Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Fixtures for Saturday 29 April 2017

Please feel free to post your postponement, result, goalscorers and post-match comments

Saturday April 29 (3 pm unless otherwise stated)

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Godolphin Atlantic 0-5 Cullompton Rangers

Launceston 1-2 St Austell

Saltash United 5-0 Falmouth Town

St Blazey 1-5 Exmouth Town

Tiverton Town Reserves 0-2 Torpoint Athletic

DIVISION ONE (EAST)

Appledore 1-0 St Martins

Brixham 3-0 Totnes & Dartington (12.30 pm)

Exwick Villa 0-0 Budleigh Salterton

Torridgeside 5-1 Sidmouth Town

University of Exeter 5-3 Stoke Gabriel

DIVISION ONE (WEST)

Bude Town 0-3 Mousehole

Dobwalls 1-0 Vospers Oak Villa

Elburton Villa 2-1 St Dennis

Holsworthy 4-1 Illogan RBL

Liskeard Athletic 0-2 Wadebridge Town

Millbrook 1-2 Penryn Athletic

Porthleven 0-1 Plymstock United (2 pm)

Sticker 3-1 Penzance

If Sticker had taken the chances they created, they could have finished in double figures.  However they didn't and will have to learn to take their chances in the Premier League or they will struggle against the top teams.  Penzance played the offside game, which caused themselves problems against Stickers speedy forwards, and are probably grateful that Stickers forwards had left their shooting boots at home .

The result was

Sticker won 3-1

18 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Dobwalls beat Vospers 1-0 meaning Pz stay up.

Penzance needed to get a point today to ensure their safety in the SWPL West was secure and in their own hands - yet had 11 players and one sub?? Their squad was very young and Cheesy. They lacked creativity and were beaten at every position across the park - by a Sticker team who were not at their best (by a long long way). It is good that a club with Penzance's history are not relegated out of the SWPL - but on today's show would struggle in the Combo. 

Sticker seem to have gone off the boil a bit since comfortably winning the league - but their starting front three on today's performance are off prem standard - the lad Bowyer came on and scored within a minute - quality. Duff was excellent and my mom, managers need to get them firing again for their forthcoming Charity Cup final. 

Bob, had you watched Penzance earlier in the season you would have appreciated what a good job Brynn has done since replacing John Dent as Manager, I'm sure you will see a much different Pz side next season, a team that wants to play for the management and club. I have enjoyed most of your posts as they are a honest view, On this occasion Penzance ,despite the popular expectations, ground out a decent performance. Give them credit for that.

Got to give credit to Launceston today who found eleven (and didn't pull out the fixture) with the help of Tiverton and Paulton to provide difficult opposition for St Austell today. 

Town got a deserved 3 points on a hard and bobbly Pennygillam surface but praise to Launceston who worked hard throughout and never made it easy. 

AFC StAustell will be hoping for a better performance in the league cup final and also a better surface. 

2 hours ago, Clubman said:

Bob, had you watched Penzance earlier in the season you would have appreciated what a good job Brynn has done since replacing John Dent as Manager, I'm sure you will see a much different Pz side next season, a team that wants to play for the management and club. I have enjoyed most of your posts as they are a honest view, On this occasion Penzance ,despite the popular expectations, ground out a decent performance. Give them credit for that.

Clubman - I actually went to the game expecting Sticker to win comfortably - however actually ended up wanting Penzance to win - they were outplayed but gave everything, but tried - and that is probably more than Sticker did. 

Penzance had several very good young payers on show - but too many for a West team. I am sure  Brynn has plans for next season - as long as Wayne agrees (lol)

Sadly the area around Temple would have provided a flatter surface. 

Understand the difficulties groundsman have when pitch is cut up and prolonged dry weather follows. Most pitches are in a state and unhelpful to teams trying to pass it and that included both sides yesterday. 

Think fact that ref delayed second half ko to ask for a hole which he described as an ankle breaker to be filled says it all.

19 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Clubman - I actually went to the game expecting Sticker to win comfortably - however actually ended up wanting Penzance to win - they were outplayed but gave everything, but tried - and that is probably more than Sticker did. 

Penzance had several very good young payers on show - but too many for a West team. I am sure  Brynn has plans for next season - as long as Wayne agrees (lol)

I think Bob you will find that Wayne Quinn is finished with football which is a big shame as I feel he as a lot to offer. You will have to ask Mousehole why he has had enough tho!! I think Bryn at Penzance has done what the club has asked of him and made there status in the swpl secure and I salute him in doing that he didn't have to take the task on??.Penzance is a sleeping giant and hopefully will improve on that nxt season of which I am sure so a big well done from me..

14 hours ago, big no 5 said:

I think Bob you will find that Wayne Quinn is finished with football which is a big shame as I feel he as a lot to offer. You will have to ask Mousehole why he has had enough tho!! I think Bryn at Penzance has done what the club has asked of him and made there status in the swpl secure and I salute him in doing that he didn't have to take the task on??.Penzance is a sleeping giant and hopefully will improve on that nxt season of which I am sure so a big well done from me..

Let's not sing Bryn's praises too much.... don't forget, the only reason Penzance are staying up is via a technicality through Tiverton pulling out of the prem. Penzance have Tiverton to thank more so than their manager. 

21 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Let's not sing Bryn's praises too much.... don't forget, the only reason Penzance are staying up is via a technicality through Tiverton pulling out of the prem. Penzance have Tiverton to thank more so than their manager. 

Very valid point. However let's be fair - how many of us would have taken on the challenge?

28 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Very valid point. However let's be fair - how many of us would have taken on the challenge?

Not many Dave, heard that Dwayne Quinn is the one pulling the strings though. Tiverton pulling out of the league has theoretically saved two of Cornwall's traditional football clubs from Relegation (penzance & newquay) 

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

To give vospers their due, they battled hard on saturday and were unlucky not to have shared the points although that would't have kept them up I believe?

Quite right Pedro. Vospers needed to win their last 4 games. 

Is it true they have been unable to raise a team to play Porthleven tomorrow? 

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

To give vospers their due, they battled hard on saturday and were unlucky not to have shared the points although that would't have kept them up I believe?

To be fair the Dobwalls keeper didn't have one save or cross to really deal with plus the home team missed many chances but I agree they did battle but seemed to lack urgency for a team that had to win

On 01/05/2017 at 12:41, kevin richards said:

£££££££££££££££££

Many people have expressed their misguided opinions about the situation at Penzance since January but I'm sure all clubs would have taken whatever action they could to avoid relegation if they found themselves in a similar position - including Porthleven. How Clubs address such an issue is up to them but please feel free to speculate!

5 hours ago, PzFan said:

Quite right Pedro. Vospers needed to win their last 4 games. 

Is it true they have been unable to raise a team to play Porthleven tomorrow? 

Yes. Any credit Vospers got disappeared when they cried off from the game.