Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 9 August 2023

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 9 August 2023

Was at the Sticker v St Austell game this evening and question for the referees really.... St Austell's fourth goal came courtesy of a penalty awarded for George Marris' run being blocked. I've nothing against the penalty being awarded although some might say it was a little harsh, but my question is why did the offender have to be yellow carded?

I wouldn't say if George had gone passed the defender it was a stone hard goal scoring opportunity, there was still possibly work for the attacker to do for that, and so, why the need for the card? Worse tackles went on outside of the area and no cards were shown!

Surely the penalty award is punishment enough.

Or perhaps St Austell looked good? Compare the budget of both clubs and come up with a more realistic observation. Second half was 0-0 until a very soft penalty awarded by the ref. What did you expect to see with Sticker playing a very young side compared to St Austell with Carter, Brokes, Slates, Eddy? Need I go on? The league will be won again by teams paying the most money, end of.

Totally agree Dave Deacon. George Marris ran into the Sticker player. Soft penalty no card necessary. Ref had an easy game tonight played in the right spirit and obviously struggled to see the incident with the fog that came in second half.

St Austell a very well assembled side. Strong and experienced all over the pitch. Looking like a long tough year for Sticker. Hardly recognised any of their players apart fromAlfie Flack (once of Helston)- seemed a totally new team 

A real miss match and not much of a local derby. Looked like a pre season game. St Austell played in first gear 

4 hours ago, Thatfootieguy said:

What happened to be kind, Dave?

No suggestion in my comment that there was anything wrong with so many free kicks. I just thought there were a lot and perhaps the players could have reduced their enthusiasm a little for getting the ball first!

Sorry Thatfootieguy but who am I being unkind towards? 

Why on earth are we talking about the officials again?

In a game where the away side were 3 nil up and cruising, the penalty has had zero impact on the game. 

Agree or disagree I guarantee the referee made less mistakes than both sides. Are we talking about poor first touches? Misplaced passes? Poor positioning? Poor decisions from players?

No we're not. Can we PLEASE focus on talking about football rather than focusing on whether the referee had to show a yellow card or not?

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Was at the Sticker v St Austell game this evening and question for the referees really.... St Austell's fourth goal came courtesy of a penalty awarded for George Marris' run being blocked. I've nothing against the penalty being awarded although some might say it was a little harsh, but my question is why did the offender have to be yellow carded?

I wouldn't say if George had gone passed the defender it was a stone hard goal scoring opportunity, there was still possibly work for the attacker to do for that, and so, why the need for the card? Worse tackles went on outside of the area and no cards were shown!

Bude had the same Tuesday player tackled inside the box awarded a penalty and a red card didn’t think you could be punished for both ??I thought a penalty was enough punishment 

Sticker will be absolutely fine this season and will compete against at least half of the league, last night was always going to be difficult but I felt they worked really hard and will learn and get better from this experience. St austell look really good though and will be right up there this season. 
Sticker have always been a feeder club and the management do an exceptional job developing the local youngsters. I understand they have lost their most exciting youngster Chapman to Wadebridge ? 
If this is the case that’s a big loss for us and a great addition to Wadebridge. Can anyone confirm ? 
Anyway apart from the result it was a great night and have to say the pitch and surroundings at Sticker is an absolute credit to the club. 
Only 2 games gone and a long season ahead but Sticker will be fine 

46 minutes ago, Seasiders said:

Bude had the same Tuesday player tackled inside the box awarded a penalty and a red card didn’t think you could be punished for both ??I thought a penalty was enough punishment 

Denial of an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity is a yellow card if a penalty is awarded and the offence was a an attempt or challenge for the ball. 

In all other circumstances such as pushing, pulling, or no opportunity to play the ball the offender is still sent off.

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Without a video of the challenge very difficult for anyone to offer an opinion. 

For stone hard goal scoring opportunity, or to put it in the language of the rules an "obvious goal scoring opportunity" the referee has to consider 4 things. 

