Cornwall Football Forum

referees in the Premiership

fenman

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

They could take a leaf out of Crickets book. Only allow VAR to be used following an appeal for review from one of the managers. Ten seconds to claim a VAR review after a referees decision, 2/3 reviews per team, per game, if your review is successful it is retained if overturned you lose it. When you run out of reviews it’s all down to the referee, as it is with umpires.

Now that is a good idea.

It cannot go on as it is...it is a farce.

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Shall we discuss again??  This time we'll talk about Lee Mason and Mike Dean, remember that VAR still has a human running it. Albeit incompetent ones

Agree with you Darren, but the players don’t help matters do they? Almost as if they are taking the mick as well! 

22 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

True. It would also help if a few of them had played the game!

In effect the players are cheating, and they’ll continue whilst they’re getting away with it!

They realise how poor the officials are.  There's no defending them now. Dean watched it about 20 times and still came to the conclusion that it was deliberate. 

They gave no one to answer to. No one sees their match reports 

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

That's an interesting point Dave. It would be interesting to know how many professional referees had played football - not necessarily at pro level, but at any level for a proper club. I'm sure most would have surely. I think I simply assumed that they all would have played the game at some level.

I think a few years ago most would have, but today with the money floating around it could be a career choice now.

The book I was trying hard to remember , that talked about the internal wrangling within  the referees organisation PGMOL is by Mark Halsey . Very interesting insight into the game from a referees perspective . its called Added time .

I think Paul Merson wrote his and is was called " Addled Times " 

Again VAR is in the news , this time from a Wolves supporters point of view it worked in our favour .. It's still difficult to understand the mind set of the rule makers , with these new rules on handball , offside etc. .

As regards the comparison with cricket and rugby and a VAR system I think we have to take into consideration that football is a different game in that the players have very little discipline compared with the other 2 sports . Cricket and rugby are far more disciplined in accepting decisions , whereas the majority of footballers will argue about most decisions even when they know they are wrong , and openly abuse officials . I think rather than conjure up  silly amendments to rules like shirt sleeve length for hand ball ,  accidental hand ball and so on , they would be far better being stricter on cheating  by diving , clamping down on abuse of officials and the surrounding of officials . The authorities seem to me to be afraid of enforcing discipline , we've had RESPECT  thrown at us for years now , what effect has it had ?  answers on a pin head please .

How refreshing was it last night to watch the Liverpool game with competent officials and no over analysing of var. One quick look at an incident and done. If it wasn't clear the officials got it wrong they just got on with it, exactly how var should be. 

Also the referee was in full control of the game. 

The incompetent officials in this country could take a long look at that and react accordingly 

39 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Where did the officials come from Darren?

Not 100% sure where they were from but the referee hgadnt had a lot of champions league experience.  But it was great not to hang around for VAR, there was an incident when Liverpool had a goal disallowed for the ball going out of play, it was really really tight, but the linesman flagged it off, they had a quick look and deemed it over the line abs got on with it.  In this country we'd have been drawing lines and checking if loads, but in Europe they go with clear and obvious error!! 

But back to the ref, he was good, handed out a few ywllows and all deserved but the game went at a fast pace because he wasn't delaying anything from happening. 

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I like the post Darren. However your last paragraph is unjust in my opinion. Not all the officials in this country are incompetent. It's VAR that must be scrapped. As you say, the match must be allowed to flow.

Don't forget it's officials who are running var. When there is a tight offside they are looking for anything to give it offside, in Europe they have a quick look and make a quick decision. 

OK, not all are incompetent, just the vast majority

42 minutes ago, Keith B said:

However your last paragraph is unjust in my opinion. Not all the officials in this country are incompetent. It's VAR that must be scrapped. As you say, the match must be allowed to flow.

It would appear though Keith that the more familiar they have become with VAR, the impression is that they have become lazy almost knowing that the decision will be made elsewhere! 

As with cricket Dave.

International Umpires do not make decisions on even the most obvious run-outs, stumpings, no balls any more as they know that the third umpire will do the job for them. As with football, the poor sods at lower levels have to make the decisions without any help. Strange how the top level refs/umpires seem to need the help, but the rest don't.

18 hours ago, djs said:

As with cricket Dave.

International Umpires do not make decisions on even the most obvious run-outs, stumpings, no balls any more as they know that the third umpire will do the job for them. As with football, the poor sods at lower levels have to make the decisions without any help. Strange how the top level refs/umpires seem to need the help, but the rest don't.

