Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny Fixtures Saturday 18th February 2017

Please leave any comments/results below. 

Remember to text in your results on 07957345945 

I have to get the report in by 9pm so the earlier the better, I am limited to 700 words so I will do my best to feature as many games and players as possible, but if your team isn't mentioned one week please don't be miffed as I'll get it in the following week. Thanks. 

Trelawny Premier
Mawnan v Lizard Argyle
Mousehole v Chacewater
Pendeen Rovers v Threemilestone
St Buryan v Penryn Athletic 3rds
St Day Reserves v St Keverne
West Cornwall v Troon

Division 1
Mullion Reserves v Newlyn Non-Athletico
Constantine v Lanner
Gwinear Churchtown v Hayle Reserves
Halestown v Marazion Blues
Rosudgeon v Stithians
St Agnes Reserves v Trispen

Division 2
Chacewater Reserves v RNAS Culdrose Reserves
Falmouth Town 3rds v Mawnan Reserves
Penwith Exiles v Frogpool&Cusgarne
Redruth United Reserves v Mabe
Wendron United 3rds v Storm

Division 3
Lizard Argyle Reserves v St Erme
Mabe Reserves v Ludgvan Reserves

Division 4
Four Lanes Reserves v Carharrack Reserves
Madron v New Inn Titans
Newlyn Non-Athletico Reserves v Penzance Reserves
Stithians Reserves v Wendron United 4ths
Troon AFC Reserves v Ruan Minor

Russell Hall Cup:
Falmouth DC v St Day 3rds 
Four Lanes v West Cornwall Reserves
Newlyn Lions v Frogpool&Cusgarne Reserves
Probus v St Ives Mariners

This week the charity receiving payment will be The Invictus Trust.  The Invictus Trust are a Cornwall based charity that aim to support teenagers in the county with mental health issues. They also support Cornish children who have to leave the county - often moving several hundred miles away - to stay at a unit for their care. They are currently campaigning for a unit to be built in Cornwall to help children and teenagers who have mental health problems so that families don't have to be so far away from each other when getting help and support. 

They are a small charity that we at Wendron United are involved in and heavily support as they have supported a family at the club. Our second team and Sunday league team proudly display their logo on their shorts. They are a great local charity and if you want to find out more, you can visit their website: www.invictustrust.co.uk

Constantine 4 lanner 1 

Result flattered us in the end as there wasnt much in it. But we kept going and with lanner chasing a few gaps opened up. Not hugely enjoyable with indirect freekicks both ways every few minutes for swearing. Rules are rules i guess and he did tell us and stuck to it. But no flow to the game at all. Had to eat two trays of food as lanner didnt stay long! Which at 6'7 and 21 stone is not required..... 

All the best for the rest of the season 

7 minutes ago, Slipperygloves1 said:

Constantine 4 lanner 1 

Result flattered us in the end as there wasnt much in it. But we kept going and with lanner chasing a few gaps opened up. Not hugely enjoyable with indirect freekicks both ways every few minutes for swearing. Rules are rules i guess and he did tell us and stuck to it. But no flow to the game at all. Had to eat two trays of food as lanner didnt stay long! Which at 6'7 and 21 stone is not required..... 

Sorry graham. On the plus side the wife doesn't have to cook now. :)

Cheers pal. More like rugby then football with the stop/start 

Probus 6 St. Ives Mariner 2 Russell Hall Cup

We started the game well and for the second week in a row took the lead inside the first 2 minutes. Pete Davey, amazingly, beat a defender for pace (not sure how!) and crossed for Paul Cox to finish low into the net. We soon doubled our lead when Connor Rhodes shot from 20 yards and the ball beat the visitors keeper. We further increased our lead when a good cross from the left by Joe Emmett has chested down by Paul Cox and volleyed into the net for a great finish. The score line was probably harsh on Mariners as they were doing well in midfield without really threatening our goal. They did pull a goal back when, from a corner, the ball hit their centre forward on the backside, then my arm and dribbled into the net - I'm happy for the goal to go to their player! Mariners kept pressing to pull another goal back, but we defended well and it remained at 3-1 at half time.

