Cornwall Football Forum

Great Move for Parkway

24 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Just feel sorry for those supporters who have paid to see Saturday football and not evening football.

Much prefer going to home park on Thursday then up to back end of Bristol.  
think Argyle and parkway should have opened up free entry to argyle dragon ticket holders. Could have got a decent crowd in.

6 hours ago, Devonian said:

Drew 1-1. Need wins urgently if they are to avoid relegation.

crowd - an impressive 1250

3rd highest Southern League Prem South gate of the season behind previous crowds of 1296 at Merthyr and 1365 for Totton.

Parkway's record attendance for a competitive home match is 1362 v Cinderford in April 2022.  

Was a decent crowd to be fair in the mayflower stand and a fair few argyle fans there just watch a bit midweek football. 
the game it self was ok .  Parkway probably deserved to win. They missed a couple of chances , hit the woodwork a few times and gifted Winchester a goal when Shane white played  an awful back pass  . 
still not convinced parkway have the strikers to get them self’s out of trouble. Last night started  was crago and Thompson up front and predictably they both subbed for Matt wright and Dylan jones around 60-70 min again  and still made no impact.  Need a 20 -25goal a season striker to be the main man up there certainly haven’t got one at the minute 

need to get back to Bolitho desperately I don’t think the offer of argyle ground will be there again this season especially if the rumoured 3 or 4 grand to use it is true. 
hopefully a few from last night turn up to bolitho and boost the crowds there. 

Another postponement for Parkway. 
I notice that is now 10 games to try and fit in and finish in about 3 weeks that is a ridiculous demand. .already 4 games in 6 days stating Sunday. It dangerous and will bring injuries 
Taunton have been forced by the league ti complete fixtures at an alternative venue. I imagine parkway will face the same threat of weekend game in doubt.  
Causing a great deal of stress on clubs relying on revenue for home games.  
Not sure the answer but I do feel clubs down here are being really unfairly treated due to an unprecedented level of rain 

Thu 04 Apr 24

19:45

Plymouth Parkway

AFC Totton

Southern League Prem South

Sun 07 Apr 24

14:00

Plymouth Parkway

Swindon Supermarine

Tue 09 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Harrow Borough

Thu 11 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Salisbury

Sat 13 Apr 24

15:00

Didcot Town

Plymouth Parkway

Tue 16 Apr 24

Poole Town

Plymouth Parkway

Thu 18 Apr 24

Hanwell Town

Plymouth Parkway

Sat 20 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Walton & Hersham

Tue 23 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Hayes & Yeading United

Sat 27 Apr 24

Beaconsfield Town

Plymouth Parkway

Every year this happens to someone somewhere in the country, season won't be extended and if you did, how long would you extend it by, knowing that might not be enough as the weather is still erratic and Parkway possibly won't hold up.

The loss of revenue is hard, players welfare is a concern, I do admire Truro for being proactive and feel like Parkway have waited for the inevitable, not sure what the answer is but the fixture congestion could get worse and there is a real risk that they might end up playing daily, double headers if allowed or not completing their season.

8 hours ago, baldy said:

Thu 04 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

AFC Totton

Sun 07 Apr 24

14:00

Plymouth Parkway

Swindon Supermarine

Tue 09 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Harrow Borough

Thu 11 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Salisbury

Sat 13 Apr 24

Didcot Town

Plymouth Parkway

Tue 16 Apr 24

Poole Town

Plymouth Parkway

Thu 18 Apr 24

Hanwell Town

Plymouth Parkway

Sat 20 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Walton & Hersham

Tue 23 Apr 24

Plymouth Parkway

Hayes & Yeading United

Sat 27 Apr 24

Beaconsfield Town

Plymouth Parkway

That fixture list is obviously absurd. I have to say, I think the best thing Parkway (and other clubs in their position fighting relegation) could do, is make a judgement on where they think they can win and target those games hard. Forfeit games against Totton, Walton, Poole, Salisbury, and prepare the squad for more winnable games that will keep them up. That is a totally unrealistic schedule.

The league will say it's incumbent on clubs to fulfil their fixtures, and of course it is, but it's incumbent on the league to be realistic, and across numerous leagues South Western teams are paying the price of this wet winter. Taunton, Torquay, Parkway, Mousehole et al all counting the cost both financially and in terms of playing implications. Clubs will miss the play offs or go down who otherwise shouldn't, purely because they have the misfortune to play in a part of the country that gets the worst of the weather.

I'm involved with a NLS club, and the reality of this means players cancelling summer holidays with families to complete league fixtures on weekdays. It's absurd. The league bears a lot of responsibility. The NLS club I'm involved with had TWO Tuesday fixtures in August and September. Why? A front loading of fixtures would pre-empt and avoid the inevitable winter pressure. It's a no-brainer and it baffles me that the league won't do this. Simple solution to a regularly recurring issue.