Distance to goal

Direction of play (generally towards the goal) 

Number of defenders 

Control of the ball or likelihood to regain control

Alternatively the referee may have viewed the challenge as reckless (i.e. shows disregard to the danger to or consequence for the opponent) which is a yellow card offence.

If the offence was stopping a promising attack, the same principles apply to that as they do a denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity in that it is only downgraded to no sanction where the offence was an attempt or challenge for the ball.

Other possibility is persistent offending, in which the severity of the foul has no bearing but the number of times the player has offended over a period of time

1 hour ago, Seasiders said:

So it's free reign to tackle how you like in the area? No red cards needed if you give a penalty?

In terms of denying a goal scoring opportunity then this is downgraded to a yellow if the tackle was a genuine attempt to play/challenge for the ball. But serious foul play is still a red card. As is a shirt pull etc (not an attempt on the ball/challenge)

29 minutes ago, justanopinion said:

Good to get a constructive reply from the opinion of the ref. That is all Dave Deacon was asking for I believe and the explanation backs up the fact that the yellow was unnecessary. St Austell player ran into defender. Nobody is slating the ref but he probably got that one wrong.

My point is that we're talking 1 potential mistake from the referee and ignoring the hundreds of mistakes made by players in every game. 

A side note, law 5 states that all decisions are made "in the opinion of the referee". If the referee on the night was of the opinion that the challenge was worthy of a yellow card then that decision is supportable in law.

1 hour ago, Thomas mcabe said:

Sticker will be absolutely fine this season and will compete against at least half of the league, last night was always going to be difficult but I felt they worked really hard and will learn and get better from this experience. St austell look really good though and will be right up there this season. 
Sticker have always been a feeder club and the management do an exceptional job developing the local youngsters. I understand they have lost their most exciting youngster Chapman to Wadebridge ? 
If this is the case that’s a big loss for us and a great addition to Wadebridge. Can anyone confirm ? 
Anyway apart from the result it was a great night and have to say the pitch and surroundings at Sticker is an absolute credit to the club. 
Only 2 games gone and a long season ahead but Sticker will be fine 

Thomas are you a Sticker supporter/involved in the club? 

I cannot understand why Sticker cannot attract players with the ground and facilities they have- Foxhole and St Dennis have players who would greatly improve them. Where is the excellent stalwart Avery? Is he still at the club? 

Beat by 4 goals by Mullion (who were beat 4 by Penzance 🫣

I thought Haiden turned down Liskeard earlier in the year to stay loyal to the club? 

So in short a little bit of cynical play in blocking a runner into the box? 

Probably at 3-0 down a yellow wouldn’t have to be given, but referee well within rights 

I think double jeopardy rule only relates to sendings off and giving a penalty 

Probably worth a defender going for a few more last ditch tackle than in the past 

51 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

A side note, law 5 states that all decisions are made "in the opinion of the referee". If the referee on the night was of the opinion that the challenge was worthy of a yellow card then that decision is supportable in law.

A side note to your side note, if I may, is that you need to add to that statement of "in the opinion of the referee" and finish the full sentence which concludes "within the framework of the laws". 

The referee's opinion should also to lead to a correct outcome in law. For example if the referee's opinion was that the player stopped a promising attack, but it was a challenge or attempt for the ball and the outcome was a penalty awarded, then the decision to caution would not be supportable in law and would lead to development in an observers report (for those non referees this would negatively impact the overall mark). 

A referee's opinion could be wrong however if we continue on in the same vane and carry on with this section, it also follows on to say "decisions of the referee must be respected." And that applies to correct and incorrect decisions.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think on this occasion Sticker have been slagged off a lot more than the referee!

Not by you. You've highlighted 1 potential error in 90+ minutes of football from a referee yet no mention of how the other 3 goals came about?

Were they all 30 yard screamers that nobody could do anything about or were some defensive errors?

Did EVERY pass hit its intended mark? Was EVERY tackle perfectly timed?

It's clear, over a number of years, that you don't like referees Dave. Times are changing and now is the time to start turning this criticism back onto other participants involved in football rather than criticising ONE decision that the referee may or may not have got wrong.

