Cornwall Football Forum

Rumours that Sticker have parted way with Manager?

I believe your correct there Chunkycheese.

I think personally as a supporter it’s probably the correct decision. Steve is a great coach and has picked up some decent results over the years with Sticker.

But ultimately the clubs lack of ambition to support the team has cost Steve his job. Pep couldn’t keep this seasons squad out of the bottom 2.

A massive overhaul required to get Sticker anywhere near competitive at this level. I would imagine Alfie will depart now also who is probably the only person in the current squad that has the ability at this level.

Can Sticker attract anyone better than Steve? I hope so.

Great club and one I admire but surely now positive comments about the team rather than facilities should be the priority.

Good luck to whoever takes over. 

It’s a tough one. The club certainly don’t lack ambition off the pitch with regards the facilities. But the club certainly lack ambition on the pitch,however saying that the 10/20 per player is still a lot to find over a season for a one shop one pub village side so I really don’t know the answer I am afraid. 
Personally Sticker should be playing in the Kernow league and not the swpl that the level they would be competitive in.

5 minutes ago, winston said:

Im hearing potential loss of one of there teams in order for some more consolidation as part of this departure 

Their reserve team? Do they not play in the league below? I just don’t see what good getting rid of Stevie Flack (and his talented boy) at this stage of the year does to benefit anyone 

The way we read the club statement it appears that Steve Flack stepped down rather than the club dismissing him, which is unsurprising after 4 years doing his best for the club without any success coming his way.
Lack of ambition on the pitch has been suggested, but can anyone truthfully say that Sticker would be an asset or even survive if they were ever promoted to the Western League having paid out a lot of money to players to get them there.
If the answer is no then the following question applies to several other clubs in the league, Is it worth paying a substantial amount of money to players each season just to stay in the league and win little or more often nothing.?

Sticker is a really well run local club that has to put financial stability above everything else due to location and income generated on Matchday and from local sponsors, they have excellent facilities now so have utilised funding and worked hard behind the scenes so that work is done with a view to adding to that over time.

Steve has done a good job over 4 seasons with limited resources but what price do you put on ambition on the field, many clubs are paying vastly over inflated fees for players these days and loyalty only stretches so far as money talks sadly.

Building a young squad and developing potential through the Res and the link with Charlestown youth creating a pathway for transition to the adult game is where the club maybe is currently and that can work but takes time, this is reflected in the mixed bag of results currently.

Longer term if another step 5 league is created locally then the clubs ambition could change over time as always good to create a longer term balanced financial strategy and on field plan as that alone shows the clubs vision and direction which could attract more ambitious players and management.

I guess no one knows what the future holds as the volunteers aren't getting any younger with no new and younger people coming through at many clubs. so never easy running a grassroots club

I for one enjoy my visits to the ground as the volunteers there are a top bunch who all care and I'm sure they will continue to do their best for the club😃👍

Such a shame to hear this about Sticker they are a fine club lovely pitch lovely people there and i cannot see how the team is always struggling they got some really good players but something is wrong there somewhere they just dont perform well enough on the pitch i saw them vs Wendron earlier in the season and where playing very well but as soon as Wendron scored there heads dropped and they just gave up . 

Hope they give Newquay a decent game this weekend but the way Newquay are playing i fear it could be a hammering like they handed out to Dartmouth last Saturday .

I can see more clubs struggling Bude 1 of them i think they have been paying out big bucks to players like River Allen and Gabby Rogers but now the money is not around players are leaving where has Tornado gone 

24 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Such a shame to hear this about Sticker they are a fine club lovely pitch lovely people there and i cannot see how the team is always struggling they got some really good players but something is wrong there somewhere they just dont perform well enough on the pitch i saw them vs Wendron earlier in the season and where playing very well but as soon as Wendron scored there heads dropped and they just gave up . 

Hope they give Newquay a decent game this weekend but the way Newquay are playing i fear it could be a hammering like they handed out to Dartmouth last Saturday .

I can see more clubs struggling Bude 1 of them i think they have been paying out big bucks to players like River Allen and Gabby Rogers but now the money is not around players are leaving where has Tornado gone 

Neil Warnock for the job Steve ????

15 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

It seems sticker have gambled- with the team in very poor form, St Dennis improving, and Flack junior surely leaving it seems a bold move 

is it true cox/nancarrow were Steve’s coaches? 

Very odd decision not to bring in new management 

I'm sure the club will be on the lookout for a new management team. They would probably be very pleased to have suggestions on who might be available and suitably qualified, at this moment in time. 

14 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

Very odd decision not to bring in new management 

There won;t be a llong queue to manage the side unless policy changes allow a large wage bill, something that this club might find very difficult to manage.

If Cox and Nancarrow are the existing coaches at the club they must at least understand the way the club works and should be afforded the opportunity to show their worth before there's a clamour to replace them with Neil Warnock or similar!.
Maybe they can also introduce a very important aspect of the game, namely tactics, somethibg that in the few games that we have watched Sticker, has been sadly lacking.
There's a big difference in coaching a player to play the game, and managing a team that needs to use tactics to nullify the opposition.

On 01/12/2023 at 07:59, We Two said:

There's a big difference in coaching a player to play the game, and managing a team that needs to use tactics to nullify the opposition.

Richie Nancarrow stated in his interview how he had noted Newquays danger men when Sticker played at Newquay and deployed players to try and nullify their threat.
I expect he did likewise against Dobwalls who they have already played against this season, if so it proves the point we made in the above comment, it doesn't guarantee winning, but it certainly offers a better chance of upsetting the form book.

Hopefully the old school manager (from my day) makes a come back. Every man and his dog wants to be some form of coach now. This gent obviously looks at his opponent and is a man motivator. I assume from listening they train once a week, for maybe an hour, so the cones and youtube sessions can go in the bin. Keep fighting the good fight Richard.

• 2 weeks later...