Cornwall Football Forum

A Buckland take on Bucks v Falmouth Town

Buckland Athletic 3 Falmouth Town 1

Hopefully, from past reports, readers will acknowledge that I seek to be as objective as possible, but football is about opinions and we can all have subjective takes when our teams are involved.

Living in Kernow now means I don't get to see the Bucks too often these days and can be most often be found going to Saltash especially, but occasionally Lanson, Cally, Tavi or Parkway. I was looking forward to this - who doesn't love the FA Vase? What I think we got yesterday was a reality check. Bucks were without their main goal threats with Ryan Bush (injured) and Levi Landricombe (cup-tied) yet in the end they won with a bit to spare. In truth, I feel Falmouth were well-organised, but (surprisingly) didn't offer that much going forward (on the day). First half was fairly even. Indeed, Town probably edged it. Two well taken goals, but few other clear cut opportunities. 1-1 at H/T. Second half was Buckland's. Their grip on the game got tighter as the game went on. Two clinical finishes and just over midway through the second half the tie was pretty much settled. I think Bucks had the edge in quality and (maybe) fitness. From a Bucks viewpoint, good to see Tor Swann aged 17 being MOTM.

For Falmouth this may be a useful building tool. They are a good side, but they are romping to victory in a diminished SWPL. Would they best the four Duchy departees to the Western League? I'm far from sure. Ashes, Helston, Mousehole and an improving Millbrook continue to develop as sides and clubs. In a perverse way this loss may be a good thing. They can now prepare for the likely step up to the WL, fully aware what it will take to be competitive. They need to move up, as do other bigger Cornish clubs like Liskeard, Blazey, St Austell , Torpoint and Bodmin.

I should add the WL needs a club like Town to come up too. The fans' noise, colour, passion and numbers would only bring benefit to the league. I hope it happens! I hope too also see a quality club and ground in the Mill and Torpoint there too next season.

Lastly, many on here falsely use FA Vase games as a metric to judge the differential between the two leagues. As our Cornish clubs would testify, there are virtually no easy games in the WL. You have to raise your game virtually every week. The top clubs in the SWPL don't. The bottom half of the SWPL provide in many cases access to an easy three points. That for me is the difference. I love the SWPL and its clubs - east and west, but the departures have weakened the overall quality IMHO. 

I definitely think Falmouth will hold their own in the Western League. To put it bluntly, they're currently walking what is not the best standard in the South West Peninsula League. I'm sure they are under no illusions how difficult the Western League will be. Every league could do with a club like Falmouth in it. The support from who we all know as the 'F Troop' is simply incredible!

6 minutes ago, Jacob-Englefield1 said:

I definitely think Falmouth will hold their own in the Western League. To put it bluntly, they're currently walking what is not the best standard in the South West Peninsula League. I'm sure they are under no illusions how difficult the Western League will be. Every league could do with a club like Falmouth in it. The support from who we all know as the 'F Troop' is simply incredible!

Yawn... Let's hear more about the team..... 

The Western league are in for a treat when the F Troop rolls up to there grounds with PICKACHU AND MR POLAR BEAR they will need some more characters .Falmouth will do great in the Western League they have great players in every department except maybe defence need 2 new centre halfs Toby is getting on a bit i have seen Falmouth a few times and James Ward does make some mistakes , Jack Bray Evans will be well suited in the Western because he is too good for this league most of there players are but need a stronger defence only my opinion 

1 minute ago, 100%cornish said:

The Western league are in for a treat when the F Troop rolls up to there grounds with PICKACHU AND MR POLAR BEAR they will need some more characters .Falmouth will do great in the Western League they have great players in every department except maybe defence need 2 new centre halfs Toby is getting on a bit i have seen Falmouth a few times and James Ward does make some mistakes , Jack Bray Evans will be well suited in the Western because he is too good for this league most of there players are but need a stronger defence only my opinion 

JB-E an excellent striker - even better suited to the WL. Defence prone to lapses in the SWPL, so probably an area that needs strengthening!

6 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Buckland Athletic 3 Falmouth Town 1

Hopefully, from past reports, readers will acknowledge that I seek to be as objective as possible, but football is about opinions and we can all have subjective takes when our teams are involved.

