Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Parkway- Another Busy Summer

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

Its right according to the full time website(when I last looked)

Yes, according to Full Time, Adam Carter is still an Ivybridge player (as of about 10 minutes ago anyway).

Bit of a "Parkway Legends" look about the registered players. In addition to Carter, you also have Lance Bailey, Danny Brook, Sam Hillson, Shane Krac and Chris Wright signed on.

22 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

I think it could be a season of struggle for Parkway.....hopefully for their supporters that proves to be wrong as it seems an excellent club the odd occasion I've been

I’m just not convinced by their squad at all this season. I honestly do think they’ll struggle. 

33 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Matt Wright, ex Taunton, Truro, Tiverton, Bideford (amongst many others) looks to have signed for a second spell at Parkway to provide another forward option.

Nobody else available it seems then? Did he even play for Truro last season?

11 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Matt Wright, ex Taunton, Truro, Tiverton, Bideford (amongst many others) looks to have signed for a second spell at Parkway to provide another forward option.

Wasn’t great  the first time he played . Then had a spell at helston that wasn’t a success Truro again not really doing much.     Just a lump to Chuck on up front and experienced in that league. Bit of a panic signing that for me.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

To where?

Let go, not transferred.

Just now, sportsman10 said:

Just been let go. I don’t think Lee was obviously impressed with him 

Let go by Mousehole, let go by Helston (who replaced him with the keeper that Parkway let go), ranks alongside Adam Carter as a strange signing this summer.

Right or wrong adam parkes is a massive upgrade and what is needed. Lee next afraid to get rid and refresh the team he done it loads in the past that why he been successful .  
they are all big boys in that standard and all understand the nature of the game if you don’t perform your gone. Happen since football began. 
wont be the last as the squad is miles off it at the minute 

23 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Right or wrong adam parkes is a massive upgrade and what is needed. Lee next afraid to get rid and refresh the team he done it loads in the past that why he been successful .  
they are all big boys in that standard and all understand the nature of the game if you don’t perform your gone. Happen since football began. 
wont be the last as the squad is miles off it at the minute 

Get that action was needed, and Adam Parkes is a big upgrade in the goalkeeping position, but if you're having to get rid and refresh the team three weeks into the campaign, something has gone wrong with your recruiting and pre season. What was the thinking behind these signings, or were they all that was interested or available?

It isn't just this summer, plenty of busts amongst the players that came in for 2022/23.

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Another player bombed out (rightly or wrongly) not long after signing.

Players happy at their current clubs will think twice about signing in the future.

Fair play to LH. Not afraid to make some big calls.

Lee brought him in them bombs him out as if it's all his fault, same pull of players he gets in. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to play for him, few bad games and you are shown the door, just like matt wright who I'm surprised returned but probably on a decent wage so can't blame him there. 

Stuart Henderson is by far a better manager, and people like to play for him 

40 minutes ago, Southwest football fan said:

Lee brought him in them bombs him out as if it's all his fault, same pull of players he gets in. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to play for him, few bad games and you are shown the door, just like matt wright who I'm surprised returned but probably on a decent wage so can't blame him there. 

I don’t know the full ins and outs to suggest releasing him is a good/bad decision. 

However if I was a player who knew he was good enough to play at step 3 would you really think moving to Parkway is a good move? Few (as few as 3) games and you can be moved out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2023 at 15:43, Footy follower said:

Parkes was obviously on the look out for a league club or national League so has probably only just became available

So Hobbs needs to act fast and improve his squad but must also not get rid of players that aren't deemed to be good enough,,?

Heard on the grapevine that Lee is keen on Mouseholes Jack Bray Evans.

On 17/08/2023 at 14:23, Southwest football fan said:

Stu Henderson a good judge of players. That includes those already 'ready' now and those with potential. Equally not afraid to make changes, but signings appear less scattergun that Hobbs' recruitment. Further Tavi's earlier successes (SWPL / WL) were not based on an ability to outspend rivals, unlike PPFC. Now Hobbs hasn't that luxury, we'll see just how good a manager he is (or isn't) I'm not writing him off, but the jury is out for me.Certainly I rate Cuzi at Helston, Ash at Mousehole and Westy at Falmouth and Henderson especially as better managers. All about opinions. Like everyone else, I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

Of course, Parkway's struggles are relative. A poor start last season was corrected in time in often impressive fashion. Hopefully, I'll see those early signs of revival v Henson today!

4 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Stu Henderson a good judge of players. That includes those already 'ready' now and those with potential. Equally not afraid to make changes, but signings appear less scattergun that Hobbs' recruitment. Further Tavi's earlier successes (SWPL / WL) were not based on an ability to outspend rivals, unlike PPFC. Now Hobbs hasn't that luxury, we'll see just how good a manager he is (or isn't) I'm not writing him off, but the jury is out for me.Certainly I rate Cuzi at Helston, Ash at Mousehole and Westy at Falmouth and Henderson especially as better managers. All about opinions. Like everyone else, I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

Of course, Parkway's struggles are relative. A poor start last season was corrected in time in often impressive fashion. Hopefully, I'll see those early signs of revival v Henson today!

Stuart Henderson will need all those qualities at the moment. Know it's very early days, but played 3 in the league lost 3 and only 1 goal scored is a poor start for Tavi. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Stuart Henderson will need all those qualities at the moment. Know it's very early days, but played 3 in the league lost 3 and only 1 goal scored is a poor start for Tavi. 

