autobiographies that I've read. 

Phew !!!! I'm not alone in my dislike of SOME  youth football . Obviously some youth football is well structured as part of an academy with well meaning people . But the majority , and this is from my observation and experience over the past 25 or so years , are run for the benefit of the coaches own children and once they finish playing for whatever reason the coach  folds the team . Many of the children who  were involved with the team found it an unpleasant experience  being shouted at for mistakes  at 9 or 10 years old and ever played as an adult as a result . As an example my grandsons team at 13 years old were expected to play a 3 .4.3 system  without the thought that many amateur men's team would struggle  to keep pace with .

One other thing that I found when i signed several  16 years old ex youth team players   was that most of them , because they'd  been praised up as young players in their youth team , refused to listen to anyone  as regards tactics or fitness , as a result that particular team  which theoretically was the best team in the league was 2nd or 3rd best for a couple of seasons . I even got and old boy ( old boy !!!!!!! I can talk about being old ) who use to be a coach at QPR  in the 60's to help them with tactics and fitness . They ignored him and he gave up . A friend of mine who played semi pro at Rappo's standard  under ex . Irish international Sammy Morgan  was a very successful club manager and managed the Norfolk County team for a few years as well . He had the same problems with ex youth players and gave up in  exasperation in the end and in spite of several approachs has vowed never to be involved again .

For once I agree with you St. Darren , not that I always disagree with you .

Thanks WOTP, appreciate that mate! Been chuffed with the feedback it’s had so far! To be fair Mike wrote it so he deserves the credit for what went in it really, Cos a lot didn’t make it in!! 👏🏼👍️ 

Yeah you’re actually spot on! Even the Dump has had a cycle path built through it and more houses built above it in the next field!! It’s more of a 6 a side pitch these days with full size goals!! I’m guessing it’ll be gone altogether in a few years. Looks deserted these days! When my mum died and we emptied her house etc, I had one last walk on the Dump remembering all those great games, players and times and it looked a bit small with the grass up around my ankles. Guessing the need to get it cut ain’t as urgent as in those old days in the 70s and 80s!! 🤔😔️ Glad I was a kid when I was though! 👍

• 1 month later...

Rappos book has travelled to the continent !!!!!!   I lent my mate a copy  and he read it on his European cruise last week . He enjoyed it  and said he will always be reminded  of it when he hears the Bay of Biscay mentioned  .  I gather that the ship was moving about a bit in a storm as his ship crossed it and he was trying to read the book .