Cornwall Football Forum

Saturday 15 February 2020

Please use this thread to post any factual, accurate news on fixtures. 

As at 19:52 Friday

EAST DIVISION

AFC St Austell Reserves       P-P            Bude Town

Callington Town Reserves  P-P            Wadebridge Town Reserves

Lanreath                                    P-P         St Dennis Reserves

Liskeard Athletic Reserves P-P            Saltash United Reserves

Morwenstow                           P-P            Sticker Reserves

Polperro                                     P-P            Millbrook Reserves

Saltash Borough                      P-P            Torpoint Athletic Reserves

WEST DIVISION

Falmouth Town Reserves   P-P            Mullion

Helston Athletic Reserves  P-P        St Agnes

Penryn Athletic                        P-P            Redruth United

Perranporth                             P-P          St Ives Town

Perranwell                                P-P            Mousehole Reserves

St Day                                         P-P          Hayle

I have just advised all club secretary's that for this weekend the Severe Weather Protocol has been invoked.  As such I am happy for this weekend’s matches to be called off early without the need for a referee’s pitch inspection provided that the pitch is checked by a responsible Club Official in accordance with League Standing Order 5.   Where there is clearly no chance of play tomorrow I will accept postponements from now - 16:40 Friday.  Where there is a possibility of play clubs have been asked to wait until tomorrow morning before making a decision to give their games, where possible, the best chance of being played though, given the forecast wind as well, that's probably more of hope triumphing over realism.

Well done Steve, seems common sense. Been lugging stuff from the garage to the storage unit all afternoon and absolutely wet through and freezing!! And I usually like to be cold! It was horrible, did think a few times about the footballers meant to be playing tomorrow!! The wind is a joke anyway, nothing ruins a game more! Much rather see a nice midweek game in April 👍

4 hours ago, Andys said:

image.thumb.jpeg.34114d0f6eceffe734446e115f628927.jpegsafe to say we're off at the Well!

If that was  The most westerly pitch when an experienced referree  called  the  game off at 4 pm on Friday  because there was no way  it would have been playable  and the home teams manager whinged  to County FA who agreed  to  a second  inspection next day.  Guess what,  the second inspection confirmed  the pitch wasn't  playable.  Nice to see County  FA knowing better  than the  person  on the spot. 😀

All games now off.

8 hours ago, Clubman said:

If that was  The most westerly pitch when an experienced referree  called  the  game off at 4 pm on Friday  because there was no way  it would have been playable  and the home teams manager whinged  to County FA who agreed  to  a second  inspection next day.  Guess what,  the second inspection confirmed  the pitch wasn't  playable.  Nice to see County  FA knowing better  than the  person  on the spot. 😀

If this happened in St Piran then:

1.  I wasn't aware of it and should have been.

2.  Any communication is to come from the club secretary or the designated team secretary NOT the team manager.

3.  As postponements are a league matter if there is a disagreement the first point of contact is me not the CCFA.  If deemed necessary I would then arrange a second inspection with the relevant parties.

3 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

All games now off.

If this happened in St Piran then:

1.  I wasn't aware of it and should have been.

2.  Any communication is to come from the club secretary or the designated team secretary NOT the team manager.

3.  As postponements are a league matter if there is a disagreement the first point of contact is me not the CCFA.  If deemed necessary I would then arrange a second inspection with the relevant parties.

This was posted in November originally  concerning  a Trelawny League game. Someone has seen fit to quote it on St Piran forum. 

3 hours ago, Clubman said:

This was posted in November originally  concerning  a Trelawny League game. Someone has seen fit to quote it on St Piran forum. 

Anybody think it was the wrong decision to pull all today's matches, madness to be playing football in this.............................?

On 15/02/2020 at 17:16, Andys said:

Anybody think it was the wrong decision to pull all today's matches, madness to be playing football in this.............................?

Totally the correct decision. 

A serious injury or accident going too or returning from a game, then there would have been uproar. 

Just exceptional conditions beyond the control of anyone. 

Never seen anything like this in 50 years of football...and it is only football not life or death.

