Cornwall Football Forum

Save Millbrook!

Just saw the below link on social media. 

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-our-football-club?utm_source=crowdfunder&utm_medium=dashboardmodel&utm_content=shareonfacebook&utm_campaign=marketing

Reading the blurb with the page, it says that the club has £30,000 of debt!

Very sad state of affairs at what is generally a nice club to visit. I haven't been there since their first season back in the Swpl West but I'll now make a point of visiting to show my support. 

Fantastic little club.

Had three great seasons down there between 2003 - 2006.

Unfortunately I think all the committee members that were around when I played and that used to put all there time into making the club work have sadly passed away and the club has since been short on volunteers stepping forward to fill those gaps.

Hope they survive and the club gets back on its feet.

I have mixed feelings when reading this tbh. It's very sad that such an old club finds itself in trouble and nobody wants to see a club go under. However, I think you need to be much more up front about exactly how the debts were incurred and how such a thing will be avoided in the future. Stating you have a £9,000 debt that needs to be paid ASAP without further details and promising you won't do it again isn't going to cut it IMO.

Also this initial pledge won't even secure the future of the club because you're just paying off a more immediate debt, so just stalling? Again not a great motivating factor for potential donators. If i'm reading this all correctly.

So with that said I would make one suggestion. I think with crowdfunding you need to offer something that simply can't be bought and be really creative about it. So offering some value or perceived value at least. £100 for the remainder of home games for the season? I can just pay £4 x 10 or whatever it is. I understand that is not the point but nobody is going to go for that.

Are you able to offer naming rights for your ground and also for the stand? I think those two things alone could generate some interest far beyond what you have offered so far. Maybe you could allow someone the chance to choose the design of next season's kit or design it themselves. A special dedication on the kit for next season or anything like that you can dream up.

8 minutes ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

I have mixed feelings when reading this tbh. It's very sad that such an old club finds itself in trouble and nobody wants to see a club go under. However, I think you need to be much more up front about exactly how the debts were incurred and how such a thing will be avoided in the future. Stating you have a £9,000 debt that needs to be paid ASAP without further details and promising you won't do it again isn't going to cut it IMO.

Also this initial pledge won't even secure the future of the club because you're just paying off a more immediate debt, so just stalling? Again not a great motivating factor for potential donators. If i'm reading this all correctly.

So with that said I would make one suggestion. I think with crowdfunding you need to offer something that simply can't be bought and be really creative about it. So offering some value or perceived value at least. £100 for the remainder of home games for the season? I can just pay £4 x 10 or whatever it is. I understand that is not the point but nobody is going to go for that.

Are you able to offer naming rights for your ground and also for the stand? I think those two things alone could generate some interest far beyond what you have offered so far. Maybe you could allow someone the chance to choose the design of next season's kit or design it themselves. A special dedication on the kit for next season or anything like that you can dream up.

RE naming rights. They only renamed their ground in the past couple of years after a former player who passed away so I very much doubt that will happen. 

I have no affiliation with the club by the way. 

If there were matches with Plymouth Argyle, it wasn't greatly advertised. Try and get Exeter City and Torquay United involved. Maybe Yeovil Town as well. When the weather improves have a fun day at the ground. I'll bet there are locals in the village who have never been to the ground/club. Get them involved too. Offer the ground to the CCFA for any semi finals, finals or representative games. The lack of floodlights will mean they won't get a midweek semi final but there might be a game (County Youth game) that they could stage in south east Cornwall.

Sadly a lot of other clubs are in the same predicament. Hopefully if Millbrook reach the Senior Cup semi, there will be a small pay day there.

Just received and requested to post and what a great gesture :

FROM MOUSEHOLE AFC

We at Mousehole AFC wish to show our support for a fellow amateur club, whose friendship and continued existence we value highly – even though we are at opposite ends of the county. 

This Saturday, starting after our home match with Holsworthy, we’re having a social get-together involving all our teams’ players, supporters and friends, at which we intend to hold a collection to support the Millbrook cause. 

This may be only a small gesture, but it might prompt others into action, so that lots of little sums add up to something substantial.

How on earth does a village football team get itself into £30,000 worth of debt?  This is serious money by any stretch of the imagination and calls into account those involved with the club in recent seasons. Did no one have any knowledge that the club was heading for the precipice?

