Cornwall Football Forum

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: ILFRACOMBE TOWN V HELSTON ATHLETIC

Piran

Why are Helston allowing a commentator to approach referees? Are referees reporting this because this is something that needs to start being issued against the club.i visit Helston more than most and I always see Steve come down from his camera shack and head straight for the ref or the refs changing room. He did it again yesterday 

More having a chat as the club’s Director of Football perhaps!

The refs can surely turn around and head for their changing room if anything becomes confrontational.

Dont we need to give the refs some credit in being able to assess on how a situation is going. The ref in this one seems perfectly comfortable.

43 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

More having a chat as the club’s Director of Football perhaps!

The refs can surely turn around and head for their changing room if anything becomes confrontational.

Dont we need to give the refs some credit in being able to assess on how a situation is going. The ref in this one seems perfectly comfortable.

Clearly Steve’s chat with the ref at half time had no bearing on the ref’s decision making capacities in the second half, particularly  when the Ilfracombe defender handled the ball in the penalty box. Steve and I had a friendly chat and some banter with the ref in the car park before we left. He explained the rules of the game as to why he denied Helston a penalty after the ball clearly touched the defender’s hand.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

He does have a point. Surly if there an issue Matt cusuck can talk to the ref as he the manger . Not a guy doing commentary on the clubs you tube highlights.  Regardless of his title Steve needs to separate himself from stuff like that.

But do we actually know what they were talking about? 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But do we actually know what they were talking about? 

Doesn't matter. Not named on the team sheet as a club official so shouldn't me on the field of play conversing with the officials. Especially as a member of "media" on the day. I believe the club were warned a few weeks ago about it when he entered the referees changing room to berate them about the IDFK for the 17 seconds handling by the goalkeeper. But, until officials report it as they should do, I doubt that Massey will listen to anyone at the club and then will risk a big fine when someone has the courage to report it.

If this was any other bloke other than Steve Massey this wouldn’t even be commented on 🙈🙈 honestly some of you lot on here make me laugh! He’s just having a conversation!! I know Vealey (the referee) very very well he was a no nonsense centre half (who volleyed me in the air on a few occasions) he was in the marines on top of that and he for one would not suffer fools gladly and had Mass stepped a single toe out of line, Vealey would’ve soon sent him on his bike!! I know Mass isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I know most of you don’t like him, but he’s gone through a lot these last few years personally and you guys just seem to give him a bashing at any opportunity going. He’s not in charge of the team anymore so can’t have a go at him for Helston’s results, so now you want to have a go at him for having a friendly chat with the referee it’s absolutely bonkers guys 🤯🤯🤯 mental health is a big thing these days just have a little think about how we single people out on here.

25 minutes ago, Stu B said:

If this was any other bloke other than Steve Massey this wouldn’t even be commented on 🙈🙈 honestly some of you lot on here make me laugh! He’s just having a conversation!! I know Vealey (the referee) very very well he was a no nonsense centre half (who volleyed me in the air on a few occasions) he was in the marines on top of that and he for one would not suffer fools gladly and had Mass stepped a single toe out of line, Vealey would’ve soon sent him on his bike!! I know Mass isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I know most of you don’t like him, but he’s gone through a lot these last few years personally and you guys just seem to give him a bashing at any opportunity going. He’s not in charge of the team anymore so can’t have a go at him for Helston’s results, so now you want to have a go at him for having a friendly chat with the referee it’s absolutely bonkers guys 🤯🤯🤯 mental health is a big thing these days just have a little think about how we single people out on here.

You’re right, but Mass is the only one who commentates and wants to be involved on the field!

No singling out, but say a contentious penalty is given second half following a similar one first half not given. Mass is seen talking to the referee at half time potentially having seen a replay. Not a good look is it.

All I am saying is there are clear protocols in place and the media are not allowed to have contact with the officials at any point once the game begins until the game ends. If Steve wants to speak to any officials that can be done after the game. Remember, it’s not the first time this has happened, for the game at Helston at the beginning of January I am told Steve invited himself into the referee changing room at half-time to berate them on a decision that turned out to be correct.

11 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

You’re right, but Mass is the only one who commentates and wants to be involved on the field!

No singling out, but say a contentious penalty is given second half following a similar one first half not given. Mass is seen talking to the referee at half time potentially having seen a replay. Not a good look is it.

All I am saying is there are clear protocols in place and the media are not allowed to have contact with the officials at any point once the game begins until the game ends. If Steve wants to speak to any officials that can be done after the game. Remember, it’s not the first time this has happened, for the game at Helston at the beginning of January I am told Steve invited himself into the referee changing room at half-time to berate them on a decision that turned out to be correct.

He’s been involved in football for how long now? Firstly as a player then as a manager and now he’s moved onto different pastures but he’s still a football man and was most probably on his way back to the Commentary box after getting cup of tea at half time and stopped to have a chat with Vealey, who’s to say Jon didn’t stop mass for a chat?? I don’t know what he did in January and not particularly interested if he did or didn’t do that. That’s for the referees to report it and for the Cornwall fa to investigate if it did happen, but the snide comments on here about a bloke who clearly just lives and breathes football are just not needed I have no qualms about having a debate on an incident at all but this isn’t a debate it’s just about bashing a bloke certain people don’t like and getting a few cheap shots in. I don’t like it I don’t think it’s very nice. 

7 hours ago, Stu B said:

He’s been involved in football for how long now? Firstly as a player then as a manager and now he’s moved onto different pastures but he’s still a football man and was most probably on his way back to the Commentary box after getting cup of tea at half time and stopped to have a chat with Vealey, who’s to say Jon didn’t stop mass for a chat?? I don’t know what he did in January and not particularly interested if he did or didn’t do that. That’s for the referees to report it and for the Cornwall fa to investigate if it did happen, but the snide comments on here about a bloke who clearly just lives and breathes football are just not needed I have no qualms about having a debate on an incident at all but this isn’t a debate it’s just about bashing a bloke certain people don’t like and getting a few cheap shots in. I don’t like it I don’t think it’s very nice. 

No cheap shots, someone else highlighted it and I just stated what should happen.

3 hours ago, bighairydave said:

No cheap shots, someone else highlighted it and I just stated what should happen.

Not saying your comments are necessarily cheap shots but a lot are on here and just don’t think they are needed have a debate by all means but the personal snide comments aren’t needed imo 

1 hour ago, Stu B said:

Not saying your comments are necessarily cheap shots but a lot are on here and just don’t think they are needed have a debate by all means but the personal snide comments aren’t needed imo 

Does seem ironic that on a forum where a lack of volunteers, committee members and skilled club officers is constantly highlighted as a concern, people have a dig at some one like Steve Massey who (no matter what your opinion of him as a manager and commentator) lives and breathes local football. 

I don’t think there was any real malice towards Steve mentioned above from reading  the comments  . More just an explanation of why he needs to be approaching officials at half time and not Matt doing it , if it’s just friendly chat surely that can wait till after . 
If anything it it sort undermines Matt position as the manger 

5 hours ago, mattelot said:

Was there any need to have Steve and the ref having a chat in the highlights ? Or was it done deliberately knowing it would spark a reaction .All Big Hairy Dave did was to point out the rules.

On this occasion the clip of Mass and the ref was not included to provoke a reaction. I like to mark half time as creatively as I can and the clip led in nicely into the rather humorous clip of Mass trying to negotiate the barrier.