Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Parkway- Another Busy Summer

So, with the departures of three key players in Billy Palfrey, Austen Booth and Ben Seymour all confirmed today, it's going to be another busy summer at Parkway. By my reckoning, that's a new goalkeeper, right back, centre back, midfielder and striker (probably more than one actually) needed just to fill the immediate gaps in the squad. Would imagine we'll start to have new arrivals announced in the next week or so, but it feels like it's gone from adding a bit of extra quality and depth, to another rebuild.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

So, with the departures of three key players in Billy Palfrey, Austen Booth and Ben Seymour all confirmed today, it's going to be another busy summer at Parkway. By my reckoning, that's a new goalkeeper, right back, centre back, midfielder and striker (probably more than one actually) needed just to fill the immediate gaps in the squad. Would imagine we'll start to have new arrivals announced in the next week or so, but it feels like it's gone from adding a bit of extra quality and depth, to another rebuild.

Where is Seymour going? The 3 going are all key players, not fringe / squad players. As you say, WOTP a rebuild now rather than ‘top up’ needed. May be a good thing to have a refresh and I think PP would anticipate wanting a playoff challenge to fit in with every season improving on the one before, which the club have done for many seasons now. 

The mid-table(ish) finish may have been a useful corrective to the recent fan base who’ve known nothing but almost instant success. 

Over the years Parkway have got the personnel ins / outs right most years with the manager making some big calls. I hope they get it right. Now a real test for the club and manager. In lower leagues budgets that dwarfed others made the task easier, not sure that is the case now. Sure plenty of SL Prem clubs equally as ambitious. Anyone have any idea  how Parkway’s budget sits in relation to their peers?

An interesting summer ahead!

15 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Where is Seymour going? The 3 going are all key players, not fringe / squad players. As you say, WOTP a rebuild now rather than ‘top up’ needed. May be a good thing to have a refresh and I think PP would anticipate wanting a playoff challenge to fit in with every season improving on the one before, which the club have done for many seasons now. 

The mid-table(ish) finish may have been a useful corrective to the recent fan base who’ve known nothing but almost instant success. 

Over the years Parkway have got the personnel ins / outs right most years with the manager making some big calls. I hope they get it right. Now a real test for the club and manager. In lower leagues budgets that dwarfed others made the task easier, not sure that is the case now. Sure plenty of SL Prem clubs equally as ambitious. Anyone have any idea  how Parkway’s budget sits in relation to their peers?

An interesting summer ahead!

The Parkway board had made it clear in supporters club meetings that the improvement of the pitch and facilities at Bolitho will be the priority. You only have to look around non league football to see what the outcome of unsustainable spending is (Salisbury and Truro are a couple of good examples). Parkway have over the last few years, been able to take the players they wanted from the likes of Tiverton and Tavistock as a result of their greater spending power and stated ambition. Those days are probably now over (at this level anyway), the harsh reality is that there is now a heavy SW bias to the NLS with several clubs within a 2 hour drive from Plymouth, Exeter or Torbay (famously, 1 of them is in Plymouth at the moment) and I would even add the possibility of Mousehole being at step 3 in the next few years and competing for players. It will be interesting to see how some of the supporters who have been attracted to Parkway over the last few seasons react. They are, after all, used to a constant upward trajectory and a period where the club plateaus (or even goes backwards slightly) may be difficult for them to accept. Already seen some comments on social media in the aftermath of "Black Monday" which support this.  Personally, the departures of Booth and Seymour were always likely as they are step 2 quality players who were not from the city (believe Seymour is headed back to the Watford area to live) looking to have a good season and showcase themselves (this may well have been understood by the club), Palfrey has been a great servant and integral part of this era and deserves to go onto his next challenge with the supporters blessing (not really clear though if leaving was his decision or the club's). Dan Rooney is the most disappointing, a local lad who talked about coming home, and attracting a player of his calibre was a statement signing. The board had talked in past years about the "Parkway Project" being about Plymouth players feeling able to stay in the city to achieve their non league career goals. No idea of his destination, but would be a blow if he doesn't think Parkway is the place to fulfill his ambitions.

