Cornwall Football Forum

Bucks looking strong? Cal Watson joins too

Huge fan of Cal and delighted to see the ‘divine hairband’ commit to the Bucks. I loved watching him in a Tavi shirt and, it often seemed, that if Cal played well so did the Lambs.

Nice too that don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything bad about him as a lad too. Good luck at Homers Heath!

Bucks were the first non league team to capture my interest. I’ve watched a lot of Tavi in recent seasons so seeing Watson and Josh R in a yellow shirt will drag me over to Homers Heath a bit more this coming season. 

i’ve always though Watson had the *potential* to play higher, but for that he needs to add more goals to his game. Add that and you’ve got a hell of a player!

With the excellent Dan Hart aided by Danny Lewis I think the Bucks could be challengers at the top of the WL  How nice it would be for people to talk about the facilities, welcome AND *team* That said, Helston look frighteningly strong too. A good season ahead in the WL

2 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Decent signing, pleased with that. 

Not so sure. Flattered to deceive a bit at Parkway, and then seemed to be someone they tried to fit in at Helston (was playing as a left wing back in the highlights packages I saw).

Played his best football in the couple of spells he had at Tavi, believe he lives in the area.

21 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

And your source is? More mischief making from an outsider I feel. 

Not mischief making at all my friend and actually hope it pays as promotion would be a great achievement. 

Would feel it is pretty self explanatory however. A Player coming in from Tavistock who was on 3 figure wages and now a former Helston player who was also on 3 figure wages tells me that they are going all out for promotion and knowing Buckland have never paid huge amounts of money tells me everything.

Hope they achieve their end goal but again, the Manager has been told that all this spend most result in promotion.

Does seem Buckland are going for it. Same as any team wanting to win it, you need money. 
Agreed with another commenter regarding strike forces, Barnstaple look strong, Buckland decent, but in my opinion, the form Helston showed to win 2 cups, then adding Curtis Damerell who was close to being top goal scorer makes them look lethal. (Torpoint have lost goals but then added in Lorenz who if can stay fit is a predator) 
Any news on Bridgewater signings?

3 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Not mischief making at all my friend and actually hope it pays as promotion would be a great achievement. 

Would feel it is pretty self explanatory however. A Player coming in from Tavistock who was on 3 figure wages and now a former Helston player who was also on 3 figure wages tells me that they are going all out for promotion and knowing Buckland have never paid huge amounts of money tells me everything.

Hope they achieve their end goal but again, the Manager has been told that all this spend most result in promotion.

No pressure on the Manager at all… Launceston -Target achieved

Buckland Top 6 - Target achieved

This season.. Top 4 within Budget - See what happens

9/10 Players and Management on contract and most for 2 years minimum

It’s a club doing things properly but at the end of the day what happens … Happens ! 
A few more additions required to complete the squad but nearly ready to go

Torpoint and Helston will also be strong so a good season ahead I think

7 hours ago, Fan of all ball said:

Does seem Buckland are going for it. Same as any team wanting to win it, you need money. 
Agreed with another commenter regarding strike forces, Barnstaple look strong, Buckland decent, but in my opinion, the form Helston showed to win 2 cups, then adding Curtis Damerell who was close to being top goal scorer makes them look lethal. (Torpoint have lost goals but then added in Lorenz who if can stay fit is a predator) 
Any news on Bridgewater signings?

It's about time Buckland were challenging from promotion from this League the set up there looks all ready for Southern League football but since finishing 2nd to Melksham 7 or 8 years ago now they have not really threatened and have since seen other Devon clubs like Willand, Parkway, Exmouth, Tavistock & Cornish Mousehole all get promoted.

On Birdgwater have lost their top scorer from last season. They've Signed Clevedon's top scorer to replace him he's a decent player but probably a slight downgrade. They've also added Wells' top scorer from last season who was one of the top scorers in Western League Div 1 last season but personally I'm unsure how effective he will be in the Premier Division. I also would not be surprised if Bridgwater lost their centre half Spence as he is much to good to be playing Western League.

Personally I'm not expecting Bridgwater to be challenging for the title this season, a fair bit has been going on off the pitch with them lately & I get the impression that it is going to result in less spending.

39 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

It's about time Buckland were challenging from promotion from this League the set up there looks all ready for Southern League football but since finishing 2nd to Melksham 7 or 8 years ago now they have not really threatened and have since seen other Devon clubs like Willand, Parkway, Exmouth, Tavistock & Cornish Mousehole all get promoted.

On Birdgwater have lost their top scorer from last season. They've Signed Clevedon's top scorer to replace him he's a decent player but probably a slight downgrade. They've also added Wells' top scorer from last season who was one of the top scorers in Western League Div 1 last season but personally I'm unsure how effective he will be in the Premier Division. I also would not be surprised if Bridgwater lost their centre half Spence as he is much to good to be playing Western League.

Personally I'm not expecting Bridgwater to be challenging for the title this season, a fair bit has been going on off the pitch with them lately & I get the impression that it is going to result in less spending.

