Cornwall Football Forum

Bowks and Hewey say goodbye to Bickland!

Before anyone asks, no I haven't spoken to the individuals involved, but I have it on very good authority that Andy Bowker and Wayne Hewitt resigned late last night. As we know it would appear that Brinton Nute has already signed for Bodmin and other players are tapping up a few clubs to see what options they have.

Could be a few missing faces tonight at Parkway!

What next for the biggest club in Cornwall .... well they use to be the biggest club! :(

It has to be said, I feel for the Falmouth Town faithfull in all this. Where does this leave them now and what should they expect next at their Club? The squeeze of the credit crunch is on pretty much all sectors right now and I predict is the root of this decision as its a tough and uncertain time but this seems unfair on the loyal supporters of the Club at a time when it appeared the Club were heading in the right direction after a tough start.

Sounds a bit of a mess to be honest.

As Vice-Chairman of Falmouth Town AFC, I can confirm that I received a call last night from Andy Bowker informing me that he and Wayne Hewitt were standing down as manager and assistant manager. Brinton Nute is also in the process of moving to Bodmin Town. I can also confirm that the budget the managers were given to work with at the beginning of the season has been reduced. As a FOOTBALL COMMITTEE we feel badly let down by being given a budget to work with at the beginning of the season that has transpired to be grossly in excess of what could be afforded. When this was made apparent by our new treasurer, there was no alternative but to take drastic action for the good of the club.

We will endeavour to make arrangements to fulfil our fixture in the Throgmorton Cup at Plymouth Parkway tonight and I would ask any players wishing clarification of the situation to call me on 07968 051583. Hopefully by the weekend, some sort of stability will have returned.

The committee would like to thank everyone associated with the first team in their efforts to turn around what started out as poor season, and regretfully just when the team has been putting together a good run we have to start again.

Falmouth Town will now start the process of advertising for a new manager.

Charles Fittus, Vice-chairman, Falmouth Town AFC

Guest Man on the Post

I sincerely hope that Falmouth can overcome their current problems.

Looking at it from the outside it seems to me that they need someone to draw up a strategy for the future and give them a free hand to implement it. Someone like, (say), a 'Tommy Matthews'. :Santa:

Guest Peppermint

I totally agree with Mr Chairman that we all, I am sure, wish Falmouth Town Football Club the very best of luck in turning this situation around. Hopefully most players will stay and help the Club through this difficult time.

Another point - well done to Quiet Man - a very honest and clear posting and I am sure it must have been very difficult to do. With people like him on the Committee then Falmouth Town are indeed very fortunate.

I wish all the best to Bowks and Hewy. A very honest statement from Mr. Fittus and wish the club well in turning the situation around. I know there are some very hard working people down the club.

I would love to see Tommy Matthews at Falmouth? An ideal opportunity for him to bring on his county youth players on the big stage? And a true Falmouth Legend!

I am very Saddened at the current situation at falmouth, and as a suporter of almost 50 years, it comes even harder, I took my son Stephen to watch Town when he was about seven.

But I have to speak my mind I believe the signs have been there at Falmouth at least over the past 3 years,

ONE, the support for Town has fallen dramatically, very small gates leading to lost revenue,

TWO, the state of the ground surrounds, the stands at both ends are falling down, the walk on area is overgrown & muddy, you also have the slipery slope at the hole in the wall end, very dangerous in wet weather,

I and many other loyal suporters have been concerned about these conditions for a long time, therefore the spirit & enjoyment of comming to games does not seem to be there,

we can only look back of the great days past when Falmouth town were called the liverpool of Cornwall,

we have seen may great games at Falmouth with some great players,

Keith chegwin, Joe Scott, Tommy Mathews, Clifford Rashliegh A Budock Boy,Just to name a few,

Unfortunatly these days Money talks, If you are short of cash then you cannot put out the team that you would like to have,

It will be a very sad day for Cornish football if there were to be no FAMOUTH TOWN,

I have even heard that the social club & the football club to not Co Operate with each other, if this is true then there is a very big problem at Falmouth,

I just hope that every one concerned with Falmouth Town in any shape or form will pull together & keep this great Cornish club going

A very Concerned & Sad HAMMERS :(:unsure::c: :c:

I have to agree with the unhappy hammer. The good old days of Falmouth Town look like being behind us. I also remember watching some of the greats ( all be it the modern greats) under Dave Ball when the ground and clubhouse used to be full on a match day. Its a real Shame that the guys have left because after a tricky start to the season the were putting together some great results and taking the team foward but as stated before money talks. The rumour mill has already started on the subject of a replacement as i have heard that 2nd team manager bryn wheeler will b taking over. if so whis him all the best for the remainder of the season

Falmouth will be ok Im sure. Personnally I think their best way ahead is of a more local approach. Local manager whom would try and get in the best of the local talent. People that want to play for the club and not just for the ££££££££. Falmouth have tried different managers over the years with some success on the field. But with a price the more local talent has probably been ignored with so called big names on big bucks coming and going and the more local players left to look elsewhere.

