Liskeard Athletic v Boscastle

Newquay v St. Stephen

WEDNESDAY, 20TH MARCH, 2024

PREMIER DIVISION WEST

Penryn Athletic v Illogan RBL

Wendron United v Mousehole Development

DIVISION 1 EAST

St. Blazey v Foxhole Stars

Penryn v Illogan RBL abandoned at half-time with the visitors leading 3-0 thanks to two early penalties and a goalkeeping error.

The rumour is the ref had had enough of being shouted and abused by various players and officials and called the game off.

I stress that is only what I heard from others at the ground as half-time dragged on and on. We only knew the game was off for sure when the lights were turned off!

Lots more to come from this match, I suspect, and apologies if the rumours turn out to be wrong. All that can be said for sure is that the match was abandoned at half-time. Strange turn of events.

2 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Penryn v Illogan RBL abandoned at half-time with the visitors leading 3-0 thanks to two early penalties and a goalkeeping error.

The rumour is the ref had had enough of being shouted and abused by various players and officials and called the game off.

I stress that is only what I heard from others at the ground as half-time dragged on and on. We only knew the game was off for sure when the lights were turned off!

Lots more to come from this match, I suspect, and apologies if the rumours turn out to be wrong. All that can be said for sure is that the match was abandoned at half-time. Strange turn of events.

I understand lIlogan produced an alternative ref suggestion once it was realised the original ref had decided he had had enough, but the home side declined! 

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I understand lIlogan produced an alternative ref suggestion once it was realised the original ref had decided he had had enough, but the home side declined! 

this is true, i was there, and i must admit i dont know how the referee lasted as long as he did! AND, he didnt actually make any wrong decisions leading to any of the goals at all, shame on them! this club is spiraling out of control and has been for sometime now. you only have to look at the 'back room staff' to see why, the chap who used to be the club lino going on like he knows what he is talking about when in fact he hasnt got ANY experience playing the game and talks a load o rubbish, its laughable!  

i think this should happen more often, well done to the man in black, and as for Illogan offering a replacement referee, that referee should be spoken to by the CCFA and have a slap on the wrists for offering to step in just to get 3 points! he should be backing his fellow referees decision, its not like there was an injury, it was abandoned!!! 

4 minutes ago, Sijames said:

he should be backing his fellow referees decision, its not like there was an injury, it was abandoned!!! 

Bit harsh I reckon that! He was backing his club in trying to get the game completed and enabling the spectators to watch a 90 minute match!

3 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bit harsh I reckon that! He was backing his club in trying to get the game completed and enabling the spectators to watch a 90 minute match!

ridiculous, have you considered IF the replacement referee was actually qualified to do that level? (or even a registered referee with in date DBS / Safeguarding amongst other things!) who would check this before the game resumed? thats half the issue, and not just because 'well we know him', thats irrelevant! the minute the official abandoned the game, both teams should be considering what happened and concentrate on what potential repercussions will come of this! not if we can get 'old boy in' jsut to get over the line!!!!

26 minutes ago, Sijames said:

ridiculous, have you considered IF the replacement referee was actually qualified to do that level? (or even a registered referee with in date DBS / Safeguarding amongst other things!) who would check this before the game resumed? thats half the issue, and not just because 'well we know him', thats irrelevant! the minute the official abandoned the game, both teams should be considering what happened and concentrate on what potential repercussions will come of this! not if we can get 'old boy in' jsut to get over the line!!!!

The first half of the issue you've raised is largely irrelevant. If the match referee doesn't turn up, or one isn't appointed then the clubs agree upon a replacement. The replacement has the full powers of a match official for that game, whether they are qualified, to the required level or not, or not qualified at all. 

The main issue in all of this, is that if the appointed referee abandoned the game. That's it, the games over. Anything after that point becomes irrelevant whether a replacement can be sought and agreed upon, or not. The match result would still be A-A. 

The management committee, in accordance with the competition rules will dictate what happens now.

35 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Allow me to be even more ridiculous - the match referee has all the tools at his disposal to ensure he maintains control and so going home at half-time should not be an option!

