Cornwall Football Forum

I have sent an email to all referees and Club Secretaries today asking them not to carry out the (usually mandatory) pre-match handshake.

I had two calls yesterday from club reps who feel they didn't want to partake in handshakes (and another one just asking for guidance). Because of all the media scaremongering, we all have to be respectful of their wishes.

Having read the guidance from the FA and NHS etc, guidelines should be as follows:

* Pre match handshake is to be skipped

* If someone doesn't want to shake hands, don't make a big deal out of it (respect their wishes)

* Adopt basic hygiene techniques (wash hands etc)

* Avoid unnecessary contact (over celebrating etc).

My personal opinion is that it's all being blown out of proportion, however we have to respect the wishes of others. The Premier League, EFL etc have adopted the same stance so we've basically followed suit. 

The following was sent to all club secretaries earlier this week and gives the FA's stance.  We have not issued a League Policy on this and trust the good sense of all involved on match day to take a proportional and sensible view on what they may or may not be comfortable in doing.  Nobody is going to insist on any participant doing something they are not comfortable with in relation to this disease.

4 March 2020 
To: All National League System Leagues 

Coronavirus update  

A number of National League System Leagues have contacted The FA to seek guidance on the pre/postmatch handshakes in order to control the potential spread of Coronavirus.  

The FA is following Government advice which at the time of writing, does not offer any advice to say that we should not be shaking hands, but highlights and emphasises the need for good hand hygiene at all times. 

However, if teams feel happier not to shake hands (or to try an alternative method like fist bumping) then that is absolutely their choice and Leagues are encouraged to be understanding of teams making this choice. Should teams decide not to shake hands or opt for an alternative method this must be conveyed to the match referee before the teams enter the field of play. 

Alternatively, a League may choose to issue a policy to remove the procedural pre/post-match handshake, but this would be solely at the discretion of the League. 

The FA is actively monitoring and adopting Government advice, and as a matter of good practice would recommend that Leagues and Clubs adopt the same approach. 

Please feel free to share this guidance with your member clubs. 

Laurence Jones

Head of National League System

On 07/03/2020 at 08:11, Dave Bartlam said:

I have sent an email to all referees and Club Secretaries today asking them not to carry out the (usually mandatory) pre-match handshake.

I had two calls yesterday from club reps who feel they didn't want to partake in handshakes (and another one just asking for guidance). Because of all the media scaremongering, we all have to be respectful of their wishes.

Having read the guidance from the FA and NHS etc, guidelines should be as follows:

* Pre match handshake is to be skipped

* If someone doesn't want to shake hands, don't make a big deal out of it (respect their wishes)

* Adopt basic hygiene techniques (wash hands etc)

* Avoid unnecessary contact (over celebrating etc).

My personal opinion is that it's all being blown out of proportion, however we have to respect the wishes of others. The Premier League, EFL etc have adopted the same stance so we've basically followed suit. 

Yes, CORVID-19 is unlikely to have any long term effects on a bunch of fit young footballers, however if they take it back to their parents, grandparents and workmates they may well be the instigator of serious illness or even death!

So let’s follow the protocols to the letter please, you’re not just a footballer but also a member of the wider community.

58 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Yes, CORVID-19 is unlikely to have any long term effects on a bunch of fit young footballers, however if they take it back to their parents, grandparents and workmates they may well be the instigator of serious illness or even death!

So let’s follow the protocols to the letter please, you’re not just a footballer but also a member of the wider community.

Our referee for the combination game yesterday had just come back from Italy the day before!!!

Go figure that one!

This virus will be with us forever now, just like the flu. All these precautions like closing down events, self isolating will not work it will only slow it's progress. All of us will catch it in the end.

Last year 1,692 people died of the flu and we'll have the same number each year for this virus.

The media have really hyped it up, gives them headlines for you to read, watch or listen too.

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Did anyone shake hands afterwards?

My game had after game handshakes, even though we skipped the pre-game version. 

We clearly opted for the safer shake after we had sweat and rolled about in the mud, for the first time this season if you believe Andys 😉.

2 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

This virus will be with us forever now, just like the flu. All these precautions like closing down events, self isolating will not work it will only slow it's progress. All of us will catch it in the end.

Last year 1,692 people died of the flu and we'll have the same number each year for this virus.

The media have really hyped it up, gives them headlines for you to read, watch or listen too.

It is worrying when the more respected members of the forum come out as coronavirus deniers.

I am no apologist for the government or the red top media (both of which I loathe), just a simple Health Care Professional who can tell the difference between scare mongering and a pandemic. As I’ve said before on this forum; young fit players will suffer little more than a bad cold if they catch it, their elderly relatives, bloke sitting next to them in the bar, or next person to use their discarded supermarket trolley could end up with a death sentence, just because they couldn’t follow simple hygiene rules.

Usually I can inject a little bit of humour into my posts. Regrettably THIS IS NOT FUNNY.

Taking in to account all the bodily contact during a match, especially in rugby matches, the lack of a prematch handshake seems of little consequence in the greater scheme of things.
The handling of newspapers, money notes and coins, supermarket trollys, posted letters and bills, are all potential carriers of the virus, not many of which can we avoid for any length of time.