We increased our lead at the start of the second half when Paul Cox headed in from Mark Sherris's cross. We then allowed Mariners to pull a goal back when their centre forward was allowed the freedom of the penalty area to tap in from 5 yards into an empty net. We scored 2 more goals in the last 20 minutes through a Chris Shackley (on his first game for the club in several years after signing on as cover) header and a good finish low into the net. The Mariners keeper also made some good one on one saves and they also had a few chances that were saved Sam Jones.

Overall it was a much better performance than last week (it would be hard to get any worse!), but Mariners are a good team and they played very well. Thanks to them for coming back to the club afterwards. The referee Gary Lord had a good game in the middle. Falmouth DC away for us next week.

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

Premier

Mousehole Res 1  Chacewater 2

Dave Cilia and Craig Hitchens

Div 2

Chacewater Res. 2  RNAS Culdrose Res 6   h/t 2-3

Dean Hill and Jamie Dunstan

It was a good game to watch today I think a fair result with Chacewater just edging it and I've got to mention the referee today absolutely superb and only a level 7 Well-done. 

Chacewater Res 2-6 RNAS Culdrose (H/T 2-3)

Having not played for a month, RNAS Culdrose were slow out of the blocks and were a goal down after 4 minutes and two down after 8 minutes. This kicked them into action and goals in the 17th and 21st minutes put them on level pegging. Once they took the lead in the 32nd minute, they never looked back.

They were guilty of several awful misses in the final twenty minutes but fortunately they were well clear by then. Chacewater had a few half chances but the visitors were always in control. The second half goals came in the 53rd, 55th and a penalty in the 85th minute to seal the win.

Andy McKnight proved why he is one of the better referees with a good performance in the middle, aided by two teams who wanted to play football.

Russell Hall Cup

Newyn Lions 2-1 Frogpool Reserves

Struggling for a side today, and our centre back's car breaking down on the way to the game kind of summed up our luck.

The guys we had though played really really well and despite the loss I came off a happy manager, we worked so hard and matched a good Newlyn side toe for toe for most of the match and easily could've won it ourselves as well.

Lions first goal came through Ollie Pridham who turned and hit home from close range, we equalised after the Newlyn keeper spilled a free kick for Lewis Bax to tap home.

Newlyn scored a last minute winner as the big centre back headed home a delightful corner to take them into the next round.

Excellent hospitality and I genuinely hope they go on to win it, good bunch of lads and the game was played in excellent spirits. Both sides fought tooth and bone but it just wasn't our day! Good luck in the next round guys and thank you for the excellent food as always!

Well refereed by Dave Rowe

Mabe Reserves 2 - 3 Ludgvan Reserves

Mabe having won their first game since November in their last outing were hoping to make it two wins in a row and maybe should have as they were 2-0 up after 70 minutes but absolutely fell to bits for the final 20 conceding 2 from corners with some poor marking and then being caught on the break by Ludgvan, take no credit from Ludgvan they fought till the end and were it not for two fantastic saves by their keeper it could've easily been 4-0. 

Mabe took the lead in the first 10 minutes Sam Duckham with a goal from a corner from the edge of the box. Mabe were a little lazy with the ball and Ludgvan easily could've been back into it if not leading at half time. It was 1-0 at half time to Mabe, In the second half they doubled their lead through a flick on from midfield which found David Webb who beat the keeper one on one. Then the wheels began to come off, the goalkeeper who was talking to his friends behind the goal and may have been a little distracted for the 90 minutes and we conceded at the corner, heads went down and it was 2-2 in a matter of minutes, pushing for the winner Mabe were caught on the break as the striker held off 2 defenders to beat the onrushing keeper. Good game for a neutral, credit to Ludgvan's no.5 in the middle who appears in his senior years but definitely covered far more ground than the majority of the Mabe side. Reverse fixture next week at Ludgvan.

Penwith 2 Frogpool 1 div 2

A late change to Frogpool keeper as he was late meant a reshuffle but didn't let it faze us. Penwith started the brighter and had a host of chances but Frogpool battled and didn't give them an easy strike at goal. Frogpool went 1 nil up against the run of play. Nice interchange.saw a through ball over the top for Mike rollason to run onto and finish well. Penwith came back and scored with last kick of second half. 1-1 half time.