If you build a squad more from the local area with players whom people know they will get better support more money through the gate and a hell of a lot more behind the bar. It may not bring overnight success but Im sure if its stuck with and the club back a new local manager the right way they will succeed on and off the pitch.

Just my thoughts

Guest Postie Pidge

Falmouth Town will fulfill tonight's fixture (under some guise) and Bryn Wheeler is in charge for tonight and Saturday's game.

Thanks also to the (few) first teamers who will play tonight as well as the members of the second and third team who I'm sure will wear the Falmouth colours WITH PRIDE tonight

F**king hell lads, come on!! How can you refuse to play football whether you get paid or not?? I found out last week that I need an operation on my ankle and will probably miss the season!! What i wouldn't give to play football right now for anyone!! Think of poor Hawkey as well who's hobbling around on crutches right now!!

It's the greatest game on earth!! If you've got a chance to play then play casue you'll regret it should you get a bad injury!!

It`s a great shame to see Falmouth Town in this position,if the social club do not support the football then someone should ask why,(they always did in my day). The argument was what came first the chicken or the egg?don`t forget no footie no match bar. Keep up the good work Charlie all the best for the future. :Santa::ninja: :ninja:

F**king hell lads, come on!! How can you refuse to play football whether you get paid or not?? I found out last week that I need an operation on my ankle and will probably miss the season!! What i wouldn't give to play football right now for anyone!! Think of poor Hawkey as well who's hobbling around on crutches right now!!

It's the greatest game on earth!! If you've got a chance to play then play casue you'll regret it should you get a bad injury!!

heah the spiders out of his web :clapper:

It is quite un-believable that a club like Falmouth Town is in the predicament that it finds its-self in. With the number of business's in the town, it beggars belief that the " committee " have not found someone with their heart in the club, to get out there and drum up the sponsorship and the monies required to enable the football team to perform to a competitive level.

Si Winnan has the right idea, to bring in local talent and nurture them whether that be in the higher leagues or the Combination League. Senior players have become " mercenaries " and move around clubs looking for the best money, and in a way I can understand that, what with the " credit crunch " But I also must add that there are many more who stay loyal and they must be congratulated.

The whole football scene has changed over the last 10 years, and the ex-players of Falmouth Town must be feeling really disappointed about the sad decline of their club.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of Tommy Matthews, Dodger Long, Graham Heard etc; etc: etc: I sincerly hope that a good manager can be found to complete the season and then move on to better times. A new look committee would not go amiss either!!!!!!

Shocked,gutted,lost for words.I agree with Hammer,could also see this coming for some time.

What's happened to the social club,the place used to be packed,credit crunch or not,the money that place generated,sundays were packed out.

The players obviously feel let down,like it or not,players at this level get paid,always have,always will,and a

lot of them probably have families to support.

It would appear it's back to basics,or go cap in hand to Graham Medlyn.

It is quite un-believable that a club like Falmouth Town is in the predicament that it finds its-self in. With the number of business's in the town, it beggars belief that the " committee " have not found someone with their heart in the club, to get out there and drum up the sponsorship and the monies required to enable the football team to perform to a competitive level.

Si Winnan has the right idea, to bring in local talent and nurture them whether that be in the higher leagues or the Combination League. Senior players have become " mercenaries " and move around clubs looking for the best money, and in a way I can understand that, what with the " credit crunch " But I also must add that there are many more who stay loyal and they must be congratulated.

The whole football scene has changed over the last 10 years, and the ex-players of Falmouth Town must be feeling really disappointed about the sad decline of their club.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of Tommy Matthews, Dodger Long, Graham Heard etc; etc: etc: I sincerly hope that a good manager can be found to complete the season and then move on to better times. A new look committee would not go amiss either!!!!!!

Nice words DOF however you know aswell as i do that asking for a new look committee is far to much to ask for lol. :clapper:

Come on pidge, those boys gave everything this season, it's not they're fault and I think they feel a bit let down at the minute!!

They may well feel let down, but to refuse to play tonight! A bit OTT! This is South West Peninsula League standard not the Premiership! :(

Perhaps a player would like to let us all know on what grounds they refused to play tonight? Or is it simply that they do it for money!

I don't really see that there is an easy answer to the situation. I feel one of the biggest issues is the Peninsula league which although a good idea,is it was probably started 10 years too late.There were some very good clubs around in the western league then too who may have joined the league. Falmouth being the most westerly premier league club are never going to attract the best players in a Devon and Cornwall league. Even with decent money being offered. Most players I would expect to be Plymouth based which is less travelling for home and away games. Things maybe better if the likes of Penzance, Porthleven, Penryn, Newquay and Truro were to get promoted but thats going to takes years !

It's certainly going to be a tough season from here on in whoever takes it on !

