Cornwall Football Forum

Hearing that st cleer after failing to make st piran league via ECPL are merging with liskeard to form a second team and enter to st piran league. Surely the league can’t allow that to happen, the facts are there to be seen. St cleer aren’t good enough to finish high enough in the ECPL to earn promotion and it would be the same team doing so using liskeard. Surely the status should be earned for that level. Utter madness to let that happen and equally so why would liskeard be allowed straight back in after folding the team this season. Very surprised at st cleer jumping ship from there own club/ground to go to liskeard also. Interested to hear st piran leagues view on this. 

I'd be surprised to see this happen... Unless this being done to help give game time to younger players with the prospect of playing for Liskeard I don't see how this beneficial to either club (Especially St Clear). However, we've already seen some players step up from St Cleer in the ECPL to Liskeard as things currently are. 

Maybe Mr. Colenzo can comment on these rumours? 

It'll be a shame for their pitch to only be used by their current reserve side in the Duchy leagues. 

1 minute ago, baldy said:

Don’t be surprised by anything when the farce of filling vacancies comes around.

Surely there's enough willing to make the step up from the ECPL without the need of St Cleer replacing Liskeard Reserves. I'm sure any of the top 3 teams will be gutted if they miss out on promotion whilst St Cleer are given this option. 

34 minutes ago, Goals Galore said:

I'd be surprised to see this happen... Unless this being done to help give game time to younger players with the prospect of playing for Liskeard I don't see how this beneficial to either club (Especially St Clear). However, we've already seen some players step up from St Cleer in the ECPL to Liskeard as things currently are. 

It'll be a shame for their pitch to only be used by their current reserve side in the Duchy leagues. 

If this rumour is correct,presumably St.Cleer by moving to Liskeard would be playing under the Town banner and have no association with the village side in the future?

42 minutes ago, Goals Galore said:

Why bother? Enjoying reading the stories from people who can’t give their names!😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Manon75 said:

Hearing that st cleer after failing to make st piran league via ECPL are merging with liskeard to form a second team and enter to st piran league. Surely the league can’t allow that to happen, the facts are there to be seen. St cleer aren’t good enough to finish high enough in the ECPL to earn promotion and it would be the same team doing so using liskeard. Surely the status should be earned for that level. Utter madness to let that happen and equally so why would liskeard be allowed straight back in after folding the team this season. Very surprised at st cleer jumping ship from there own club/ground to go to liskeard also. Interested to hear st piran leagues view on this. 

Welcome to the forum, just made up a name to post 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Just now, JonColenzo said:

Welcome to the forum, just made up a name to post 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Promotions and relegations decided before end of season🤔

2 minutes ago, Goals Galore said:

Do we know who's applied for promotion to the St Pirans? St Cleer may yet gain promotion on their own terms if some of the teams above them haven't applied or are illegible.  

I’m pretty sure it was St Minver, Gunni, Altarnun and St Cleer

And St Teath

So is it still the same as last summer? If there is a vacancy and the ground grading etc is ok, it seems the League is obliged to take the club because that's what the FA says!

Do the clubs that have earnt the right through being promoted rank above the clubs applying (ie Liskeard Reserves)?

How many teams can the league take anyway?

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

How many teams can the league take anyway?

Presumably this will be based on whether or not Bude will be promoted. St Piran East is already two short of the West.

Looks as though there will be no relegation back down to the ECPL, so currently 2 places available unless there's plans to expand these leagues beyond the 16.  

14 minutes ago, Goals Galore said:

Presumably this will be based on whether or not Bude will be promoted. St Piran East is already two short of the West.

Looks as though there will be no relegation back down to the ECPL, so currently 2 places available unless there's plans to expand these leagues beyond the 16.  

Yeah I agree, ultimately it’ll be down to where Bude finish and of course what the FA decide I think so probably 2 or 3 teams but we’ll wait and see.

In some sort of order:

Who, if anybody, gets relegated from the SWPL is in the hands of the FA Leagues Committee.  It's a little complicated and is worked out on a national basis.

One club can be promoted from St Piran East and only Bude have applied.

If Bude meet the ground grading criteria and finish in a promotion qualifying position they will be promoted.

If Bude go up and nobody is relegated from the SWPL into  St Piran East then that would create a vacancy.

Two teams can be promoted from the ECPL subject to meeting the ground grading criteria and finishing in a promotion qualifying position.

