WEST

Falmouth Town Reserves             3-1          Illogan RBL

Hayle                                     4-0          Truro City Reserves

Ludgvan                               4-3          Wendron United Reserves

Perranwell                          0-2          Perranporth

St Agnes                              9-0          Porthleven Reserves

St Day                                   6-0          St Ives Town

Falmouth Town 3, Illogan 1

Right result, really. I was there I suppose to see Illogan, though have been to Bickland often hoping to see them win!. Such is the roving football fan.

1 - 0 on 34, a half-cleared corner falling eventually to an unmarked player who scored.

2 - 0 on 49, a foul-up in Illogan's defence, missing three or four chances to get the ball clear before another close-range shot scored.

3 - 0 (pen) on 53. No argument: silly challenge.

3 - 1 0n 90+2, the classic consolation goal, some nice passing for once from Illogan leading to a net-buster of a shot.

Someone else will have to supply the names of the scorers.

My first visit to Bickland since before the lockdown and I must say they've been busy down there. The ground looks magnificent! New fencing tidies it up but in the stand there have been some really good improvements. The seats (1m apart?), the press box - I would have loved that in my Radio Cornwall days: looks like a new ISDN terminal, the access along the back of the stand from the steps (which are a bit daunting to an old timer a bit unsteady on his feet), the new accommodation for the home and away subs. Apparently money has been spent on the dressing rooms as well, although obviously I didn't see any of that: the ref even has an en-suite loo now! All newly painted and looking the dog's. Made for a very pleasant match-day experience. Pity about the same old linesman who today was flagging for offside as the ball left the passer's boot - who knows who was actually going to attempt to play the ball; how was the ref to know whether the player in the offside position was the one interfering with play?

As for Illogan, too many poor first touches, inaccurate or over-hit passes, players caught in possession (the latter was a MAJOR CRIME in my day!). Falmouth were almost as bad.  And the modern version of what was once a "contact" sport eludes my comprehension. "His foot was up, ref!" shouted one player. Difficult to do much without lifting your feet and stretching into a tackle leading with your big toe is asking for a broken ankle. If you want to win the ball you naturally want as much weight through the ball as possible which means, if you are stretching,  via the sole of your foot at the heel end to bring the tibia into the fray - which means bending your foot up to allow the right part of your foot access to the ball. This means studs are up, which is now seen as a cardinal sin. Leading with both feet off the ground I can understand as a foul as that is a drop-kick, a wrestling move, not football. But these days a clash of boots audible from the touchline evinces screams of objections and heaven help the lad who wins the ball! It must have been a foul! Oh for Chelsea v Leeds 1970 FA Cup Final Replay. Now THAT was football!

Lovely sausage sarnie, £2.30, tea £1, and flattering to be asked how old I was at the gate. 74, so £1 entry! Pleasant afternoon's entertainment and again, congrats to the club for the ground improvements. First saw the ground 48 years ago and it has never looked better than today.

16 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Falmouth Town 3, Illogan 1

Right result, really. I was there I suppose to see Illogan, though have been to Bickland often hoping to see them win!. Such is the roving football fan.

1 - 0 on 34, a half-cleared corner falling eventually to an unmarked player who scored.

2 - 0 on 49, a foul-up in Illogan's defence, missing three or four chances to get the ball clear before another close-range shot scored.

3 - 0 (pen) on 53. No argument: silly challenge.

3 - 1 0n 90+2, the classic consolation goal, some nice passing for once from Illogan leading to a net-buster of a shot.

Someone else will have to supply the names of the scorers.

My first visit to Bickland since before the lockdown and I must say they've been busy down there. The ground looks magnificent! New fencing tidies it up but in the stand there have been some really good improvements. The seats (1m apart?), the press box - I would have loved that in my Radio Cornwall days: looks like a new ISDN terminal, the access along the back of the stand from the steps (which are a bit daunting to an old timer a bit unsteady on his feet), the new accommodation for the home and away subs. Apparently money has been spent on the dressing rooms as well, although obviously I didn't see any of that: the ref even has an en-suite loo now! All newly painted and looking the dog's. Made for a very pleasant match-day experience. Pity about the same old linesman who today was flagging for offside as the ball left the passer's boot - who knows who was actually going to attempt to play the ball; how was the ref to know whether the player in the offside position was the one interfering with play?

As for Illogan, too many poor first touches, inaccurate or over-hit passes, players caught in possession (the latter was a MAJOR CRIME in my day!). Falmouth were almost as bad.  And the modern version of what was once a "contact" sport eludes my comprehension. "His foot was up, ref!" shouted one player. Difficult to do much without lifting your feet and stretching into a tackle leading with your big toe is asking for a broken ankle. If you want to win the ball you naturally want as much weight through the ball as possible which means, if you are stretching,  via the sole of your foot at the heel end to bring the tibia into the fray - which means bending your foot up to allow the right part of your foot access to the ball. This means studs are up, which is now seen as a cardinal sin. Leading with both feet off the ground I can understand as a foul as that is a drop-kick, a wrestling move, not football. But these days a clash of boots audible from the touchline evinces screams of objections and heaven help the lad who wins the ball! It must have been a foul! Oh for Chelsea v Leeds 1970 FA Cup Final Replay. Now THAT was football!

Lovely sausage sarnie, £2.30, tea £1, and flattering to be asked how old I was at the gate. 74, so £1 entry! Pleasant afternoon's entertainment and again, congrats to the club for the ground improvements. First saw the ground 48 years ago and it has never looked better than today.

We are fortunate to have an excellent chairman Tom , and also a lot of volunteers and people who care about the club on and off the pitch . Hence the improvements. Come down on wednesday evening for the local Derby against Penryn in the league Cup and sample the atmosphere of the F Troop, should be a cracker !

12 minutes ago, mattelot said:

We are fortunate to have an excellent chairman Tom , and also a lot of volunteers and people who care about the club on and off the pitch . Hence the improvements. Come down on wednesday evening for the local Derby against Penryn in the league Cup and sample the atmosphere of the F Troop, should be a cracker !

So where were you all when the club was going thru  the rough times when the ground fell into disrepair - bandwagon and jumping spring to mind!!!

Perranwell 0-2 Perranporth

Decided to take in the "Perran derby" at the new venue in Carnon Downs, which was a very nice place to watch football with the sun out, but could be a bit bleak in the winter if the wind and the rain come in!

Perranporth deservedly took all 3 points, but perhaps a 1 goal margin would have better reflected the balace of play. The visitors took the lead early in the second half, and only managed to add a second on 88' after Perranwell committed an extra player or two chasing an equaliser and got caught out on a break.

18 minutes ago, le boss said:

So where were you all when the club was going thru  the rough times when the ground fell into disrepair - bandwagon and jumping spring to mind!!!

Have been there through thick and thin for the last 54 years thanks popeye ! seen you during your combo days . See there was a big turnout at kellaway today .114,that's embarrassing. Did that include the 3 dogs and the squirrel that jumped over the fence at half time ? 😁🤣😂

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 4 September 2021