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

No suggestion in my comment that there was anything wrong with so many free kicks. I just thought there were a lot and perhaps the players could have reduced their enthusiasm a little for getting the ball first!

Sorry Thatfootieguy but who am I being unkind towards? 

I just find it odd you highlight one decision from the referee, as opposed to Sticker being drummed 4-0. 

Well done to many who predicted the correct score in the prediction league. It was therefore no surprise and being drummed is a strange way to describe the game. As already mentioned, when you have the quality and experience of Carter, Eddy, Slates, Brokes, then you raid Newquay for 3 excellent players, add in the Duff, Miller, Whipp, Thomas. The 2 teams playing last night, it was never going to be a shock result. That would be my summary.

2 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

Thomas are you a Sticker supporter/involved in the club? 

I cannot understand why Sticker cannot attract players with the ground and facilities they have- Foxhole and St Dennis have players who would greatly improve them. Where is the excellent stalwart Avery? Is he still at the club? 

Beat by 4 goals by Mullion (who were beat 4 by Penzance 🫣

I thought Haiden turned down Liskeard earlier in the year to stay loyal to the club? 

So in short a little bit of cynical play in blocking a runner into the box? 

Probably at 3-0 down a yellow wouldn’t have to be given, but referee well within rights 

I think double jeopardy rule only relates to sendings off and giving a penalty 

Probably worth a defender going for a few more last ditch tackle than in the past 

I am just a supporter that try’s to watch sticker when possible. 
Not sure why other players are not keen to come over as I agree the facilities and club are very good. 
I was surprised to learn of Haiden leaving but they have other decent players to step in up front. 
Like I said Sticker will be fine this season given time. Launceston and their young side lost I think the first 6:7 matches last season and finished well. 

16 hours ago, justanopinion said:

Furthermore, I'm sure St Austell would liked to have scored more (that was the message from the bench) but they didn't !

If St Austell win promotion where will the likes of Brokenshire Eddy and Slateford go? Or are they too old to worry about it? Good players that under achieved do to lack of ambition presumably

I don’t think it’s fair to say like of ambition. 

to play in the western league you need to be willing to commit a hell of a lot of time for travel, for very little reward in terms of expense. Why do all that for an extra £30 to go to places like Millbrook! 

Some people forget that players have careers, families and lives outside of the bubble of Cornish football 

Good Afternoon all 

I’m 1 of the 1st Team Coaches at sticker 1st team and I welcome all your comments good or Bad, but aim them at us the managers and coach’s and please don’t single any off my young lads out, regardless if they played Badly, that’s our job.

we at sticker are without a doubt going to have a tough season, as are any team not finishing in the top 1/2 of the table, and some just a bit more just below that 

we’re a very young side with 2/3 older lads to steady the ship. With youth comes mistakes and errors (which we will own) 

I have no problem in saying last night I watched a St Austell team that will probably compete for this years title, and best of luck to them.

we lost 0-4 take away a deflection that caught everyone out and a swinging leg that cost a pen (rightly given) we lost   0-2 to arguably 1 of the best teams in the SWPL. Lots of ifs and buts I know but reducing errors is 1 of our main goals this year.

thanks to @Thomas mcabe for your continued support, it’s not gone unnoticed 

lots of work is being put into this team to try and compete at a mid Table level, but it will take time, please come and support the lads, In courage them and motivate them, but most of all give them the respect they deserve to step up and play the highest standard they can at a young age, 

yours 

Richard Nancarrow 

45 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say like of ambition. 

to play in the western league you need to be willing to commit a hell of a lot of time for travel, for very little reward in terms of expense. Why do all that for an extra £30 to go to places like Millbrook! 

Some people forget that players have careers, families and lives outside of the bubble of Cornish 

Every amateur has a family and a career outside of the sport they play so surely it must be lack of ambition. Still prepared to take the Cornish £ Why any club pay in this league baffles me the standard is appalling. If you want to play for fun play Sunday mornings.

