Cornwall Football Forum

Striker signing for Town

33 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Should they have tried all three occasionally? Would that have helped?

Reconfiguring sides to keep 1 player happy rarely works. One of the challenges of being a football manager I'm afraid. Everybody says that you need a strong squad with plentiful cover in each position if you're going to be successful, but you are always going to end up with unhappy players who aren't getting time on the pitch.  Presumably Helston are now going to be looking to bring another forward in to maintain squad depth.

18 minutes ago, le boss said:

Won’t have come cheap then. Some money at Bickland obviously. Oh, and another local player to keep up the Black and Amber principles 🤣🤣🤣

Falmouth have the highest average attendances in the Western League by quite a distance, so I guess that this would translate into a decent playing budget.

14 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Pretty local I would say for Western League football  -South coast Towns St.Austell to Falmouth 18miles

Most of the gate money has gone into ground improvements looking at recent pictures-I guess.

Think you’ll find that the gospel according to the F Troop was that it was a team made of Falmouth boys and other clubs were wrong to do otherwise. Nice to see the old run down ground getting the TLC it deserves. Money from cup competitions certainly helps local clubs….

22 minutes ago, le boss said:

Think you’ll find that the gospel according to the F Troop was that it was a team made of Falmouth boys and other clubs were wrong to do otherwise. Nice to see the old run down ground getting the TLC it deserves. Money from cup competitions certainly helps local clubs….

Mind you-Moneyfields had a consolation with all expenses covered

5 hours ago, le boss said:

Won’t have come cheap then. Some money at Bickland obviously. Oh, and another local player to keep up the Black and Amber principles 🤣🤣🤣

Calm down ! Bash .

I know it must be hard to lose a player to your local rivals,but a player of Rubins ability is wasted on the bench .Is that the fault of the manager or the director of football,ie He who pays the piper,calls the tune.

It's a fantastic signing by Westy and a fantastic addition to an already talented young squad and the F troop will welcome him with open arms.we can't wait to see him in action at street on Saturday.

Oh and by the way ,if you look on the Town website page announcing his arrival,he literally says why he wanted to come to town.:yahoo:

12 hours ago, mattelot said:

Oh and by the way ,if you look on the Town website page announcing his arrival,he literally says why he wanted to come to town.:yahoo:

I don't disagree and I'm sure Rubin is really looking forward to the move, a big crowd week in/out will be a lure for a player. However... some of the quotes do make me chuckle, especially when quoted from a Club account/website. I've definitely seen some player quotes that seem awfully generic and almost generated by the Club itself.

1 hour ago, Dane said:

Obviously had Rubin at Saltash so know exactly what he can do, hard to keep strikers happy when you have too many, Good signing for Falmouth, 

One concern would be that he doesn't seem to stick around too long with clubs. Think he had a short spell with Bideford and then Bodmin, before joining Helston.

56 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

One concern would be that he doesn't seem to stick around too long with clubs. Think he had a short spell with Bideford and then Bodmin, before joining Helston.

If he's 22, I don't see that many clubs being an issue. Just provide him with somewhere he wants to stay, and ultimately somewhere he'll play regularly. Players are as loyal as the managers are to those said players, but the latter don't get the same stick for it. Players want to play in competitive sides, providing the XI includes them. Managers want the same competitive side, and if an "upgrade" becomes available, they go for it.

23 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

If he's 22, I don't see that many clubs being an issue. Just provide him with somewhere he wants to stay, and ultimately somewhere he'll play regularly. Players are as loyal as the managers are to those said players, but the latter don't get the same stick for it. Players want to play in competitive sides, providing the XI includes them. Managers want the same competitive side, and if an "upgrade" becomes available, they go for it.

Good points. My impression of this Falmouth side under Andy Westgarth is that it's a pretty settled squad. Doesn't appear to have been much of a churn in the past few seasons.

29 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Good points. My impression of this Falmouth side under Andy Westgarth is that it's a pretty settled squad. Doesn't appear to have been much of a churn in the past few seasons.

That's been the outside in view for a while now. That takes some doing so credit is worthy. In this case maybe the right club for him to become settled.

6 hours ago, Dane said:

Obviously had Rubin at Saltash so know exactly what he can do, hard to keep strikers happy when you have too many, Good signing for Falmouth, 

Yes, and you didnt start that often with him, and if that you did you would hook him off.

Another striker who wants six chances to score one.