Frogpool started the brighter second half and could of gone 2-1 ahead but lob over the keeper bounced up and hit the bar. Penwith scored through a long throw and header as Frogpool tired.

Our stand in keeper Darren meagor had a great game sweeping behind and made some good saves but an all round team performance. Think point would of been fair not for amount of chances or possession but that's the best defensive performance of the season against a very strong unbeaten side.

Ref had a good a game in the middle. 

Pendeen v Threemilestone postponed

threemilestone unable to raise a side 

I know this is u fortunate but not fair on Pendeen obviously we will be awarded the points but with the league so tight up the top could come down to goal difference and all top 4 teams have put 10 plus goals past threemilestone each which has obviously boosted there goal tally but we won't have the same opportunity surely something has to be done about this rule 

7 minutes ago, wazza1999 said:

I know this is u fortunate but not fair on Pendeen obviously we will be awarded the points but with the league so tight up the top could come down to goal difference and all top 4 teams have put 10 plus goals past threemilestone each which has obviously boosted there goal tally but we won't have the same opportunity surely something has to be done about this rule 

Wazza, that's how it is nationwide. I understand what you are saying but nothing can be done to change it. Would you rather a H-W result in 10 goals being awarded to the non-offending side? Imagine it on the flip side... imagine if a team were relegated on goal difference that was down to the league awarding goals for a H-W. A goalless win is the only way that it can be done fairly.

I know it's not ideal for exactly the reason you give, but it is by far the fairest way of doing it which would have the minimal effect on all clubs.

I hope that Threemilestone can recover.

10 minutes ago, wazza1999 said:

Same happened on last day of the season to Chacewater last season... We needed goals as well as the win to win the league... Fair enough we needed 15 goals against St Buryan but we did believe we could do it considering we'd beaten them 8-0 a couple of weeks before that at their place.... But all we got was the points as they "couldn't raise a side" (despite their 2nd team on their way to play away at Newquay which also ended up being called off as they couldn't play if the 1sts didn't and they didn't want to play Chacewater instead so there was actually players available) so in the end we levelled on points with lizard but goal difference was better for them.  So I agree I think something should be added to the rule... Whether it's an average of goals conceded done at the end of the season that is put on although that would be confusing and messy.  Or even just a straight 5-0 win as well as the points. I know that wouldn't have meant much difference for us last season but as you say this could affect your season later on if it is still this close

11 minutes ago, B_D said:

Wazza, that's how it is nationwide. I understand what you are saying but nothing can be done to change it. Would you rather a H-W result in 10 goals being awarded to the non-offending side? Imagine it on the flip side... imagine if a team were relegated on goal difference that was down to the league awarding goals for a H-W. A goalless win is the only way that it can be done fairly.

I know it's not ideal for exactly the reason you give, but it is by far the fairest way of doing it which would have the minimal effect on all clubs.

I hope that Threemilestone can recover.

I understand what your saying but it seems to easy to just call a game off we were informed at 830am they couldn raise a side surely more effort should be put in to get a team out last week at9am we had 9 players but managed to pull in a couple players and get the game played surely it's better to field a side of some sort rather than just cry off so easily 

Hayle 3rds done exactly that against Troon Reserves not so long ago. They played with seven men and completed the game! That speaks absolute volumes.

Shak, I absolutely understand what you are saying, especially with the situation for Chacewater last season. Unfortunately, this is the fairest way for it to be done. It's a difficult one because either way you look at it, one club will feel aggrieved. 

What you have to bare in mind is that our league rules have to meet County and National regulations.

@wazza1999 what we need to do is find more people to get involved with football. We've lost over 4000 participants just in the Trelawny League since it was formed between Mining and Falmouth Helston leagues. That's a huge amount of people. Where are they now? What are they doing instead of playing football? 

