Mullion 3rd                      A-A       Carharrack (played at Carharrack

Lanner                               2-3         Constantine Reserves

Probus                              5-3         Lizard Argyle Reserves

St  Agnes 3rd                    2-5         Dropship

DIVISION 4

Dropship Reserves          1-7         Wendron United 5th

Falmouth Utd Res           2-1         Helston Raiders

Goonhavern Ath 3rd      1-0         Storm

Carharrack 1 Mullion 3rds 0 - match abandoned at half-time.

As I drove home I couldn't work out how to begin my report. My wife, disturbed by my early arrival and having listened to my account of the afternoon's events, said "whatever you do, don't call them snowflakes!" "Thank you," I said: "You have just given me my intro."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUH6I5m--M   This was the FA CUP FINAL REPLAY in 1970. Look at how much grass there is on the pitch: less than at Carharrack today. Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOoXsZBwSUg This was at a senior non-league club playing a First Division side. Would Mullion have refused to play on that?

You reach my age finding that you see a lot of things you can't believe and this afternoon at Carharrack was another one. I'm told that some of the Mullion squad were embarrassed by the decision by a minority of their team-mates who, at half-time, declared that they felt "uncomfortable" playing on as they considered the surface to be "unsafe". I was taken out onto the pitch as I had asked to be shown the worst bit. There was not a solitary drop of water to be seen anywhere. The divots did not hold any water. Where you could see the earth beneath the grass you could see stud marks. Just the studs: boots weren't sinking into the mud. Now, make a turn at full speed, make a slide tackle and yes, the surface was soft enough to cut up into a groundsman's nightmare; but I'm sorry, those who considered the surface unsafe: it was playable. Not so hot for the ball-player with close skills but ideal for the less skilled journeyman such as myself. I won't use the phrase "perfectly playable" because that would have to be a bowling green and the bowling club might object to football being played on it.

Can I point out to those-whom-my-wife-told-me-not-to call-snowflakes that tackling is dangerous: you might break your leg (I did in 1970). Best not play, then. Standing in a defensive wall and getting the free-kick right in your goolies can be dangerous: best not to stand in a defensive wall. Goalkeeping can be dangerous (e.g. Bert Trautmann, 1956 Cup Final) so best not to play in goal. And so on. So best hang  up your boots and take up knitting if you want to avoid danger.

Still, Val's bacon butties are still excellent at £2, hot choc £1, tea £1 - at least I got some enjoyment.

Oh, first half excellent end-to-end stuff, Ryan Treloar scoring on 24 mins, speculative shot from outside the box which the 'keeper should have saved, though fortunately his confidence wasn't affected as he made some good saves and punched clearances after the goal, and the home 'keeper kept it at 1 - 0 with a really good save, setting Carharrack up nicely for the 2nd half down the slope.

A few, very few, raindrops fell during half time but fortunately it wasn't too cold otherwise they may have come down as snowflakes, which can halt games....

Stithians 4-3 Camborne school of mines

Howard Vague Pen

Tom Pryor

Alex Hennessey

Jamie Barkle

Massive win for us today was 3-1 up with 25 to go them CSM pulled it back 3-3. Then with 5 to go a Jamie Barkle shot went in from a goalkeeping error. Then with 2 mins  CSM got a free kick which looked like it was in some how the keeper managed finger tips to keep it out.

2 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Carharrack 1 Mullion 3rds 0 - match abandoned at half-time.

As I drove home I couldn't work out how to begin my report. My wife, disturbed by my early arrival and having listened to my account of the afternoon's events, said "whatever you do, don't call them snowflakes!" "Thank you," I said: "You have just given me my intro."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUH6I5m--M   This was the FA CUP FINAL REPLAY in 1970. Look at how much grass there is on the pitch: less than at Carharrack today. Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOoXsZBwSUg This was at a senior non-league club playing a First Division side. Would Mullion have refused to play on that?