Tavi have been without Liam Prynn thus far. Any team would miss someone who bagged 28 league goals last season. Conversely, they *have* been poor on both occasions I've seen them this season. Think Stu H will turn it around, but IIRC next up is Mousehole - that doesn't bode well!!

19 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Tavi have been without Liam Prynn thus far. Any team would miss someone who bagged 28 league goals last season. Conversely, they *have* been poor on both occasions I've seen them this season. Think Stu H will turn it around, but IIRC next up is Mousehole - that doesn't bode well!!

also rumblings from a few of the die hard tavi fans that the new signings are poor and  a few levels below the standard. 

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

also rumblings from a few of the die hard tavi fans that the new signings are poor and  a few levels below the standard. 

This is the first real period of struggle for some years. A die-hard fan would be supporting the team through this tough spell, rather than grumbling.

I"m not a die-hard fan, but watch Tavi pretty often, I think I'll reserve judgement for a while longer.

I was disappointed when some players were let go, but every manager makes big calls. I hope Stu H will again keep Tavi punching above their weight. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

A few of us included myself are yes frustrated with recent results however; you lose players like Josh Oak, Dan Evans, Warren Daw and Josh Grant all in one summer then ANY team would struggle. 
We’re struggling right now but under no illusions that we can’t offer wages like Truro, Parkway, Mousehole and even Helston (and even Torpoint are offering more to players we had last season). We’ve recruited some very good young players (is there a better judge of player than Stuart Henderson?!) who might be slowly learning to step up to step 4 standard however as fans we will always back them. It’s a season of transition which is difficult to take as we’ve been spoilt for the past 7+ seasons but it’s part and parcel of being a fan.

11 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

A few of us included myself are yes frustrated with recent results however; you lose players like Josh Oak, Dan Evans, Warren Daw and Josh Grant all in one summer then ANY team would struggle. 
We’re struggling right now but under no illusions that we can’t offer wages like Truro, Parkway, Mousehole and even Helston (and even Torpoint are offering more to players we had last season). We’ve recruited some very good young players (is there a better judge of player than Stuart Henderson?!) who might be slowly learning to step up to step 4 standard however as fans we will always back them. It’s a season of transition which is difficult to take as we’ve been spoilt for the past 7+ seasons but it’s part and parcel of being a fan.

Spot on, Tavi Fan! And although he left slightly earlier than the 4 players mentioned, Josh Robins was very much part of the 'Golden Years' too!

When both clubs (Parkway and Tavistock) lose the spine of their sides then I guess as supporters you need to accept it’ll be a difficult start to the season. Both clubs are used to winning pretty much every week and losing games is not the norm. Both clubs have definitely been spoilt the last 6 or 7 seasons! Well done to Lee Hobbs for getting some points on the board. Hopefully we can do so tomorrow when we host Mousehole! 

• 2 weeks later...

Really good addition, a player that Lee Hobbs has been after for a few years now. Know that he was mainly used by Mousehole as an attacking midfielder, so interesting to see that he is regarded by Parkway as a forward signing. Certainly brings physical presence, as well as more mobility, to that position.

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Tavi put in 7 days for Reece too, but he chose to go with Parkway

Higher level of football and more money who can blame him? Believe he’s guaranteed to start this weekend.

Not calling you a liar but I’d have thought we need to let players go before bringing other people in.

Parkway still playing with a back 3/5? Thought I’d seen they’d reverted to a 4. Shane White, Oscar Halls, Callum Rose, Toby, Mikey Williams (if needed) are a lot of options if they’ve gone to a back 4.

Do wonder if this is the first of a few Truro players who’ll inevitably end up at Parkway?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Alex Cairo gone to mousehole on loan from parkway  

I dont understand that at all. A very light squad getting even smaller. 

Out of all the cups now (barring the St Lukes) possibly made a calculation about not needing to carry the 18 players that they had prior to the Totton game last week. 

Cairo needs playing time (see that he had featured for Torpoint on a couple occasions this season), so it could be a good move for him. Wonder if one of the conditions on him going out on loan is that he starts games, and if he can be recalled early should he be needed back at Bolitho.

• 2 weeks later...

Parkway sign free agent former Argyle midfielder Cameron Sangster, and he goes straight into tonight's squad for the game away to Salisbury.

Would have thought that central midfield was an area where Parkway were well stocked already (they sent Alex Cairo out on loan to Mousehole for game time),and that the forward positions were an area that needed additions. Wonder if somebody is injured or departing.

11 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Parkway sign free agent former Argyle midfielder Cameron Sangster, and he goes straight into tonight's squad for the game away to Salisbury.

Would have thought that central midfield was an area where Parkway were well stocked already (they sent Alex Cairo out on loan to Mousehole for game time),and that the forward positions were an area that needed additions. Wonder if somebody is injured or departing.

Don’t know anything about him to be honest. Must be one Karl and Lee have seen playing a few times and feel he add to squad. 

48 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Don’t know anything about him to be honest. Must be one Karl and Lee have seen playing a few times and feel he add to squad. 

Sangster came through the Argyle youth set up with Ryan law, was offered a professional contract but turned it down to start his own business supplying designer football boots to the stars around the world, not sure if he still doing that, good player but not sure if he been playing at all for the last 5 year's, he  is originally from newton abbot. 

Henry Wilson has left parkway . Very odd that. Was one of the players i thought looked really good when he was fit and playing with Lee saying how impressed he was with him. The last few games he seemed to be on the bench so not sure what go on. Another key summer signing that now gone from squad.