Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Results - 3rd September 2022

Fixtures 24-27 of 182
Results
3rd September 2022
Hayle Reserves (???) 1-4 Porthleven Reserves (Ryan Trathen, Louis Sargent, Lucas Ziemacki, Ollie Paterson)
Att-15
Helston Athletic Thirds (Fred Williams 3, Ashley Stidwell 3) 6-1 St Agnes Reserves (Ben Marks)
Att- 25
Praze (Harry Badcock, Sam Charlton, Elliot Carveth) 3-1 Rosudgeon (OG)
Att-15
St Just (Ashley Ellis 10, Jack Willis 2, Scott Meagor 2, Josh Attwood, George Harry, Chris Curnow)17-1 Goonhavern Athletic (James Oakley)
Att-40

• cornishteddyboy changed the title to LWC Drinks Combination League Results - 3rd September 2022
On 02/09/2022 at 10:44, cornishteddyboy said:
Fixtures 24-27 of 182
Results
3rd September 2022
Hayle Reserves (???) 1-4 Porthleven Reserves (Ryan Trathen, Louis Sargent, Lucas Ziemacki, Ollie Paterson)
Att-???
Helston Athletic Thirds (???) 6-1 St Agnes Reserves ()
Att- ???
Praze (Harry Badcock, Sam Charlton, Elliot Carveth) 3-1 Rosudgeon (???)
Att-15
St Just (???)17-1 Goonhavern Athletic (???)
Att-???

St just 17? Who were they playing? Youth side? 

48 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

I have heard Ashley Ellis scored 10 goals today. If so that is the highest number of goals scored by any single player in a Combo match.

Not really an accurate and fair statement, the standard now is so low in the Combination league that it holds little standing, and also a level of unfairness for the players competing 20+ years ago in which this certainly  wouldn’t have happened, time to draw the curtains on the Combination League I’m afraid.

Negative comments towards this league dont help, and as the ref for todays game between St Just and goonhavern can i just say. Yeah Goonhavern have conceded 30 goals in 2 games, but there still together there still turning up, we as a comminuty have to respect that rather than running down the league itself. the combo league has been brought to bear due to  fa restructuring the leagues. Let the lads play football the status quo will prevail we should all know that. ps Goonhavern always tried to play football, 1st to 91st minute.  those boys have my respect as do st just for being as clinical as they were! 

As you were

What was the previous record Paul? I remember scoring 7 against Ludgvan for Perranwell one season in a 10-1 win towards the end of my days and was told with about 20 minutes to go that 8 was the record at the time set by Roger Toms playing for Illogan in the 70s? I only managed 1 more goal and twisted my ankle a bit that day but didn’t mind cos I really like Rog anyway but would have been nice to equal it!! 😀👍️ Never heard of anyone getting 9 or 10 in a combo game though? Can see what people are saying, shame for a great old league and excellent standard of football when I was 14 making my senior debut for Truro City down Marazion in 1982!! But in Ashley’s defence he can only score against teams put in front of him so it’s congratulations from me on the new record. 👍👏🏼

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

What was the previous record Paul? I remember scoring 7 against Ludgvan for Perranwell one season in a 10-1 win towards the end of my days and was told with about 20 minutes to go that 8 was the record at the time set by Roger Toms playing for Illogan in the 70s? I only managed 1 more goal and twisted my ankle a bit that day but didn’t mind cos I really like Rog anyway but would have been nice to equal it!! 😀👍️ Never heard of anyone getting 9 or 10 in a combo game though? Can see what people are saying, shame for a great old league and excellent standard of football when I was 14 making my senior debut for Truro City down Marazion in 1982!! But in Ashley’s defence he can only score against teams put in front of him so it’s congratulations from me on the new record. 👍👏🏼

Paul’s excellent stats and figures on his website have Pendeen & Falmouth Town Ressies holding the record for a team win who both beat Ludgvan 19-0 in 2011 (Not at the same time 🥴😂)

