Cornwall Football Forum

TRELAWNY LEAGUE - April 22 2023

PREMIER DIVISION   

Redruth United Reserves   4-3   Frogpool & Cusgarne

DIVISION 3        

Lizard Argyle       4-3            Mount Ambrose (Double header)

DUNN CUP

Troon    1-0   West Cornwall

LEAGUE CUP  

Newlyn Non-Athletico    7-6   Falmouth United (after extra time, 5-5 at 90)

LOCKHART CUP

Probus  2-4    Falmouth DC

PERCY STEPHENS CUP

Lizard Argyle       4-3       Mount Ambrose (Double header)

St Keverne           0-2       Penzance Reserves

Mullion 3rd          2-2              St Day 3rd

St Agnes 3rd         9-5             Pendeen Rovers Reserves

St Ives Mariners   4-1          Helston Raiders

Storm    2-9              Penryn Athletic Reserves

RUSSELL HALL CUP

Lanner    2-3             Dropship             

ARTHUR PEARCE CUP  

Troon Res   A/W   Constantine Res

and one result from Friday 21st April

Wendron Utd 5th   2-4   Dropship Reserves in the Jubilee Cup

Storm 2 penryn 9

both squads massively depleted 

storm started with 10 and penryn had a bare 11 but sportingly played with 10 until the 11th men got there

weather was awful but it didn’t stop everyone having a decent game of footy and enjoying themselves

anita reffed the game really well and both teams where honest about offsides and free kicks.

thanks to the penryn lads for coming back to the pub

season finally over for storm. We played every game and scored in all but one

time to regroup

PSC Q-F 

St Keverne 0-2 Penzance Reserves

Att roughly 20 

It was so good to watch a game played by two passing sides who had equal turns of pressurising their opponents. 

Nil nil at half time with Pz having the slight advantage.

In the second period both sides went for it, leaving big gaps between defence and keepers. 

Eventually on 71, the hosts were undo by a rebound that fell to Pz who put it in from the right. 

St Keverne had to go further up the pitch and Pz exploited this on 85 when they ran onto a through ball, round the advancing keeper and slid the ball into an empty net. 

Disappointed the rain kept the  attendance figures down as nowhere to really keep dry so locals stayed away. Of the 20 or so there most were supporting the visitors.

Pz now 11 unbeaten and await the draw for the semi finals. 

Dunn Cup 

Semi final

Troon 1-0 West Cornwall

Went to watch this one good game edged by Troon

First Half

The game started with both teams trying to find a foot hold in the game the opening 20 was scrappy Troon had a couple shots comfortably saved by the West Cornwall keeper. Troon thought they took the lead on the 25th minute but Will Eva's goal was disallowed for a hand ball.  West Cornwall were awarded a penalty on the half hour mark the resulting penalty from Ben Dawe was saved by the Troon keeper down to his bottom right. Toby Ellis nearly gave west Cornwall the lead but his shot went just over. 0-0 Half Time

Second half

Troon started second half brightly having another goal disallowed by hand ball correct decision from the officials. Troon finally broke the deadlock from a corner the ball was whipped in Troon won the header which was saved by the WC keeper for the rebound to fall to a Marcus Grasso to slot home for 1-0. On the 65th minute West Cornwall almost equalised from a corner of there own but was brilliantly saved by Troon keeper. West Cornwall kept coming at Troon a ball over the top of Troon defence the keeper and defender mis communication allowed George brown in but an excellent block from the Troon defender kept it 1-0.  Troon had a great chance on the 80th minute but the ball hit the post and rebounded safely. We had ABIT a bit of drama in the 87th minute the Troon keeper took a simple rolling ball decided to make the trademark safe dive to waste some time he took about 20 seconds. Referee decided he was taking the p--- awarded an indirect free kick and booked the keeper then the keeper decides to launch the ball in frustration and rightfully so got his second yellow and was sent off.  Troon managed to hold on to lead to win 1-0.

Thought the officials today did a top job today worked together well the make the right decisions.

Mariners 4 Helston raiders 1. Percy stevens cup.Mariners top the Group

Played in good spirits and well reffed by Ben Kempthorne,Credit to the raiders who kept trying to play and deserved there goal.

Shame they missed the amazing food back at our pub. All the best

League Cup: Semi Final: Penzance Leisure Centre

Newlyn Non Athletico 7 -vs- 6 Falmouth United (AET)

Not sure where to begin. Perhaps praise for both teams, this was a see-saw match that had a lot going on. As usually, Newlyn arrived in dribs and drabs not long before kick-off as Falmouth warmed up with cones and bids, running, passing, shouting and so on. Meanwhile, at the other end of the pitch, we were trying to figure out how Giles had kicked one of the match balls a good 20m up into the pine tree behind the goal. Stuck. "We need the wind to pick up". Not today. And we need to be here when the wind does pick up. Otherwise.....Anyway, there it stayed, and somehow was not joined by another ball that someone thought would be a good idea to kick up at it to nudge it free. 🫠

So, less than 30 seconds into the game, Falmouth perhaps showed why it is wise to warm up and go through some drills before kick off as they were presented with a one-on-one, only to find Kian in great form to save for a corner. Phew, what a start.