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Allow me to be even more ridiculous - the match referee has all the tools at his disposal to ensure he maintains control and so going home at half-time should not be an option!

But why should he stay there and put up with being abused? That isn't what he's paid for. Maybe he should've just red carded everyone that was giving him lip (or would that have been ridiculous too?). Let's face it, (some) people would've moaned no matter what decision the ref made.

Personally, if you're going to act like a twonk, you should suffer the consequences (or as they say on Youtube, "Fudge around, and find out"). 

I wasn't at the game but I took a call from the club when the referee left the ground.  At that time it wasn't absolutely clear whether the referee had abandoned the game so I said do not complete the game.  These are very unusual circumstances and my fear was that to do so with a substitute referee if the appointed official had abandoned the game would lay both clubs open to further disciplinary action.  This was confirmed as the correct action this morning. 

This matter is now with Cornwall FA.

Not to sure about that dave, I was with andy all along and no one offered him a referee. Plus the ref abandoned the game, very tricky to then ask someone to ref then.what if there’s a bad injury? The ref had abandoned the game.annoying but right decision made. Very poor decision from ref.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

We don't know which tools the match referee were used to what avail or for what reason the match was abandoned.

But in simple terms:

Dissent = 10 minute temporary dismissal

Offensive, insulting and/or abusive, language = Red Card

Any team having fewer than seven players as a result of temporary dismissals or red cards would result in the game being abandoned.

So even if he used all of the tools available he could still have gone home at halftime with the same result. 

We don't know if the referee sin binned /sent off X amount of players in the half time interval  or whether they called the game having had enough of the behaviour.

Additionally, there are times where a game can't be brought to a safe conclusion due to participant behaviour where abandonment is suitable, for example threats to the referees safety,or players safety from other players/participants.

Without facts everything is conjecture.

Let's not make this about the referee. From what I am reading, whatever has happened is as a result of player/club behaviour. Whether the referee could/should have done anything differently shouldn't be the debate, he shouldn't be put into that position to have to make that decision in the 1st place.

50 minutes ago, Martin mcgee said:

The ref had abandoned the game.annoying but right decision made. Very poor decision from ref.

Was the decision correct? Or was it a poor decision? Or was it a correct decision that was also poor? 🤷🏻

1 hour ago, Devils@Dusk said:

But why should he stay there and put up with being abused? That isn't what he's paid for. Maybe he should've just red carded everyone that was giving him lip (or would that have been ridiculous too?). Let's face it, (some) people would've moaned no matter what decision the ref made.

Personally, if you're going to act like a twonk, you should suffer the consequences (or as they say on Youtube, "Fudge around, and find out"). 

Had the referee done what you are suggesting you can be almost certain it would have been "his fault for losing control"!! 

2 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

The first half of the issue you've raised is largely irrelevant. If the match referee doesn't turn up, or one isn't appointed then the clubs agree upon a replacement. The replacement has the full powers of a match official for that game, whether they are qualified, to the required level or not, or not qualified at all. 

The main issue in all of this, is that if the appointed referee abandoned the game. That's it, the games over. Anything after that point becomes irrelevant whether a replacement can be sought and agreed upon, or not. The match result would still be A-A. 

The management committee, in accordance with the competition rules will dictate what happens now.

thats what i said? 

i'm glad he walked off to be honest, i didnt mind being out of pocket and having to go as i turned up hoping to watch a decent game of football only for that to turn into an absolute barrage of abuse towards the referee from mostly those who havent got a clue what they were talking about, and, letting their own emotions take over their gobs!

Penryn have an issue, in both teams, in the club, and i hope they are dealt with accordingly!!!!

31 minutes ago, Sijames said:

thats what i said? 

I was simply clarifying (not disagreeing) that the main issue was that the match was abandoned and as Steve has said would have lead to potential sanctions for both teams for continuing the game.

I was in disagreement with the the 1st point which you described as half the issue  because there are times where, legitimately, a non-qualified person can referee (or take over from a referee) a match.

There was only ever one issue with continuing the game and that was the appointed referee had declared it abandoned.

14 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

I was simply clarifying (not disagreeing) that the main issue was that the match was abandoned and as Steve has said would have lead to potential sanctions for both teams for continuing the game.