Living in Kernow now means I don't get to see the Bucks too often these days and can be most often be found going to Saltash especially, but occasionally Lanson, Cally, Tavi or Parkway. I was looking forward to this - who doesn't love the FA Vase? What I think we got yesterday was a reality check. Bucks were without their main goal threats with Ryan Bush (injured) and Levi Landricombe (cup-tied) yet in the end they won with a bit to spare. In truth, I feel Falmouth were well-organised, but (surprisingly) didn't offer that much going forward (on the day). First half was fairly even. Indeed, Town probably edged it. Two well taken goals, but few other clear cut opportunities. 1-1 at H/T. Second half was Buckland's. Their grip on the game got tighter as the game went on. Two clinical finishes and just over midway through the second half the tie was pretty much settled. I think Bucks had the edge in quality and (maybe) fitness. From a Bucks viewpoint, good to see Tor Swann aged 17 being MOTM.

For Falmouth this may be a useful building tool. They are a good side, but they are romping to victory in a diminished SWPL. Would they best the four Duchy departees to the Western League? I'm far from sure. Ashes, Helston, Mousehole and an improving Millbrook continue to develop as sides and clubs. In a perverse way this loss may be a good thing. They can now prepare for the likely step up to the WL, fully aware what it will take to be competitive. They need to move up, as do other bigger Cornish clubs like Liskeard, Blazey, St Austell , Torpoint and Bodmin.

I should add the WL needs a club like Town to come up too. The fans' noise, colour, passion and numbers would only bring benefit to the league. I hope it happens! I hope too also see a quality club and ground in the Mill and Torpoint there too next season.

Lastly, many on here falsely use FA Vase games as a metric to judge the differential between the two leagues. As our Cornish clubs would testify, there are virtually no easy games in the WL. You have to raise your game virtually every week. The top clubs in the SWPL don't. The bottom half of the SWPL provide in many cases access to an easy three points. That for me is the difference. I love the SWPL and its clubs - east and west, but the departures have weakened the overall quality IMHO. 

A very good post!

Here’s a question for everyone… the F-Troop are great. But, let’s say Falmouth have lost heavily away from home a few times; are they traveling in their numbers to Bristol every other week?! 

27 minutes ago, Jamesy7 said:

A very good post!

Here’s a question for everyone… the F-Troop are great. But, let’s say Falmouth have lost heavily away from home a few times; are they traveling in their numbers to Bristol every other week?! 

Thanks Jamesy! I know from experience travelling up the M5 every second week is a chore. When I regularly followed Bucks we only had Parkway locally for company. No Cornish or other Devon clubs. It is quite noticeable too that the best atmosphere and gates are for all Cornish clashes, otherwise there's little benefit at the gate. The gain is the on-field challenge.

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Hi 100% Cornish. I always like reading your reports and it is great that you watch so many local games. However, I think you need to watch a few more Town games if you think that James Ward is a weak link. He has made some mistakes but maybe he finds the games too easy and starts to take a few chances because of this. He will be fine if Town go up next season.

1 hour ago, Jamesy7 said:

A very good post!

If we do go up (remember nothing is decided yet),  we won't be travelling to Bristol every other week.   A lot of the clubs are in Devon and Somerset, with possibly six Cornish clubs.  The crowds have built up over a number of seasons and we haven't won every game.  Personally I think we could fill a coach for away games.

2 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Yawn... Let's hear more about the team..... 

I'm just stating a fact Footy follower. I've mentioned previously, I have no doubt they will hold their own in the Western League. Should they get promoted of course. However, I also think they will get found out on plenty of occasions too. For me, they make too many errors. Now that might sound too critical, as in reality they don't make that many. But for Western League standard, they make too many mistakes. In the South West Peninsula League, against certain teams, you can get away with it. In large parts, you won't be able to do that in the Western League. As an attacking force, they can match a lot of teams. They've got goals all over. To make a real good go of it in the Western League, I do think they'd need to strengthen. Perhaps be brutal and get rid of a couple as well. It'll be interesting to see if and when they do make it, how successful they will be!

