Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 21 March 2023

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Ashes 5 Barnstaple 2

By my crude (and often incorrect) maths, I reckon that this win leaves Saltash needing 5 points from their last 4 matches to guarantee a top 2 finish and promotion.

5 points to guarantee a top 2 finish, but a top 2 finish doesn’t guarantee promotion (1st place = promotion, 2nd place = playoff against a Step 4 relegation candidate) 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 21 March 2023
2 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Promotion Which they are not taking ???? Strange goings on over there !

Perhaps I've missed something but at no time has the club nor anyone connected with the club said 'we don't want to be promoted'. From what I've read, they've been open and honest about the cost implications which promotion brings? 

MATCH REPORT - Saltash United 5 Barnstaple Town 2

A real full blooded clash this, with Mike Smith and Adam Carter for Ashes and the 'panto villan' that is Stu Bowker each scoring a brace with three also sent off late on!

23 minutes gone and Barum are 2-0 in front. Two first class finishes by Bowks, both into the bottom corner of the net. The visitors the better side.

The turning point was around 28 minutes in. Mike Smith was bundled over by the last man, the visitors keeper. A definite penalty! He should have been off, but the referee took the soft option and issued a yellow card. Adam Cartar dispatched the spot kick with ease. Just before half time and 'Carts' finishes well from about 15 yards out. 2-2! We still had time for Carter to again threaten the away goal in injury time.

If the penalty was a turning point, then a goal two minutes into the second 45 was pivotal. A low shot from Harrison Davis through a forest of legs appeared to leave the visitors 'keeper flat footed. It looked like an own goal with a deflection besting the 'keeper. Two emphatic finishes from Mike Smith, both crashed in via one-on-ones with the Town 'keeper and incredibly its 5-2! It should have been six as another mistake from the Barum goalkeeper presented an open goal that was missed. A number of times he came so far off his line to leave the Barnstaple goal vulnerable.

The game had been pretty fiesty throughout, but in an incident close to the dugouts and ensuing 'handbags' and confusing saw three dismissals! Garside off for the Ashes, with Callum Laird and Matty Andrews for Barnstaple. The whole game was niggly, but not the worst I've seen -  far from it. The estimable Stu B seemed to be suffering with Tourettes as the game went on 😉 It was pretty annoying to see both sides have multiple players at times surrounding the referee to pressure him to issue cards and 'earn' decisions! The referee, despite quite a hold up around the dismissals sensibly played the minimum of added on time!

5-2 mostly due to a voracious snapping up of chances. I've seen the Ashes maybe nine or ten times. Great team ethic, character and some very capable players, but I never really think I'm watching the WL Champions when watching the Ashes. They've turned around many games and, at times, ground out points in tight games. From what I've seen Mousehole clearly the most capable side and irrefutably (in my view) the best footballing side in the division. What we definitely saw last night was goal poaching of the first order. 

It may well be somewhat amusing to see the Ashes committee having kittens at the prospect of a play-off game to secure a promotion the team want and deserve, but they seemingly don't want! Surely when this is a prospect its time for the committee to 'step up' and seek new sources of income rather than be fretting about the success. One final point, it was disappointing to hear the Barum Chairman whining during the first half at a 'homer' ref. Pitiful. your 'keeper should have been off within 30 minutes. 

11 hours ago, bigblueplymouth said:

Perhaps I've missed something but at no time has the club nor anyone connected with the club said 'we don't want to be promoted'. From what I've read, they've been open and honest about the cost implications which promotion brings? 

Exactly.

18 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash have a squad more than capable of winning that league .  Next season will be the real test Sam hughes and Carter not  exactly getting any younger so you looking at a striker that is  going to get you the goals they get on a budget of not a lot. 

Carter still banging them in for Parkway at the moment when needed so I'm sure he'll be ok with Saltash for a couple more seasons.

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

A real full blooded clash this, with Mike Smith and Adam Carter for Ashes and the 'panto villan' that is Stu Bowker each scoring a brace with three also sent off late on!

