Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David187

Players giving something back to the game

Recommended Posts

Was chatting to a friend at the weekend over a tipple or two and had quite a concerned discussion about Club Volounteers (or the lack of), he is the Secretary at a club at present and said that at their Agm they had numerous people step down due to age etc etc but nobody willing to join and help in the running of the Club, i know times have changed but back when i played if you came to the end of your playing days you gave a little bit back wether being helping behind the bar, working on the ground etc etc, it is worrying when you see clubs folding and the ever growing lack of willing Volounteers wanting to get involved and help out in any form, he also told me that they had a new member of their committee (great he thought) and after the individual done a sat afternoon (3 hours) behind the bar he was outraged to realise it wasn't a paid role !!! Previous years everyone got involved just to keep their local club alive but it seems the future is certainly bleak for clubs without financial backing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going around the local grounds it's such a pleasure to see the volunteers enjoying the part they play for their clubs. Some of us may have been lucky to play the game but now have long since retired. Others may not have played but what ever why not give a little back to your local club. Looking forward to another interesting season ahead

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nobody loyal to a local club anymore , half the players pick up their money shower and drive home again . they  could not care less who runs the bar who does the grass etc , sad but a fact of life now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

nobody loyal to a local club anymore , half the players pick up their money shower and drive home again . they  could not care less who runs the bar who does the grass etc , sad but a fact of life now 

It’s not just happening at clubs that  have “money”!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

It’s not just happening at clubs that  have “money”!

very true , just seems the link between your local club and younger generation  wanting it to succeed is lost now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youth football is to blame, they are being given everything, and have to do nothing for 10 years.

Then they bring that attitude into adult football, where, believe it or not, everything is done and given to them again.

It is going to continue for a good few years yet, clubs folding, and no-one caring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe a lot of the Clubs that have been paying these youngsters hasn't helped, take for example a promising young talent who has been swayed to play for money from 16/17 years old then being asked to paint the changing rooms at the close season ?? Immediately when players are paid they are put above the Club and probably assume everyone at the Club working is paid anyway. I do disagree that youth football is to blame as youth football is far more structured than lower level adult football and to be honest it usually when these youngsters step into adult football that they go downhill due to the lack of coaching and structure adopted by many Clubs and teams (but not all of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some clubs are very lucky. Falmouth have a local manager and him and some of the players had a club day last season with painting and other tasks done.

And then there was the player cutting the grass before the St Austell game last season. And I don't think he was even playing.

It is hard to find willing volunteers but it's also essential not to take those who are already involved for granted. Always remember to thank them. It's so easy but it makes them feel it's worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paul pearce said:

And there are some clubs that the committee is a closed shop

Exactly the unfriendly attitude of a club committee has a detrimental effect on recruiting volunteers that is why I will never volunteer until attitudes change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2018 at 13:34, sportsman10 said:

nobody loyal to a local club anymore , half the players pick up their money shower and drive home again . they  could not care less who runs the bar who does the grass etc , sad but a fact of life now 

You said it; “money”. Money for playing football will never go hand in hand with loyalty. Players need to want to play for a club to show loyalty. Only got to look at the transfer merry-go-round that is the Peninsula Premier league to see that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattP said:

You said it; “money”. Money for playing football with never go hand in hand with loyalty. Players need to want to play for a club to show loyalty. Only got to look at the transfer merry-go-round that is the Peninsula Premier league to see that. 

Sadly you're right Matt. Not sure there's an easy answer to this. When I played back in the 1950's - early 60's there was no money on offer, you simply played for love of the game and were proud to be picked for your local team. You eagerly got yourself to the game, unless you were lucky and someone offered you a lift. Usually you went by bus, bike or walked though -not many folk had cars in those days.

Different days - different breed of lads then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've got to be honest, i dont think money is the reason at all. Its the attitude towards everything... the attitude of "why should i do it?" or "its not my job"

Ive seen the highest paid player painting posts around the ground in club colours in the off season, purely down to his attitude

lack of appreciation for what others do behind the scenes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been money in amateur football for many years going right back through decades, some committee's as stated are closed shop which is ludicrous this day and age, i agree club's need to make being a committee member more attractive and try and shake off the tag of all members are of the older generation, unfortunately the downfall of these clubs is also when people are Officer's, committee members, managers etc for their own gain or personal agenda rather than doing whats in the best interests of the Club (i have seen this a lot) some people like the status as Chairman or Manager and a member of the committee but when push comes to shove they dont actively do anything proactive. In regards to management also long terms are great and an absoloute credit to the commitment shown to the Club but realistically in the best interests of the Club they should be looking to work with them to plan for the future, many times it becomes closed shop because these positions are held by long serving members (who have always done it) so it becomes an awkward situation, in my experience you need to embrace and welcome change for the Club to move forward, something which lots of committee's and Clubs are not fond of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David187 said:

There's been money in amateur football for many years going right back through decades, some committee's as stated are closed shop which is ludicrous this day and age, i agree club's need to make being a committee member more attractive and try and shake off the tag of all members are of the older generation, unfortunately the downfall of these clubs is also when people are Officer's, committee members, managers etc for their own gain or personal agenda rather than doing whats in the best interests of the Club (i have seen this a lot) some people like the status as Chairman or Manager and a member of the committee but when push comes to shove they dont actively do anything proactive. In regards to management also long terms are great and an absoloute credit to the commitment shown to the Club but realistically in the best interests of the Club they should be looking to work with them to plan for the future, many times it becomes closed shop because these positions are held by long serving members (who have always done it) so it becomes an awkward situation, in my experience you need to embrace and welcome change for the Club to move forward, something which lots of committee's and Clubs are not fond of.

Exactly my thoughts !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2018 at 18:57, BIG AL said:

Exactly the unfriendly attitude of a club committee has a detrimental effect on recruiting volunteers that is why I will never volunteer until attitudes change.

Well why don't you join the committee and change this?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just football though is it?

in football players expect pitch to be marked, kit to be out, nets to be up, balls to be available, bar to be open, food to be there. All this happens with the help of volunteers. 

Same in other sports, I can imagine cricket being one, rugby for definite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2018 at 18:52, paul pearce said:

And there are some clubs that the committee is a closed shop

Sadly this is true. Unhealthy I think and it can hold a club back. One club I know doesn't even have a membership either. It almost ''family run'' - not the way to attract support I would suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×