Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Tuesday 28th November 2017

The 0-7 thrashing by Tavistock on the opening day of the season is now a distant memory-on that day 6 debutants were playing SWPL Premier Division.for the first time.

The first Pre Season get together was against Truro City 0-6 which one long standing City supporter told me it was the worst Falmouth side he had ever seen.

A great turn around by Manager Andy Westgarth.

Are Falmouth really that good or has the quality in the league dropped? Taking nothing away from Falmouth, but with the lads from Penryn coming in (4-6 of them i cant remember exactly how many) and the lad Webber (who played for Porth last season) all having played in the West last year with no real success (neither clubs won the league).....

or is it that the West division quality has improved and therefore isnt now a great difference between the West and the Prem?

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

Are Falmouth really that good or has the quality in the league dropped? Taking nothing away from Falmouth, but with the lads from Penryn coming in (4-6 of them i cant remember exactly how many) and the lad Webber (who played for Porth last season) all having played in the West last year with no real success (neither clubs won the league).....

or is it that the West division quality has improved and therefore isnt now a great difference between the West and the Prem?

The quality of football most certainly has dropped generally although I must say the top sides of Bodmin, Tavistock and Parkway seem to play a good standard of flowing and passing football.

Town have been steadily improving year-on year as can be seen from their final league positions.  Some of the better teams may have taken a step back this year but Town have definitely taken a step forward. Testament to Westy as he has trusted in youth, as he has a limited budget, and he has made sure the players he has are very fit and well-organised.  Credit also to assistant coach Charlie Davis who seems to offer some excellent coaching from the side-lines and presumably in training too.

It is a pleasure to watch Town at the moment as they play some excellent football always trying to play on the deck and through the midfield and maintaining a fierce tempo most times.

Finally all done without a single Plymouth-based player as far as I can see which is a departure from our previous successful spells. A local West Cornwall team with consequently a great team spirit.

Senior Cup Final appearance please as a minimum this year as Town could beat any Cornwall team (Except Truro!) on their day in my opinion.

4 hours ago, BIG AL said:

The quality of football most certainly has dropped generally although I must say the top sides of Bodmin, Tavistock and Parkway seem to play a good standard of flowing and passing football.

You are having a laugh to include Bodmin as playing a good standard of flowing football.  Falmouth’s success is down to two things - they are a well drilled team who play well as a team and secondly other than Jordan Annear and Ollie Walker who are quality strikers, the rest of the squad are decent (not outstanding) but all work very hard for each other and the club. I actually think the assistant coach is a complete idiot on the touch line but he must add something to the coaching. 

Their turn around is down to hard work and having watched them several times I would put them as the top Cornish side - very closely followed by Saltash.

32 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

You are having a laugh to include Bodmin as playing a good standard of flowing football.  Falmouth’s success is down to two things - they are a well drilled team who play well as a team and secondly other than Jordan Annear and Ollie Walker who are quality strikers, the rest of the squad are decent (not outstanding) but all work very hard for each other and the club. I actually think the assistant coach is a complete idiot on the touch line but he must add something to the coaching. 

Their turn around is down to hard work and having watched them several times I would put them as the top Cornish side - very closely followed by Saltash.

the top Cornish side is a brave call!

I didnt think Truro were that bad :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

I actually think the assistant coach is a complete idiot on the touch line but he must add something to the coaching. 

I actually bring nothing to the coaching at all, however I do bring four bags of Haribo to every game (two pre-match and two at half time). It worked for Baby (Frances Houseman) in Dirty Dancing albeit she carried a watermelon.

22 minutes ago, J MILLER said:

I actually bring nothing to the coaching at all, however I do bring four bags of Haribo to every game (two pre-match and two at half time). It worked for Baby (Frances Houseman) in Dirty Dancing albeit she carried a watermelon.

Perhaps other clubs should go down the Haribo line - it works ?

43 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

When did Falmouth last win at Saltash ??

When did you last watch either?

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

the top Cornish side is a brave call!

I didnt think Truro were that bad :yahoo:

My bad - ‘within the SWPL’ - although i’d rather watch Falmouth than TCFC, which is perhaps indicative of their poor local support?