As clubs, we need to work together to try and get more people in our catchment areas back to playing the game

A few of the teams that have folded in recent years (some of these are also the whole club), and their grounds since 12/13:

Falmouth Albion - Dracena
Perranwell Reserves - King George V Playing Field
Gulval (firsts and reserves) - St Clare
Sennen - Sennen Junior School
Trevenson United (First and Reserves) - Pool School, Camborne School and Camborne Rugby Club
Praze and Beeble (First and Reserves) - Nancegollan and Praze
Titans - Park Road and Camborne Rugby Club
St Ives Town Reserves - The Saltings, Lelant
Falmouth Athletic DC - Dracena 
Cury - Jubilee Playing Fields 
Porthleven Rangers - Helston School
Mousehole 3rds - Newlyn Coombe
Redruth Athletic - Clijah Croft
Newquay Reserves, 3rds and 4ths - St Columb Minor
Lizard Argyle Reserves - Beacon Terrace
Constantine Reserves - Trebarvah
Madron Reserves - St George's Playing Fields
Mullion Thirds - Clifden Parc
Marazion Blues Reserves - Gwallen Lane
Gwinear Churchtown Reserves - The Royal Standard
Camborne Park - Park Road
Ludgvan Reserves - Fair Field
Newlyn Dolphins - Newlyn Coombe
Trelander - Boscawen Park / Truro School
Troon 3rds - Grouter Park
Camborne Athletic - Roskear Park
Railway Locomotiv - Clijah Croft

Camborne Town - Roskear

Newlyn Dolphins

That's a massive amount of clubs :( The majority played at local authority pitches, but some also played at clubs that own their own facilities. There are also some clubs here that have folded, come back and then Folded again, Camborne Park for example.

One of the main problems for the clubs (and this is completely of my own opinion and not the leagues nor anyone else) is that local authorities charge a massive amount of money for their pitches. Clijah Croft, I believe is anywhere between £800-£1000 a season (correct me if I'm wrong), Camborne Rugby Club ( Boundervean Lane) was over £1500 a season.

We need facilities to be affordable for our clubs, unfortunately there is very little money in grassroots football down here and a very small amount of investment into lad. Clijah Croft and Boscawen Park (Malpas) being two of the only multi-pitch council owned facilities.

This is just from a quick look through the tables on Full Time so I may have missed a few.

Div 2

Falmouth town 2 Mawnan 3

Big game for us today with us being 5th and town being 4th. We started of well and thought we dominated much of the first half and went in with a well deserved 2-0 lead. Fair play to town tho they made a few tactical changes at half time and got back in to it with a penalty and then grabbing a equaliser and at that time either team could of gone on to win it! But luckily for us Dan "Aguero" Buckingham rose higher than anyone else from a cross to send a bullet header in the back of the net in the dying minutes of the game to give us all 3 points! Good luck to Falmouth for the rest of the season great bunch of lads! 

Mawnan goal scorers 

Brodie Kemp x1

Keir Dent x1

Dan Buckingham x1

1 hour ago, Quackers93 said:

Mabe having won their first game since November in their last outing were hoping to make it two wins in a row and maybe should have as they were 2-0 up after 70 minutes but absolutely fell to bits for the final 20 conceding 2 from corners with some poor marking and then being caught on the break by Ludgvan, take no credit from Ludgvan they fought till the end and were it not for two fantastic saves by their keeper it could've easily been 4-0. 

Mabe took the lead in the first 10 minutes Sam Duckham with a goal from a corner from the edge of the box. Mabe were a little lazy with the ball and Ludgvan easily could've been back into it if not leading at half time. It was 1-0 at half time to Mabe, In the second half they doubled their lead through a flick on from midfield which found David Webb who beat the keeper one on one. Then the wheels began to come off, the goalkeeper who was talking to his friends behind the goal and may have been a little distracted for the 90 minutes and we conceded at the corner, heads went down and it was 2-2 in a matter of minutes, pushing for the winner Mabe were caught on the break as the striker held off 2 defenders to beat the onrushing keeper. Good game for a neutral, credit to Ludgvan's no.5 in the middle who appears in his senior years but definitely covered far more ground than the majority of the Mabe side. Reverse fixture next week at Ludgvan.

Fair report.

We started extremely poorly and were lucky not to be further behind at the break. After going two down and being put under a bit pressure from your forwards I thought that would be that but credit to my team-mates, they all kept going and were duly rewarded for their efforts.

Michael Fitchett got us back into the game with a header from a Jon Olds corner and after a couple of chances (that were probably easier to score), we managed to get on level terms when Jonny Badcock tapped in at the far post.

