Cornwall Football Forum

Craig Ainsley named new St Austell manager

Seen on the St Austell website that Craig Ainsley is the new manager there if this is the case it seems like the dirty has been done on Chris Knight and James Powell after they was announced as the new management team and now they have appointed Ainsley and no doubt his assistants and majority of players will join him because they follow like sheep ,so what is going to happen to the St Austell players that have left Blazey to rejoin St Austell ,no money there lads .

Hopefully Chris Knight and James Powell will be asked to come in and manage Newquay or long shot ex Saltash manager Danny Lewis even heard the best manager there has ever been in Cornwall is looking at getting back into management and not assitant and that is the great Darren Gilbert .

Hope things get sorted out at Newquay soon it seems to be a bloody mess there at the moment 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Seen on the St Austell website that Craig Ainsley is the new manager there if this is the case it seems like the dirty has been done on Chris Knight and James Powell after they was announced as the new management team and now they have appointed Ainsley and no doubt his assistants and majority of players will join him because they follow like sheep ,so what is going to happen to the St Austell players that have left Blazey to rejoin St Austell ,no money there lads .

Hopefully Chris Knight and James Powell will be asked to come in and manage Newquay or long shot ex Saltash manager Danny Lewis even heard the best manager there has ever been in Cornwall is looking at getting back into management and not assitant and that is the great Darren Gilbert .

Hope things get sorted out at Newquay soon it seems to be a bloody mess there at the moment 

Are you 100% correct about the St Austell situation 100%? Craig has been announced as the first team coach, which to me suggests Knighter is still going to be the manager.

Regarding Darren - is he not the manager at Liskeard now that the club announced the other two had stood down? 

There is no way Ash Bradshaw wont be going there as Craigs Assitant we will see wish Craig all the best hes got a good set of players there already and with Ollie and Neil real quality and with  a few of the Newquay lads no doubt joining Craig i reckon they got to be 1 of the favourites but its got to be Liskeards title this season . 

Why Dont Chris Knight and James Powell put in for the Newquay job think they would like it up Mt Wise not a bad crowd really you will both be appreciated up there .

Yes Way the Park Brian Hodge and Trevor Mewton where both brilliant managers and Trevor was 1 of the nicest people around but i still doubt if anyone can better Darren Gilberts sucess in winning trophies a Hell of a manager 

39 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

There is no way Ash Bradshaw wont be going there as Craigs Assitant we will see wish Craig all the best hes got a good set of players there already and with Ollie and Neil real quality and with  a few of the Newquay lads no doubt joining Craig i reckon they got to be 1 of the favourites but its got to be Liskeards title this season . 

Why Dont Chris Knight and James Powell put in for the Newquay job think they would like it up Mt Wise not a bad crowd really you will both be appreciated up there .

Yes Way the Park Brian Hodge and Trevor Mewton where both brilliant managers and Trevor was 1 of the nicest people around but i still doubt if anyone can better Darren Gilberts sucess in winning trophies a Hell of a manager 

Always hard to compare different eras and their relevant strengths. Brian Hodge and Trevor Mewton were though, for me,the best in my time of watching the local game. Won multiple trophies across different clubs, Hodge was a winner across both SW and Western Leagues.

All opinions though, no right or wrong answers.

If i was a betting man i would put money on Ash Bradshaw being Craigs assistant before Christmas when Craig Ainsley will be the manager , Craig is too good to be anyones assitant he built up a really good Newquay team and with some outstanding youngsters . Maybe when the new Newquay manager is named the likes of Ross Fallens Tom Shepherd will return to Mt Wise and the team can be good once more 

On 18/05/2023 at 11:05, 100%cornish said:

even heard the best manager there has ever been in Cornwall is looking at getting back into management.

Darren Gilbert ..great manager and great chap however i think Falmouth Towns Sir Richard Gray might have a few votes for Cornwalls best ever manager.

On 21/05/2023 at 11:33, Jeff Chambers said:

even heard the best manager there has ever been in Cornwall is looking at getting back into management.