7 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Perhaps other clubs should go down the Haribo line - it works ?

When did you last watch either?

My bad - ‘within the SWPL’ - although i’d rather watch Falmouth than TCFC, which is perhaps indicative of their poor local support?

When I last watched has no bearing on the matter!

12 hours ago, SCFC said:

Jack webber was porthleven 1st team young player of the year twice  at the ages of 16 and 17 and made the last 32 of England schools u18s,plus plenty of Cornwall appearances! I all that success.

15 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Ollie Walker isn't a striker - 6 goals in two seasons

10 hours ago, Ashton11 said:

Jack webber was porthleven 1st team young player of the year twice  at the ages of 16 and 17 and made the last 32 of England schools u18s,plus plenty of Cornwall appearances! I all that success.

You're spot on, hes had success at for the U18s , but hes what 17/18, and hes not the biggest of lads. Got cracking feet but there used to be a large physical difference in the prem when i was around

4 minutes ago, SCFC said:

You're spot on, hes had success at for the U18s , but hes what 17/18, and hes not the biggest of lads. Got cracking feet but there used to be a large physical difference in the prem when i was around

Having watched Jack develop with my County Youth involvement, he’s come on a long way in the last 12 months or so. Stronger, fitter and very much wants to be involved in the action. And at his age, these elements should only improve further still.

Out of 21 games that Falmouth has played to date, he has appeared in 19, of which 11 of those he started. Westy has faith in him and so far that belief has proved spot on.

31 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Having watched Jack develop with my County Youth involvement, he’s come on a long way in the last 12 months or so. Stronger, fitter and very much wants to be involved in the action. And at his age, these elements should only improve further still.

Out of 21 games that Falmouth has played to date, he has appeared in 19, of which 11 of those he started. Westy has faith in him and so far that belief has proved spot on.

Not doubting the fact he may be stronger, fitter etc but if a young lad played CM a few years ago, he'd have been bullied off the park regardless of his ability.

Another example is the two young lads in CM for Newquay, the lads Everard and Turner, must be a softer game these days

You just need to have the patience to give these lads a chance and allow them to develop their physicality. We're not all strapping guys who were men at 15 like Wayne Rooney. By playing against men they'll adapt their game and if they've got the technical ability they'll survive.

The game has got softer but it's also got quicker (mostly at professional level where fitness and speed has improved immeasurably and the ball is lighter and quicker) so if we all ploughed into tackles like we did years ago then we'd have more serious injuries to deal with.

I did the full FA Youth Coaches course at Keele University a few years back, it was mainly for professional clubs where this was a mandatory qualification for academy coaches. They kept saying to us to keep your talented players as long as you can as they will eventually gain their physicality.

They showed us two photos of male torsos of 15 year old boys. One was fully developed with a hairy chest and real muscle definition. The other was a scrawny kid with no hair and looked like a stream of pump water. The first was a player played a bit of pro football but mainly in the lower levels, the second was Jamie Carragher. Liverpool knew what they had but also knew they had to be patient with his development.

3 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Ollie Walker isn't a striker - 6 goals in two seasons

His pace as winger, cutting in and causing havoc makes him a striker to me - not just no9’s. 

12 hours ago, Ashton11 said:

Ashton11 - are you Jack W as he featured in nearly all your posts? If not, Jack is a cracking player and has developed well at Falmouth, the style of play there supports his style of play - got a little way to go yet, but as a starter this year for the County squad and regular time at Falmouth he will go from strength to strength. 

1 minute ago, BIG AL said:

Ah yes, I remember that, wasn't it because of an illegible player ?

Yeah, a player who came on as a sub who hadn't featured in a league game. Saltash progressed to the semi finals. But on 2nd January, Falmouth won 5-3 in the Throgmorton Cup. Their run ended at Kimberley Stadium when they were defeated by Buckland Athletic in the semi finals, their best efforts in the League Cup to date.

Having come second in the league last season and currently the highest placed cornish club at SWPL standard you would have to say saltash are the top cornish side closely followed by Bodmin.  However if you talking about all standards it’s obviously Truro.