Fitchett then got the winner (and his second of the afternoon) when he held off two defenders before slotting the ball underneath the young Mabe goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

Our number 5 was 58-year-old John Matthews. He actually told us he couldn't play today but we were really short (as has been the case all too often this season) so he didn't have that much choice!

Felt the game was well refereed by Marc Rose too.

See you next week!

1 hour ago, Quackers93 said:

No mention of how well the game was  refereed?

By far the best ref I've seen in Cornish football for years if not ever 

Think he goes by the name "Rosie"

???

8 minutes ago, Hurler said:

Fair report.

We started extremely poorly and were lucky not to be further behind at the break. After going two down and being put under a bit pressure from your forwards I thought that would be that but credit to my team-mates, they all kept going and were duly rewarded for their efforts.

Michael Fitchett got us back into the game with a header from a Jon Olds corner and after a couple of chances (that were probably easier to score), we managed to get on level terms when Jonny Badcock tapped in at the far post.

Fitchett then got the winner (and his second of the afternoon) when he held off two defenders before slotting the ball underneath the young Mabe goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

Our number 5 was 58-year-old John Matthews. He actually told us he couldn't play today but we were really short (as has been the case all too often this season) so he didn't have that much choice!

Felt the game was well refereed by Marc Rose too.

See you next week!

Marc has had a great season so far which has been correctly rewarded with a County Cup final appointment. He's a credit to the Trelawny League.

50 minutes ago, B_D said:

Hayle 3rds done exactly that against Troon Reserves not so long ago. They played with seven men and completed the game! That speaks absolute volumes.

Shak, I absolutely understand what you are saying, especially with the situation for Chacewater last season. Unfortunately, this is the fairest way for it to be done. It's a difficult one because either way you look at it, one club will feel aggrieved. 

What you have to bare in mind is that our league rules have to meet County and National regulations.

@wazza1999 what we need to do is find more people to get involved with football. We've lost over 4000 participants just in the Trelawny League since it was formed between Mining and Falmouth Helston leagues. That's a huge amount of people. Where are they now? What are they doing instead of playing football? 

As clubs, we need to work together to try and get more people in our catchment areas back to playing the game

I've said this on another post instead of the FA allocating funds to new teams they need to improve local government facilities to make it more attractive to people to become involved at proper grass roots level

52 minutes ago, B_D said:

A few of the teams that have folded in recent years (some of these are also the whole club), and their grounds since 12/13:

Trevenson United (First and Reserves) - Pool School, Camborne School and Camborne Rugby Club

That's a massive amount of clubs :( The majority played at local authority pitches, but some also played at clubs that own their own facilities. There are also some clubs here that have folded, come back and then Folded again, Camborne Park for example.

One of the main problems for the clubs (and this is completely of my own opinion and not the leagues nor anyone else) is that local authorities charge a massive amount of money for their pitches. Clijah Croft, I believe is anywhere between £800-£1000 a season (correct me if I'm wrong), Camborne Rugby Club ( Boundervean Lane) was over £1500 a season.

We need facilities to be affordable for our clubs, unfortunately there is very little money in grassroots football down here and a very small amount of investment into lad. Clijah Croft and Boscawen Park (Malpas) being two of the only multi-pitch council owned facilities.

This is just from a quick look through the tables on Full Time so I may have missed a few.

Newlyn Dolphins, didn't they just change their name to Lions?

Camborne Town

Dave again I apologies for repeating myself but we at Redruth work with and are great full to the local authority but we have spent over £6000 on the pitch and could still be removed at the end of the season and cannot get anything from the FA because we only have a 12 month lease. We like any grassroot club feel let down by the FA because we are struggling to keep local football alive

4 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Dave again I apologies for repeating myself but we at Redruth work with and are great full to the local authority but we have spent over £6000 on the pitch and could still be removed at the end of the season and cannot get anything from the FA because we only have a 12 month lease. We like any grassroot club feel let down by the FA because we are struggling to keep local football alive

I agree with you. I recall us talking about this during the week. More needs to be done for grassroots football. Through my experience with some of the guys up at County, I know that there is nothing more they'd like to do than throw money at grassroots clubs. But they (and their funds) are governed by the National FA; they've also had their budgets slashed by the NFA. 

