Cornwall Football Forum

From Helston Twitter feed - Sunday 9/4/17

10-1 would of really hurt Sid Naylor, seems like he has gone full circle now down at Helston, they have had their good spell. Good luck Sid, good manager (in his own special way!) & half decent keeper too. Any name in place  for new manager, don't know many that far down the country, they only play with rugby balls that far down don't they?:c:

Everybody pays at this level, surely you are not naive enough to believe this is not part and parcel of football in the SWPL. Even your lot at Penryn pay, much as you would hate to admit it. Obviously time for a change at Helston and whoever comes in will have a significant base to build upon.

21 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Everybody pays at this level, surely you are not naive enough to believe this is not part and parcel of football in the SWPL. Even your lot at Penryn pay, much as you would hate to admit it. Obviously time for a change at Helston and whoever comes in will have a significant base to build upon.

Pay at Penryn lol ....you've never met our treasurer - no chance.

Sponsors have....that's up to them.

didnt take long for them to jump ship once the going got tough!!!  things were all rosy when they were beating teams in the combo, ontop the SWPL West, and then once they got to a level where they more than met their match (as per the weekends result!) they move aside....i fear this now will open the door for players to look for similar excuses to leave and play elsewhere.  

who has the credentials to come in and take this job on? one of the reserve team managers? surly not enough pulling power there? someone else locally with that pulling power to bring in and maintain this level? but who? would kevin richards move up from porthlevan? alan carey? or a real big name for a lot of £££££ to really push the club on?

11 minutes ago, Sijames said:

didnt take long for them to jump ship once the going got tough!!!  things were all rosy when they were beating teams in the combo, ontop the SWPL West, and then once they got to a level where they more than met their match (as per the weekends result!) they move aside....i fear this now will open the door for players to look for similar excuses to leave and play elsewhere.  

who has the credentials to come in and take this job on? one of the reserve team managers? surly not enough pulling power there? someone else locally with that pulling power to bring in and maintain this level? but who? would kevin richards move up from porthlevan? alan carey? or a real big name for a lot of £££££ to really push the club on?

What a ridiculous comment you are talking about two blokes that have been loyal to this club for 7 years.When they took the job on, Helston were a mid table combination team who were playing on a field every week struggling to get a team out,and now what do Helston have after 7 years under their leadership and working with a good committee they have three adult teams,they have a youth set up which is second to no other football club in Cornwall and along side that they will have two ladys teams,the team no longer goes out to play on a field they look forward to playing on a quality football pitch.Both Sid and Ritchie new they would struggle to compete against the big spenders but at the end of the day which ever team they fielded win or loose home or away come nine o'clock in the evening they would still be drinking in our club house, at Helston we like to class ourselves as a community club it's there for the locals and that's the players we try to use,Everyone at this club appreciates what they have achieved and hopefully they will stay part of their club. 

41 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Once the going got tough?? How tough do you think it was having 4 hard seasons in the West Div seeing, Newquay, Godolphin and Callington get promoted above you all the while other clubs with the deep pockets picking off your best players? How tough was it during 2 initial seasons in the Prem with all the extra travelling and once again dealing with a team who's had their main striker poached? How tough was it securing additional funds to improve the ground to a standard to play in the FA Vase and travel as far as Bristol to beat Portishead? So yeah, overall an easy job which anyone could've done I guess? Seems SiJjmes has a lot to say about local football without any real clue - typical keyboard warrior!! Our record is one to be proud of, as is the legacy we leave in terms of facilities etc. Richie Full - Helston AFC Assistant Manager

On 4/9/2017 at 17:55, leedsunited said:

10-1 would of really hurt Sid Naylor, seems like he has gone full circle now down at Helston, they have had their good spell. Good luck Sid, good manager (in his own special way!) & half decent keeper too. Any name in place  for new manager, don't know many that far down the country, they only play with rugby balls that far down don't they?:c:

On 4/9/2017 at 17:55, leedsunited said:

Sid Taylor :thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, BAGMAN said:

Once the going got tough?? How tough do you think it was having 4 hard seasons in the West Div seeing, Newquay, Godolphin and Callington get promoted above you all the while other clubs with the deep pockets picking off your best players? How tough was it during 2 initial seasons in the Prem with all the extra travelling and once again dealing with a team who's had their main striker poached? How tough was it securing additional funds to improve the ground to a standard to play in the FA Vase and travel as far as Bristol to beat Portishead? So yeah, overall an easy job which anyone could've done I guess? Seems SiJjmes has a lot to say about local football without any real clue - typical keyboard warrior!! Our record is one to be proud of, as is the legacy we leave in terms of facilities etc. Richie Full - Helston AFC Assistant Manager

Clubs with deep pockets? players being 'poached'? correct me if i am wrong but did you not sign any players from outside of Helston AFC during your time from other local clubs, paying for them to play for you at the same time? glass houses and all that i think young man! i think you may well of just justified a few of my points by me saying 'when the going gets tough', or should of say the job becomes to tough? things will not always be easy at the premier level it is a shame you thought it was going to be? players and other clubs have the right to move and this will happen at every level, i wouldnt expect you to use that as a reason as to why things were tough, or easy, or if anyone else could of done the job you have done!

take nothing away from what your committee have achieved off the pitch, and enabled funds by the looks of things for you to bring players in and the club be able to push forward, i wish whoever takes over the best of luck, a good little set up down there i will be paying a visit for the senior cup final!