St Cleer, as I understand it, are essentially merging with Liskeard along similar lines as their youth set up.  Next season they will become Liskeard Reserves.  This does not give an automatic path back into St Piran.  If there is a vacancy then the non successful promotion candidates will be considered as applicants to fill it.  If St Cleer find themselves in that position then they, along with any others in a similar position, will be considered by Cornwall FA and the FA, with hopefully input from the League Management Committee, and a decision made on who, if anyone, will fill it.  If St Cleer were to be the successful club then they would simply change name to become Liskeard Reserves.  If not they would become Liskeard Reserves in the ECPL.

Nothing untoward or underhand and all in accordance with the current procedures.

15 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

In some sort order:

Who, if anybody, gets relegated from the SWPL is in the hands of the FA Leagues Committee.  It's a little complicated and is worked out on a national basis.

If Bude meet the ground grading criteria and finish in a promotion qualifying position they will be promoted.

If Bude go up and nobody is relegated from the SWPL into  St Piran East then that would create a vacancy.

Two teams can be promoted from the ECPL subject to meeting the ground grading criteria and finishing in a promotion qualifying position.

St Cleer, as I understand it, are essentially merging with Liskeard along similar lines as their youth set up.  Next season they will become Liskeard Reserves.  This does not give an automatic path back into St Piran.  If there is a vacancy then the non successful promotion candidates will be considered as applicants to fill it.  If St Cleer find themselves in that position then they, along with any others in a similar position, will be considered by Cornwall FA and the FA, with hopefully input from the League Management Committee, and a decision made on who, if anyone, will fill it.  If St Cleer were to be the successful club then they would simply change name to become Liskeard Reserves.  If not they would become Liskeard Reserves in the ECPL.

Nothing untoward or underhand and all in accordance with the current procedures.

Thank you Steve, very much appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

In some sort order:

So with all the above said Steve, how many teams ideally are you looking for to be in the division next season?

46 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

So with all the above said Steve, how many teams ideally are you looking for to be in the division next season?

Ideally 16 Dave.  Our minimum as a NLS Regional Feeder League is 14 per division and the maximum is 16 unless the majority have lights then we can go to 18 but that's very unlikely to happen.  With the two withdrawals there will be no relegation so if everything pans out as we hope it will there will be two promotions from the ECPL and potentially a vacancy to fill.

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

Steve,what about the St.Dennis situation?

This where it gets a bit complicated.  

The bottom three of each Step 6 division across the country are liable to be relegated and Porthleven, as they started the season, count as the bottom club.  There are a number of caveats around reprieves due to vacancies and the number of promotions from the feeder leagues and its unlikely that the third bottom clubs in the SWPL would be relegated.  

The second bottom clubs are then ranked on a points per game basis nationally and the FA will decide how many of those are to be relegated bearing in mind the caveats.  Last I checked St Dennis were at or very close to the bottom of that list (with a vested interest I have a spread sheet tracker - sad but true) and would be at risk of relegation.  

If they are relegated, and, as I say, there are other factors that the FA will take into account, then their reserves would be relegated to the ECPL.  Should that come about that would of course generate a vacancy if Bude were promoted.

All in the hands of the FA and all we can do is wait and see.

As I understand it this year (as an improvement on previous years) any promoted/accepted club has until the start of the new season to bring their facilities up to grade so none of the applicants should really fail as things stand…just a question of getting the changing rooms and toilets up to spec….. so in my view if Altarnun, Gunni and St Minver are all applicants and it seems they will all be the eventual top 3 able to go up from the ECPL (Torpoint unable to do so) then it would make absolute sense for them to fill the 2 promotion spots plus any vacancy rather than any newly-formed team. Their hard work and efforts on the pitch should be rewarded in the manner all football should recognise… simple promotion by right.

7 hours ago, countyman said:

As I understand it this year (as an improvement on previous years) any promoted/accepted club has until the start of the new season to bring their facilities up to grade so none of the applicants should really fail as things stand…just a question of getting the changing rooms and toilets up to spec….. so in my view if Altarnun, Gunni and St Minver are all applicants and it seems they will all be the eventual top 3 able to go up from the ECPL (Torpoint unable to do so) then it would make absolute sense for them to fill the 2 promotion spots plus any vacancy rather than any newly-formed team. Their hard work and efforts on the pitch should be rewarded in the manner all football should recognise… simple promotion by right.

The promotion candidates have until the week prior to the AGM to meet the ground grading requirements.  Dispensations are not allowed.  All of the clubs have some degree of work required and it would be fair to say that St Minver face a significant challenge but are looking at options.

If you are referring to 'Liskeard Reserves' as a newly formed team that would be incorrect.  It's a simple name change as the result of two clubs merging. 

On a technicality, there is no 'promotion by right' to NLS Regional Feeder Leagues.  Its by application and decided by league position and ground grading.