Cornwall Football Forum

Truro confirm it’s Parkway!

Truro City have issued this statement today :-

Truro City Football Club can today confirm that an agreement has been reached with JIL, the landowners of Treyew Road, for us to secure the section 106 monies in return for vacating our Treyew Road home.

This is a historic deal for the football club which will secure the clubs long term future within the city of Truro.

Plans are already underway to hopefully commence on a new multi-million-pound facility which is aimed to be completed in preparation for the start of the 2022/23 season.

In the meantime, the club has agreed a groundshare with Western League side Plymouth Parkway. The necessary works will be commencing there shortly to ensure that their Bolitho Park ground is brought up to the Southern League ground grading requirements.

Although this is a sad day to be leaving our home of so many years, we are confident this is the best way to secure the long-term future of Truro City Football Club.

We ask all our loyal supporters to stay with us through the short-term adjustments as we progress to our permanent home in Truro.

Hopefully talking to Gareth Davies  - Chief Sports Writer of the Truro Voice newspaper this morning who led with the story of Truro City leaving Treyew Road.

All being well will be on this Friday’s podcast episode.

Unfortunately the club declined the invitation to come on this week’s RAPPO & DEACS FRIDAY FIX CORNISH SOCCER podcast.

Does this mean that Cam Wheldon will not be appearing on this week's podcast?

Lots of questions thrown up by this, especially from the Truro side. Cannot see how the S4C will be ready for the start of the 2022/23 season, so I would assume that the two outcomes will either be an extended ground share with Parkway or moving in to the Mennaye Field with the Pirates for the short to medium term.

At first glance, Parkway look like winners in this. Not privvy to the financial package, but it looks like quite an upgrade to the Bolitho Park facilities and playing surface. The ground was going to be upgraded anyway in line with Parkway's pyramid ambitions, but this will have brought this forward several years. The pitch as well would need the additional renewal and renovation work carried out on it if it was going to able to support a minimum of a further 19 home matches.

The great unknown is how many Truro fans will make the 2 hour drive up to Plymouth for home matches (although I expect Southern League teams won't mind losing midweek trips into deepest Cornwall, and the mostly Plymouth based squad will enjoy shorter trips for home matches), the memories of a deserted Plainmoor must still linger with the club. It could though be a litmus test for the appetite for step 3 football amongst Plymouth folk, especially if the gate prices are set at a higher Southern League level. At the very least though, it will be a good alternative for Parkway fans who are unable to travel to away matches. Hopefully an arrangement can be reached where Parkway season ticket holders get preferential admission prices.

6 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Does this mean that Cam Wheldon will not be appearing on this week's podcast?

Yeah Cam on as usual.

7 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hopefully an arrangement can be reached where Parkway season ticket holders get preferential admission prices.

Why? I seem to recall the same incentive for Torquay supporters didn’t go down very well with travelling Truro crowd last time!

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yeah Cam on as usual.

Why? I seem to recall the same incentive for Torquay supporters didn’t go down very well with travelling Truro crowd last time!

At the risk of seeming negative, it would help in getting people into the ground for Truro home matches.

As before, no idea of the financial arrangements, but wonder what the deal is regarding the takings from food and drink sales. Would assume that Truro would get the gate receipts and any revenues from raffles or lottery conducted on the day.

7 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

At the risk of seeming negative, it would help in getting people into the ground for Truro home matches.

As before, no idea of the financial arrangements, but wonder what the deal is regarding the takings from food and drink sales. Would assume that Truro would get the gate receipts and any revenues from raffles or lottery conducted on the day.

Looking like Truro helping to fund parkways ground development to make it up to scratch for southern league . Seems good move by parkway on that respect 

9 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Lots of questions thrown up by this, especially from the Truro side. Cannot see how the S4C will be ready for the start of the 2022/23 season, so I would assume that the two outcomes will either be an extended ground share with Parkway or moving in to the Mennaye Field with the Pirates for the short to medium term.

My father bought Truro Voice today, and from what I've read, Truro's new facility at Langarth will be separate to the S4C. Plus, the football club has a separate fund. Which is probably why the S4C has had to make minor adjustments to the stadium plans (i.e. make the rugby portion of the stadium smaller).

I just hope we haven't "cut off our nose to spite our face", and it all goes "breasts up". Although I expect quite a few people would love to see that happen.

I’d be slightly concerned if I were Parkway that the likes of River Allen, Billy Paulfrey and a host of talented players aren’t asked to dual sign for Truro (not sure on the rule) and Parkway loose some talent to their higher league tenants. Some of the Parkway squad are very capable of performing in Southern League, the Plymouth based players would no longer have the hassle of having to travel to Truro so maybe fancying a step up? 

Just my opinion.

But ground improvement wise, a good move by Parkway.

1 hour ago, JonColenzo said:

I’d be slightly concerned if I were Parkway that the likes of River Allen, Billy Paulfrey and a host of talented players aren’t asked to dual sign for Truro (not sure on the rule) and Parkway loose some talent to their higher league tenants. Some of the Parkway squad are very capable of performing in Southern League, the Plymouth based players would no longer have the hassle of having to travel to Truro so maybe fancying a step up? 

Just my opinion.

But ground improvement wise, a good move by Parkway.

Losing players to Truro for the very reasons you have outlined, has been mentioned in some Parkway supporting circles.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Losing players to Truro for the very reasons you have outlined, has been mentioned in some Parkway supporting circles.

Will certainly test player loyalty that’s for sure! Let’s hope it works out for both clubs. Does this mean the Argyle youngsters wont be using Stadio Bolitho anymore?

47 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

Will certainly test player loyalty that’s for sure! Let’s hope it works out for both clubs. Does this mean the Argyle youngsters wont be using Stadio Bolitho anymore?

No word on this from the club, I know that this was part of the strategic Argyle-Parkway partnership.