I was in disagreement with the the 1st point which you described as half the issue  because there are times where, legitimately, a non-qualified person can referee (or take over from a referee) a match.

There was only ever one issue with continuing the game and that was the appointed referee had declared it abandoned.

at ANY level?

57 minutes ago, Sijames said:

at ANY level?

Outside of the National League Structure, yes. 

The Standard Code of Rules states:

"In cases where there are no officially appointed Match Officials in attendance, the Clubs shall 
agree upon a referee. An individual thus agreed upon shall, for that Competition Match, have 
the full powers, status and authority of a registered referee. Individuals under the age of 16 
must not participate either as a referee or assistant referee in any Competition Match."

National league structure is slightly different in that a replacement has to be suitable to the match referee, or senior assistant if the match referee doesn't turn up. But it does say that they have full powers of a match official. Step 6 you'd probably accept a club assistant. Step 3 and 4 you'd be looking for minimum at least done the course. However, the difference being that in NLS if no replacement available the game continues under the control of the remaining officials.

25 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Outside of the National League Structure, yes. 

The Standard Code of Rules states:

"In cases where there are no officially appointed Match Officials in attendance, the Clubs shall 
agree upon a referee. An individual thus agreed upon shall, for that Competition Match, have 
the full powers, status and authority of a registered referee. Individuals under the age of 16 
must not participate either as a referee or assistant referee in any Competition Match."

National league structure is slightly different in that a replacement has to be suitable to the match referee, or senior assistant if the match referee doesn't turn up. But it does say that they have full powers of a match official. Step 6 you'd probably accept a club assistant. Step 3 and 4 you'd be looking for minimum at least done the course. However, the difference being that in NLS if no replacement available the game continues under the control of the remaining officials.

ok, so the game is abandoned at HT like this one, who then at the ground has all of that information to make the correct and informed call? both managers, part time voluntary grassroots football coaches? on the back of an abandonment, its not the way things should be done in this situation i am afraid and certainly not a position any referee would want to be thrown into! if you're going to go onto say that 'the two clubs should have someone present who would know the ins and outs of these laws', equally they should also know that once its abandoned its abandoned, end of!

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

ok, so the game is abandoned at HT like this one, who then at the ground has all of that information to make the correct and informed call? both managers, part time voluntary grassroots football coaches? on the back of an abandonment, its not the way things should be done in this situation i am afraid and certainly not a position any referee would want to be thrown into! if you're going to go onto say that 'the two clubs should have someone present who would know the ins and outs of these laws', equally they should also know that once its abandoned its abandoned, end of!

Each club secretary will have an understanding of the competition rules. This governs all aspects of competing in the competition such as player registrations, eligibility, administration fees, fines etc. and these rules are standardised across grassroots football and are easily accessible online. Important to note that these are separate from the laws of the game. Some laws are modifiable by competition rules for example number of substitutes allowed. 

So clubs should know what to do, or know where to refer to, in the event of no referee being appointed or the match officials not attending his/her appointment. Failing that they can of course seek help from the relevant league and county FA officers. 

As in this case, the two clubs were unsure if they could/should continue the game under the control of another person so they sought advise from the league who provided them with the correct information that the game should not continue. 

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

If it was as easy as you imply Dave then everyone would take up the whistle and the game would never be short of ref's! We are not robots, who is to say what a referee is going through personally on the day of any given game? What you could laugh about or brush off one week, may not be the same a week later! A lot of players we speak with after a game in general conversation say "I could never be a ref and do what you do" there are quite a few reasons that they say this.....most of them relate back to the behaviour of the players!!

23 hours ago, BryJayLew said:

If it was as easy as you imply Dave then everyone would take up the whistle and the game would never be short of ref's! 

No one said it's easy but surely situations can be made easier.

It may have happened of course, but if the ref arrived at the game in a shitty mood, I hope he approached both sets of managers to have a chat with them and advise that he wasn't up for any aggro on the night.

Most people have work during the day, some can be in high-pressured positions, and an evening match can relieve the pressure of the day job.

Sorry but if the pre-match approach didn't work, well one has to go back to the tools of the trade and apply them.   

