West Division

Helston Athletic    3-4   Mousehole Development

Illogan RBL    1-2    Truro City

Mullion    5-0    St. Agnes

Perranwell    0-0    Wendron United

Porthleven    8-0    Penryn Athletic

Redruth United    0-5    St. Day

Illogan 1, Truro City Reserves 2

A blood-and-thunder encounter, this, watched by a decent sized crowd. Goal-less 1st half with Truro playing down the slope and much end-to-end stuff. Truro's young side this time met the physical challenge of Illogan and matched them. Illogan had the measure of Truro's silly playing-from-the-back tactics and pressed well causing City to have to play more direct football, making for a more entertaining game between two sides who both wanted to win.

2nd half and Illogan facing their clubroom took about 45 seconds to open the scoring and I thought "that's it". A simple play through the middle saw the ball netted from close range. City held firm, though, mixing their newly found (or so it seemed to me) physicality with some light, skilful play and swift one-touch interpassing. They equalised on 57 with a header from a right wing corner and they won the 3 points when they caught an Illogan midfielder in possession allowing their solid young number 9 the chance to score in the 77th minute. They hung on and both sides had chances to score well into the 8 minutes of added-on time.

Disappointing for Illogan's fans but an excellent and entertaining game of football. Usual faces plus one or two from my Truro announcing days.

AFC St.Austell Res 1 Saltash Borough 3.

St.Austell a goal up at the break, but couldn't hold their visitors in the second period. 

No doubt the Borough Manager gave is sides a rocket at half time, they were much improved as a result of the team talk.

St.Austell had Damon Mulready and Dan Lean in central defence,  their maturity shone on a gloomy afternoon. 

43 minutes ago, David Bray said:

St.Austell a goal up at the break, but couldn't hold their visitors in the second period. 

No doubt the Borough Manager gave is sides a rocket at half time, they were much improved as a result of the team talk.

St.Austell had Damon Mulready and Dan Lean in central defence,  their maturity shone on a gloomy afternoon. 

Thank you, yeh we were second best the whole first half, I've said it before I'm not sure how you're down where you are - It was 4-1 in the end though 

1 hour ago, David Bray said:

No Kieran Powell at the back for them anymore? 

1 hour ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Truro’s “silly playing from the back tactic”? 
I witnessed a game today with a goalkeeper who launched it forward every time he had it and gave possession away almost every time. 
Play through the thirds and keep possession, sometimes it won’t work but at least try to play. 

Tom does come up with some proper nonsense on his view of games. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY 4TH FEBRUARY, 2023
4 hours ago, David Bray said:

Boros manager knows his stuff that's for sure,hes very clued up to say the least

16 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Truro’s “silly playing from the back tactic”? 
I witnessed a game today with a goalkeeper who launched it forward every time he had it and gave possession away almost every time. 
Play through the thirds and keep possession, sometimes it won’t work but at least try to play. 

Be interesting to hear the thoughts of playing from the back from some of the centre forwards we played against Tom.

I can imagine some choice language being thrown back at the goalkeeper & centre halves when it goes wrong.🤣😂🤣

16 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Tom does come up with some proper nonsense on his view of games. 

Better proper nonsense than improper nonsense!

This forum is an excellent add-on to terrace banter: opinions vary and debate goes to and fro. Playing at the back nonsense? "Team A completed 649 passes during the game, 73% possession". Yippee, when most of the passes and possession were in their own half and unopposed. Boring to watch, the only adrenalin rush caused when the opposition presses successfully and gains possession within shooting range. England do it, men and women, and it has me on the edge of my seat - with anxiety. Tommy and I discussed this at a game before lockdown and I fully understand the statistics, but that's a bit like putting accountants in charge of a school. If the game Tommy refers to resulted in 100% of the GK's long kicks being met by an opposing back then I'd want to know how the attacking team set itself up for second-phase possession. Sounds like a team where the manager tries to make a team play to his method without having the right players to do it. You need a 'keeper who can kick accurately and forwards good enough to win the ball AND direct their first touch to team mates who need to be quick enough to react. I just spectate now, so want to be entertained. Farting about between the back 5 isn't my idea of entertainment.

Yesterday, in my opinion, Illogan pressed effectively, preventing Truro from the fannying about at the back; and Truro, for their part, coped well with the press and were able to adapt their style appropriately and play forwards with skill and precision. Illogan didn't care to dwell on the ball at the back but played a lot of effective long balls, especially diagonally, to set up attacking chances. 

Two well-coached sides, I would say, producing an absorbing game to watch. At the end I said to the Truro couple beside me, "Well, we lost, but that was a good game to watch." Because that's how I felt. And, Kevin, yes, forwards in our day would have loathed the lack of possession by them due to the backs hogging it and sometimes giving away goals. The old Wimbledon mantra - You don't score goals from your own half - works for me! But you do need to build a team that can play that system.

If I was manager whose forwards couldn’t win a long clearance, I would tell the gk to kick the ball into touch near the halfway line and then contest the throw in.

And if I was a gk and my defence kept passing the ball back to me, I would simply kick it into touch. 
Not sure when the coaches will wise up, how many more unnecessary goals given away is it going to take?