23 minutes gone and Barum are 2-0 in front. Two first class finishes by Bowks, both into the bottom corner of the net. The visitors the better side.

The turning point was around 28 minutes in. Mike Smith was bundled over by the last man, the visitors keeper. A definite penalty! He should have been off, but the referee took the soft option and issued a yellow card. Adam Cartar dispatched the spot kick with ease. Just before half time and 'Carts' finishes well from about 15 yards out. 2-2! We still had time for Carter to again threaten the away goal in injury time.

If the penalty was a turning point, then a goal two minutes into the second 45 was pivotal. A low shot from Harrison Davis through a forest of legs appeared to leave the visitors 'keeper flat footed. It looked like an own goal with a deflection besting the 'keeper. Two emphatic finishes from Mike Smith, both crashed in via one-on-ones with the Town 'keeper and incredibly its 5-2! It should have been six as another mistake from the Barum goalkeeper presented an open goal that was missed. A number of times he came so far off his line to leave the Barnstaple goal vulnerable.

The game had been pretty fiesty throughout, but in an incident close to the dugouts and ensuing 'handbags' and confusing saw three dismissals! Garside off for the Ashes, with Callum Laird and Matty Andrews for Barnstaple. The whole game was niggly, but not the worst I've seen -  far from it. The estimable Stu B seemed to be suffering with Tourettes as the game went on 😉 It was pretty annoying to see both sides have multiple players at times surrounding the referee to pressure him to issue cards and 'earn' decisions! The referee, despite quite a hold up around the dismissals sensibly played the minimum of added on time!

5-2 mostly due to a voracious snapping up of chances. I've seen the Ashes maybe nine or ten times. Great team ethic, character and some very capable players, but I never really think I'm watching the WL Champions when watching the Ashes. They've turned around many games and, at times, ground out points in tight games. From what I've seen Mousehole clearly the most capable side and irrefutably (in my view) the best footballing side in the division. What we definitely saw last night was goal poaching of the first order. 

It may well be somewhat amusing to see the Ashes committee having kittens at the prospect of a play-off game to secure a promotion the team want and deserve, but they seemingly don't want! Surely when this is a prospect its time for the committee to 'step up' and seek new sources of income rather than be fretting about the success. One final point, it was disappointing to hear the Barum Chairman whining during the first half at a 'homer' ref. Pitiful. your 'keeper should have been off within 30 minutes. 

Can you explain why you think the GK should have been sent off for the penalty kick? 

24 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I would imagine it might be something to do with being the last man.

I have the feeling however that you’re going to quote a law that suggests it’s not always the case a red card has to be shown! 😀🫣

Spot on Dave on both points! On reflection the ‘keeper staying on hardly weakened the Ashes cause. He and his defence had a ‘mare of an evening.

Players, from both sides, surrounding the ref continually contesting decisions annoyed me more than any error (or otherwise) regarding the penalty. 

Prefer the way RU players show much greater respect for officials. 

59 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Players, from both sides, surrounding the ref continually contesting decisions annoyed me more than any error

Have to agree with you on that one - if I was a ref I'd yellow card a lot more! Even if its not suggested in the laws of the game! :)

2 hours ago, silly billy said:

Carter still banging them in for Parkway at the moment when needed so I'm sure he'll be ok with Saltash for a couple more seasons.

I prefer Sam Hughes, but he’s not playing much ATM. Injured, not fully fit or just losing out to Carts? Carts looks slow to me, but still knows where the goal is! 

15 hours ago, bigblueplymouth said:

Please don’t let me have to repeat word for word again Mrs Chairman’s actual quote regarding the clubs “Ambition” or lack of, as well as them NOT wanting promotion! They don’t like it!! 
So you most certainly DID miss something, because that is unfortunately the case, like it or not! 