Understand that the club are working very hard at bringing new players in, so we will just have to wait and see who they are and what they will contribute. Does feel like another period of transition though, and supporters will have to be patient and realistic while this beds down.

Not sure Lee had to rebuild before to this level . Before the departures have always been Lee refreshing the club and feeling players has come to the end of the Road. 
players like farkin , Moore , landricombe etc all experienced but we’re at the end 

the 4 that have gone are all  first names  on the team sheet. young and  were The future of the club , add to that Calum rose is rumoured to be next to go this will take some doing to get a team together that will be competitive next season. 

I have heard prynn from Tavistock and bray evans talked about as possible replacements up front not sure how realistic they will be but Lee will have a half decent budget to offer  

I fully expect a good 4-5 of the Saltash lot to be training  with parkway. I know a few of  their  younger players  are known to be admired at bolitho. 

will be a very interesting pre season 

5 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

A lot of players are probably aware of how mainstays like Farkins, Moore and Landricombe etc were told they were no longer required. Assuming players are happy where they are without any major pressures why would they move on?

For the same reasons that people move jobs I guess. Usually because they are fed up with their current position, want to do something different and challenge themselves or just want to earn more money.

Just now, Way Of The Park said:

For the same reasons that people move jobs I guess. Usually because they are fed up with their current position, want to do something different or want to earn more money.

I get what you’re saying. However over the last few years Lee Hobbs has made some ruthless decisions (rightly or wrongly) and a lot of lads who were part of the furniture there have been shipped out. I think Parkway are going to struggle to bring players in who are happy at their current clubs even with the lure of higher level football and more money. 

I’ll probably be proved wrong this summer now but it’s just a gut feeling of mine.

8 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I get what you’re saying. However over the last few years Lee Hobbs has made some ruthless decisions (rightly or wrongly) and a lot of lads who were part of the furniture there have been shipped out. I think Parkway are going to struggle to bring players in who are happy at their current clubs even with the lure of higher level football and more money. 

I’ll probably be proved wrong this summer now but it’s just a gut feeling of mine.

Lee Hobbs has generally got the big calls right on players at the right time, replaced them with better quality and moved the team forward. To effectively rebuild half the side over the summer, whilst keeping them competitive (and even trying to improve on last season) will possibly be the biggest challenge yet of his tenure at Parkway. 

I don’t deny the fact he probably got majority of the calls to move players on correct. It just sends out a message that nobody is safe in that squad (new signings like Tyler Ashmead and Theo Simpson didn’t last two mins either).

I know the main aim for Parkway is to first of all stay up and become an established step 3 club but I do wonder if it’s worth looking to build a side for the future by bringing in a few younger players into the first team picture? As you mention, probably the biggest challenge yet for the management team.

18 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I don’t deny the fact he probably got majority of the calls to move players on correct. It just sends out a message that nobody is safe in that squad (new signings like Tyler Ashmead and Theo Simpson didn’t last two mins either).

I know the main aim for Parkway is to first of all stay up and become an established step 3 club but I do wonder if it’s worth looking to build a side for the future by bringing in a few younger players into the first team picture? As you mention, probably the biggest challenge yet for the management team.

Blimey, yes. Few "busts" in last year's summer recruitment. Could add Reece Shanley to that list.Some of the loans brought in during the season didn't exactly set the pulse racing either (Harrison King, Adam Parkes and Harry Lee being notable exceptions to this).

Agree with trying to develop some homegrown players. Some of last season's successful under 18's had been playing regularly at Pensinsula and Western League clubs. Know it's a big jump to step 3 football, but perhaps a few could be looked at in pre season. Former Exeter City schoolboy, Dylan Jones, who scored hatfuls for the under 18's, did get a couple of runs off the bench at the end of last season. I know the "Parkway Pathway" of trying to bring youngsters through was a big thing for former coach Matt Cusack, wonder if it slipped down the priority list a bit when he left? You cannot really hold Lee Hobbs accountable for youth development, his focus will be getting a winning first team together and being competitive in the league.