On 15/02/2020 at 17:16, Andys said:

Just to be clear, the games weren't 'pulled'.  They all fell following inspections carried out under the weather protocol with St Day's being the last one to succumb.  At that point I posted the 'all games off' comment.

Total common sense applied, saturated at the moment, had 9 holes bout a month ago and it was sodden, above your golf shoes in places! Trousers were lagged in mud and the rain we’ve had since then has been unreal!! Just listen to experts like Bakes who knows when a pitch is fit to play on!! Steve has ran leagues pretty well for years so it’s in good hands! Just had a thought about the teams with lights and the home games they’ve got left, might be worth resting the pitches now for another week or so then get some midweek games in utilising the clubs with floodlights in March/April when the surfaces have recovered somewhat!? Still be done by the end of April would have thought if the clubs with lights pencilled in a game a week or fortnight. Just a little list of St.Piran league clubs with lights and the home games they got left to play.

EAST

St.Austell.....4

Launceston..6

Saltash Utd..6

Saltash Boro.3

Torpoint........7

Millbrook.....8

Sticker..........6

Liskeard........8

Callington.....9

Wadebridge..7

WEST

Penryn........4

Falmouth....4

Hayle..........2

Helston......3

Wendron....8

Mousehole..8

3 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Just to be clear, the games weren't 'pulled'.  They all fell following inspections carried out under the weather protocol with St Day's being the last one to succumb.  At that point I posted the 'all games off' comment.

Poor phrase Steve, apologies, definitely the right decision given the extraordinary conditions. With the further rain this week and forecast to the weekend, will the severe weather protocol apply again this week? Had a look at our pitch earlier and it was more suitable to plant rice in than play football!

2 hours ago, Andys said:

Poor phrase Steve, apologies, definitely the right decision given the extraordinary conditions. With the further rain this week and forecast to the weekend, will the severe weather protocol apply again this week? Had a look at our pitch earlier and it was more suitable to plant rice in than play football!

No problem Andy.  Time and the weather will tell for this weekend but a degree of common sense also has to apply.  We're getting boxed in now in the East where I'm already having to put games in for May. It's better in the West but Hayle and Penryn have to finish by the 9th May regardless of any extension we may get from the FA which will, if granted, only be 'a few days'.   Nomatter what deadline the FA may insist on not even they can stop the rain and certain realities come with that fact.

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Just had a thought about the teams with lights and the home games they’ve got left, might be worth resting the pitches now for another week or so then get some midweek games in utilising the clubs with floodlights in March/April when the surfaces have recovered somewhat!?

Where do the Reserve sides fit into your plans Rappo?

28 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Plenty of days in the week Deacs, as long as the pitches are playable, unlike at the minute, shouldn’t be a problem. Most of the East teams are reserve sides, 1st team play Tuesday night, reserves Wednesday night for example? 

Phil is looking to use Monday's and Wednesday's and I'll be using Tuesday's and Thursday's.  Or at least that's the plan. One of the problems though is that we share clubs where both the firsts and reserves are in the same boat - no pun intended!

39 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

No problem Andy.  Time and the weather will tell for this weekend but a degree of common sense also has to apply.  We're getting boxed in now in the East where I'm already having to put games in for May. It's better in the West but Hayle and Penryn have to finish by the 9th May regardless of any extension we may get from the FA which will, if granted, only be 'a few days'.   Nomatter what deadline the FA may insist on not even they can stop the rain and certain realities come with that fact.

The reality is...no-one can beat the weather! 

Force one game on and potentially lose the the next one, two, or sometimes three.

Also severe damage can run into a couple of thousand to put right at the end of the season - who pays for that(?)

Exactly.

14 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

How about the pitch at St. Blazey surely that is out of bounds for the season.

A few years ago when Prince Charles came down following the St Blazey floods it was far worse/deeper, with ducks swimming around on it. The first team played on it less than a week later and despite the groundsman’s concerns it hardly cut up at all.🦆 

Of course may well be different this year depending on the ongoing weather situation.