Cornwall Football Forum

Tornado whips up a storm in Porthleven, but Liskeard hold on...

A big Saturday in the Penisular West saw Liskeard hang on to top spot of the slippery promotion pole as Lyle Johnson grabbed a last minute equaliser at home against Mousehole. Second place Porthleven had a thumping 8-2 home win over Bere Alston with new signing Tornado Bello, in the absence of leading score Matt Drumond, playing up through the middle and hitting four goals on his debut. As the Porthleven players left the pitch the word around the terraces from those on Twitterworld was that Mousehole had beaten Liskeard 1-0 and the Fishermens wIn would take them back to the top of the league. That news was fans jumping the gun by literally seconds because by the time the players reached the edge of the pitch the update and correct final score came through the ether with Liskeard scoring in the 89th minute meaning Liskeard had held on to top spot AND to their undefeated league status. Well done Liskeard and unlucky Mousehole. Mousehole apparently had dominated possession and scored first through Paulo Sousa only for Liskeard who had been dangerous on the break, to earn what was twittered as "a draw probably being the right result." A frantic end to end finish saw both Liskeard and Mousehole both have a further chance to win the game.

Down West, after banging in 8 goals it's hard to be critical of Porthleven's rampant high scoring win but whilst 8-2 is emphatic it was not overall as convincing as the score suggests. From the first minute, 1-0 , third minute 2-0 the result was never ever in doubt, but once again with more key players unavailable there were periods where although relatively untroubled by a hard working Bere Alston, Porthleven could have done with someone to bark out orders and kick a few backsides when the tempo dropped  or passes were not crisp, accurate or sharp enough. I think the team done well, but they could have done even better.  

With the arrival of Tornado, and when the injured/unavailable  players return, Porhleven now appear to have good cover for all positions with the possible exception of centre back. If a strong, influential leader could be found to sign and play there then I believe Porthleven could continue and reinforce their own great start and  go REALLY close to the top of the league come May and more importantly continue to chase down that promotion to the Peninsular Premiership.

A BIG plus for Porthleven on Saturday was the return of the first of the long term injured in defender Chris Wormington who came on for the last ten minutes. Everything seems to be moving in the right direction for the Fishermen.  Wel done Porthleven players and their management, 

It's warming up into a terrific title race in the Peninsula West and it's great to watch and enjoy at both ends of the county...Roll on Saturday.

No disrespect but I think both Mousehole & Liskeard will also both also beat Bere Alston at home! They haven't been pulling up any tree's & are near the bottom,  I think most side's will beat Bere Alston, (however, playing them away could be slightly different)

It's certainly going to be tight at the top, & with only one winner nobody remember's the team's 2nd/3rd. 

Porthleven because of their geographic location will always have to pay slightly more to get player's there, as the better one's are at Helston & Falmouth, so if Tornado can hit the net every week you might argue it was a shrewd signing & worth every penny of his £55 travelling expenses. Porthleven certainly got the budget it seems to push all the way. 

Liskeard ( not because they are my second favourite side ) are still my tip, with the best player in the Division by a country mile in their ranks they will just edge it I reckon. 

If the above and Twitter is correct and Tom Annear has or is signing then that could be a great bit of work by Alan Carey and Kevin Richards and shows how committed they both are to Porthleven's progression. Hard to believe Falmouth would let such a quality player out of their grasp. 

An Attacker, Tornado Bello and now Tom Annear (?) will give more strength to the side down the spine and great cover across the back or holding midfield. If it's correct good luck to Tom who rarely put a foot wrong when playing for Falmouth and would be a massive asset to Porthleven''s promotion bid. GOOD PLAYER..

1 hour ago, yeww said:

Confirmed. Falmouths loss is Ports gain, can play in a number of positions on the pitch. only a squad player in recent months at Falmouth 

Disappointed to read this as Tom is a key utility  player to any club-a good strong player who can adapt to most positions including gpal keeper.

IN his 2 1/2 seasons at Bickland Park Tom was 3 short of his century appearances and scored 8 goals.

17 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

What’s a fingure , certainly got none of them. 🤣😂🤣😂👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🍺❤️

I can can certainly spell the names of the clubs I’ve managed. Lol

🎣🎣 Kevin! Your old enough to know better than to nibble nibble !! 🎣🎣

Might need an A4 sheet of Paper though Kevin! 👍😉

You'll be telling us next Tornado Bellow has family links to Porthleven & doesn't get a penny ! 😂

Hope your your Well m8

27 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

🎣🎣 Kevin! Your old enough to know better than to nibble nibble !! 🎣🎣

Might need an A4 sheet of Paper though Kevin! 👍😉

You'll be telling us next Tornado Bellow has family links to Porthleven & doesn't get a penny ! 😂

Hope your your Well m8

how did you know he was related to the Porthleven secretary??

