Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 31 January 2023

4 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Got to be Mousehole Tavi Fan. Their players budget plus their expensive GPS vests that measure heart rate etc are a massive pull for some players ;) . At Falmouth we attract young players that want to play at the iconic Bickland park in front of the biggest and best fan base in the West, the chance to pull on that black & amber shirt and play for Cornwalls most famous and successful football club. Mousehole will probably go up this season and if they go up as champions they can at least say they have actually won something and considering their financial outlay its about time.

Could it not be the fact that Mousehole have a magnificent steering committee who attract masses of sponsorship (running out of sponsorship room), Nike Academy training, development of a adjacent successful campsite, and a real desire to progress. 

I really don't think the lure of a GPS vest is enough to attract elite players (although Leeds United, Bolton Wanders etc) expect players from their academies to have access to full training aids.

Top management, the best pitch in the league & team that attracts the best players ...should and will pay off.

If we are lucky enough to gain promotion it will be a testament to the hard work put in throughout the club.

Up the 'hole  💚💚💚

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Does the county or national FA offer any sort of training or mentoring for club secretaries? Would seem a very useful thing to do.

Let’s be honest. 

When I took over from Colin at Saltash United I had to learn the job from him. Match days are relevantly simple, but you have to on the ball for suspensions, and the appeals process for yellow and reds  can be long and problematic. 

But the rules are off the scale. Team sheet wrong and you run the risk of a fine. Then you have to input on fulltime by a certain time- another fine. 

Then remember the cups all have different rules including when you can sign on, different subs (ahem) play players after a certain date (ahem again). The minute something goes wrong - you have social media/forums jumping on your throat. And that’s when you’re already feeling pretty s***y

To be fair to Phil Hiscox who has mentioned this on his podcast- there’s a lack of volunteers. But because of events this week who on earth is going to be Sec when you’re hauled over the coals by the officials, battered by internet. And to be blunt- no volunteers- no club. 

Training? Great idea. But even today when I ask the league about a genuine question about a possible player and I get from the league Sec ‘oh I don’t know’ - blindfold sudoku seems rather easy…. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Got to be Mousehole Tavi Fan. Their players budget plus their expensive GPS vests that measure heart rate etc are a massive pull for some players ;) . At Falmouth we attract young players that want to play at the iconic Bickland park in front of the biggest and best fan base in the West, the chance to pull on that black & amber shirt and play for Cornwalls most famous and successful football club. Mousehole will probably go up this season and if they go up as champions they can at least say they have actually won something and considering their financial outlay its about time.

All that fame and Jack still left 😆

On 04/02/2023 at 13:56, shots said:

Most people don’t realise how important a football secretary is. 
Worth their weight in gold. 

Good secretary’s you mean? It’s all very well hiding behind the volunteer argument.  But simply put ‘if you can’t do the job properly don’t do it at all!’ 

Both clubs who have been kicked out of cups this week have only have themselves to blame and in the case of Saltash it’s the second season running’ yet their man is on here making out he’s gods gift all the time.

Less time on here and Twitter-more time swatting up on the rules I’d suggest. 

Years ago we had a secretary at Falmouth called Mike Rowe. We were having a good run in the Vase plus the league and cups and the games were coming thick and fast. Mike was brilliant, he’d have already lined up the next game ahead of replays etc and if it wasn’t for his sheer professionalism I doubt we’d have had the success we did. A good secretary is worth plenty of points across a season and hats off to them all. They’re called out when they’re wrong but never acknowledged when they’re right. 

6 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Could it not be the fact that Mousehole have a magnificent steering committee who attract masses of sponsorship (running out of sponsorship room), Nike Academy training, development of a adjacent successful campsite, and a real desire to progress. 

I really don't think the lure of a GPS vest is enough to attract elite players (although Leeds United, Bolton Wanders etc) expect players from their academies to have access to full training aids.

Top management, the best pitch in the league & team that attracts the best players ...should and will pay off.

If we are lucky enough to gain promotion it will be a testament to the hard work put in throughout the club.

Up the 'hole  💚💚💚

Can I ask, How many trophies has your top management at mousehole won so far please?

7 hours ago, Hetty said:

Can I ask, How many trophies has your top management at mousehole won so far please?

As they are all new to management, at the moment nil ... But that's true to anybody starting in management ....hopefully soon to change though.

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Do they still have a flat the players can stay in to attract these kids from up north? 

I believe they do,  currently occupied by a Yorkshireman, a Portuguese and Frenchman, it's well documented in the Way Out West documentary, and again shows forward planning 😁👍

1 hour ago, Drumming Nutter said:

As they are all new to management, at the moment nil ... But that's true to anybody starting in management ....hopefully soon to change though.

I believe they do,  currently occupied by a Yorkshireman, a Portuguese and Frenchman, it's well documented in the Way Out West documentary, and again shows forward planning 😁👍

Sounds like the opening line to a joke.

"There's these three blokes sharing a flat in Cornwall.Yorkshireman, Portuguese and Frenchman..."

6 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Shouldn’t you be walking the league (not doing badly right now mind) if you can attract ex academy lads down to here and provide them with accommodation? I bet they aren’t coming down here to earn £20 a game either!

10 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Shouldn’t you be walking the league (not doing badly right now mind) if you can attract ex academy lads down to here and provide them with accommodation? I bet they aren’t coming down here to earn £20 a game either!

I've no idea (nor want to know) what each player is "on", I do know that some of the academy players get paid by their parent clubs, who are happy for them to get the best training available and a regular run out with a decent structured team.

What's the fascination with £'s per game ? How much do you earn Tavi Fan ? Don't answer because it's non of our business 😉  

20 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I would have thought a PPG of 2.32 would be acceptable to any forward looking club and should be sufficient to win the league.

18 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Looks to me like everybody came out of this move well.

Jack is a great lad WOTP, he obviously thought that Mousehole offered him a better chance of promotion this season than Town and he went for it, no bitterness here though we wish him well. Luke Brabyn has moved from the wing to centre forward and he is playing out of his skin with Ollie Walker & Timmy Nixon on the wings, an awesome front 3.  Town are on a journey, some will join us and some will get off but as long as Westys at the wheel we will be happy. .  

On 08/02/2023 at 21:28, silly billy said:

You spoke to soon 😁

Any team, can lose away to Buckland. They are a cracking team. We play them later today and it will be another real test for us. But all in all we are really enjoying this season, its tough and there has been losses but thats football. A top 8 finish for us in our first season back in the Western league would be great.

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Any team, can lose away to Buckland. They are a cracking team. We play them later today and it will be another real test for us. But all in all we are really enjoying this season, its tough and there has been losses but thats football. A top 8 finish for us in our first season back in the Western league would be great.

Looking forward to the trip down to you, going to be a decent match I think. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Buckland a year or two ahead of Falmouth, and have a nucleus of step 5 experienced players.  The whole point of promotion is to play against,and learn from, these stronger clubs. 

On 11/02/2023 at 08:03, Buckland Jim said:

Looking forward to the trip down to you, going to be a decent match I think. 

What an unbelievable bad decision the Buckland penalty was. Never seen anything like it. We are due a bit of luck against your lads however best of luck for the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

What an unbelievable bad decision the Buckland penalty was. Never seen anything like it. We are due a bit of luck against your lads however best of luck for the rest of the season. 

Yes, it was a bit fortuitous and had it been other way around I would probably have felt hard done by. You've got a very good side there who have found their feet, good luck for the rest of your season too and see you next season 🙂

On 06/02/2023 at 14:19, Tavi Fan said:

They've all got jobs outside the club, their accomodation is the main bit of "wage".....win-win situation for club and players alike.