Cornwall Football Forum

Helston v Falmouth.

13 minutes ago, EddieD said:

Not sure if directed at my comment but seems to be. It was and is not a dig at Helston. It is a statement of fact on the level of expectation. If I buy a £100 grand car I expect it to perform better than one at 30 grand, If I assemble a team for whatever I expect it to out perform one that is on less, doesn't always work that way but I am referring to the level of expectation associated with it. 

Why do all you Falmouth boys speculate about what money is thrown about in Helston and imply that Falmouth don’t do exactly the same. It would be naive to to think some of the better players are there for free. As I have said - does it really matter. You and I are not paying it so happy days. Obscene money has always been in football but some choose to deny it….

20 minutes ago, EddieD said:

Not sure if directed at my comment but seems to be. It was and is not a dig at Helston. It is a statement of fact on the level of expectation. If I buy a £100 grand car I expect it to perform better than one at 30 grand, If I assemble a team for whatever I expect it to out perform one that is on less, doesn't always work that way but I am referring to the level of expectation associated with it. 

Going to be honest on the day for performance give me the 30 grand model

8 minutes ago, le boss said:

Why do all you Falmouth boys speculate about what money is thrown about in Helston and imply that Falmouth don’t do exactly the same. It would be naive to to think some of the better players are there for free. As I have said - does it really matter. You and I are not paying it so happy days. Obscene money has always been in football but some choose to deny it….

I am a regular in watching Helston play football not necessarily the 1st team but like a lot of locals we tend to watch 2nd and 3rd teams are you telling me what Mr Massey is doing is good for our club?

6 minutes ago, Smiler said:

I am a regular in watching Helston play football not necessarily the 1st team but like a lot of locals we tend to watch 2nd and 3rd teams are you telling me what Mr Massey is doing is good for our club?

Who is to know? The club has ambitions to play a higher standard and any player worth their salt should be busting a gut to ride that wave. I would’ve loved to play a much higher standard and the only ones moaning or being deliberately negative are those who have missed the boat due to age or they’re simply not good enough. This playing with your mates rubbish is a complete cop out. I am glad to see the club being ambitious and the chairman has it all under control despite the second guessing and speculation otherwise. Please don’t tell me that the local youth should be playing in the first team because as yet they are just nowhere near good enough. 

1 minute ago, le boss said:

Who is to know? The club has ambitions to play a higher standard and any player worth their salt should be busting a gut to ride that wave. I would’ve loved to play a much higher standard and the only ones moaning or being deliberately negative are those who have missed the boat due to age or they’re simply not good enough. This playing with your mates rubbish is a complete cop out. I am glad to see the club being ambitious and the chairman has it all under control despite the second guessing and speculation otherwise. Please don’t tell me that the local youth should be playing in the first team because as yet they are just nowhere near good enough. 

Can't be a very good holiday your on bash,you've just spent the last 24 hours having a rant .I'd be asking for my money back .Hope your not at the clubs holiday villa .🤣

2 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Can't be a very good holiday your on bash,you've just spent the last 24 hours having a rant .I'd be asking for my money back .Hope your not at the clubs holiday villa .🤣

No rants just opinions and calling out when necessary. Not really a holiday- more a scouting mission - when a club as big as Helston can afford to send me, who am I to argue🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Is it sustainable though?  If you take Mr Masseys money out of the club then at what level can it survive?  

As Smiler illuded to, is it good for the club?  Will the club still be here when Mr Masseys goes? 

It's the drive of Mr Masseys,  not Helston football club.   Its the same as Truro City,  although I would say at a more sensible level 

56 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Is it sustainable though?  If you take Mr Masseys money out of the club then at what level can it survive?  

As Smiler illuded to, is it good for the club?  Will the club still be here when Mr Masseys goes? 

It's the drive of Mr Masseys,  not Helston football club.   Its the same as Truro City,  although I would say at a more sensible level 

Could say that with every club. Takeaway the person paying the money and not much left apart from a few die hard local players. Certainly no Plymouth based lads driving down to play for 10 quid.  

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Who is to say there is not a back up plan or a safety net? Only those in the know really know I guess. 

17 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Could say that with every club. Takeaway the person paying the money and not much left apart from a few die hard local players. Certainly no Plymouth based lads driving down to play for 10 quid.  

Exactly!! Every club, and I mean every club has a benefactor whether the die hard fans like it or not. 

The top clubs pour money into their team to attract the"best" players...their choice,  don't matter to me.

I suspect they all know the risk of crash and burn, Truro did it, Falmouth nearly folded and spend again...so on it goes.

Get on with it,  does not affect me, makes me smile actually the struggle they readily engage in.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The top clubs pour money into their team to attract the"best" players...their choice,  don't matter to me.

I suspect they all know the risk of crash and burn, Truro did it, Falmouth nearly folded and spend again...so on it goes.

Get on with it,  does not affect me, makes me smile actually the struggle they readily engage in.

and penryn never road on the back of clive chinn or w c rowe then hahaha , look where they are now 

Just now, soccceroo said:

and penryn never road on the back of clive chinn or w c rowe then hahaha , look where they are now , plenty of brown envelopes floating around then hahahah 

14 hours ago, Box 2 Box said:

Not every club

Of course not. You are either naive or in that river that flows through Egypt. 

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Never cost us a penny,  when it went we still owned our land, in fact we bought more for training and warming up on.

And who, outside the inner ring of the club, knows it is any different at Helston. Never let the truth ruin a good story eh Dave?? Like you said - does it really matter 

56 minutes ago, le boss said:

It seems my replies got joined. I was replying to Older about benefactors - every club has one. 

Clubs who pay players substantial sums of money need to have benefactors to foot the bill because some club committees refuse to work their socks off raising funds to give to people whose loyalty to a club is governed by how much they are willing to pay for them turning up to play.
It's not an unknown fact that when such clubs are short of money, more often than not they are also short of players, it's not rocket science as to why that happens.
Unfortunately the " I want " attitude is endemic throughout football from pofessional football down to grassroots.
Some but not all clubs are blessed with a strong backroom who are prepared to work for the clubs success, and long term are a more important part of the clubs future

4 hours ago, soccceroo said:

yeh right hahahahahaha 

The land is there...go and look at it...hahahahaha!

Sponsorship was used across the clubs teams to start and maintain the seasons, 4 teams in those days.

Kit, insurance, training gear...land and travelling expenses. 

Which is what it takes to put teams into competitive football. 

Same as what we do with any sponsorship we attract today.