On 21/03/2024 at 09:06, Dave Deacon said:

You are correct what a ridiculous statement to make.

On 22/03/2024 at 18:11, Dave Deacon said:

No one said it's easy but surely situations can be made easier.

It may have happened of course, but if the ref arrived at the game in a shitty mood, I hope he approached both sets of managers to have a chat with them and advise that he wasn't up for any aggro on the night.

Most people have work during the day, some can be in high-pressured positions, and an evening match can relieve the pressure of the day job.

Sorry but if the pre-match approach didn't work, well one has to go back to the tools of the trade and apply them.   

What if the referee arrived in a great mood, looking forward to the game?

Then player behaviour turns it into an experience that was wholly unenjoyable?

Yes, the referee has sin bins and red cards at their disposal but these don't always work. It's a double edged sword.

Ultimately, if the players concentrated on playing and allowed the referee to concentrate on refereeing we wouldn't have problems would we?

Refs have tools and I bet this referee used some of them and almost certainly issued warnings. Personally I applaud this referee. Well done. Finally there is a referee who is brave/big enough to make an example of teams that are not behaving in the correct manner. I spoke to a few people who were at this game and they said the referee actually had a decent first half. But the relentless shouting, goading and appealing was absolutely over the top. One person I spoke to took their kids and said they won't be doing that again. I wish more refs would do this because I do get frustrated with behaviour towards eachother and that's not just at referees. 

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

Of course a player is going to say that especially an Illogan one they are just as bad as penryn for how they talk to refs.i watched illogan once and that was enough for me

Purely emphasising that it’s curious how we all see different games! 😀👍

This is becoming a cult phenom throughout grassroots and sadly, it is all too common for people to try and normalise what is in no uncertain terms, pure toxicity and thuggery.

The fact people try and gloss over it as "two teams giving their all on the pitch" actually transpires to 22 jacked up neanderthals who wouldn't hesitate in seriously injuring somebody purely based on the fact they wear a different colour shirt, and the man in the middle happens to be collateral in the crossfire of a deluge of abuse and borderline assault.

I'd have thought this county would have learned a very valuable lesson after what happened at Bude, but then again people will tie their colours to the mast and use buzzwords like "desire" and "competitive" to guise over truly abhorrent behaviour. Total scum the lot of em!

38 minutes ago, Martin Eddy said:

Should have said a newly qualified ref Dave, to take a game at St. Pirans west they must of had at least 2 seasons under their belt, I would have thought 

Shouldn’t make any difference apart from experience.  Whether you are at the bottom or at the top of the referee ladder, you know the laws so apply them accordingly. 

having looked at who the referee was, it must have been bad as he’s a strong character and one who has played before. 

20 hours ago, St Darren said:

Shouldn’t make any difference apart from experience.  Whether you are at the bottom or at the top of the referee ladder, you know the laws so apply them accordingly. 

If refereeing were as simple as applying the laws it'd be the easiest job in the world.

You've overlooked the elements of man management, communication, fitness, positioning, work rate, empathy and understanding of the game.

If you think it's as simple as reading a book then I'd encourage you give it a go. 

However, we all know you won't as you're quite happy hiding behind a keyboard bashing referees on this forum.

1 hour ago, FootballChat said:

If refereeing were as simple as applying the laws it'd be the easiest job in the world.

You've overlooked the elements of man management, communication, fitness, positioning, work rate, empathy and understanding of the game.

If you think it's as simple as reading a book then I'd encourage you give it a go. 

However, we all know you won't as you're quite happy hiding behind a keyboard bashing referees on this forum.

Most people know who I am so I’m not hiding behind anything.

I’ve merely stated that a referee should be able to apply the laws.  Should they do so correctly and players still complain and moan then they can use their cards and authority to sort it out.  If they still continue then I’d stand with any referee who chooses to leave the field.

As for “give it a go”. I referred a kids game and quite enjoyed it actually. But I don’t want to be a referee!

You mentioned “understanding of the game”.  You only have to look at premier league referees to know that this doesn’t happen

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

they still continue then I’d stand with any referee who chooses to leave the field.

