Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Docks grounds

4 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

My unreliable memory obliges me to recall a very fine centre forward they had : I believe his name was Bailey.Can anyone confirm please ?

Used to be a Rod Bailey - not sure how long ago you're thinking

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:44, Fanfare said:

Better than my thought!

Thanks to Leon Prynn for the following:-

Falmouth Docks were formed in 1918-19 but were originally known as Shellabears. They were the contractors who built dry dock no. 3. They eventually became known as Docks FC and home matches were played in a field in the Trescobeas area.

Shortly after another team was formed – Falmouth Technical School – who then joined forces with the Docks under the new name of Falmouth Docks Apprentices. Their matches were played at Old Hill. For a period matches were also played on the “Mud Heap” (Hill 60) which was occupied by the oil tanks under Pendennis Castle, but the Apprentices later moved back to a ground at Trescobeas.

The next major step was the move to Boslowick and it was then the club became known as Falmouth Docks.

After several years the Boslowick ground underwent reconstruction and re-opened in the 1958-59 season where they played until the ground was closed and then the final move to Leggo Park after which the club disbanded.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Falmouth Docks were formed in 1918-19 but were originally known as Shellabears. They were the contractors who built dry dock no. 3. They eventually became known as Docks FC and home matches were played in a field in the Trescobeas area.

Shortly after another team was formed – Falmouth Technical School – who then joined forces with the Docks under the new name of Falmouth Docks Apprentices. Their matches were played at Old Hill. For a period matches were also played on the “Mud Heap” (Hill 60) which was occupied by the oil tanks under Pendennis Castle, but the Apprentices later moved back to a ground at Trescobeas.

The next major step was the move to Boslowick and it was then the club became known as Falmouth Docks.

After several years the Boslowick ground underwent reconstruction and re-opened in the 1958-59 season where they played until the ground was closed and then the final move to Leggo Park after which the club disbanded.

I seem to remember a few names such as Jock Logan, Dave Winnan, Des Wengradt, and possibly Kenny Evans.

16 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The old docks sports ground was the best playing surface in Cornwall for many, many years.

It was of a professional standard with full time grounds man.

Paid for with deductions from the dock workers, I have heard an old penny per week.

One of the best grounds around by all accounts. Not just for football but cricket as well.  It's a shame no photos seem to exist of it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/01/2019 at 15:10, Adlestrop said:

My unreliable memory obliges me to recall a very fine centre forward they had : I believe his name was Bailey.Can anyone confirm please ?

On 06/01/2019 at 15:15, Dave Deacon said:

Gaffer,Dave my god he used to bend my ears at illogan, nice bloke

I haven't got any excuse to join this conversation we haven't had any snow up here so I can't excuse my idleness on that . Isn't it sad that in this modern times that services and companies no longer support  sporting teams .Some of you older Devon and Cornishmen must  recall teams and facilities provided by factories etc. Until the 1980's the Norwich Thursday league comprised several post office , fire brigade , college , factory , police , military , hospital  and railway workers teams . The whole league folded in the late 80's and none of these teams exist now in any league in the county . Up to this time there were a number of companies that had first rate sports field with a full time grounds man . There were certain companies that would employ almost anybody if they were good at sport  . Norwich Union ( now called Aviva ) were a classic example , they had a really good pavilion and playing complex for tennis , hockey , cricket , tennis and football . All gone , the land sold for housing and the teams disbanded never to return . This must have happened in Devon and Cornwall as well . Why ? , granted some large companies have gone but why are there no police , fire service or post office teams . Furthermore one of the major reasons for the decline in grassroots football is 7 day working and the many young men involved in that , but why are there no Asda , Tesco etc. teams representing their company in your leagues ? .

4 hours ago, fenman said:

I haven't got any excuse to join this conversation we haven't had any snow up here so I can't excuse my idleness on that . Isn't it sad that in this modern times that services and companies no longer support  sporting teams .Some of you older Devon and Cornishmen must  recall teams and facilities provided by factories etc. Until the 1980's the Norwich Thursday league comprised several post office , fire brigade , college , factory , police , military , hospital  and railway workers teams . The whole league folded in the late 80's and none of these teams exist now in any league in the county . Up to this time there were a number of companies that had first rate sports field with a full time grounds man . There were certain companies that would employ almost anybody if they were good at sport  . Norwich Union ( now called Aviva ) were a classic example , they had a really good pavilion and playing complex for tennis , hockey , cricket , tennis and football . All gone , the land sold for housing and the teams disbanded never to return . This must have happened in Devon and Cornwall as well . Why ? , granted some large companies have gone but why are there no police , fire service or post office teams . Furthermore one of the major reasons for the decline in grassroots football is 7 day working and the many young men involved in that , but why are there no Asda , Tesco etc. teams representing their company in your leagues ? .

There is still in existence a Devon Wednesday League which is based around Plymouth.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any photos of the Falmouth Docks team? I believe my Uncle, Keith Webber (sadly deceased) used to play in goal for them. Not sure of the years, but possibly in the late 50's? If anyone can confirm when he played that would be great (Mike Odgers?) Any information is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

New to this forum so apologies for a delayed response but my father George Atherton was Captain of the Docks team in that period and I have at least three photos dated from 1956 to 1958 showing the docks team with Keith Webber as the goalie. 

For other posts I can remember as a child being paid a 1d a bucket for picking stones off the newly created Docks ground.

Followed my father for many years as a Docks  player and can, perhaps, add to the memories of that time.

Dave

13 hours ago, Davesolo said:

New to this forum so apologies for a delayed response but my father George Atherton was Captain of the Docks team in that period and I have at least three photos dated from 1956 to 1958 showing the docks team with Keith Webber as the goalie. 

For other posts I can remember as a child being paid a 1d a bucket for picking stones off the newly created Docks ground.

Followed my father for many years as a Docks  player and can, perhaps, add to the memories of that time.

Dave

I can also remember being paid for a bucket of stones at Bickland Park in the early days of construction. Also if you found a coloured stone which had been laid you would get 6pence. It would never happen now with yellow jackets and health and safety!

• 4 weeks later...

Remember a  home defeat at St Just when Falmouth Docks came down and won 6-1....five from a left winger, I think Winnan, and one from Kenny Jackett. Same year, we then beat them 1-0 away. I think it might have been around 1970.....CTB can confirm.

The only other Tinners home defeat that year was also 6-1 against Newquay. After we had conceded the fifth the temperamental keeper Fred Prigg was so irritated that he threw the next cross into the back of the net.