Records are at the link below

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/teamrecordscores.htm

8 is the highest held by 4 players until yesterday

Ashley Ellis St Just v Porthleven Ressies 2016

Neil Southall  Helston v Portreath 2009

Derek Newman Porthleven v Holmans 🥴 1988

Roger Toms Illogan v Mousehole 1972

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/hotshots.html

5 hours ago, TheRef said:

Negative comments towards this league dont help, and as the ref for todays game between St Just and goonhavern can i just say. Yeah Goonhavern have conceded 30 goals in 2 games, but there still together there still turning up, we as a comminuty have to respect that rather than running down the league itself. the combo league has been brought to bear due to  fa restructuring the leagues. Let the lads play football the status quo will prevail we should all know that. ps Goonhavern always tried to play football, 1st to 91st minute.  those boys have my respect as do st just for being as clinical as they were! 

As you were

Sorry Eric slightly disagree with this. I do feel for Goonhavern and fair play to them if they battled for 90 min against a good side but having played against Portreath and Ludgvan when they were struggling in 2009 & 2011 and also been on the end of a double digit hammering against Penzance (11) it’s not really a pleasant experience for either team, for the one getting hammered or even the one netting a ridiculous amount of goals

The quality of this league however is not just down to the FA restructure but also the way promotion and relegation has been decided. If you continue to vote sides in rather then purely on league position it will continue to undermine the quality and integrity of the league and since the formation of the St Piran and Combo scrambling to maintain member clubs it is becoming more and more evident.

The sides finishing in the top positions of the Trelawny Prem are proving that with St Just, Mawnan & Praze all promoted on merit in the last 2 seasons currently sitting in the top 5 but Godolphin voted in from nowhere last year dropped str8 out last season and Porthleven whilst it’s early days yet have only 1 win from 5. 
The sooner the Combo is either absorbed into the Trelawny or St Piran structure the better rather then this ‘halfway house’ set up of a league where it seems to sit outside the natural pyramid of grassroots football for clubs to progress from Trelawny to St Piran.

If you read the "Football is dying in Cornwall" thread on the Main Discussion Board, you will see comments on there from Steve Carpenter about plans for a restructure of the local grassroots game which could or would address some of the issues being raised about the current standard of the Combo and the local game generally.

The FA is dumbing down the Western League and SWPL at present with their "You must be promoted if you win the SWPL if no not you are relegated" attitude. Over the last 3 seasons the "cream" of the local crop have gone up from the SWPL to Western and from now we will start getting smaller or weaker sides winning the league and being forced to go up or smaller sides being promoted into the SWPL to replace them. No disrespect to teams but that will weaken both Leagues.

6 hours ago, TheRef said:

As you were

Don’t take my comments out of context, my view is that the League has pretty much lost all its respect from people that were around watching and playing in the era in which the league was at the height of its competitiveness, the situation where Mousehole tried to enter a team a couple of seasons ago and were refused for then Porthleven this year to have their reserve team voted straight in?? these things don’t help the integrity of the league.

I watch a lot of local football and like I said before the standard is really poor within the Combination League with 3rd and 4th teams playing and players who I can honestly say wouldn’t have got near a Combo game 25 year ago!
You just can’t compare any records being broken in this era to 20+ years ago it’s just so far apart in standard and anyone involved in that era will agree with me.

1 hour ago, Lee Mitchell said:

It’s the same for all leagues, until powers to be run leagues correctly ( below SWPL) and in my opinion have a freeze on new clubs entering the league, the standard is always going to be questioned. 

The leagues have little power over who comes in though to fill vacancies. All down to the clubs who vote them in. Little unfair to blame the league.

7 hours ago, bighairydave said:

The leagues have little power over who comes in though to fill vacancies. All down to the clubs who vote them in. Little unfair to blame the league.

Opinions, Who’d have one this day and age !!! Too manny teams and too many stretched leagues. Might be a real problem in a minute with less and less officials every season !! 

On 03/09/2022 at 21:29, THEMAGPIE said:

Not really an accurate and fair statement, the standard now is so low in the Combination league that it holds little standing, and also a level of unfairness for the players competing 20+ years ago in which this certainly  wouldn’t have happened, time to draw the curtains on the Combination League I’m afraid.

