Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 8th September 2021

FALMOUTH  (1)  4

PENRYN  (0)  1

ATT  465

Bit of a no win, no lose, match for me tonight! With my boy playing for Penryn, a team and lads I’ve really enjoyed watching over the last few years  ❤️🖤against the club I fell in love with in the mid 70s at the age of 7 or 8 and had the best times of my career and life with! 💛🖤 No long winded report tonight! Matt was there, Deacs was there, plenty of reports, updates and footage to come no doubt from those top blokes! Great to see Nige and Ruth as I got out the car, Nige used to watch with my dad about 30/35 years ago when I was playing! How many Town games has Nige watched in his life!? Unbelievable loyalty and support. 👏🏼 Then saw chairman Graham and manager Westy as soon as I walked in the gate. Two guys that have done more than anyone to put Town firmly back on the map as one of Cornwall’s top teams again. Nice to have a photo with Donald next, who along with brother Jeff the General  have been instrumental in rebuilding the F Troop to what we see today! Was heart warming to see all the noise, atmosphere, and amber and black behind that Packet End goal. Men, woman, children and families and even an inflatable Beardy all having a great time. 465 on a foggy Wednesday night! How many south west non league teams in any league can match that!?! I’ll never forget driving through Holsworthy after we just won the league in 92? and seeing the big statue in the middle of the town wearing a Falmouth scarf!! 😂😂🏆👏🏼Most of the F Troop lads in my  playing days were the same age as us and liked to fuel up before and after the game! 😂👍 Still superb support mind!! Probably the place where I’ve had the best times of my life and favourite place in the world that clubhouse end! Brought back some memories of great times and peoples faces behind that goal who are no longer with us. Saw my old team mates Tommy and Mitchy, for a quick chat. Real honour playing in the Same team as Tom,what a centre half, what a bloke, a real Town legend and one of their own! I’ve got Amber & Black running through my veins but was adopted from Truro!!  How glad was I to be excepted from the old enemyI!! 💛🖤 Mitchy doing great work with the reserves in the St.Piran league with a 3 from 3 win rate start!! 👏🏼 So many other faces seen, Rob Riley one of Penryns greatest ever centre half’s there still supporting the club he excelled for, for so many years. My old mate from Truro Dennis Annear there watching his son Tom as well. Talking of all the great moments, Bickland was also the ground where I had my worst moment in my whole career breaking Dens leg in a 50/50 challenge with the rain lashing down that day in a top of the table Falmouth v Newquay clash. We skidded into each other and got taken to hospital in the same ambulance and the driver had the game live on Radio Cornwall!! Worst day of my career by far. 😢 Could go on really, was a lovely evening! Thought Penryn had spells where they more than held their own and created plenty of chances over the evening! Ryan Barnes in great form in the home goal making several fine saves. Think the Penryn boys can go into Saturdays home game with Sticker with plenty of confidence and their heads held high because I doubt they’ll play a better side all season. Town were full of running, sharpness, goals, all over the pitch, it was great as a supporter to see the side Westy has put together, really a pleasure to watch. Will leave the football details to Matts report but a really nice evening apart from the mist that made it difficult to see at times, particularly 1st half. Good game 👍👏🏼 By the way, thought the young ref did a great job on the whole 👌👏🏼

Simple for me, a game of chances taken and chances missed/saved.

On another day that could easily have been 4-4 

But falmouth played well and protected their goal well with a couple cleared off the line, a couple of excellent saves and one off the crossbar could have been oh so different. 

Clinical finishing decided the game.

Falmouth by far to the superior side IMO, Penryn had a few chances, one off the line which would've made it 1-1 in the first half. Other notable chances for Penryn was that Reeve had 2 one on ones saved by Barnes, should be taking at least one of those in these sorts of games. 

Town in control from start to finish, will absolute walk the league at this rate. The quality they have at their disposal is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Penryn producing virtually the same team they had in the St Pirans last year.... would usually be earmarked as a relegation candidate but absolutely no chance of that happening, they're better than a lot of teams in that league.

Is the St pirans good or the SWPL level a lot poorer than it has been???  a bit of both IMO

Cracking atmosphere on a damp evening, queueing outside the gate, even whilst the game had kicked off! proper football league atmosphere. 

Falmouth Town 4. Penryn Athletic 1.

An entertaining game in front of a very impressive crowd of nearly 500 paying customers.  However with the number of U-16s attending, who get in for nothing, it could have been much more. By the way, this is a great decision by Town as there seems to be lots of interest in the club now from this age group which can only be good for the future.  Not sure what other clubs do in this regard.

As the ever-wise "Older" stated above, the difference between the teams was the finishing.  Penryn probably having a similar amount of chances but not taking them due to not finishing, great defending and great goalkeeping from Town.

Penryn more than held their own in general play and if there are such statistics at this level, they would show that this was the closest game Town had played this season in that respect. Penryn had some very capable players in midfield and should outplay a few teams this season.

All that being said, you got the impression that if Town needed to, they could have upped their levels a bit more and done enough to win anyway.

Goals in order by Brabyn (pen), Broglino, Nixon and Brabyn again.   Could be an interesting competition this season between the likes of Wharton, Brabyn, Barner and Nixon to see who will score the most. 

Another important point was the strength in depth of the Town squad.  To be able to bring on the likes of Scotty Kellow, Andreas Stayne and Tim Nixon against a tiring side in the 2nd half must be a foreboding sight for opposing teams.

The game was handled well by the ref last night as well so well done to him.

Lmķ

32 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Falmouth Town 4. Penryn Athletic 1.

An entertaining game in front of a very impressive crowd of nearly 500 paying customers.  However with the number of U-16s attending, who get in for nothing, it could have been much more. By the way, this is a great decision by Towjkn as there seems tno be lots of interest in the club now from this age group which can only be good for the future.  Not sure what other clubs do in this regard.

As the ever-wise "Older" stated above, the difference between the teams was the finishing.  Penryn probably having a similar amount of chances but not taking them due to not finishing, great defending and great goalkeeping from Town.

Penryn more than held their own in general play and if there are such statistics at this level, they would show that this was the closest game Town had played this season in that respect. Penryn had some very capable players in midfield and should outplay a few teams this season.

All that being said, you got the impression that if Town needed to, they could have upped their levels a bit more and done enough to win anyway.

Goals in order by Brabyn (pen), Broglino, Nixon and Brabyn again.   Could be an interesting competition this smeason between the likes of Wharton, Brabyn, Barner and Nixon to see who will score the most. 

Another important point was the strength in depth of the Town squad.  To be able to bring on the likes of Scotty Kellow, Andreas Stayne and Tim Nixon against a tiring side in the 2nd half must be a foreboding sight for opposing teams.

The game was handled well by the ref last night as well so well done to him.