Cornwall Football Forum

parkway expectations

considering the budget being spent at the club i have to ask wot is success this year ? another year of buying the league after they basicly did this year until the virus ... does the style of football mater to any1 or is it win at all costs ? personaly i think hobbs out if he cant win the league in style this year !! i get that they have sum flair players who are nice to watch but i cudnt tell u wot style there going for. give him 6 games and if it aint maximum points with fluid footy get the lad OUT !!! all the best for the year , hope theres something exciting to watch and not just the purse strings doin the talking

It will be winning the league. Nothing else. Not sure they are too bothered on style of football. The club need the next step up now hence the money spent on experienced players. His biggest issue is keeping them all happy. Big egos won’t be signing to sit on the bench on a cold wet midweek game miles away. 

31 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Not so sure Bradford Town would agree that Parkway would have finished champions!

ayy come on son , you know what the parkway lot are like. any doubt of promotion and i wudnt of been surprised if they paid the refs on the sly lol 

1 minute ago, sportsman10 said:

It will be winning the league. Nothing else. Not sure they are too bothered on style of football. The club need the next step up now hence the money spent on experienced players. His biggest issue is keeping them all happy. Big egos won’t be signing to sit on the bench on a cold wet midweek game miles away. 

good fair point sportsman and well said ! progression is most important , be interesting to see if the lads not getting gd minutes stick it out or not

45 minutes ago, swilly bingrove said:

3 games extra played werent it bud ? if parkway arent up this year its huge failure , which would make the transfers out this yr look even more weird !

We'll never know how the Western League title race would have panned out Mr Bingrove, but given the level of fixture pile up that most clubs faced (Parkway had 17 league games in to play in something like 6 weeks when they league was halted) points on the board could have been an advantage over games in hand. But, as I said, we'll never know.

Given the strength of playing squad assembled and the ambitions of the club in general, don't think promotion would be enough. Lee Hobbs is already on record as saying that he will be expected to deliver the league title next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Would say with the players they have assembled already and the money attached to those players, winning every trophy they compete in (plus a relatively good run in both the FA Vase & FA Cup) would be a bare minimum that the board would expect.

Having said that, with Tavistock appointing Paul Stapleton as Chairman and with the calibre of players they are touted to be signing/bringing to the club (say that very lightly), my guess is that Parkway would have to go up another gear to compete with them. 

Its going to be a very interesting Western League this season and you can never right Bradford or Exmouth of either. I know what game I will attending on Boxing Day that's for sure.

Good luck to all teams this year.

58 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

it would have been more interesting if Saltash had been promoted to the WL  but for the Covid  interruption

Not forgetting Helston. I am sure Steve Massey would not have been happy with just making up the numbers, he would have wanted them to be in amongst the competing teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Parkway will struggle without all the goals Adam Carter scored for them big mistake letting him go how can they replace a player of his Calibre and goals same  goes for Saltash in the Kitchen Premier League how can they replace Ryan Richards goals they cant but Dane BUNNEY will do a good job i always thought he was underated because it was always Matt Cusacks team , now is your chance Dane to show the doubters they are wrong

5 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Parkway will struggle without all the goals Adam Carter scored for them big mistake letting him go how can they replace a player of his Calibre and goals same  goes for Saltash in the Kitchen Premier League how can they replace Ryan Richards goals they cant but Dane BUNNEY will do a good job i always thought he was underated because it was always Matt Cusacks team , now is your chance Dane to show the doubters they are wrong

Agree, taking Adam Carter's goals out of the team could be a big loss, but hopefully they will be spread out amongst the squad a bit more next season. Would think that Matt Wright, Mikey Williams and Ryan Richards would be good for 20+ each (assuming they stay injury free) and then expect others such as Shane Krac and Billy Palfrey will chip in with a few more.

None of those players will get the amount of goals Adam Carter saw Matt  Wright playing for Truro many years ago but he had a good player alongside him then in Newquays own Isaac Vassel  Ryan RICHARDS may struggle as well he will be up against bigger nastier and uglier defenders in a higher league Mikey Williams very good player and Shane KRAC hard player guaranteed to give 100%Commitment and severel yellow cards and some red as well but a real leader

34 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not sure there is much point in publicising these matches as spectators cannot be admitted, and it also might encourage people to turn up. They will effectively be training sessions behind closed doors.

Both st blazey and and other clubs quite openly advertising games where I have seen people say they are turning up. 

29 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Both st blazey and and other clubs quite openly advertising games where I have seen people say they are turning up. 

Reading the FA guidelines, and also from other forum posts over on the Peninsula League section, my understanding is that spectators are not permitted at pre-season games involving clubs at steps 1-6. Whether letting in non paying spectators is a loophole some clubs will exploit is another debate, and also if there is the possibility of FA sanctions against clubs that ignore guidance. Little clubs could do though if people looked over the fence.