I was on ball hunting duty on the far side wing, so did not witness all the action as retrieving balls in heavy rain in lush bunches of nettles and brambles takes a bit of doing, but I did witness the Falmouth opener. 0-1, but plenty of time to get back. They pressed for another, corner, cleared, towards halfway, Falmouth wins the balls thrusts forward under pressure form Newlyn, unleashes a pile-driver from 2 miles, top corner. Admiration. Applause. I clapped too. That was a fine goal. 0-2.

Newlyns turn. Free kick, 22 yards out, Jack Lidds fires home far corner, 1-2. Crickey, game on. Only 20 minutes played, rain pouring down, challenges flying in. Falmouth back on it, free kick of their own, smashes through the wall, and Kian this time unable to stop it falling over the line. 1-3, and Kian's foot is too painful to continue. Keeper change, Tetley takes the gloves.

Newlyn hunt and press for another. Free kick. Lidds up again, hits wall, strikes it again, shanks it high, Palmer gets the bouncing rebound, shields, turns and hits volley into top corner. Blimey, more applause. This is outstanding stuff. 2-3. 

Gets a bit hazy then, on the goals. I know that Newlyn got it back to 3-3, I might have been hunting for balls at the time, and I think that is the half time score. Anyway, Newlyn build momentum, and two more strikes, one from Lidds on the end of a Palmer through-ball (luckily Jack hadn't cut his toe-nails last night as otherwise that initial fine bit of control would not have been possible), and I missed another from the depths of the undergrowth the home side go 5-3 up. Tetley is doing a fine job in goal, whilst popping up at centre back now and again too. Time running out for Falmouth. Still time for an umbrella incident in the spectators, as players and spectators jostle on the touchline. Not sure about that. A couple of bookings handed out. Then, Falmouth score a header 5 mins from time to give them hope, 5-4, and a strike seconds from time makes it 5-5 and extra time calls.

Newlyn were down, momentum with Falmouth for the late comeback, and the away side go 5-6 up in the first period of ET. Oh no. Time really is rocking on now.

Second period, Newlyn are pressing, and force a late corner. Can they force penalties? Corner is swung into the mixer, where a leaping Seth smashes his header into the net. No stopping that. Now stay switched on. Its 6-6, and I think we all believe that is that. However, Newlyn press, Falmouth look nervous, the ball is in the area, and breaks for a shot at goal. The keeper actually makes a tremendous save but it bobbles, its loose, its touched, it rebounds, and Penney (Penneldo?) strokes the ball into the net. Ecstasy. Joy. Grief. Agony. Pitch invasion. Pile on. Tetley joins the celebrations. 7-6. Yellow cards. Kick off, pass, pass, run, challenge, free kick to Falmouth. Central. 25 yards out. Over the bar. Full time whistle.

I've missed loads. There were bookings, lectures, oddities. But an entertaining game of football. Well done all involved. Phew!!

11 hours ago, Mangle said:

League Cup: Semi Final: Penzance Leisure Centre

Newlyn Non Athletico 7 -vs- 6 Falmouth United (AET)

Not sure where to begin. Perhaps praise for both teams, this was a see-saw match that had a lot going on. As usually, Newlyn arrived in dribs and drabs not long before kick-off as Falmouth warmed up with cones and bids, running, passing, shouting and so on. Meanwhile, at the other end of the pitch, we were trying to figure out how Giles had kicked one of the match balls a good 20m up into the pine tree behind the goal. Stuck. "We need the wind to pick up". Not today. And we need to be here when the wind does pick up. Otherwise.....Anyway, there it stayed, and somehow was not joined by another ball that someone thought would be a good idea to kick up at it to nudge it free. 🫠

So, less than 30 seconds into the game, Falmouth perhaps showed why it is wise to warm up and go through some drills before kick off as they were presented with a one-on-one, only to find Kian in great form to save for a corner. Phew, what a start.

I was on ball hunting duty on the far side wing, so did not witness all the action as retrieving balls in heavy rain in lush bunches of nettles and brambles takes a bit of doing, but I did witness the Falmouth opener. 0-1, but plenty of time to get back. They pressed for another, corner, cleared, towards halfway, Falmouth wins the balls thrusts forward under pressure form Newlyn, unleashes a pile-driver from 2 miles, top corner. Admiration. Applause. I clapped too. That was a fine goal. 0-2.