24 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Forgot about Alan Carey, does he still live down that way? Should think he would be high on most clubs list if he offered his services

With all due respect, i cannot see Alan Carey managing anywhere again.

From hearing recent talk, the well travelled Mr Carey probably isnt in the greatest position to manage, however i wouldn't wish to start any rumours as i have no proof of how he is at the moment.

So Sijames, which club has the good fortune of your support? Reading your comments, one thing seems apparent -  you have made your criticism quite personal against Sid and Richie - were you left behind on your own when they rode over the hill and stole all team mates? Your comments are misplaced, misinformed and really not doing your pending application to be the new manager any favours. You tell me who broke all your toys as a child and I will go and get them for you. 

6 hours ago, cornishrambler said:

With all due respect, i cannot see Alan Carey managing anywhere again.

From hearing recent talk, the well travelled Mr Carey probably isnt in the greatest position to manage, however i wouldn't wish to start any rumours as i have no proof of how he is at the moment.

'Cornishrambler ' What has happened to Alan Carey, he did a cracking job at St.Blazey last season??

6 hours ago, le boss said:

So Sijames, which club has the good fortune of your support? Reading your comments, one thing seems apparent -  you have made your criticism quite personal against Sid and Richie - were you left behind on your own when they rode over the hill and stole all team mates? Your comments are misplaced, misinformed and really not doing your pending application to be the new manager any favours. You tell me who broke all your toys as a child and I will go and get them for you. 

Still lost 10 - 1 and now can't raise a team ....dress it how you like - does not look good on any clubs CV (!)

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Still lost 10 - 1 and now can't raise a team ....dress it how you like - does not look good on any clubs CV (!)

Got to agree. Was told Helston have been begging Res team for players.

Helston took 3 players from Redruth and now they have left. 

Anyone who is suggesting that Sid and Ritchie are scurrying away are small minded idiots! I am sat in Helston's car park waiting to play a semi final and the whole place looks stunning, and why have helston got this? Yes a committee puts a graft in but realistically the club playing at the standard they are and giving good results is the reason and credit must be due to the pair of them for building a side that has competed at combo then peninsula west and now the prem! I should think after 7 years they are ready for a break! I know a lot of the helston lads and they rate the pair of them highly and I am sure it won't be the last of them in football, and to say there CV is tarnished by the last few months or so is ludicrous! Best of luck to the pair of you from all at Wendron United!

Lots of narrow minded people on this site. Don't know the two guys personally but to take a combo side as far as they have in a short space of time is very commendable and as players leave your skill in bringing players in enhances your standing in my opinion. Enjoy your time off and I am sure other clubs will be queuing for your services

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

All a bit touchy...wow !!! all I said was.

A simple fact.....lost 10 - 1 ...can't raise a team, both managers announce their resignation does not look good on any clubs CV.....and it's still a fact.....get over it.

Not touchy just trying to diffuse petty mischief making from people who should look closer to home. The point about not being able to raise a side - ask your own club when was the last time they did the same thing - oh yeah in the last couple of weeks!! So perhaps lose the pious attitude. Happy Easter. 

Putting one freak result aside with a depleted line up you have to say that Helston have come on as a club leaps and bounds in the past few years. The playing surface and surrounding ground are as good as anything around and congrats must go to Paul who is a very forward thinking chairman and I think it's a great venue to stage such a game as the Cornwall Senior Cup Final. Both sets of players will appreciate playing on that pitch I'm sure. Sid and Rich have done a fantastic job on the playing front as well with almost constant success and have established the club in the SWL Premier. Losing amongst others their top strikers along the way in Edds, then Goldie but still competed beating many of the top sides during their tenure. There's another superb young striker given his chance by them in Matt Buchan who will have a great career I'm sure. I'm an old team mate of Sids and can say he was much more than a "half decent" keeper in his prime and along with Richie has proved himself an excellent manager. Sometimes things run their course but nothing but positive things can be said about Helston as a club and the job done there. Great effort to all concerned ⚽??

12 hours ago, le boss said:

Not touchy just trying to diffuse petty mischief making from people who should look closer to home. The point about not being able to raise a side - ask your own club when was the last time they did the same thing - oh yeah in the last couple of weeks!! So perhaps lose the pious attitude. Happy Easter. 

When did stating facts become pious (?) strange choice there buddy.

Not touchy (?) I think that post was just that...lol

Merely stating facts and commenting ....well done to Helston from me - but the facts remain....sorry.

Enjoy your eggs :c: