Plymstock Utd    0    Liskeard Ath    0
Porthleven    4    Dobwalls    1
St Dennis    2    Wadebridge    1
Sticker        1    Millbrook    1

DURNING LAWRENCE CHARITY CUP
Quarter-Finals
Mousehole    1    Wendron    2
Polperro    1    Penryn Ath    2
after extra time (score at 90 minutes 1-1)

St Austell 2 Bodmin Town 2

Great entertainment in this game. Bodmin took the lead when Seymour finished following a scramble in the penalty area after a free kick. St. Austell equalised when Eddy broke the offside trap and finished well low into the net. Bodmin regained the lead when Sullivan scored with a great shot from 20 odd yards. Both keepers made some good saves in the first half to keep their teams in it. 2-1 to Bodmin at half-time.

The Bodmin keeper made a decent save early in the second half and they then had their midfielder Pearce (who I thought was having a good game) sent off needlessly after about 65 minutes, when he tangled with a St Austell player off the ball and was shown a straight red card. The game then became disjointed and it looked like Bodmin would hold on and they always looked dangerous at set-pieces. St. Austell couldn't get Eddy into threatening positions and they didn't really create too much. The fog cam in and I thought that the referee may have abandoned the game but in difficult conditions the game carried on. St Austell were awarded a free kick on the halfway line, which was disputed by Bodmin and from there the ball ended in the back of their net. It looked to me as though it was an own goal but I have seen elsewhere that Evans got the goal. 2-2 and Gilbert was less than impressed (to say the least!) with the award of the kick in the first place. Bodmin appeared to have won a free kick on the edge of the box when lone target man Carter used his strength and took on 4/5 St. Austell players and went through on goal, only for the linesman to flag for an infringement that I didn't see.

Overall I think 2-2 was a fair result. When I play I like a whinge and moan, but some of the players need to have a look at the way they conduct themselves on the pitch. If I was the referee or assistant I don't think I would have been prepared to take the abuse that they did all game - the assistant who was running the line with Bodmin's backline bore the brunt of it. Whether his decisions were all right or all wrong there was no need for the grief that he consistently took. There were some feisty tackles, mass brawls and it was excellent entertainment.

46 minutes ago, Chris Davey said:

St Austell 2 Bodmin Town 2

Great entertainment in this game. Bodmin took the lead when Seymour finished following a scramble in the penalty area after a free kick. St. Austell equalised when Eddy broke the offside trap and finished well low into the net. Bodmin regained the lead when Sullivan scored with a great shot from 20 odd yards. Both keepers made some good saves in the first half to keep their teams in it. 2-1 to Bodmin at half-time.

The Bodmin keeper made a decent save early in the second half and they then had their midfielder Pearce (who I thought was having a good game) sent off needlessly after about 65 minutes, when he tangled with a St Austell player off the ball and was shown a straight red card. The game then became disjointed and it looked like Bodmin would hold on and they always looked dangerous at set-pieces. St. Austell couldn't get Eddy into threatening positions and they didn't really create too much. The fog cam in and I thought that the referee may have abandoned the game but in difficult conditions the game carried on. St Austell were awarded a free kick on the halfway line, which was disputed by Bodmin and from there the ball ended in the back of their net. It looked to me as though it was an own goal but I have seen elsewhere that Evans got the goal. 2-2 and Gilbert was less than impressed (to say the least!) with the award of the kick in the first place. Bodmin appeared to have won a free kick on the edge of the box when lone target man Carter used his strength and took on 4/5 St. Austell players and went through on goal, only for the linesman to flag for an infringement that I didn't see.

Overall I think 2-2 was a fair result. When I play I like a whinge and moan, but some of the players need to have a look at the way they conduct themselves on the pitch. If I was the referee or assistant I don't think I would have been prepared to take the abuse that they did all game - the assistant who was running the line with Bodmin's backline bore the brunt of it. Whether his decisions were all right or all wrong there was no need for the grief that he consistently took. There were some feisty tackles, mass brawls and it was excellent entertainment.

Thanks to Chris for an accurate little summary of the proceedings.

I was also at Poltair Park for what promised to be one of those really special SWPL games that you look forward to for ages.

Always found St Austell to be a friendly ground with helpful people always on hand to provide a welcoming match day experience. Today was no exception, first class.