36 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Hi 100% Cornish. I always like reading your reports and it is great that you watch so many local games. However, I think you need to watch a few more Town games if you think that James Ward is a weak link. He has made some mistakes but maybe he finds the games too easy and starts to take a few chances because of this. He will be fine if Town go up next season.

I 100% agree with this. For me, James Ward is playing far below a level he is capable of. That is in no way a disrespect to the Peninsula League and some of the clubs and players in it. But he can play higher, that I have no doubt. He proved so by playing at Truro City. He didn't look out of place either!

9 hours ago, Town Fan said:

If we do go up (remember nothing is decided yet),  we won't be travelling to Bristol every other week.   A lot of the clubs are in Devon and Somerset, with possibly six Cornish clubs.  The crowds have built up over a number of seasons and we haven't won every game.  Personally I think we could fill a coach for away games.

Lot of "ifs" here, but if Barnstaple get relegated from step 4 (as looks likely), all the Cornish clubs stay up (should do, barring dramatic collapses) then even with the strong chance that Tavistock go up as champions, then I make it that 10 of the 20 clubs in next seasons Western League will be from Devon & Cornwall. Using back of a fag packet maths, that would be 19 out of 38 matches in the two counties, or 50% of the fixtures. 

On 21/11/2021 at 20:49, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yup...wearing a bit thin now.

You will never admit it Dave but every excuse you make for a large Bickland attendance and every comment you make with reference to the F-Troop, your envy shines bright. Probably because large sections of the F-troop are Penryn/Mabe and surrounding villages lads & lasses who have followed Town as teenagers since the 70s, when Penryn were Falmouth/Helston div 2. Just ignore the F-Troop comments or scroll past them mate.

See you boxing day Dave, i advise you that day not to look at the 500 strong F-Troop filled Packet End with all the colour, noise and atmosphere, dont want to ruin your day.

Go easy. UTT. :) 

31 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

You will never admit it Dave but every excuse you make for a large Bickland attendance and every comment you make with reference to the F-Troop, your envy shines bright. Probably because large sections of the F-troop are Penryn/Mabe and surrounding villages lads & lasses who have followed Town as teenagers since the 70s, when Penryn were Falmouth/Helston div 2. Just ignore the F-Troop comments or scroll past them mate.

See you boxing day Dave, i advise you that day not to look at the 500 strong F-Troop filled Packet End with all the colour, noise and atmosphere, dont want to ruin your day.

Go easy. UTT. :) 

Hahahaha!

Can't stop smiling at that post Jeff. 

Envy is not in my makeup buddy, best of luck to Falmouth from me (said it enough times) but for some football is about football not who has the biggest crowd, and for some the F troop carnival can spoil a game a bit...think about it.

I do find it interesting though how many people can so easily change the colour of their shirts...their choice of course...but not for me.

Again, best of luck and ride the wave buddy...but not on Boxing day! 

Go to most grounds in Cornwall and its like a morgue unless a goal is scored and theres a few claps. 99% of people who attend our matches love a bit of atmosphere. Lets imagine the people you refer to who like to watch a match in relative silence went to the Kop at Liverpool or the Stretford End at United and asked them to please be quiet. Well the Packet End obviously isn't on such a grand scale but if its good enough for those massive clubs its good enough for us. Silence isnt golden in my book. Keep smiling Dave. :) 

1 hour ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Go to most grounds in Cornwall and its like a morgue unless a goal is scored and theres a few claps. 99% of people who attend our matches love a bit of atmosphere. Lets imagine the people you refer to who like to watch a match in relative silence went to the Kop at Liverpool or the Stretford End at United and asked them to please be quiet. Well the Packet End obviously isn't on such a grand scale but if its good enough for those massive clubs its good enough for us. Silence isnt golden in my book. Keep smiling Dave. :) 

Err!..not quite the same Jeff , but I will always be smiling as you are at this time.

18 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Err!..not quite the same Jeff , but I will always be smiling as you are at this time.

Gotta keep smiling Dave :). See you boxing day, really looking forward to it. Be a tough game as derbies always are.

But at this time our sights are firmly fixed on this Saturday and Liskeard away. UTT