28 minutes ago, Richie Nankz said:

Good Afternoon all 

I’m 1 of the 1st Team Coaches at sticker 1st team and I welcome all your comments good or Bad, but aim them at us the managers and coach’s and please don’t single any off my young lads out, regardless if they played Badly, that’s our job.

we at sticker are without a doubt going to have a tough season, as are any team not finishing in the top 1/2 of the table, and some just a bit more just below that 

we’re a very young side with 2/3 older lads to steady the ship. With youth comes mistakes and errors (which we will own) 

I have no problem in saying last night I watched a St Austell team that will probably compete for this years title, and best of luck to them.

we lost 0-4 take away a deflection that caught everyone out and a swinging leg that cost a pen (rightly given) we lost   0-2 to arguably 1 of the best teams in the SWPL. Lots of ifs and buts I know but reducing errors is 1 of our main goals this year.

thanks to @Thomas mcabe for your continued support, it’s not gone unnoticed 

lots of work is being put into this team to try and compete at a mid Table level, but it will take time, please come and support the lads, In courage them and motivate them, but most of all give them the respect they deserve to step up and play the highest standard they can at a young age, 

yours 

Richard Nancarrow 

No one has criticised any player- as a team however they look one of the weakest in the league- I think Mullion beat them convincingly the week previous? This is a forum for debating teams and no malice intended, but it is men’s football. 

One for the management- Why can’t Sticker seem to attract decent players anymore?
Players playing for St Dennis/Foxhole who would improve the team? The club have fantastic facilities. Has Haiden left for Wadebridge? 

Avery would make a difference with his leadership- I watched the reserves in pre season and they looked to have some very good players. 

8 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Every amateur has a family and a career outside of the sport they play so surely it must be lack of ambition. Still prepared to take the Cornish £ Why any club pay in this league baffles me the standard is appalling. If you want to play for fun play Sunday mornings.

Not every amateur footballer lives in the the dutchy where an away trip can be a 6 hour round trip. 

Appalling? I disagree completely. These are the best players ever had, 

More clubs further up the pyramid than ever, players fitter and stronger than ever and certainly more professional. 

The days of players drinking the night before the game long gone. 

I fear you have some rose tinted glasses on of the past when teams refused to get promoted 

All I'm saying is test yourself at the highest level you can instead of messing around in the same league year in year out. Purely my opinion, Nobody travels on a horse and cart anymore. Cornish ladies do it bowls teams do it Cornwall men's dart team travel all over the country and are away Saturday and Sunday,it's called commitment  not that difficult really.

8 minutes ago, hoppit said:

All I'm saying is test yourself at the highest level you can instead of messing around in the same league year in year out. Purely my opinion, Nobody travels on a horse and cart anymore. Cornish ladies do it bowls teams do it Cornwall men's dart team travel all over the country and are away Saturday and Sunday,it's called commitment  not that difficult really.

You cannot compare football with darts and bowls. They need to travel that far for someone to play. There’s also probably some kudos with being the best in county 

Hoppit, unsure if you were a player? But going to Bristol mid week and not getting home until after midnight fun for no one 

I am sure a young’s version of the old St Blazey brigade would. Most of them early to mid 30s. Why not let them enjoy their last few years locally 

1 hour ago, Chunkycheese said:

No one has criticised any player- as a team however they look one of the weakest in the league- I think Mullion beat them convincingly the week previous? This is a forum for debating teams and no malice intended, but it is men’s football. 

One for the management- Why can’t Sticker seem to attract decent players anymore?
Players playing for St Dennis/Foxhole who would improve the team? The club have fantastic facilities. Has Haiden left for Wadebridge? 

Avery would make a difference with his leadership- I watched the reserves in pre season and they looked to have some very good players. 

Not every amateur footballer lives in the the dutchy where an away trip can be a 6 hour round trip. 

Appalling? I disagree completely. These are the best players ever had, 

More clubs further up the pyramid than ever, players fitter and stronger than ever and certainly more professional. 

The days of players drinking the night before the game long gone. 