Newlyns turn. Free kick, 22 yards out, Jack Lidds fires home far corner, 1-2. Crickey, game on. Only 20 minutes played, rain pouring down, challenges flying in. Falmouth back on it, free kick of their own, smashes through the wall, and Kian this time unable to stop it falling over the line. 1-3, and Kian's foot is too painful to continue. Keeper change, Tetley takes the gloves.

Newlyn hunt and press for another. Free kick. Lidds up again, hits wall, strikes it again, shanks it high, Palmer gets the bouncing rebound, shields, turns and hits volley into top corner. Blimey, more applause. This is outstanding stuff. 2-3. 

Gets a bit hazy then, on the goals. I know that Newlyn got it back to 3-3, I might have been hunting for balls at the time, and I think that is the half time score. Anyway, Newlyn build momentum, and two more strikes, one from Lidds on the end of a Palmer through-ball (luckily Jack hadn't cut his toe-nails last night as otherwise that initial fine bit of control would not have been possible), and I missed another from the depths of the undergrowth the home side go 5-3 up. Tetley is doing a fine job in goal, whilst popping up at centre back now and again too. Time running out for Falmouth. Still time for an umbrella incident in the spectators, as players and spectators jostle on the touchline. Not sure about that. A couple of bookings handed out. Then, Falmouth score a header 5 mins from time to give them hope, 5-4, and a strike seconds from time makes it 5-5 and extra time calls.

Newlyn were down, momentum with Falmouth for the late comeback, and the away side go 5-6 up in the first period of ET. Oh no. Time really is rocking on now.

Second period, Newlyn are pressing, and force a late corner. Can they force penalties? Corner is swung into the mixer, where a leaping Seth smashes his header into the net. No stopping that. Now stay switched on. Its 6-6, and I think we all believe that is that. However, Newlyn press, Falmouth look nervous, the ball is in the area, and breaks for a shot at goal. The keeper actually makes a tremendous save but it bobbles, its loose, its touched, it rebounds, and Penney (Penneldo?) strokes the ball into the net. Ecstasy. Joy. Grief. Agony. Pitch invasion. Pile on. Tetley joins the celebrations. 7-6. Yellow cards. Kick off, pass, pass, run, challenge, free kick to Falmouth. Central. 25 yards out. Over the bar. Full time whistle.

I've missed loads. There were bookings, lectures, oddities. But an entertaining game of football. Well done all involved. Phew!!

Firstly I’d like to say thank you for getting the balls yesterday much appreciated. 

Secondly congratulations to Newlyn on getting to the final 👏credit to the players on an outstanding performance. 

The game was ruined by the referee made the whole day about him and I feel sorry for the linesmen, went against all their decisions (no need in having them really) according to him shouting “leave it” is allowed. Very very harsh booking from both sides. Save the bullshit speech “appreciate you had a ref….” 

Never or less Good luck to Titans and Newlyn in the final 

Russell Hall Cup SF

Lanner 2-3 Dropship

Near perfect Sahara like conditions at Lanner in an entertaining 90min. The home side raced into a deserved 2-0 lead in the first half and a missed penalty in the 2nd from Dropship in which Paul Robertson thought he would recreate the Chris Waddle Italia 90 kick minus the mullet it didn’t look like it was going to be the Junior Cup finalists day,  however it was heartbreak for the hosts as they conceded two quick goals from Oscar Fergus-G to draw level and in the 90 min with extra time unlikely to be played due to the deteriorating pitch the visitors managed to clinch a winner through Ben Kellow and a place in the final.

3 hours ago, Hdog said:

Firstly I’d like to say thank you for getting the balls yesterday much appreciated. 

Secondly congratulations to Newlyn on getting to the final 👏credit to the players on an outstanding performance. 

The game was ruined by the referee made the whole day about him and I feel sorry for the linesmen, went against all their decisions (no need in having them really) according to him shouting “leave it” is allowed. Very very harsh booking from both sides. Save the bullshit speech “appreciate you had a ref….” 

“Leave it” can be allowed in certain context. Will leave you to look it all up. Had the same in a match not too long ago with a club assistant screaming at the ref for the same thing 🙈

4 hours ago, Dazza said:

“Leave it” can be allowed in certain context. Will leave you to look it all up. Had the same in a match not too long ago with a club assistant screaming at the ref for the same thing 🙈

What if he is a foreigner? Leavit could be his last name??

8 hours ago, Hdog said:

What have you achieved with the last section of your post?if Falmouth United are so happy to go off about refs hopefully cornwall fa see this post and decide not to give you them for your next games