Really has to be last resort hasn’t it?

I don’t know if the ref tried in the situation that sparked this debate, but I wonder if the players were taken off the pitch to try and calm things down at all. Perhaps someone who was there can confirm either way please.

Do referees consider refereeing to be a job or a part-time hobby ? As many people who start new job’s or new part-time hobbies, either don’t enjoy it or are no good at it, and unashamedly move onto something else they enjoy.

Why don’t you try it, if you can do better ? is often banded around by referee’s, but the question should be, why don’t you want to a be referee ? However, I firmly believe that the standard of refereeing is the best it’s ever been in local football since my early playing days in the early 1980’s i.e. less quantity, but more quality. 

2 hours ago, TomTom said:

How many St Pirans games you reffed? 🤔 

None.  But a game of football is a game of football.  A game in that league should be refereed no different than a game in division 3.  

I’ve reffed one game of kids football and quite enjoyed it whilst also being pissed off with some of the attitudes of the kids. 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

None.  But a game of football is a game of football.  A game in that league should be refereed no different than a game in division 3.  

I’ve reffed one game of kids football and quite enjoyed it whilst also being pissed off with some of the attitudes of the kids. 

Ah you've got it then. Referee issues solved 😂😂

On 25/03/2024 at 20:00, St Darren said:

This is an extremely naïve view But considering you have a whole thread bashing referees on a weekly basis your view is not one that I take much notice of.the similarity between kids and at pitan football and the premiwr league and local football are not comparable I actually think the stabdard of refereeing is good in cornwall yet tye standard of the the actual football appears to be declining.maybe instead of asking what the ref could have done differently, what could the players do differently?what could their managers have done differently? More refs need to walk off the pitch. At this level, even the highest we have in Cornwall (mousehole) it's a poor standard and it's a hobby for referees who if I'm not mistaken are not salaried and can choose whether they want to ref or not. That's a hobby and all they want I'm sure is to enjoy the game and go home with a few quid to treat the wife/partner/self to a takeaway 

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

This is an extremely naïve view But considering you have a whole thread bashing referees on a weekly basis your view is not one that I take much notice of.the similarity between kids and at pitan football and the premiwr league and local football are not comparable I actually think the stabdard of refereeing is good in cornwall yet tye standard of the the actual football appears to be declining.maybe instead of asking what the ref could have done differently, what could the players do differently?what could their managers have done differently? More refs need to walk off the pitch. At this level, even the highest we have in Cornwall (mousehole) it's a poor standard and it's a hobby for referees who if I'm not mistaken are not salaried and can choose whether they want to ref or not. That's a hobby and all they want I'm sure is to enjoy the game and go home with a few quid to treat the wife/partner/self to a takeaway 

Just a quick question.  Are the laws of football the same at St Pirans level and Professional level?

appreciate that kids games do have different laws but the fundamentals are still the same. 

as for the other thread, the fact that there are so many posts, mainly by me, simply highlights the poor refereeing at premier league level.  These referees are in salaries of over £100k a year, have about 6 assistants to help get decisions correct, and they still get stuff wrong

The rules are the same across all football so again the comparison between kids and youth is irrelevant and not a valid argument.league rules are different but not the rules that govern football. Compared to players and managers etc do you think £100k is remotely good?when you look at the rest of the footballers at the elite level they earn this in two days.

7 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

The rules are the same across all football so again the comparison between kids and youth is irrelevant and not a valid argument.league rules are different but not the rules that govern football. Compared to players and managers etc do you think £100k is remotely good?when you look at the rest of the footballers at the elite level they earn this in two days.

Not strictly true. In kids football below the age of 11 they have to retreat at goal kicks. 

£100k plus for a role is decent money isn’t it? Unless you’re a Tory!  Baring in mind that there isn’t a great deal of punishment for not doing your job correctly.  If there was, Stuart Atwell would have been out if a job years ago for giving a ghost goal at Watford v Reading. If you’re unaware of it, have a look. 

this is about a ref at St pirans level, as I’ve stated, a referee should never be subjected to a level of criticism / abuse (we are unaware of the facts) that leads to a game being abandoned