Darren Gilbert ..great manager and great chap however i think Falmouth Towns Sir Richard Gray might have a few votes for Cornwalls best ever manager.

Bit before my time, so never saw that great Falmouth side play. 8 league titles in 8 seasons, and the first WL title won by going the season unbeaten (especially as that league was the equivalent of today's step 3) is probably an achievement that will never be matched. So yes, hard to argue that Richard Gray wasn't the greatest ever manager of Cornish club.

Is he still with us? If so, an interview with Richard Gray would make for a superb edition of Cornwall Soccer Memories.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Bit before my time, so never saw that great Falmouth side play. 8 league titles in 8 seasons, and the first WL title won by going the season unbeaten (especially as that league was the equivalent of today's step 3) is probably an achievement that will never be matched. So yes, hard to argue that Richard Gray wasn't the greatest ever manager of Cornish club.

Is he still with us? If so, an interview with Richard Gray would make for a superb edition of Cornwall Soccer Memories.

Indeed there’s a few former Falmouth Town players that would be good for the special nostalgia theme.

On 18/05/2023 at 18:14, 100%cornish said:

If i was a betting man i would put money on Ash Bradshaw being Craigs assistant before Christmas when Craig Ainsley will be the manager , Craig is too good to be anyones assitant he built up a really good Newquay team and with some outstanding youngsters . Maybe when the new Newquay manager is named the likes of Ross Fallens Tom Shepherd will return to Mt Wise and the team can be good once more 

You need to go back and read all the posts on this subject you’re in dreamland I think. 

On 22/05/2023 at 14:45, Way Of The Park said:

Yes WOTP Richard Gray is still doing great. Around 18 months ago we invited Richard  along with his former players like Joey Scott, Mervyn Rich, Keith Manley, Dave Ferret, Paul Horrocks and Colin Chegwyn to a special tribute for all their outstanding achievements for Falmouth Town. It was really special to see them all together and looking so well. I had the honour of presenting this tribute which was amazing as i had the privilage of watching this incredible 70's team as a teenager. 

Also remembering Richard Gray was also player manager of the great 60's side that won the treble in 1962. I think Richard Gray as a manager won a total of 7 SW league titles and 4 Western league titles. Also 10 Cornwall Senior Cups, not forgetting reaching the FA cup 1st round proper on 3 occasions, there were also numerous league cup wins over those 2 decades.

So yes, if there is a debate on Cornwalls greatest ever manager then Richard Gray would be well in the running. 

spoke to friend in legion from nqy. Wouldn give name ex player nqy legend got job and fallens shepherd price lowry and maybe jbe back to club. Not paying players all love club want to win league and be like Wendron with locals. If true nqy cud go unbeaten. Don’t think JBE cone back tho winning another trophy back to back promotions 

On 23/05/2023 at 21:26, Jeff Chambers said:

Yes WOTP Richard Gray is still doing great. Around 18 months ago we invited Richard  along with his former players like Joey Scott, Mervyn Rich, Keith Manley, Dave Ferret, Paul Horrocks and Colin Chegwyn to a special tribute for all their outstanding achievements for Falmouth Town. It was really special to see them all together and looking so well. I had the honour of presenting this tribute which was amazing as i had the privilage of watching this incredible 70's team as a teenager. 

Also remembering Richard Gray was also player manager of the great 60's side that won the treble in 1962. I think Richard Gray as a manager won a total of 7 SW league titles and 4 Western league titles. Also 10 Cornwall Senior Cups, not forgetting reaching the FA cup 1st round proper on 3 occasions, there were also numerous league cup wins over those 2 decades.

So yes, if there is a debate on Cornwalls greatest ever manager then Richard Gray would be well in the running. 

Richard Gray  Falmouth Town 1961-78 (Player/Player Manager)  488 Appearances  90 goals

Testimonial v Crystal Palace  1971

Scored the two goals against the then current Welsh International goalkeeper Tony Millington at London Road in the 5-2 FA Cup defeat at Peterborough United

Handwritten_2023-05-25_113215.jpg