I watched a game of junior football yesterday for only the second time. One team launched the ball at every opportunity, the other tried when possible to play out from the back and recognised when to pass beyond the press. One team contained 5-6 players responsible for coaching young players and I honestly didn’t know any of their opponents.  
Final score 0-7 and the home side didn’t have a decent attempt at goal. I’d go as far as to say that the best player they had was their keeper who stopped the score from being double figures, although systematically launching the ball forward played into the visitors hands. 
There’s a time and place to play out or play past the press and if the lads who are coaching our kids are doing what they’re preaching then I’m all for it. 
Yesterday the score line didn’t lie and even at junior football level it can be done if you have the players and the will to do it. 
Just my opinion and for the record I enjoyed watching the game. 

16 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

I watched a game of junior football yesterday for only the second time. One team launched the ball at every opportunity, the other tried when possible to play out from the back and recognised when to pass beyond the press. One team contained 5-6 players responsible for coaching young players and I honestly didn’t know any of their opponents.  
Final score 0-7 and the home side didn’t have a decent attempt at goal. I’d go as far as to say that the best player they had was their keeper who stopped the score from being double figures, although systematically launching the ball forward played into the visitors hands. 
There’s a time and place to play out or play past the press and if the lads who are coaching our kids are doing what they’re preaching then I’m all for it. 
Yesterday the score line didn’t lie and even at junior football level it can be done if you have the players and the will to do it. 
Just my opinion and for the record I enjoyed watching the game. 

Got to be coached from a young age. I sometime feels that youth football is more about the taking part than building a winning mentality and competing. It’s all too nicey nice now. I prefer to see a team wanting to play football but sometimes you got to play abit longer against certain opponents. When you watch youngsters abroad they seem to have a better knowledge of playing football from a young age. Don’t know if it’s better coaching they receive compared to here

3 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Got to be coached from a young age. I sometime feels that youth football is more about the taking part than building a winning mentality and competing. It’s all too nicey nice now. I prefer to see a team wanting to play football but sometimes you got to play abit longer against certain opponents. When you watch youngsters abroad they seem to have a better knowledge of playing football from a young age. Don’t know if it’s better coaching they receive compared to here

Well watching two sides from the same league play yesterday, it was like night and day. People can make their own minds up about the rights and wrongs of trying to keep possession. It’s not about statistics, it’s about being effective and 0-7 looked pretty effective. 

2 minutes ago, baldy said:

Ask Man C how they feel. 70 yds from their goal they follow the “must keep possession” mantra, take it all the way back to the edge of their own box, one poor pass, possession lost, 3 touches from Spurs, winning goal. Absolute madness.

Point absolutely taken Baldy, but they haven’t done too badly recently have they? 

On 05/02/2023 at 13:45, Tom Trust said:

Better proper nonsense than improper nonsense!

This forum is an excellent add-on to terrace banter: opinions vary and debate goes to and fro. Playing at the back nonsense? "Team A completed 649 passes during the game, 73% possession". Yippee, when most of the passes and possession were in their own half and unopposed. Boring to watch, the only adrenalin rush caused when the opposition presses successfully and gains possession within shooting range. England do it, men and women, and it has me on the edge of my seat - with anxiety. Tommy and I discussed this at a game before lockdown and I fully understand the statistics, but that's a bit like putting accountants in charge of a school. If the game Tommy refers to resulted in 100% of the GK's long kicks being met by an opposing back then I'd want to know how the attacking team set itself up for second-phase possession. Sounds like a team where the manager tries to make a team play to his method without having the right players to do it. You need a 'keeper who can kick accurately and forwards good enough to win the ball AND direct their first touch to team mates who need to be quick enough to react. I just spectate now, so want to be entertained. Farting about between the back 5 isn't my idea of entertainment.

Yesterday, in my opinion, Illogan pressed effectively, preventing Truro from the fannying about at the back; and Truro, for their part, coped well with the press and were able to adapt their style appropriately and play forwards with skill and precision. Illogan didn't care to dwell on the ball at the back but played a lot of effective long balls, especially diagonally, to set up attacking chances. 

Two well-coached sides, I would say, producing an absorbing game to watch. At the end I said to the Truro couple beside me, "Well, we lost, but that was a good game to watch." Because that's how I felt. And, Kevin, yes, forwards in our day would have loathed the lack of possession by them due to the backs hogging it and sometimes giving away goals. The old Wimbledon mantra - You don't score goals from your own half - works for me! But you do need to build a team that can play that system.

Thought as a neutral this would of been a good watch ..gutted for us not to get a point at least felt we deserved one .

Truro great side and if they do go onto win the league no complaints...especially when you can bring in such players as jack rice who's made 12 appearances for their first team and the quality of Jamie Lowry! 

First loss in a long time for us...time to start a new run 🏃‍♂️ 

Watched the game as a neutral and wondered who the player was who was making everything he did look very effortless and classy - realise now that it was Jamie Lowry - he made a big difference to his team on the day particularly in the position he played and with his great distribution and the fact that he always seemed to make the correct decision.