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

Disappointed to read this as Tom is a key utility  player to any club-a good strong player who can adapt to most positions including gpal keeper.

IN his 2 1/2 seasons at Bickland Park Tom was 3 short of his century appearances and scored 8 goals.

This is indeed disappointing but understandable from Tom's perspective.  He is far too good a player to be sitting on the bench most weeks as has been the case lately. Porthleven have a bagged an excellent player there so good luck to them and Tom in the future.

It's a difficult one for Town at the moment as they have a strong squad where all the players deserve to play. On Saturday they had 6 players out and still managed to progress in the league cup.  Hopefully Westy will be able to bring someone in to replace him. (Joe Cooper's brother from Helston perhaps who himself was on the bench for their last game!?)

5 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Porthleven because of their geographic location will always have to pay slightly more to get player's there, as the better one's are at Helston & Falmouth, so if Tornado can hit the net every week you might argue it was a shrewd signing & worth every penny of his £55 travelling expenses. Porthleven certainly got the budget it seems to push all the way. 

Oh yes because Kevin Nicholson and the rest are with Mousehole for the love off the club! And their location means they can attract all these players with the offer of free flights into Paul Airport.

8 minutes ago, footienut said:

Oh yes because Kevin Nicholson and the rest are with Mousehole for the love off the club! And their location means they can attract all these players with the offer of free flights into Paul Airport.

Kevin Richards ( ex Mousehole manager) has already stated that Mousehole don't pay player's. Heard it from the horse's mouth. 

18 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Kevin Richards ( ex Mousehole manager) has already stated that Mousehole don't pay player's. Heard it from the horse's mouth. 

Ha ha! Wake up and smell the roses! I think you will find Kevin was there last year. No relevance to what's going on now. Kevin was using mainly local(ish) players.

45 minutes ago, cornishlegend said:

You always bite. How long until you pack it in down port??

Bit harsh 'cornishlegend' ! I think Kevin is possibly slightly to eager & easy for a bite, HOWEVER I think having seen him on the circuit for ( probably more years than we like to admit to!! ) I think he is a good manager, certainly better than some clubs have at the helm around at the moment. Always enthusiastic, & is possibly waiting for his opportunity Again at Porthleven when Alan decides to call it a day. What does suprise me is with Kevin's local knowledge & players why a sleeping giant like St.Blazey or Penzance have not contacted him to try & turn their fortunes around, both clubs struggling & with Kevin's enthusiasm, plus all three sides probably playing in the same Division next season it would certainly be a challenge for him, & after his previous experiences I would say a great chance to get back in the proper Hotseat at a big club. He would certainly do better than the current set up at either club at present. Only my thoughts.

25 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Bit harsh 'cornishlegend' ! I think Kevin is possibly slightly to eager & easy for a bite, HOWEVER I think having seen him on the circuit for ( probably more years than we like to admit to!! ) I think he is a good manager, certainly better than some clubs have at the helm around at the moment. Always enthusiastic, & is possibly waiting for his opportunity Again at Porthleven when Alan decides to call it a day. What does suprise me is with Kevin's local knowledge & players why a sleeping giant like St.Blazey or Penzance have not contacted him to try & turn their fortunes around, both clubs struggling & with Kevin's enthusiasm, plus all three sides probably playing in the same Division next season it would certainly be a challenge for him, & after his previous experiences I would say a great chance to get back in the proper Hotseat at a big club. He would certainly do better than the current set up at either club at present. Only my thoughts.

to be fair Leeds, I think you'd do a better job at either of those clubs than the current management. You at the helm, maybe Big Al as assistant?

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

I agree he's a decent manager but never sticks around long enough to show it. I remember many years ago playing for him for combo select him and Steve curnow. 2 of the most underrated managers in Cornwall. 

I just like getting the bites from him. He loves chomping on my bait 😂😂😂

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

to be fair Leeds, I think you'd do a better job at either of those clubs than the current management. You at the helm, maybe Big Al as assistant?

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

What a great idea!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Tom joined his brother Jordan in the Plymouth Parkway  team last night in The Western League Cup tie at Wells City

Think he was probably covering for a few unavailable players last night, but a decent player to be able to call on. Naturally left footed players who can play in a few positions are always very handy.