You reach my age finding that you see a lot of things you can't believe and this afternoon at Carharrack was another one. I'm told that some of the Mullion squad were embarrassed by the decision by a minority of their team-mates who, at half-time, declared that they felt "uncomfortable" playing on as they considered the surface to be "unsafe". I was taken out onto the pitch as I had asked to be shown the worst bit. There was not a solitary drop of water to be seen anywhere. The divots did not hold any water. Where you could see the earth beneath the grass you could see stud marks. Just the studs: boots weren't sinking into the mud. Now, make a turn at full speed, make a slide tackle and yes, the surface was soft enough to cut up into a groundsman's nightmare; but I'm sorry, those who considered the surface unsafe: it was playable. Not so hot for the ball-player with close skills but ideal for the less skilled journeyman such as myself. I won't use the phrase "perfectly playable" because that would have to be a bowling green and the bowling club might object to football being played on it.

Can I point out to those-whom-my-wife-told-me-not-to call-snowflakes that tackling is dangerous: you might break your leg (I did in 1970). Best not play, then. Standing in a defensive wall and getting the free-kick right in your goolies can be dangerous: best not to stand in a defensive wall. Goalkeeping can be dangerous (e.g. Bert Trautmann, 1956 Cup Final) so best not to play in goal. And so on. So best hang  up your boots and take up knitting if you want to avoid danger.

Still, Val's bacon butties are still excellent at £2, hot choc £1, tea £1 - at least I got some enjoyment.

Oh, first half excellent end-to-end stuff, Ryan Treloar scoring on 24 mins, speculative shot from outside the box which the 'keeper should have saved, though fortunately his confidence wasn't affected as he made some good saves and punched clearances after the goal, and the home 'keeper kept it at 1 - 0 with a really good save, setting Carharrack up nicely for the 2nd half down the slope.

A few, very few, raindrops fell during half time but fortunately it wasn't too cold otherwise they may have come down as snowflakes, which can halt games....

Snowflakes definitely halted this game Tom. 
 Embarrassing from mullion rushed over from work to catch this wish I hadn’t bothered.

Probus 5 (Jamie Bilkey, Jack Truscott, Tom Rhodes, Oscar Thomas-Donald, Ethan Gatley) Lizard Argyle Reserves 3

Trelawny 3

The game kicked off at 2pm to allow some of the away teams players to get back in time for work, but it appeared as though no-one let our players know because it took us half an hour to get going! We took the lead after 30 minutes when the first real bit of football we played, involving 5 players, led to full back Tom Rhodes crossing to the far post for Jamie Bilkey to head home. Straight from the restart we won the ball back and Jamie Bilkey crossed from the left to Jack Truscott who controlled the ball and finished well. Lizard had a shot from their centre forward go wide of the target from 20 yards, when he could have carried the ball forward and caused us more concern. We scored again just before half time, when Ben Emmett’s corner was headed home by Tom Rhodes. 3-0 at halftime.

We increased our lead after 57 minutes when substitute Oscar Thomas-Donald slid in to poke the ball home in a 50/50 with the visiting defender. Straight away we switched off and the lone Lizard forward hit a low shot into the corner to reduce the arrears to 4-1. With less than 20 minutes to go, Jack Truscott beat several defenders before unselfishly rolling the ball the Ethan Gatley to tap home from 6 yards. To their credit, Lizard never gave up and got another goal when a shot was fumbled by Sam Jones in goal for us and tapped home from close range. The away team completed the scoring when they won a free kick about 25 yards out. The full back struck the ball towards goal but it was going straight for our wall who all  did a brilliant job of turning out of the way, allowing the ball to head towards goal, however Sam Jones couldn’t deal with it because he was unsighted and a penalty for a foul would have been awarded if the ball didn’t end in the net. That was the worst defensive wall I’ve ever seen! Final score 5-3.