Ashmead was constantly injured and didnt like to travel from Bristol. And Simpson just never really settled as he was on the bench a lot. Both players decided to leave rather then the club binning them off 

you can’t just bring in young players to that level of football and expect them to compete and they won’t want to sit on a bench after travelling for 3-4 hours on weekend. 

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Parkway board had made it clear in supporters club meetings that the improvement of the pitch and facilities at Bolitho will be the priority. You only have to look around non league football to see what the outcome of unsustainable spending is (Salisbury and Truro are a couple of good examples). Parkway have over the last few years, been able to take the players they wanted from the likes of Tiverton and Tavistock as a result of their greater spending power and stated ambition. Those days are probably now over (at this level anyway), the harsh reality is that there is now a heavy SW bias to the NLS with several clubs within a 2 hour drive from Plymouth, Exeter or Torbay (famously, 1 of them is in Plymouth at the moment) and I would even add the possibility of Mousehole being at step 3 in the next few years and competing for players. It will be interesting to see how some of the supporters who have been attracted to Parkway over the last few seasons react. They are, after all, used to a constant upward trajectory and a period where the club plateaus (or even goes backwards slightly) may be difficult for them to accept. Already seen some comments on social media in the aftermath of "Black Monday" which support this.  Personally, the departures of Booth and Seymour were always likely as they are step 2 quality players who were not from the city (believe Seymour is headed back to the Watford area to live) looking to have a good season and showcase themselves (this may well have been understood by the club), Palfrey has been a great servant and integral part of this era and deserves to go onto his next challenge with the supporters blessing (not really clear though if leaving was his decision or the club's). Dan Rooney is the most disappointing, a local lad who talked about coming home, and attracting a player of his calibre was a statement signing. The board had talked in past years about the "Parkway Project" being about Plymouth players feeling able to stay in the city to achieve their non league career goals. No idea of his destination, but would be a blow if he doesn't think Parkway is the place to fulfill his ambitions.

Understand that the club are working very hard at bringing new players in, so we will just have to wait and see who they are and what they will contribute. Does feel like another period of transition though, and supporters will have to be patient and realistic while this beds down.

Excellent analysis WOTP! II agree with your arguments wholly. I think the approach / priorities for Parkway as identified by themselves are sensible

PP get more things right than wrong, but would be interesting to see what a ‘poor’ season would have on attendances. The long standing fans will continue their stalwart backing of the club, but will newer fans?

Never dull at Bolitho and longer term I think the club will realise that NL (South) ambition. 

I’m intrigued where they think the ground needs improving next. It is certainly very respectable already!

On 23/05/2023 at 17:20, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Excellent analysis WOTP! II agree with your arguments wholly. I think the approach / priorities for Parkway as identified by themselves are sensible

PP get more things right than wrong, but would be interesting to see what a ‘poor’ season would have on attendances. The long standing fans will continue their stalwart backing of the club, but will newer fans?

Never dull at Bolitho and longer term I think the club will realise that NL (South) ambition. 

I’m intrigued where they think the ground needs improving next. It is certainly very respectable already!

Further work on the pitch and floodlight upgrades were two of the projects I heard about. Then of course, the upgrades to make it a step 2 compliant ground need to be done by March 31st 2024 (no idea who or both of Truro and Parkway are paying, or if the "tenants" are wholly meeting the costs).

Interesting read in todays' Herald. Lee Hobbs talks about the departures from Parkway this week, being realistic with the club finances, how he wants to go with a bigger squad next season and hinting that the squad rebuilding is well underway with new signings to be announced soon.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/plymouth-parkway-see-four-key-8468682

12 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Name who is good enough to be a regular? although they do have some good players

I don’t know, I’m not in charge of recruitment at Parkway!

I don’t think many are good enough to step up 2 leagues. Know Wilson has signed, heard also after Barker, Merrin and couple of some of the younger squad players, maybe parkway looking more to the future and having a larger squad this year. As I said only mentioned rumours I have heard

22 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Someone like Tallan Mitchell from Mousehole would be a good addition I feel? Some good players knocking about however if they are happy where they are I think they’ll find it difficult to tempt players away.

Can think of several from Mousehole that would fit Parkway very nicely, and also live in Plymouth and the surrounding area. Would not think they would be willing to leave behind what Jake Ash has built down there though.

