Cornwall Football Forum

NAFC Newquay Football Club

No one can disspute that this season has been an Annis Hobbilus one for Newquay Football Club, the most testing one in the clubs 125 year history.

Newquay have been an ever present member of the former South Western League and present South West Peninsula League since 1951. Likewise, it has been an everpresent member and founder member of the Cornwall Combination League since 1959.

It was a distinct possibility that the Newquay Club would not remain in either League at the end of this season. 

Now that everyone at Mount Wise can breathe a little more easily it is appropriate to thank the sponsors, managers, players and committee (both young and not so young) and loyal supporters for their dogged support during this very difficult season, you certainly discover who your real friends are. My condolences also go out to St Blazey, another old Cornish Club with a proud history.

Perhaps it is also time to reflect. Football has certainly changed in Cornwall over the last 10 years or more, and many different views have been expressed as to why. Falmouth, Penryn, Porthleven, Newquay, St Blazey, St Austell, Bodmin, Torpoint and Liskeard all have had periods of instability.

Realists will agree money or lack of it plays a major part in any clubs success. I believe that the changes in licencing laws and drinking habits have also been a massive factor. Booming Football Club houses of the past are very few and far between now. Over the years bar takings and fruit machine profits were sufficient to finance a successful team.

It is also very true that we are living in a very different age where players have so much choice in how to spend their leisure hours. Commitment is a very old fashioned word these days, and has sadly been replaced by apathy.

Time to be more cheerful, time to look optimistically towards next season. As the song goes "Things an only get better". 

Hat's off to Tony McKellar for sticking with it. With the early season double figure defeats no one could blame him if he walked away but he stayed with it. :thumbsup:

Huge praise to Tony M for hanging on in there when lesser men would have walked away. Hopefully the committee who have remained loyal can find the resources that are inevitably necessary at this level, to assist him in recruitment and provide a less stressful season for the faithful. 

Some talented youngsters have had an opportunity and some older heads like Danny O have tried hard to create a resilient team.Add to this pot and the club can become competitive again. 

Well said Kelvo, lets hope they manage to arrest their problems at Newquay for next season & at least make them competitive again like they were in the good old days. Reading through Dave Deacons twitter feed I notice he posted  Newquay hold the Fourth worst goals against column for any team in the Country, that's a lot of goals if you count how many leagues that involves. Good luck you Peppermints :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Outsider said:

Is it really justified to spend a fortune for a bit of silver? It is an amateur football , isn't it?

It probably isn't, even though it has been going on though for years and years.

However, if someone is prepared to give a club the money to "buy" players - so be it! 

17 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Funny question to ask when you are the manager, if you don't know how would anyone else. Strangest post ever.

Not really is it? Everyone seems to know our budget. Hundreds, hundreds and hundreds apparently 

43 minutes ago, Nanks said:

Not really is it? Everyone seems to know our budget. Hundreds, hundreds and hundreds apparently 

Whatever amount, less than the previous season I suspect and so Nanks and Chappers can step down with their heads held high.

Even more so if they manage a League Cup Final win on Sunday.

22 hours ago, Tribute said:

They have the power to stop any abuse but seldom do . Anyway , the point I'm making is , it's a hobby for refs as much as players . 

Refs get paid too much in any case if its their hobby they should get NOTHING

And if it's a players hobby they should get nothing too! 

Can't believe that players get paid full stop when you see players in the junior leagues forking out of their own pockets to pay for subs, travel expenses, tracksuits and goodness knows what else and then there are a those who have brown envelopes full of money, wardrobes full of tracksuits and shoe racks full of boots that have just been thrown at them. But that's another story! 

Refs deserve the money that they get - it may be a hobby or a passion but for some it's an extra income or even a career for those that want it (I'm aware that this may be the same for some local football players - but imagine the reply you would get if you asked some players for their weekly subs). 

On 5/3/2017 at 19:26, BIG AL said:

Refs get paid too much in any case if its their hobby they should get NOTHING

You sir are a complete plank!

On 5/3/2017 at 23:23, WendronOfficial said:

And if it's a players hobby they should get nothing too! 

Can't believe that players get paid full stop when you see players in the junior leagues forking out of their own pockets to pay for subs, travel expenses, tracksuits and goodness knows what else and then there are a those who have brown envelopes full of money, wardrobes full of tracksuits and shoe racks full of boots that have just been thrown at them. But that's another story! 

Refs deserve the money that they get - it may be a hobby or a passion but for some it's an extra income or even a career for those that want it (I'm aware that this may be the same for some local football players - but imagine the reply you would get if you asked some players for their weekly subs). 

i cant imagine its enough for an extra income, especially when you way up how much kit etc costs and the cost of getting to games.  but for several it could become a career, that i 100% agree with you.

On 2 May 2017 at 18:37, Nanks said:

Come on nanks,u used to play for cash n it wasn't £20,3 times that or ur boots didn't come out the bag apparently!

9 hours ago, Mr Mo said:

You sir are a complete plank!

i cant imagine its enough for an extra income, especially when you way up how much kit etc costs and the cost of getting to games.  but for several it could become a career, that i 100% agree with you.

Even planks have the freedom of expression !