35 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Not so sure that would be a good idea! Surely the league would chuck them out? 

I'm imagining a pretty heavy sanction would come from forfeiting matches at this level. Bit more than a mandatory 2-0 defeat. Unless what is meant by "forfeit" is playing a weakened side of under 18's (for example). The league may well take a dim view of that as well.

8 hours ago, GRTourist said:

That fixture list is obviously absurd. I have to say, I think the best thing Parkway (and other clubs in their position fighting relegation) could do, is make a judgement on where they think they can win and target those games hard. Forfeit games against Totton, Walton, Poole, Salisbury, and prepare the squad for more winnable games that will keep them up. That is a totally unrealistic schedule.

The league will say it's incumbent on clubs to fulfil their fixtures, and of course it is, but it's incumbent on the league to be realistic, and across numerous leagues South Western teams are paying the price of this wet winter. Taunton, Torquay, Parkway, Mousehole et al all counting the cost both financially and in terms of playing implications. Clubs will miss the play offs or go down who otherwise shouldn't, purely because they have the misfortune to play in a part of the country that gets the worst of the weather.

I'm involved with a NLS club, and the reality of this means players cancelling summer holidays with families to complete league fixtures on weekdays. It's absurd. The league bears a lot of responsibility. The NLS club I'm involved with had TWO Tuesday fixtures in August and September. Why? A front loading of fixtures would pre-empt and avoid the inevitable winter pressure. It's a no-brainer and it baffles me that the league won't do this. Simple solution to a regularly recurring issue.

As I've said on this forum before, can see it getting to a point where it's extremely difficult for clubs in the far South West to play football at step 2,3 and 4 level. 

On a different topic, given how exhaustive the ground grading regulations are for spectator, officials and players facilities, is there anything to cover playing surfaces? Specifically drainage systems. The problems at Bolitho Park are well documented and can be attributed to ground sharing, but no such issue existed at Taunton. Pretty sure only the first team used Wordsworth Drive, with no reserve or youth side playing on it. Appears there has been no significant work done or money spent on improving the pitch drainage in recent years, despite them rising through the pyramid.

59 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

I'm imagining a pretty heavy sanction would come from forfeiting matches at this level. Bit more than a mandatory 2-0 defeat. Unless what is meant by "forfeit" is playing a weakened side of under 18's (for example). The league may well take a dim view of that as well.

As I've said on this forum before, can see it getting to a point where it's extremely difficult for clubs in the far South West to play football at step 2,3 and 4 level. 

On a different topic, given how exhaustive the ground grading regulations are for spectator, officials and players facilities, is there anything to cover playing surfaces? Specifically drainage systems. The problems at Bolitho Park are well documented and can be attributed to ground sharing, but no such issue existed at Taunton. Pretty sure only the first team used Wordsworth Drive, with no reserve or youth side playing on it. Appears there has been no significant work done or money spent on improving the pitch drainage in recent years, despite them rising through the pyramid.

The quality of the playing surface itself is covered by the GG requirements, and pitch slope, but not drainage. 

Parkway are due to be at home on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. After more heavy rain yesterday, there is rain in the BBC forecast on every day in the next fortnight. The chances of playing all three of those games at Bolitho is surely close to zero.

The next week the club are expected to travel to Didcot, Poole and London - the latter two on weekdays when players would normally be working.

Surely league has to show some flexibility and at least allow them to play home games at Coach Road rather than expect them to be the latest club heading to Gloucester?

12 minutes ago, Devonian said:

Parkway are due to be at home on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. After more heavy rain yesterday, there is rain in the BBC forecast on every day in the next fortnight. The chances of playing all three of those games at Bolitho is surely close to zero.

The next week the club are expected to travel to Didcot, Poole and London - the latter two on weekdays when players would normally be working.

Surely league has to show some flexibility and at least allow them to play home games at Coach Road rather than expect them to be the latest club heading to Gloucester?

Gloucester City are doing quite nicely from this with themselves, Truro and now Taunton playing there. Great time to be a non league football supporter in that area.

I believe Taunton have been made to play at an alternative venue by the league.  
not sure if parkway are under orders yet but I can  imagine an alternative ground is being looked at already.
But where do you go ? 
trying to arrange time off work to play the rest of season away would be a nightmare . 

I be surprised if Sundays game is on at bolitho. You also lose out on massive amount of revenue that must impact next seasons budget 

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Gloucester City are doing quite nicely from this with themselves, Truro and now Taunton playing there. Great time to be a non league football supporter in that area.

A big investment, but with the worsening weather over the years, any club that can develop a 3g/4g ground that can host games up to NLS level in Cornwall would clean up at the end of most future seasons.  I wonder what the ST Austell plan is regarding ground gradings?  Similarly, will the CCFA plans for a county ground come to fruition and what level of football would they be aiming to host?