Despite the anticipation of something special 'football-wise' I thought the first half was a bit of an anti-climax to be honest. A scrappy niggly affair with little genuine entertainment for the supporters. The goals eventually livened up the game and with a 1-2 lead Bodmin were in a great position to plot out a half time completion plan to see out the second half.

The mist and the deepening fog seemed to drift in a whole new agenda for that second half, to catchphrase the famous western 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' that's exactly what we got in an intriguing highly watchable 45 minutes of no holds barred compelling football.

I'm not going to duplicate what Chris has already reported.

All I will state is that two individual specific flaws counter-act what St Austell and Bodmin are seeking to achieve this season:

In the case of St Austell they are far too theatrical in falling over much too easily, time and time again I have seen their usual-suspects rolling all over the floor like they've been shot. I ask the question 'why', in the majority of instances they've hardly been touched? They are a damn good side with some really good players, they don't need to rely on these dubious flop on the floor tactics. All it does is enrage the opposition and open them up to wider claims of diving and cheating. I'd like to think St Austell football club can be better than that.

As for Bodmin Town, their key deficiency is basic discipline. How many times has the pot boiled over this season, how many points has it already cost them. It is not a sustainable code of conduct to win trophies (unless you gamble on luck, which won't last very long). Far too often certain individuals hit the self destruct button and get the red card for their misjudgement. Ultimately they lose matches and pick up unwelcome suspensions, daft is too easy a word for it.

The 1 point will not have done either side too much good today. Time to reflect upon internal performance issues. If they can fix their all too familiar problems that 1 point would soon become 3?

Good luck to both of them.

On 08/03/2017 at 09:34, Dave Deacon said:

Saturday March 11 (3 pm unless otherwise stated)

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Premier Division

Camelford

Witheridge

Exmouth Town

Launceston

Godolphin Atlantic

Plymouth Parkway

Helston Athletic

P

Torpoint Athletic

P

Unfit pitch - rearranged for Wednesday April 26, 7.45 pm

Newquay

Tavistock

Saltash United

P

Ivybridge Town

P

Unfit pitch - rearranged for Tuesday April 25, 7.30 pm

St Austell

Bodmin Town

St Blazey

Cullompton Rangers

Tiverton Town Reserves

Falmouth Town

Division One (East)

Appledore

Bovey Tracey

Budleigh Salterton

Alphington

Crediton United

Teignmouth

Exwick Villa

Axminster Town

Galmpton United

Liverton United

Sidmouth Town

Brixham

Torridgeside

St Martins

University of Exeter

P

Stoke Gabriel

P

No referee

Division One (West)

Holsworthy

Vospers Oak Villa

Penzance

Elburton Villa

Plymouth Marjon

Illogan RBL

Plymstock United

Liskeard Athletic

Porthleven

Dobwalls

St Dennis

Wadebridge Town

Sticker

Millbrook

DURNING LAWRENCE CHARITY CUP

Quarter-Finals

Mousehole

Wendron United

Polperro

Penryn Athletic

after extra time (score at 90 minutes 1-1)

you missed out the sticker v millbrook match!!

Not Daves fault I believe. There seems to be a problem with the area of the post expanding to take the information contained. Your post (above) over-ran the post box, over my reply box and over the "next unread topic" to the bottom of the page where I found the Sticker and Charity Cup results. I suspect that by posting this I will have covered them up, as happened with Daves original post.

Apologies about that razor61! Copied and pasted from the official results email and didn't like it for some reason. I've replaced them now so all can be seen. Congratulations, by the way, on winning the Div 1 West (goals difference apart) - is this the earliers a SWPL league title has been decided I wonder?

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Apologies about that razor61! Copied and pasted from the official results email and didn't like it for some reason. I've replaced them now so all can be seen. Congratulations, by the way, on winning the Div 1 West (goals difference apart) - is this the earliers a SWPL league title has been decided I wonder?

And a strange problem occurred when I posted my reply as explained by Bruegel! Thanks for the congrats Dave it has been a special season for the Sticky boys and all at the club lets hope they can get the win next week to wrap it up for sure! I am sure there is someone on the forum that knows the answer to your last point!

Ray

On 14/03/2017 at 01:36, Paul said:

March 11th 2017. 

A special day. This was the first.....yes first point ive seen St Blazey earn all season. :thumbsup:

Played well actually. Desearved all 3 points. St Blazey hitting the bar from 3 yards out at 2v2. :wacko:

Well done Paul on your resilience and loyalty. A shame there are not more like you at Blaise Park, giving their support when it is really needed.