To be fair to the umpires, pre 3rd umpire they needed three sets of eyes to check no balls, wickets/stumpings and catches all in different directions in less than a second. And they had to do this for 540+ balls per day over five days, often in the burning sun (England excepted of course). Football referees are softies by comparison.

4 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Don’t all these opinions show that we need more technology to aid hard pressed referees, not less. It just has to work! Is that too much to ask?

(I eagerly anticipate a “yes” from someone!)

The biggest question is how can they be trained? 

Consistency is the biggest thing that's required, rather than their  own interpretation of sonething. 

4 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Another week goes, anther farcical decision from a referee 

No surprise that it was Lee Mason, another who has a catalogue of mistakes, but he continues to referee and doesn't have to answer to anyone 

It’s the same ones though. There are a few who are just quietly going about there business.

To miss two penalties Brighton can only blame themselves for losing though.

50 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Agree Dave. At the time Lee Mason looked bemused, he didn't seem to know whether he'd blown already or not. Perhaps his time of refereeing should come to an end. I looked at his face and thought 'oh dear, he looks as if he's not with us'. 

I think he's been ok in the past (Darren won't agree) - but, maybe he should carefully consider his future as a ref. 

He was, due to be 4th official for thr Sheff Utd v Liverpool game this evening, but he's injured!!  That's very convenient. Once again, they have no one to answer to and just get away with poor performances 

A few weeks ago the Wolves manager Nuno told the F.A.  that he didn't want Mason to referee anymore of his teams games . He said that he spoilt games by his constant stopping of play and his behavior toward players . As result he was heavily fined  for his comments, the Southampton manager made a similar comment recently . Perhaps both managers were a little concerned about Masons ability from a health point of view and the F.A. ignored them  and this is the result . 

46 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Surely somebody must assess them periodically, to make sure they are still up to it in terms of fitness and interpretation of the laws of the game.

Well if that is so, he needs a medical check up. If he's not still A1 in all respects, that's sad, but he will have to stand down surely. His past record is good - I looked him up.

You think so??? 

Is that was the case, how come Mason, Atwell, Moss, Pawlson are still there?  

I don't think there's many others coming through

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of men in the middle, these two podcasts below (about 30 minutes each) are a wonderful listen. They are about the great Abraham Klein, the Israeli who officiated the Brazil v England World Cup match in 1970 and is rated as possibly the best referee of the modern game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2020/jun/03/abraham-klein-the-master-of-the-whistle-part-one-podcast-forgotten-stories-of-football

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2020/jun/10/abraham-klein-the-master-of-the-whistle-part-two-podcast

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

I have to say, I thought that Mike Dean was wrong in awarding Harry Kane a penalty this last weekend. VAR wrong too in my book. Kane fell as his feet slipped - no contact with the player that I could see. 

Actually, don't lets start this over again Darren 🙂.

Told ya, they're all rubbish

11 hours ago, Keith B said:

One wonders what sort of referee Darren would make ?

I don't want to be a referee, why do conversations about a referee have to go back to "could you do a better job" 

Referees choose to be in that position. At the top level of the game, they get paid extremely well, they have the benefit of VAR yet still make ridiculous decisions, and they continue to get a gig every weekend. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Let's get the players to stop cheating and keep their mouths shut...that would help.

I agree. But is this down to the referee as well? The higher you go the more you get away with.  

Swear at a ref at mining div 3 you get sent off, consistently swear at a referee in the South Western league and you get away with it?  Why??? 

35 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I agree. But is this down to the referee as well? The higher you go the more you get away with.  

Swear at a ref at mining div 3 you get sent off, consistently swear at a referee in the South Western league and you get away with it?  Why??? 

It has all come from the top and filtered to our level too.

Society itself now feels empowered to do and say what they like, and it's wrong.

Look at the Bristol riots...England...really! Disgraceful lack of control by the usual suspects no doubt. 

Throw the bloody book at them. Attack the police for doing their job...wrong on all levels, no respect, no control, what's next...kill a policeman/ woman for protecting us from the mob.

Times are tough enough at the moment without this nonsense. 

The controls are in place for our benefit and its about time everyone took notice.

It will end, we just have to wait a bit longer. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 13:33, St Darren said:

Thought of Darren this weekend, some appalling refereeing on view. The decision to disallow the Cavani goal was pitiful. how any referee can watch the reply of that and do anything other than book son for his pathetic reaction is beyond me