So thats my plans out the window then was going to Blazey to see them vs Plymouth Parkway and to ST austell to see them play Helston YOUTH whats the point of having Pre season friendlies if noone can watch them its all a  bloody joke there wont be big crowds there anyway was lookinf forward to getting out fed up with looking at 4 bloody walls .Someone needs to give a proper answer can spectators go or not,there is 1000s of holiday makers here in Newquay and most of them arent social distanting ,i know us fans can find somewhere where we dont have to be near anyone at a ground i have my usual spots where ever   i go .Will be really dissapointed if cant get to games Newquay got a big game coming up August 29th vs Nuneaton Boro and they are bringing down a  good size crowd of spectators whose going to tell them they cant get in It says you are highly unlikely to catch the corona Virus outside we could all wear masks anyway

10 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

So thats my plans out the window then was going to Blazey to see them vs Plymouth Parkway and to ST austell to see them play Helston YOUTH whats the point of having Pre season friendlies if noone can watch them its all a  bloody joke there wont be big crowds there anyway was lookinf forward to getting out fed up with looking at 4 bloody walls .Someone needs to give a proper answer can spectators go or not,there is 1000s of holiday makers here in Newquay and most of them arent social distanting ,i know us fans can find somewhere where we dont have to be near anyone at a ground i have my usual spots where ever   i go .Will be really dissapointed if cant get to games Newquay got a big game coming up August 29th vs Nuneaton Boro and they are bringing down a  good size crowd of spectators whose going to tell them they cant get in It says you are highly unlikely to catch the corona Virus outside we could all wear masks anyway

Would have thought the blazey v parkway game would have drawn a huge crowd. Might still do as loads lads from Plymouth will go down to watch thier mates. Who going to refuse them entry ? Also blazey could make a ton of money. 

Parkway and blazey 1-1. 

Excellent result for blazey away from home even in a pre season. Anyone know the line ups ?

Does this mean blazey are looking more of a quality team this season then people thought and may be a surprise or parkway with a lot more  work to do to get the new lads playing as a team.  

Really enjoyed last night. Both teams gave it everything. A really good game to watch. Parkway finished the stronger but several excellent saves earned St Blazey a very good draw. The bar has been set!!

Parkways ground looking really good. Tarmaced areas look very smart. Certainly a club that improves every season. 

On 05/08/2020 at 08:14, sportsman10 said:

Parkway and blazey 1-1. 

Excellent result for blazey away from home even in a pre season. Anyone know the line ups ?

Does this mean blazey are looking more of a quality team this season then people thought and may be a surprise or parkway with a lot more  work to do to get the new lads playing as a team.  

Probably a bit of both. Blazey's new keeper, Jordan Duffey, certainly impressed the Parkway supporters with a string of saves in the second half as they came under sustained pressure from the home side. Lee Hobbs' outfit will need time to bed the new signings in and get used to the new coaching staff of Matt Cusack and Matt Godfree, but that's what these matches are about. Only four players from last season's Parkway team started, key players in Rob Farkins,Shane Krac and Matt Wright didn't appear.

• 2 weeks later...

River Allen is a huge signing for Parkway, he's arguably a Conference South level player. A big squad will be needed as the fixtures will come thick and fast once the delayed season starts, but even so it looks to like you now have Steve Colwell, Billy Palfrey, River Allen ,Mikey Williams and Shane Krac competing for the midfield places in the 5-3-2 formation they've played in both pre season games so far.

Shane Krac is best mates with the Manager so he'll be odds on to start and River Allen is on more money than most teams budgets in that league so he'll be also odds on to start.

That aside, both players named above are class acts and proven so quite rightly deserve their starting place and to be honest, both would probably start in most teams that play in league above and maybe in the league above that again.

Think you'll know more about who will be squad players within the first few weeks into the new season and no doubt some will leave, that's normally the case.

Not sure Matt Wright is a 30+ goal man and Richards is untested at this level, letting Carter go could be a mistake. 

On 14/08/2020 at 23:04, Way Of The Park said:

River Allen is a huge signing for Parkway, he's arguably a Conference South level player. A big squad will be needed as the fixtures will come thick and fast once the delayed season starts, but even so it looks to like you now have Steve Colwell, Billy Palfrey, River Allen ,Mikey Williams and Shane Krac competing for the midfield places in the 5-3-2 formation they've played in both pre season games so far.

That's a very good signing.  I watched Tiverton twice last season, and River Allen was the best player on the pitch both times.  He was too good for Step Three, he'll be waaaay too good for Step Five!