Guest Steven Hawke

Come on pidge, those boys gave everything this season, it's not they're fault and I think they feel a bit let down at the minute!!

They may well feel let down, but to refuse to play tonight! A bit OTT! This is South West Peninsula League standard not the Premiership! :(

Perhaps a player would like to let us all know on what grounds they refused to play tonight? Or is it simply that they do it for money!

Would loved to of played tonight, not a case of refusing to play, just got bit of a bad injury. I wont be playing for Falmouth Town again this season but im not going to stop supporting the team that has helped me hell of alot through my injury, thats the club and mostly Andy Bowker and Wayne Hewitt they have both been superb. Most clubs would of just forgot about me and said see you next season but i get phone calls every week from Bowks, Hewey and the club to see how im getting on, asking if there's anything they could do for me, and also picking me up to take me to the game. Too me a top top club, the best ive played for, just a shame the things that has happened has happened. But once again the club have been superb and Bowks and Hewey, two top blokes that i have alot of respect and time for. Good Luck Falmouth Town :thumbsup:

i think alot has been said about the players not playing, i did think they would have turned up for the game tonight and saw falmouth through to the weekend, but they have morgages and kids so each to their own. no one has mentioned bowks and hewy in all of this, if the management jump ship as soon as the budget goes then why should the players stay??? from what i hear bowks was taking his fair share of the budget anyway, and he wouldnt exactly stay and play for nothing would he, he is known for liking his money isnt he??!!

just seems a little unfair to blast the players when those in charge of them have bailed out the night before a game.

sorry for a great club

yours in sport

bloomy

Would loved to of played tonight, not a case of refusing to play, just got bit of a bad injury. I wont be playing for Falmouth Town again this season but im not going to stop supporting the team that has helped me hell of alot through my injury, thats the club and mostly Andy Bowker and Wayne Hewitt they have both been superb. Most clubs would of just forgot about me and said see you next season but i get phone calls every week from Bowks, Hewey and the club to see how im getting on, asking if there's anything they could do for me, and also picking me up to take me to the game. Too me a top top club, the best ive played for, just a shame the things that has happened has happened. But once again the club have been superb and Bowks and Hewey, two top blokes that i have alot of respect and time for. Good Luck Falmouth Town :thumbsup:

Hawkey is class and would love to see you back in a Falmouth Town shirt next season!

i think alot has been said about the players not playing, i did think they would have turned up for the game tonight and saw falmouth through to the weekend, but they have morgages and kids so each to their own. no one has mentioned bowks and hewy in all of this, if the management jump ship as soon as the budget goes then why should the players stay???

just seems a little unfair to blast the players when those in charge of them have bailed out the night before a game.

Well said,you beat me to it.

Be good to hear from those absent as to why they wouldn't play.

I would like to respond to Charles Fittus’ comment, “As a FOOTBALL COMMITTEE we feel badly let down by being given a budget to work with at the beginning of the season that has transpired to be grossly in excess of what could be afforded. When this was made apparent by our new treasurer, there was no alternative but to take drastic action for the good of the club.”

The budget that the 1st Team Manager was given was both proposed by and approved by the Executive Committee in May 2008. This was based on a

projected income of sponsorship from Richardsons Hotels of Distinction, the advertising boards, gate money and other sundry income generated by the football section. The Executive Committee was aware at that time of the need to ensure that the social section generated more income. Unfortunately this did not happen with the result that the football section is now heavily subsidising the social section. Some months ago, in order to rectify this imbalance, I requested that a small finance committee be formed to plan fundraising activities to overcome this problem. This request was denied by the Executive Committee. As the previous Treasurer, I take great exception to Mr Fittus’ remark, “When this was made apparent by our new treasurer…..” because this implies that the parlous state of the club finances was unknown until made apparent by the new Treasurer. This, as I have outlined above, is total nonsense. Although the duties of a club treasurer are only to record income and expenditure, the Executive Committee, being the responsible body for managing the finances, I tried my very best, over the past few years, to make ALL committees appreciate the gradually deteriorating state of the club’s finances. 4 years of banging my head against a brick wall was too much and I resigned! :smiley20:

Here we go again another club and in this case a big one getting into difficulties because it is trying to pay players more money than it can afford and relying on outside support to fund silly money which can go kaput at any time ....cannot understand why clubs do not take a reality check and realise that the gate money just is not available any more and to carry on hoping for hand outs from wealthy benefactors to entice good players who would not otherwise play for the love of the game and the club is an absolute folly and is why we have this constant comings and goings in some cases as per Falmouth before we even reach Xmas which culminated in last nights thrashing at Parkway just a couple of weeks after they won a league game there!!!!!! some loyalty and decency that - and don't let me hear all that rubbish about needing the money to pay mortgages etc - those who do should be ashamed - THIS IS DEVON AND CORNWALL low wages few jobs etc NOT Manchester, Birmingham , London and the PREMIERSHIP......WAKE UP...