11 hours ago, GRTourist said:

The NLS club I'm involved with had TWO Tuesday fixtures in August and September. Why? A front loading of fixtures would pre-empt and avoid the inevitable winter pressure. It's a no-brainer and it baffles me that the league won't do this. Simple solution to a regularly recurring issue.

Time for the FA to step up to the mark and demand that leagues front load their fixtures in the early part of the season. Midweek games every week at least into November would probably break the back of it.

16 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

A big investment, but with the worsening weather over the years, any club that can develop a 3g/4g ground that can host games up to NLS level in Cornwall would clean up at the end of most future seasons.  I wonder what the ST Austell plan is regarding ground gradings?  Similarly, will the CCFA plans for a county ground come to fruition and what level of football would they be aiming to host?

Time for the FA to step up to the mark and demand that leagues front load their fixtures in the early part of the season. Midweek games every week at least into November would probably break the back of it.

The SWPL already do this and it is a struggle this season. How about less PSFs, most clubs play 5 or 6 now, and start the season two weeks earlier too. The real problem is the inflexibility of the FA.

I believe Plymouth Argyle’s new training facility at Brickfields will have 3G pitches with spectator accommodation. Wonder if most cost effective solution may be to equip one of them to meet NLS ground standards to provide a contingency for all D and C clubs? No idea how practical that may be.

4 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Feel for people who purchase season tickets .  Can see next season the ticket sales taking a proper hit.  Hope the offer some sort of discount to current season  holders for next season 

was looking forward to going Sunday but in all honesty losing interest in all now. 

So with you Sportsman!! Have only seen  Truro City once in recent months, the 0-0 draw at Taunton. I’m a  PPFC watcher fairly regularly too and was looking forward to Sunday also. The constant checking of fixture lists, Twitter re pitches, looking for alternative games to go to means my interest has been slashed. Making travel plans is / has been a nightmare. 

Often the attitude of clubs is very poor. Seeing the TCFC games move ridiculous distances away (albeit with no choice) and them continuing  to use the tagline #footballiscominghime irks me greatly. Save that for the season end. When I said how it irked me, their media man just replied we’ll continue to use it! Well that stuff you attitude is being reciprocated next season too, bar a trip to ‘do’ the new ground!

Further I was not too impressed to see no apology for the poor comms from Tavi re their postponement vs Wimborne. I met a couple of people who travelled long distances to that game. They were not happy, especially it being on a BHol Monday and all that brings. One local volunteer I know  at a local  club is so disillusioned that he’s packed up for the rest of the season. No-one likes games off. It is, however,  better to warn of a possible PP, let people know the likely chances of a game going ahead to avoid unnecessary travel. Too many clubs seem slow to respond to queries from supporters.

I’ve see people on Twitter ask about the position of Parkway ST holders and home games being played far away. Again, PPFC have little choice, as needs must. But some explicit comment / action to indicate fans are valued would be nice. It seems to me that current ST holders should get a goodwill gesture, perhaps a cheaper ST price than others in renewing their ticket.

Sad to say, my interest in this season is dying. I’m seeing pro clubs principally now as games are nearly always  on - hope I’m not tempting fate here for Exeter v Stevenage tomorrow and Argyle v QPR on Tuesday. 

One last hurrah with City  this season was planned. A trip to Gloucester to see TCFC v Maidstone in 13/4. The game will be on, but today I got notice that my return train has been cancelled!!! It sums up my  season!

Personal circumstances changed my watching habits this season even before the bad weather. Next season I’m even more likely to watch more football in / around Plymouth.  So I!m looking at how things unfold at Parkway..

Hopefully we’ll see the season from hell  for Truro, Parkway and Taunton end in them retaining their current statuses. 

Elsewhere a late playoff push from Tavi & Mousehole would be good and Falmouth & Liskeard winning their respective divisions would put some gloss on a dire season. 

OK …Rant over…… but note I’m only ranting as I care about grassroots football in Cornwall & Devon. 

Here’s to season 2024/25 with a bit of cricket and beach before then!

3 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Great read Both Sides. Think that sums a lot of us up. Was looking forward to seeing Bucks tomorrow but will now head to Coach Road. I doubt very much that Buckland will be on Tuesday night either. 

Ironically I had Homers Heath pencilled in for Good Friday! The Bucks were the club that got me ‘into’ non league football. I will always have a soft spot for the Yellows!

18 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Feel for people who purchase season tickets .  Can see next season the ticket sales taking a proper hit.  Hope the offer some sort of discount to current season  holders for next season 

was looking forward to going Sunday but in all honesty losing interest in all now. 

To be honest, would think that all the board and management are focusing on at the moment is somehow getting the season finished. No matter where and when the fixtures are played, 10 of them have to be fulfilled in the last 20 days.

Don't forget that ,just like the players, these people have day jobs and families as well. Must be taking a big toll on them.