Cornwall Football Forum

Works Football Teams

Can remember a bygone era when factory teams used to play in the Plymouth area Sunday leagues. Companies such as Clark's, Toshiba, Wrigleys and Gleesons used to put out strong sides, and many had their own pitches and facilities. Were there factories in Cornwall that used to do this, the two I can think of were Holmans (who are still going) and J&F Pool, but how many others? Would also be really interesting to hear of any name South Western and Western League players who would have played alongside work colleagues, both in the Plymouth and Cornwall competitions.

4 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Can remember a bygone era when factory teams used to play in the Plymouth area Sunday leagues. Companies such as Clark's, Toshiba, Wrigleys and Gleesons used to put out strong sides, and many had their own pitches and facilities. Where there factories in Cornwall that used to do this, the two I can think of were Holland (who are still going) and J&F Pool, but how many others? Would also be really interesting to hear of any name South Western and Western League players who would have played alongside work colleagues, both in the Plymouth and Cornwall competitions.

Back in the late 80's I lives and worked in Plymouth and used to play in the Plymouth Wednesday league against teams like Plymouth Citibus, Royal Mail, 59 commando and the standard was insane and terribly competitive. I remember playing Royal Mail in a final and it was rumoured they flew down 3 or 4 players who played for their national team??? Think we still won tho lol. From a personal point of view, it gave me a chance to play with far better players, some recently ex-pros, when I would otherwise not have had that chance - happy days

50 minutes ago, le boss said:

Back in the late 80's I lives and worked in Plymouth and used to play in the Plymouth Wednesday league against teams like Plymouth Citibus, Royal Mail, 59 commando and the standard was insane and terribly competitive. I remember playing Royal Mail in a final and it was rumoured they flew down 3 or 4 players who played for their national team??? Think we still won tho lol. From a personal point of view, it gave me a chance to play with far better players, some recently ex-pros, when I would otherwise not have had that chance - happy days

What was you...the sub, water boy, ran the line (?) Lol

Think cauldron pottery had a team as well.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Tools  and Dies F C  from Pool   -played at Park Road playing fields

1960's   Harris United F C   from Redruth    the Harris Bacon factory -where did they play? I seem to remember the slaughterhouse close by.

Strawberry lane I think Mike, Redruth use it as a rugby pitch now I believe

On 04/04/2020 at 11:13, Way Of The Park said:

Can remember a bygone era when factory teams used to play in the Plymouth area Sunday leagues. Companies such as Clark's, Toshiba, Wrigleys and Gleesons used to put out strong sides, and many had their own pitches and facilities. Were there factories in Cornwall that used to do this, the two I can think of were Holmans (who are still going) and J&F Pool, but how many others? Would also be really interesting to hear of any name South Western and Western League players who would have played alongside work colleagues, both in the Plymouth and Cornwall competitions.

Gleason were in the Plymouth Sunday League, strong team had a pitch beside the factory. Also a strong league. West Devon Sunday League were quite jealous. 
Good Days by far 

On 05/04/2020 at 07:17, Keith B said:

I remember watching Crediton play Plymouth Civil Service, it would have been back in the early 1980's. Can't remember what league that was in - too long ago and memory playing tricks. 

Plymouth Civil Service used to put out very strong sides (think that they used to have dockyard workers in their ranks), great pitches and sports club as well. It's a housing estate now.

One that came to me was the Co-op Dairy side that used to play in the Devon Wednesday League, read that this was where Mike Bickle (a milkman) caught the eye of St Austell and then Plymouth Argyle. Told they used to play at Unity Park  in the Efford area of Plymouth, a really nice ground with a bowling green alongside it. Now also a housing estate,

Louis international in the South Western League

4 hours ago, David Bray said:

Rank,Bush, & Murphy played in the Truro & District Sunday League back in the late sixties.

Factory side whose ground was somewhere on Illogan Highway behind the Railway Inn, shocking surface if I remember rightly.

Think it might have been the “pitches” under Carn Brea

21 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Louis international in the South Western League

Think it might have been the “pitches” under Carn Brea

It might well have been, being from St.Austell we were familiar with the area as we regularly visited the 'Flamingo' . 

Don't remember them being in the league for to long.

20 hours ago, David Bray said:

It might well have been, being from St.Austell we were familiar with the area as we regularly visited the 'Flamingo' . 

Don't remember them being in the league for to long.

The idea was good but the pitches were awful.the water just came straight down off the Carn

ECLP China Clay had a few works teams over the years. Heavy Transport & Blackpool Pit are two that I recall

On 06/04/2020 at 08:23, Way Of The Park said:

Plymouth Civil Service used to put out very strong sides (think that they used to have dockyard workers in their ranks), great pitches and sports club as well. It's a housing estate now.

One that came to me was the Co-op Dairy side that used to play in the Devon Wednesday League, read that this was where Mike Bickle (a milkman) caught the eye of St Austell and then Plymouth Argyle. Told they used to play at Unity Park  in the Efford area of Plymouth, a really nice ground with a bowling green alongside it. Now also a housing estate,

I think they may have morphed into Radnor Dairy  - Psycho FC to the uninitiated

Down in penryn/falmouth area local businesses play each other in friendly matches , 

Plumbing and heating company blue flame have played matches against marnick builders and also the pasty crimper  division of WC Rowes , as well as a couple other places. 

Marnick builder have a good side , but I did here nicky chinn was paying a win bonus 😁

I can remember about 40 years ago there was a team in the Truro area called Busby Gents. Can't remember if they played in a league or only played friendlies. I remember once watching them play on a pitch between Chiverton Cross and Mount Hawke, but can't remember if they were the home or away team! Hope someone's got a better memory than me!

38 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

I can remember about 40 years ago there was a team in the Truro area called Busby Gents. Can't remember if they played in a league or only played friendlies. I remember once watching them play on a pitch between Chiverton Cross and Mount Hawke, but can't remember if they were the home or away team! Hope someone's got a better memory than me!

They played in the league for a short time.Also played on a pitch between Chacewater and Carnon Downs.

On 04/04/2020 at 19:22, Soccer Follower said:

Heathcoats,Taylors (Truro),Falmouth GPO,Falmouth Docks,Lockwood MT (Machine Tooling),OMT Helston,Truro GWRSA (with thanks to Mawnan legend Leon Prynn).

ETS used to play in the Sunday league, used  Cury's pitch amongst others. Remember getting  sent off down Dracena the same morning as I got a speeding ticket on the way😂😂.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 14:35, Soccer Follower said:

Stags (Launceston)?

I believe it was Stan's Stags (possibly Stan Bradshaw ?)

In Plymouth there were Bonnet Electrics;SGB; PCMC (Paper Converting );Brown @ Sharpe;Ranco: Achesons; as well as numerous Dockyard teams(e.g. EEM Dept. RNAD;

MED Coppersmiths;Naval Stores etc.)

On 10/04/2020 at 17:53, Adlestrop said:

In Plymouth there were Bonnet Electrics;SGB; PCMC (Paper Converting );Brown @ Sharpe;Ranco: Achesons; as well as numerous Dockyard teams(e.g. EEM Dept. RNAD;

Remember the Bald One posting on here a while back about a tournament held in Italy for teams from home the various European Ranco sites. Seem to remember that the side drawn from the Bodmin and Plymouth factories won it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 17:53, Adlestrop said:

I played against Stans Stags in the Junior Cup. What's the story behind the unusual name ?