6 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Thanks for the panto villain comment 🤣  👍🏻 as for your observations on our keeper yes it was a foul, but he was going towards the corner flag not towards the goal hence the yellow not a red. as for your comments on the officials… well we’re do I start, they were woefully dreadful perhaps the worst performance bar one I can remember so far this season. as I celebrated our second goal the linesman “GRABBED” by upper arm to tell me to stop celebrating and I quote “get back to my half” can you imagine the uproar if I had man handle the referee or linesman? (I have actually reported this today to ask whether a referee is allowed to do that before anyone says why don’t I report it) I could go on on about the referee last night but I’ll go straight to the main talking point of the 3 red cards 2 of which were handed out to players that weren’t even involved!! Callum martindale and Matty Andrews were involved in a handbags scuffle and a member of the saltash management punched Callum square in the face! All of which happened because the referee was weak and unable to control a winner takes all promotion clash I’ve been very vocal in actually sticking up for referee’s in recent weeks on my twitter and praising some of their performances. But last night he was absolutely shocking and players from both sides felt he ruined what was otherwise a very entertaining game. 

45 minutes ago, Stu B said:

Thanks for the panto villain comment 🤣  👍🏻 as for your observations on our keeper yes it was a foul, but he was going towards the corner flag not towards the goal hence the yellow not a red. as for your comments on the officials… well we’re do I start, they were woefully dreadful perhaps the worst performance bar one I can remember so far this season. as I celebrated our second goal the linesman “GRABBED” by upper arm to tell me to stop celebrating and I quote “get back to my half” can you imagine the uproar if I had man handle the referee or linesman? (I have actually reported this today to ask whether a referee is allowed to do that before anyone says why don’t I report it) I could go on on about the referee last night but I’ll go straight to the main talking point of the 3 red cards 2 of which were handed out to players that weren’t even involved!! Callum martindale and Matty Andrews were involved in a handbags scuffle and a member of the saltash management punched Callum square in the face! All of which happened because the referee was weak and unable to control a winner takes all promotion clash I’ve been very vocal in actually sticking up for referee’s in recent weeks on my twitter and praising some of their performances. But last night he was absolutely shocking and players from both sides felt he ruined what was otherwise a very entertaining game. 

Take up refereeing and show them how it should be done 👍

22 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

And a last man tackle by a defender please. Never any harm being educated.

A player is sent off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity unless the referee awards a Penalty kick and the foul was an attempt to play the ball in which case the player is shown a yellow card

"Last man" does not always = obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The reason I asked why you thought a red card should have been shown was because there was a penalty kick awarded so I wondered if there was another reason?

8 hours ago, Hetty said:

Yes.  Officials have named an illegal player behind the managers backs to ensure they get a points deduction and not have to refuse promotion. 

Firstly, this surely cannot be correct!

Wouldn’t Danny be aware of someone playing that’s not signed on?

How many games are affected? As the way Saltash are playing they need more than just 3 points knocked off!

Finally if something has happened “behind the manager’s back”, Danny and his players should walk out and leave Saltash to face any league punishment for being unable to field a team in their 4 remaining matches!!!

46 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Firstly, this surely cannot be correct!

Wouldn’t Danny be aware of someone playing that’s not signed on?

How many games are affected? As the way Saltash are playing they need more than just 3 points knocked off!

Finally if something has happened “behind the manager’s back”, Danny and his players should walk out and leave Saltash to face any league punishment for being unable to field a team in their 4 remaining matches!!!

Don’t listen

On 22/03/2023 at 16:38, Stu B said:

Good to get your take Stu! I was as far away as you could get from the incident around the sendings off. Ref wasn’t great, but like players have good and bad games. Penalty for Ashes turned the game, but not sure how Barum went from comfortable to collapse. I did notice the response after you netting. Took your goals well big man!

On 23/03/2023 at 14:57, Hetty said:

Yes.  Officials have named an illegal player behind the managers backs to ensure they get a points deduction and not have to refuse promotion. 

disgusting 

Moral of story ....don't believe rumours.

This turned out to be absolute BS. 🐂💩

Feedback we are getting is that Saltash are 100% hoping to win the league, and are going to give Southern League Div1  "a try".