I fear you have some rose tinted glasses on of the past when teams refused to get promoted 

Mate.....I'm really not sure what you are seeing but the "south western" standard now is the worst(ability wise) that it's been for years.(don't agree with appalling though)

This is due to so many teams having/wanting to go up the pyramid.

Also due to less players able to play due to work patterns and also other things in there life (football is no longer the be all and end all of people's lives sadly)

Not saying the games can't still be entertaining and the league is the best ran league there is but to say it's best it's been is ludicrous (although you are still well entitled to your opinion)

I’ve said the exact same in the post about teams going up 

it’s like taking the champions league teams out of the premier league 

I think it is brilliant that we have more teams going up the pyramid 

These are the bestplayers ever had” refers to footballers in the county in general not the SWPL 

Of course if Cornwall kept all the players in the county like they did before it would be better 

It does however irk me when people compare teams from the 80s with teams now 

3 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

I’ve said the exact same in the post about teams going up 

it’s like taking the champions league teams out of the premier league 

I think it is brilliant that we have more teams going up the pyramid 

These are the bestplayers ever had” refers to footballers in the county in general not the SWPL 

Of course if Cornwall kept all the players in the county like they did before it would be better 

It does however irk me when people compare teams from the 80s with teams now 

Fair point

I also do agree with you about older players having more commitments....or at least less passion(maybe not quite the right word)....to be committed enough to travel more

8 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

I cannot understand why Sticker cannot attract players with the ground and facilities they have-

The answer to that is that if past comments about players expectation of monetary rewards are to be believed, is that Sticker have been reported to pay a minimal amount that

actually just about covers players expences.
If this is their policy, the money bandied around on this forum is the most likely reason that signing players is a difficulty.
It may also explain why such a tiny village club can afford to provide the facilities they have which outshine those of several others.
A sobering thought for those paying large amounts of money this season in the hope of winning the Peninsula league, there can only be one winner.
The rest from the top half to the bottom half of the league will only be seperated by their expenditure and reliance on sponsors to continue their existence.
Stay within a budget that you can service independently and football in Cornwall will benefit.
Finally well said Richie Nankz, our contact in Plymouth told us that you have three boys in your club that helped Plymouth Argyle win a national competition.
If correct well done, not all news is bad news.

I think that having great facilities should allow you to attract players, rather than be detrimental to your chances of getting them! 

Plenty of claps on the back for Sticker, however how much longer they can languish around the foot of the table remains to be seen. Their best young player deserted them (Chapman) as will others if they had the chance. 

I just can’t fathom why they can’t attract players- they have never been big spenders, and that their second team have some better players in it like Avery who made the team competitive. Characters if you will 

I remember the days of Llyod, Bowyer and Hopkinson

On results and showings so far (and with 3 potentially getting relegated) it’s looking ominous. The lack of fight last night was something else. 

Hopefully your enthusiasm rubs off on them Richard Nancarrow. 

41 minutes ago, We Two said:

The answer to that is that if past comments about players expectation of monetary rewards are to be believed, is that Sticker have been reported to pay a minimal amount that

actually just about covers players expences.
If this is their policy, the money bandied around on this forum is the most likely reason that signing players is a difficulty.
It may also explain why such a tiny village club can afford to provide the facilities they have which outshine those of several others.
A sobering thought for those paying large amounts of money this season in the hope of winning the Peninsula league, there can only be one winner.
The rest from the top half to the bottom half of the league will only be seperated by their expenditure and reliance on sponsors to continue their existence.
Stay within a budget that you can service independently and football in Cornwall will benefit.
Finally well said Richie Nankz, our contact in Plymouth told us that you have three boys in your club that helped Plymouth Argyle win a national competition.
If correct well done, not all news is bad news.

2222a8b5-b303-430f-8516-fa58028559f3.jpeg

11 hours ago, FootballChat said:

My point is that we're talking 1 potential mistake from the referee and ignoring the hundreds of mistakes made by players in every game. 