Lizard played well and kept going until the last minute, whereas we were poor and very fortunate to get a result. Too many silly mistakes but a win is a win after all! Thanks to Pete Keam for refereeing and to the Lizard lads who came back for a drink and food. Another tough game next week, away to Lanner, the first of 3 away games in a row.

4 hours ago, Tom Trust said:I'm told that some of the Mullion squad were embarrassed by the decision by a minority of their team-mates who, at half-time, declared that they felt "uncomfortable" playing on as they considered the surface to be "unsafe".

Points go to Carharrack then? I assume the ref is the only one to decide if it’s playable. If the team don’t want to play, they lose?

That would be my conclusion. I suppose a lot depends on the ref's report. Don't know his name but he had a very good 1st half and clearly expected the game to resume after the break.

"Don't want to play, the sun's in our eyes!" (Just thought of a possible future excuse for teams losing at half time on a sunny winter's day!)

Trelawny Div 1 

St Erme 2-3 Penzance Reserves

Talking of referees. The young lad who officiated our game today was excellent as have been almost every younger ref we have seen this season. I can't name him as full-time has two names pencilled in! 

We, in the county, have a really good crop coming through the ranks. I just hope they don't jump the leagues and come up against some of the "problem teams", we all know about. The ones that surround and berate the referee at every decision they make. 

It's just a pity we don't see women, ex players and people from ethnic minorities taking up the whistle.

Goonhavern 1 storm 0

a lot of ring rust for storm playing their first game since November cos of covid and weather 

a draw would have been the acceptable result but hey it wasn’t to be

well reffed by Anita and both teams actually played football and finished the game 

onwards to next week for storm and cheers to Goonhavern for the game

7 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Trelawny Div 1 

St Erme 2-3 Penzance Reserves

Talking of referees. The young lad who officiated our game today was excellent as have been almost every younger ref we have seen this season. I can't name him as full-time has two names pencilled in! 

We, in the county, have a really good crop coming through the ranks. I just hope they don't jump the leagues and come up against some of the "problem teams", we all know about. The ones that surround and berate the referee at every decision they make. 

It's just a pity we don't see women, ex players and people from ethnic minorities taking up the whistle.

Leigh Michael in only his second game!

The other name is the mentor.

Constantine (2) 4 -v- 4 (0) Newlyn Non Athletico

1-0, 2-0, HT, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4.

Home team went down to 10 men halfway through first half! However, they put in a very good, hardworking performance and dare I say deserved something out the game. Not the greatest footballing spectacle in the world. But competitive local football, and long may this continue.

55 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Constantine (2) 4 -v- 4 (0) Newlyn Non Athletico

1-0, 2-0, HT, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4.

Home team went down to 10 men halfway through first half! However, they put in a very good, hardworking performance and dare I say deserved something out the game. Not the greatest footballing spectacle in the world. But competitive local football, and long may this continue.

Sounds like this match was end to end action for the spectator.

1 hour ago, Richard Chown said:

Sounds like this match was end to end action for the spectator.

Well, like I say, not a great footballing spectacle, but goals, a red card, yellow cards, a penalty, disallowed goals, rain, mud, sloping pitch, handbags and handshakes.

Twenty two (one) blokes giving it all, 90 minutes, everything matters, battling for the ball, chasing lost causes, neat passing moves, long balls, huge clearances, banter. 

Free entertainment for those who bother going to watch local football. 

7 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

Leigh is one of our former players and it’s great to hear him getting good feedback as he starts out as a referee 👍

Me and my mate driving home were praising him to high heaven.

Like I say there have been a great crop of younger referees this season. 

Give them "non controversial" games to referee and they will stay at it.

19 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Me and my mate driving home were praising him to high heaven.

Like I say there have been a great crop of younger referees this season. 

Give them "non controversial" games to referee and they will stay at it.

Being an ex-Probus player he was certainly given a baptism of fire for his first game last weekend @cornishteddyboy! He was in charge of the Tregony game (Probus’s local rivals). Leigh is a really nice lad and it’s good to hear that he’s doing well.