If they fail to meet ground grading provisions by 01/04/2024 they would be demoted back to Toolstation Western League Premier Division. However if refusing promotion at the end of this season they would be automatically demoted to league below !!

It's a no brainer, and I'm sure Mousehole AFC know that all is still very much to play for with a hectic and full April fixture list.

8 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Feedback we are getting is that Saltash are 100% hoping to win the league, and are going to give Southern League Div1  "a try".

If they fail to meet ground grading provisions by 01/04/2024 they would be demoted back to Toolstation Western League Premier Division. However if refusing promotion at the end of this season they would be automatically demoted to league below !!

It's a no brainer, and I'm sure Mousehole AFC know that all is still very much to play for with a hectic and full April fixture list.

Their ground isn't good enough for the Western league.....only one side properly open....so how are they going to manage in the league above

13 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Their ground isn't good enough for the Western league.....only one side properly open....so how are they going to manage in the league above

Think they have planning and funding in place for a second seated stand, main issue and expense would be fitting turnstiles somewhere and somehow, as some have already said ground has tarmac behind goals and dugouts now.  Think they get a years grace to do the improvements to meet southern league grading, so if end of 2024 season they have not done the required work they get relegated anyway

49 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

Think they have planning and funding in place for a second seated stand, main issue and expense would be fitting turnstiles somewhere and somehow, as some have already said ground has tarmac behind goals and dugouts now.  Think they get a years grace to do the improvements to meet southern league grading, so if end of 2024 season they have not done the required work they get relegated anyway

Irrespective of ground grading stipulations the Ashes facilities need(ed) an upgrade. Club house is tired. Uncomfortable and limited single stand with so many seats reserved. Some of the smaller works done, as stated by others.

Strange club Saltash. Cliquey and unfriendly - and before people start, that is MY experience and maybe not yours. We get to the business end of the season and Mrs Chair and (hubby) the Treasurer go away for several weeks! On the field is convincing, but off the field? Hmmm. 

Despite this, the team have done so well. A team of great spirit, team ethic, commitment and relentlessly bagging 3 points despite adversity at times. Some very good players on the books, a fair few who have been with the Ashes for some time. 

I hope they can convince themselves and others that they could do OK as Southern League members. It is where this squad deserve to be!

On 27/03/2023 at 10:23, Drumming Nutter said:

Give the SL ‘a try’ - hardly a call to arms and convincing outlook if correct. We’ll know for sure when Mrs Chair gets back of hols of several weeks!!

19 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Irrespective of ground grading stipulations the Ashes facilities need(ed) an upgrade. Club house is tired. Uncomfortable and limited single stand with so many seats reserved. Some of the smaller works done, as stated by others.

Strange club Saltash. Cliquey and unfriendly - and before people start, that is MY experience and maybe not yours. We get to the business end of the season and Mrs Chair and (hubby) the Treasurer go away for several weeks! On the field is convincing, but off the field? Hmmm. 

Despite this, the team have done so well. A team of great spirit, team ethic, commitment and relentlessly bagging 3 points despite adversity at times. Some very good players on the books, a fair few who have been with the Ashes for some time. 

I hope they can convince themselves and others that they could do OK as Southern League members. It is where this squad deserve to be!

With rumours swirling about Shane Krac being in charge at Western League Blazey next season, could see several of this squad being at Blaise Park for the new campaign.

21 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Clubhouse- grants applied for and awaiting information.

Ground - a lot is resting on the renewable lease from Cornwall Council but as anyone knows they aren’t the quickest. Doesn’t help the uplift on raw materials in the last 12 months of over 30% if not more.

As for the holiday- booked in 2019 for 2020, then Covid hit. So hardly a crashing surprise. After all, having worked in NHS for many years as nurse then up to ward manager to semi retire and celebrating your 40th wedding anniversary in 2019 who wouldn’t want a long holiday? 

Perhaps as it’s my 50th next year I shouldn’t have a holiday in February to celebrate- as someone will no doubt say it’s a sign.