Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town to sell Bickland Park?

Guest john

From the back page of todays Falmouth Packet. Falmouth are looking to relocate the ground to take the club forward. I think this would be a good move for the club and wish them the best for the future.

In addition if Town win the league this season they will not now gain promotion to the western league premier league. please see the packet for details.

A very interesting article and it does make sense. At least the profits will stay in the club and not go into some property devolpers pocket. It would be a real shame as well for them not to take promotion. They have suffered some bad times of late and a new start might just be the right thing to do. It seems as if this is the way to go what with Truro and Saltash aiming to got to pastures new. To be fair Bickland Park is a dump and spending a lot of money on it may not be the way to go.

Guest Postie Pidge

To be fair Bickland Park is a dump and spending a lot of money on it may not be the way to go.

Maybe the case but it's still by far the best developed ground in Cornwall and possibly Devon as well (non league)

That is the main reason to move from Bickland Park, Spider. You always seem to play too well against Town there. On a serious note though, I believe that Falmouth will only move if it is in their best interests. There is no room to develop the ground. A second and possibly third pitch are desperately required to accomodate all the senior teams, as well as the youth, ladies and girls teams. One of these would possible be a 3G all weather pitch. An indoor fitness centre for the players to use and to offer to the community would be an advantage.

The main pitch would be totally enclosed with covered standing ALL around the ground and a seated stand on one side. Brighter floodlights would also be installed. Falmouth (as a town) desperately needs better facilities to encourage the young people to become more active in a positive way and the club feel that not only would they be improving their own facilities but also for the people of Falmouth.

Having said that, the way the ground is developed needs to promote self sufficiency so there would be an aim to generate more income in various ways. But this all depends on finance. Town could never compete with Truro City's plans, and these are a lot more modest by comparison. Just have to wait and see what the future holds, but if it does happen, then it will be a place that people and players will want to come to. :)

I have been going to Bickland park to watch Football almost from the day that town moved there from Ashfield,

& indeed one of the best grounds in the County, But I have to say that over the last three years the (Ground not the pitch)

has been going down hill fast, the shelters either end are falling apart, to walk around from one end to the other is muddy, Long grass, & the slope by the hole in the wall is very Dangerous to walk on when wet,

to be truthfull I agree with the Club report in the F Packet that it will take a lot of money to bring it up to standard,

I will have a guess at sugesting that Tesco's would be interested in buying the site as the are desparate to get out of Falmouth Town centre,

So to the Club with the best Football history in the County, (yes & that includes Truro) good luck, I can also understand the reasons for not wanting to go up next season if they win the League,

Hammers :SM_carton_y:t ime is up Bickland Park :thumbsup::yahoo::c: :c:

Guest Postie Pidge

It would/will be a sad day if this is the end of Bickland with all the local and some national legends who have played there but before any more speculation starts, nobody has enquired and nor have the club spoken to anyone about buying the ground. The whole process is in the very early stages.

The ground could do with a few quid being spent on it but I can tell you from 10 years of experience, I still used to get excited playing there at the end of my career.

The ground sometimes works against the Falmouth players. When the opposition came in sometimes you knew it was their only trip to the ground in a season and they'd "up their game" when they played.

Fantastic ground and club and still an honour to have been a player there.

Guest the grey haired badger

IF THEY SOLD BICKLAND WHERE COULD THEY REBUILD WITHIN EASY REACH OF TOWN.QUITE A BIT HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED IN THE PACKET ABOUT AFFORDABLE HOUSING AND THEY CANT FIND LAND FOR THAT.IN FALMOUTH AREA THERE ARE ONLY TWO THREE PITCHES IN USE FOR SOCCER OUTSIDE BICKLAND TO SERVE 7 TEAMS.I DONT THINK FALMOUTH SCHOOL WOULD SELL ANY LAND AROUND UNION CORNER AREA TO THE CLUB TO REALOCATE AND THATS ABOUT ALL THERE IS IN THE TOWN.ASK ANYONE TO DO WITH CORNISH SOCCER AND THEY WILL TELL YOU BICKLAND PARK THE HOME OF FALMOUTH TOWN IS THE BEST GROUND IN THE COUNTY :SM_carton: