Cornwall Football Forum

TRELAWNY LEAGUE - BOXING DAY 2019

7 hours ago, Pitty said:

12 O Clock kick off - Pitch has passed the inspection this morning GAME ON.

On another note can’t believe this is the only game scheduled for the Trelawny league today! What has happened to clubs requesting to have a local derby during the festive season?

• I have enough trouble getting a squad for a Saturday, let alone a Boxing Day when everyone is hungover/already busy
  • A St Pirans match had no official available I believe
  • If we were at home, as the one man band who marks the pitch and sometimes gets the help putting nets up, it's not how I want to spend my boxing day morning
  • As a family man, my wife, a carer, worked Christmas Day and today from about 3 meaning a) our time together is brief and b) I would need childcare for a match

Holmans 4-1 Illogan

safe to say we enjoyed the Boxing Day experience today Attendance not a record breaker at 50 and over the years a Holmans win not always been the outcome when sadly Illogan have come up trumps but always a fixture to look forward to no matter what the position of the two teams and a rather sad statement of local football when these two sides are the only ones to contest a local derby at grassroots football 🤔

3 hours ago, Pitty said:

Holmans 4-1 Illogan

safe to say we enjoyed the Boxing Day experience today Attendance not a record breaker at 50 and over the years a Holmans win not always been the outcome when sadly Illogan have come up trumps but always a fixture to look forward to no matter what the position of the two teams and a rather sad statement of local football when these two sides are the only ones to contest a local derby at grassroots football 🤔

Poor game to watch and not like the old days

7 hours ago, bigbadbarry said:

I must admit I have to agree, having watched a few St Piran games & Combination over the past two weeks the standard of football in this game was well below that of those mentioned, id like to add that even the combo games I saw wasn’t worth the £2 fee. Is the standard in Cornwall on a massive decline? Both of these teams would struggle in the combo which isn’t great this season. Or am I doing these teams an injustice did they have a lot of players missing because it was Boxing Day? I thought the pitch held up ok considering the amount of rain we’ve had over these two weeks, but both teams seem to play a lot of long balls and I don’t think this was as a result of the pitch just the natural panicking way of lower league footballers nowadays. 

34 minutes ago, Sijames said:

I must admit I have to agree, having watched a few St Piran games & Combination over the past two weeks the standard of football in this game was well below that of those mentioned, id like to add that even the combo games I saw wasn’t worth the £2 fee. Is the standard in Cornwall on a massive decline? Both of these teams would struggle in the combo which isn’t great this season. Or am I doing these teams an injustice did they have a lot of players missing because it was Boxing Day? I thought the pitch held up ok considering the amount of rain we’ve had over these two weeks, but both teams seem to play a lot of long balls and I don’t think this was as a result of the pitch just the natural panicking way of lower league footballers nowadays. 

🤣🤣🤣. Well if Holmans go up next season into the mighty Combo & we get relegated I will be sure to find your quote above to say how right you were. 😆😆😆 I better get in touch with the 6 lads that love playing with there mates to tell them to go and play full time for the higher league teams they play for in the peninsula league and the St Piran league when we don’t have a game. Thanks for the Friday nibble I enjoyed that one . Merry Xmas Si 

Let’s be honest if the 6 lads were that good they’d be tied up with a lucrative weekly / gamely fee that would make turning out for the mighty Holmans the last thing they’d do if free. I was purely saying based upon what I’ve seen recently, the leagues don’t lie and sadly the standard of players & teams locally are on the decline. 

16 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Let’s be honest if the 6 lads were that good they’d be tied up with a lucrative weekly / gamely fee that would make turning out for the mighty Holmans the last thing they’d do if free. I was purely saying based upon what I’ve seen recently, the leagues don’t lie and sadly the standard of players & teams locally are on the decline. 

Not disagreeing with some of your points but the biggest thing perhaps you’ve never had is half of them are great mates they enjoy each other’s company 5 went to the same school same year etc . By the way it’s not all about playing for money . As for the decline in standard of football that’s happening for many many reasons the combo league for instance should not even be a league anymore . Since the St Piran league was established the majority are of course the ex combo teams . I could go on for ever about a decline in football & why it’s happening but I’ve got to get back to playing Fortnite 👍

17 hours ago, bigbadbarry said:

Well let's be honest.. it's a lower standard..and its Holmans vs Illogan 2nds... the old days it was the two first teams and both were relativeley strong.. 

Who knows Holmans may climb up the leagues and the BIG game will happen again one day.

Well done Holmans on your win.

1 hour ago, S Abbo said:

Well let's be honest.. it's a lower standard..and its Holmans vs Illogan 2nds... the old days it was the two first teams and both were relativeley strong.. 

Who knows Holmans may climb up the leagues and the BIG game will happen again one day.

Well done Holmans on your win.

😂😂