33 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Cory Harvey in next for parkway as the No1 keeper. Got to  be honest I didn't see that Lee must feel he best  out there that he can get at the minute. 

Getting a permanent keeper in had to be a priority signing. He's Plymouth based and experienced at this level, we'll see how it works out.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Getting a permanent keeper in had to be a priority signing. He's Plymouth based and experienced at this level, we'll see how it works out.

Awful springs to mind !! Been poor for a few years now and makes some very strange decisions.. will cost them goals for sure but if that’s all there is then I suppose there is no choice 

22 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Henry Wilson has signed for Parkway

Key player for Saltash over recent seasons in that holding midfield role, possibly something that Parkway haven't had since Christian Pople left a few years ago. Step 5 to step 3 is a big jump though, his yellow card habit is one of the first things that needs to be worked on.

Have to applaud his decision to step away from the Ashes after 7 years and test himself at a high level though. 

1 minute ago, Way Of The Park said:

Key player for Saltash over recent seasons in that holding midfield role, possibly something that Parkway haven't had since Christian Pople left a few years ago. Step 5 to step 3 is a big jump though, his yellow card habit is one of the first things that needs to be worked on.

That will definitely need to change.....needless yellows in games I've seen.......

But also a very good footballer

On 27/05/2023 at 10:56, Tavi Fan said:

Joe Belsten and Tom Purrington leave Tiverton after receiving “lucrative offers” from another club 🤔 

Belsten is absolute quality!

Just now, Footy follower said:

That will definitely need to change.....needless yellows in games I've seen.......

But also a very good footballer

Way too many cards playing for the Ashes. Thought he was very impressive when he first broke through with Saltash, but not sure he has progressed as much as I expected. A bit of a punt by PP, which is worth taking and might just be a stroke of genius!

Decent player that Lee will hope will adapt to the league . A few have tried and failed. Fair play to him for having a go at stepping up a few levels.
Will be tough for him to break into the team I imagine and he will have to stamp out the silly cards (Lee won’t like that ) . I imagine parkway will bring a few more in yet I heard he wants a squad of 17-18. 

These local signings and with more to come apparently from the local circuit would suggest that something is not quite right at Bolitho. 

Cory Harvey and Henry Wilson are good players but to play at this level, not for me.

Have heard that Adam Carter is also coming back for yet another stint, again, another good player but Southern League is going to be a stretch to far. 

4 hours ago, teflon123 said:

These local signings and with more to come apparently from the local circuit would suggest that something is not quite right at Bolitho. 

Cory Harvey and Henry Wilson are good players but to play at this level, not for me.

Have heard that Adam Carter is also coming back for yet another stint, again, another good player but Southern League is going to be a stretch to far. 

Surely a good thing to involve local players.

On 26/05/2023 at 10:18, quiksilver said:

I don’t know, I’m not in charge of recruitment at Parkway!

I don’t think many are good enough to step up 2 leagues. Know Wilson has signed, heard also after Barker, Merrin and couple of some of the younger squad players, maybe parkway looking more to the future and having a larger squad this year. As I said only mentioned rumours I have heard

I see Helston have just announced signing Barker from Saltash on twitter

I do enjoy the introductory interviews from new signings.

"The club and manager's ambitions match my own." Translation- I'm getting the money I asked for.

"I want to make this club my home, and stay for years to come." Translation- as long I continue to get the money I'm asking for and don't get a better offer.

"I'm looking forward to pre season training, and then getting out on the pitch and playing." As a semi-pro footballer, I would say that this is a minimum requirement.

14 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Decent player that Lee will hope will adapt to the league . A few have tried and failed. Fair play to him for having a go at stepping up a few levels.
Will be tough for him to break into the team I imagine and he will have to stamp out the silly cards (Lee won’t like that ) . I imagine parkway will bring a few more in yet I heard he wants a squad of 17-18. 

Alfie Moulden - winger/forward. Ex Willand, and had stints at Weston Super Mare, Tiverton and Guisely last season becomes the latest addition.

He also let it slip in his interview that another player he was at Tiverton with last season is incoming, guessing Joe Belsten.