Its the same across all walks of life (including mine in the military), cuts are being made left, right and centre and we are all expected to suck it up and deal with it :(

Dave football explains to to me everything about this country that I love and live in. If you have a blazer with the right badge on you are in the club, if not then jog on

Dave football explains to to me everything about this country that I love and live in. If you have a blazer with the right badge on you are in the club, if not then jog on. We as a club charge £2.50 subs 1st or 2nds but and it is a bloody big but we have a committee who work bloody hard to constantly raise funds to provide for our players and facilities so that we do not sit back and moan

9 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Dave football explains to to me everything about this country that I love and live in. If you have a blazer with the right badge on you are in the club, if not then jog on

Dave football explains to to me everything about this country that I love and live in. If you have a blazer with the right badge on you are in the club, if not then jog on. We as a club charge £2.50 subs 1st or 2nds but and it is a bloody big but we have a committee who work bloody hard to constantly raise funds to provide for our players and facilities so that we do not sit back and moan

I know exactly how it is mate. If I had my way, no-one would have to pay subs anywhere. We shouldn't have to pay to take part in a sport that we love at a competitive level. But, we do so because we love the game; and there is no other way a club at our level could be sustainable if players weren't asked to contribute to the costs. 

I don't want to take too much of this results thread up talking about the problems we face, but I really do hope that more is done in the near future to save grassroots football.

24 minutes ago, joejellico said:

if they didnt pay subs b-d how would the club afford to pay for insurance etc

That's where sponsorship would come in.

I formed a club only two season ago and have been involved with junior football for 14 years now; I know how hard sponsorship is to get.

As you rightfully state though, there are plenty of running costs involved including insurances, affiliations etc. You would need to be extremely fortunate at this level to not pay subs at all. That is why I have so much respect and time for this league and most of the people in it. It takes a huge amount of hard work to run a club, usually with very few people.

7 minutes ago, joejellico said:

people these days pay £30 a month to use a gym. £12 a month isnt a lot to ask to play the sport you love. football is cheap compared to other hobbies

Joe before I came to Hayle my folded club Long Rock charged £2.50 subs and that was 15 years ago , so no £12 is not a big amount to play football  and have a shower , and grounds and facilities are much improved , no more washing in cow troughs ( done that)  or no washing or running water at all ,  but some players don't  appreciate what they have  today compared to say twenty years ago .

4 hours ago, Asterix said:

Sorry graham. On the plus side the wife doesn't have to cook now. :)

Cheers pal. More like rugby then football with the stop/start 

4 hours ago, Slipperygloves1 said:

Constantine 4 lanner 1 

Caution each time I suppose.

4 hours ago, andy howes said:

It was a good game to watch today I think a fair result with Chacewater just edging it and I've got to mention the referee today absolutely superb and only a level 7 Well-done. 

Andy you were a great ref yourself so to impress you he must be doing something right , good to hear officials getting praise .:thumbsup:

We've been struggling big time recently at threemilestone, going into games with 5/6 out each week working or injured etc. We rock up to games with 10 or 11 each week just to keep fulfill the fixtures.. yes we'll be relegated it's not a problem, we'll recover hopefully in div 1, and yes I apologise to pendeen for unfortunately not being able to play the game but it's the only game this season from a team that's not having a great time and struggling big time. You've got the three points anyway so wanting a plus 10 goal difference is being greedy ?

RH Cup:

Four Lanes 2-1 West Cornwall Reserves

Four Lanes go into the semi/final to play Probus, after two goals from David Welfare, both created by Joel Snape. 

Four Lanes took the lead late into the first half, but West Cornwall hit back with ten minutes to go with a headed own goal from Mikey Welfare from 25 yards to make it 1-1.

With the game looking like it was heading to extra time David Welfare was passed the ball just outside the box before hitting it into the top corner leaving the keeper no chance.

If West Cornwall had took their chances it could of easily been them into the next round.

Thanks for coming back to the pub and see you in the league later on in the season.

18 hours ago, B_D said:

Camborne Town - Roskear

Newlyn Dolphins

Newlyn dolphins haven't they've just changed their name to Newlyn lions.