That 2017/18 season when they finished runners up after having to play 11 games in the last 16 days, seemed to knock the club sideways. Been a bit of a revolving door manager wise since then as well, looks like they have stabilised under Dan Hart. The ground, facilities and the people behind the scenes (yes, mentioned those three things again) have been step 4 ready for a while, about time it was followed up on the pitch. It will be interesting to see how they carry the mantle of being (many people's) favourites for the title.

11 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

It’s a club doing things properly but at the end of the day what happens … Happens ! 

I’m not sure I’d be happy with top 4 as the man putting his hand in his pocket at Homers. 

If there are 9/10 on contracts and some on 2 year deals I would venture a guess to say that’s a bigger budget than even Helston. I don’t imagine even Parkway have that many on contracts and definitely not 2 year deals. That’s Conference South level investment. 

Looking at investment so far, I’d say a 3 horse race for two promotion spots with a chairman at either Helston, Buckland or Barnstaple being very very disappointed come May!

I look forward to watching on with interest.

34 minutes ago, Tom Malin said:

I’m not sure I’d be happy with top 4 as the man putting his hand in his pocket at Homers. 

If there are 9/10 on contracts and some on 2 year deals I would venture a guess to say that’s a bigger budget than even Helston. I don’t imagine even Parkway have that many on contracts and definitely not 2 year deals. That’s Conference South level investment. 

Looking at investment so far, I’d say a 3 horse race for two promotion spots with a chairman at either Helston, Buckland or Barnstaple being very very disappointed come May!

I look forward to watching on with interest.

The club is very much self funding with a number of young talented players and a few old heads. Sponsorship is the key aswell as growing the fan base ! 

That is gradually improving so see how it goes I guess.

Improvement on last season is the goal I guess

10 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Reece Shanley Confirmed today ! 
Another superb player entering his prime

Wouldn't say a superb player but will add value to the Team.

Needs to settle at a club for a period of time, think that's his fifth club in as many years.

Another Player though that wouldn't come cheap having been on top dollar at Helston.

11 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Wouldn't say a superb player but will add value to the Team.

Needs to settle at a club for a period of time, think that's his fifth club in as many years.

Another Player though that wouldn't come cheap having been on top dollar at Helston.

It seems really strange that you keep going on about money? A manager is given a budget per game for example, Plymouth Parkway probably about 2 grand

I’ve no doubt Buckland’s budget would be about 750÷16 players and management. 

as a rough guide, I would imagine that the total budget per game would be the average crowd money for example, 100 people at £8 would be £800 minus the amount for OAP reductions

anything above that would be an extreme risk to the clubs future. Which is probably why Saltash have realised that trying to compete is really a risky business.

7 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

It seems really strange that you keep going on about money? A manager is given a budget per game for example, Plymouth Parkway probably about 2 grand

as a rough guide, I would imagine that the total budget per game would be the average crowd money for example, 100 people at £8 would be £800 minus the amount for OAP reductions

anything above that would be an extreme risk to the clubs future. Which is probably why Saltash have realised that trying to compete is really a risky business.

You do seem to know a lot about the budget at Parkway and Buckland, inside track?

On 14/06/2023 at 08:57, rocky170267 said:

Helston favourites, but think the Bucks should be Top 4. The squad shaping up nicely!

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

2000 grand a game at parkway 😂lol.
 Ben Seymour was pulling in around £300-£400  quid on his own.
that leaves about £1600 to split between the other 15-16 players so each was on about £100 quid a game lol half them wouldn’t  get out bed for that.  

Quick question.  If players are on contracts with these clubs, would they be considered employees and liable for PAYE and NI?

33 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Quick question.  If players are on contracts with these clubs, would they be considered employees and liable for PAYE and NI?

Yes & earlier when somebody said Seymour was on that figure there not far off I’ve Ben told but it’s not per game it is per week. So 2 games a week sometimes 3. It’s not a lot really. There’s lads playing peninsula on over £100 per game! 

12 minutes ago, Plympep said:

Yes & earlier when somebody said Seymour was on that figure there not far off I’ve Ben told but it’s not per game it is per week. So 2 games a week sometimes 3. It’s not a lot really. There’s lads playing peninsula on over £100 per game! 

OK. So I'm guessing that the Peninsula players that are (allegedly) receiving over £100 per game in "expenses" are in, let's call it,  "informal arrangements."

Not quite sure why Parkway and their alleged budget have been dragged into the debate on the Western League section of the forum headed "Bucks looking strong etc..". Last time I looked they were in the Southern Premier League, 2 steps above Western League Buckland. Different leagues require different budgets. Too many noses being poked into other clubs business with no knowledge whatsoever and a large portion of speculation I'd suggest. Oh and they play in Devon not Cornwall!

On 15/06/2023 at 17:17, rocky170267 said:

I'm not sure that's how it works mate.....I guess general ground etc expenses need to be paid from the turnstile money........wages/expenses would then be covered by things such as sponsorship and bar revenue etc.......but......I have no inside knowledge

On 15/06/2023 at 17:17, rocky170267 said:

Saltash Budget apart from the odd couple of seasons when Mr Hendy was there has never been that great, just a good group of core local players that wanted to stay together. 

4 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Well a mate of mines dad's cousin knows a bloke who is friends with one of the players dad's sisters yoga instructor......and she swears blind they didn't get paid!!!!

Twas Dad's Sister's Judo Instructor, get it right!!😏