The ref is part of the game. Why wouldn’t we discuss his/her performance. Find it really strange that you’d suggest otherwise. Now if the ref was getting called out for being awful or incompetent in someone’s opinion, then absolutely I agree that’s not helpful. That wasn’t the point raised though was it? Or are you suggesting, we can never question a refs decision making. And before you say it, players and management decisions and performances are discussed in dept on here daily/weekly. 

8516565F-5FFB-45FE-ADF5-5D4B62631AD2.thumb.jpeg.f9581fa26f50753475eb60478a87f7d5.jpeg

Talking of not giving young players enough respect….. unfair to blame a young player on your second bottom finish? 

He certainly was your best player. He would be a far better player than anyone who played last night! Was Darren Gilbert not chasing him over the summer ? 

Toothless in attack, couldn’t retain the ball, and some of the defending very poor. 

I would love to know what players are better than him???? 

22 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

They book almost every foul these days Dave

44 minutes ago, The Jam Tart said:

The ref is part of the game. Why wouldn’t we discuss his/her performance. Find it really strange that you’d suggest otherwise. Now if the ref was getting called out for being awful or incompetent in someone’s opinion, then absolutely I agree that’s not helpful. That wasn’t the point raised though was it? Or are you suggesting, we can never question a refs decision making. And before you say it, players and management decisions and performances are discussed in dept on here daily/weekly. 

Think we’re talking about Dave’s apparent targeting of refereeing to be totally honest. 

Who watches a game where a team loses 4-0, and then decides to highlight the referee. Grow up.

1 hour ago, Thatfootieguy said:

Think we’re talking about Dave’s apparent targeting of refereeing to be totally honest. 

Who watches a game where a team loses 4-0, and then decides to highlight the referee. Grow up.

You’ve got it all wrong! I was purely enquiring about the reason behind the situation and the refs decision so that I understand it better for the future.

However I do feel I have the right to have an opinion, as you do too.

11 hours ago, FootballChat said:

It's clear, over a number of years, that you don't like referees Dave.

Really? You know me better than I do! 🤔 Find me a therapist.

8 hours ago, Thatfootieguy said:

Aye all right dry your eyes. No need for the nippyness. Think someone needs a chill pill. 
Or is it a case of, I shall state my opinion and no one has a right of reply. Bit arrogant in my opinion. And I’m sure someone on here said we can all have an opinion 😉

44 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

Nobody is saying refereeing decisions can't be discussed or questions asked.

It's just an odd narrative that after a 90+ minutes game of football with 4 goals, the only point of discussion is whether the referee should or should not have cautioned the defender.

Blimey some of you guys are so sensitive when it comes to involving a discussion regarding referees!

On this occasion, I was purely trying to enquire whether it is mandatory to show at least a yellow when a foul is permitted inside the penalty area.

I admit I don’t know the laws as well as some of the readers of this forum and thought is would be interesting to therefore ask and try and obtain a reply in simple English.

In this match there were far worse challenges outside the penalty areas which didn’t receive a card and so surely you have to agree that the law’s an ass, however we’re stuck with it.

I really don’t get why some of you are making a meal of it!

38 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Blimey some of you guys are so sensitive when it comes to involving a discussion regarding referees!

On this occasion, I was purely trying to enquire whether it is mandatory to show at least a yellow when a foul is permitted inside the penalty area.

I admit I don’t know the laws as well as some of the readers of this forum and thought is would be interesting to therefore ask and try and obtain a reply in simple English.

In this match there were far worse challenges outside the penalty areas which didn’t receive a card and so surely you have to agree that the law’s an ass, however we’re stuck with it.

I think this shows one of the problems with the laws of the game. Referees get questioned because of spectators inability to just read, understand and interpret them. 

If a well seasoned football enthusiast like Dave sees a referee decision and cannot understand why a sanction may have been  given, what hope is there for the average fan? 

The LOTG need to be simplified.... a lot. They keep updating them and complicating them for every eventuality while fans are quoting laws from 1990s. 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yeh I agree with you Dave.....if a player makes a genuine attempt for the ball but does end up committing a foul leading to a penalty...why should he be booked......obviously it depends if it's reckless etc.

Also not the refs fault as just following rules.