Typical Penzance reaction. Whatever the status of the league, and even if you are right, the statement that Ashley scored ten goals in a single Combo match and set a new record is irrefutable. Since this is more than your entire first team will ever muster, no wonder you lot keep trying to tap him up. Magpie thieves, as ever ! Taptap tap ! Love from Stroud and a Thinner in exile.

On 04/09/2022 at 03:31, TheRef said:

As you were

Well said, ref, and good luck to Goonhavern for the rest of the season. If the TINNERS aren't playing, I will come and cheer them on next time I come down.

21 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Typical Penzance reaction. Whatever the status of the league, and even if you are right, the statement that Ashley scored ten goals in a single Combo match and set a new record is irrefutable. Since this is more than your entire first team will ever muster, no wonder you lot keep trying to tap him up. Magpie thieves, as ever ! Taptap tap ! Love from Stroud and a Thinner in exile.

Well said, ref, and good luck to Goonhavern for the rest of the season. If the TINNERS aren't playing, I will come and cheer them on next time I come down.

Who mentioned Penzance Isaac? 
Has absolutely nothing directly to do with Penzance, it’s a valid point I make that the league was far stronger 20+ years ago, even your Tinners had a reasonable side back then even if it was costing you all your proceeds from your “Raffle”.

On 06/09/2022 at 12:43, THEMAGPIE said:

Who mentioned Penzance Isaac? 
Has absolutely nothing directly to do with Penzance, it’s a valid point I make that the league was far stronger 20+ years ago, even your Tinners had a reasonable side back then even if it was costing you all your proceeds from your “Raffle”.

Yeah, that was a good side. Andy Angove, two Medlins, Wittsy, Gary Bell, Shayners, sometimes Withers, Neil Curnow, Jowan, John McCullum, Stuart Nicholls, Adam Trenoweth, James Payne, he-who-shall-not-be -named from Troon   who gave me an unnecessary roof and knocked down half the stand, Two cups, runners up twice, pipped bv Mousehole and GOONHAVERN !

Don't have to mention Penzance, "The Magpie" (moniker a bit of a giveaway). They're always there, like maggots on the corpse of Cornish football, waiting to hatch out ; or like woodworm undermining its superstructure (thanks, Julian Barnes). "Directly," you're right. Penzance would never set any scoring records, would they? But indirectly, for influence, politics, connections, Mr Fixers, they're the top club in the land. 

I'm not going to be rude about the Combo. I've enjoyed hundreds of its games. I had its biggest trophy on my mantelpiece in Truro for two years. Somebody at the college had a picture of me lecturing on Hamlet while stroking it. "The rest is silence." I'm not going to insult the Combo !

Dear old Mr Roberts, eh?  Now he's the only 96 year old with sovereign powers left. 

9 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Yeah, that was a good side. Andy Angove, two Medlins, Wittsy, Gary Bell, Shayners, sometimes Withers, Neil Curnow, Jowan, John McCullum, Stuart Nicholls, Adam Trenoweth, James Payne, he-who-shall-not-be -named from Troon   who gave me an unnecessary roof and knocked down half the stand, Two cups, runners up twice, pipped bv Mousehole and GOONHAVERN !

Don't have to mention Penzance, "The Magpie" (moniker a bit of a giveaway). They're always there, like maggots on the corpse of Cornish football, waiting to hatch out ; or like woodworm undermining its superstructure (thanks, Julian Barnes). "Directly," you're right. Penzance would never set any scoring records, would they? But indirectly, for influence, politics, connections, Mr Fixers, they're the top club in the land. 

I'm not going to be rude about the Combo. I've enjoyed hundreds of its games. I had its biggest trophy on my mantelpiece in Truro for two years. Somebody at the college had a picture of me lecturing on Hamlet while stroking it. "The rest is silence." I'm not going to insult the Combo !

Dear old Mr Roberts, eh?  Now he's the only 96 year old with sovereign powers left. 

More than sovereign powers, try...presidential!