To raise £30,000 or even the initial £9,000 is totally eye watering, to say the least. But I wish those involved in trying to save this little club the very best of luck.

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Just received and requested to post and what a great gesture :

FROM MOUSEHOLE AFC

We at Mousehole AFC wish to show our support for a fellow amateur club, whose friendship and continued existence we value highly – even though we are at opposite ends of the county. 

This Saturday, starting after our home match with Holsworthy, we’re having a social get-together involving all our teams’ players, supporters and friends, at which we intend to hold a collection to support the Millbrook cause. 

This may be only a small gesture, but it might prompt others into action, so that lots of little sums add up to something substantial.

This is the same Mousehole who have had their own recent issues and were knocked out of the Senior Cup by Millbrook - what a classy gesture

If all the other SWPL clubs had a whip around at their next home match the initial 50% total would be reached.  The club are trying to deal with the situation now.  The past is the past.    All they need is the chance to amend mistakes not of their doing.  So give them all the support.                                                                                                                                                      

Total raised by 1am Thursday is £3,089   Keep it going                                                                                                                                                   

9 hours ago, ECPL said:

Total raised by 1am Thursday is £3,089   Keep it going                                                                                                                                                   

ECPL have you donated?

Not yet Willow Tree, will wait until meeting on Friday.  Now up to £3,300                                                                                                                                             

For me it is a Millbrook problem, and the immediate community of Milbrook.

I know crowd funding, and all of the other ways that are popular today will probably save the day in the short term, long term who knows.

This will show whether the people of Milbrook want a community football club or not.....their choice - nothing to do with me, or anyone else for that matter.

Millbrook today....who will it be tomorrow (?) probably 25% of the clubs in Cornwall are looking at sizeable deficits, the biggest of course is Truro, is everyone going to give them a couple of quid (would need to be weekly) no chance....so for me  - no difference.

How does a utility company like British Gas allow a small football club to run up a £9,000 bill and on the other side of the coin how can said club owe that much unless this has dragged on for years?

Half up front and then several hundred £1 per month, what, on home gates of 25. The odd raffle or playing a vets side will not find the extra £4,000 

I guess most of the £30,000 owed is to private individuals, not local suppliers. Suppliers would want to balance the books so will want quick payment. Debt built up over a decade, £3.000 a year on average, £60 a week. So gate money plus this £60, plus private donations keep Millbrook going.

They are robbing Peter to pay Paul by saying give us money now and not pay admission for the rest of the season. So gate money will go down but running costs will stay the same so where will this extra be found?

Give all yourselves, who have donated, a pat on the back for delaying what we all know is inevitable. The club can not afford to run a side in the SWPL, not matter how well the club is doing on the pitch, as it doesn't seem to excite the interest of the locals in the village bringing cash through the turnstiles or over the bar.

We will get this sudden rush of interest now but in a month when the first instalment is due or maybe the second it will be sorry British Gas we don't have it, or once again will the club look to a private individual to dip into their pocket to pay it, adding to that £30,000 debt.

I know I will be vilified for the above but they are not the only club struggling and I would rather give my money to the side I support.

19 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

How does a utility company like British Gas allow a small football club to run up a £9,000 bill and on the other side of the coin how can said club owe that much unless this has dragged on for years?

Half up front and then several hundred £1 per month, what, on home gates of 25. The odd raffle or playing a vets side will not find the extra £4,000 

I guess most of the £30,000 owed is to private individuals, not local suppliers. Suppliers would want to balance the books so will want quick payment. Debt built up over a decade, £3.000 a year on average, £60 a week. So gate money plus this £60, plus private donations keep Millbrook going.

They are robbing Peter to pay Paul by saying give us money now and not pay admission for the rest of the season. So gate money will go down but running costs will stay the same so where will this extra be found?

Give all yourselves, who have donated, a pat on the back for delaying what we all know is inevitable. The club can not afford to run a side in the SWPL, not matter how well the club is doing on the pitch, as it doesn't seem to excite the interest of the locals in the village bringing cash through the turnstiles or over the bar.

We will get this sudden rush of interest now but in a month when the first instalment is due or maybe the second it will be sorry British Gas we don't have it, or once again will the club look to a private individual to dip into their pocket to pay it, adding to that £30,000 debt.

I know I will be vilified for the above but they are not the only club struggling and I would rather give my money to the side I support.

Also the swpl and the cornwall fa could stop charging such hefty annual fees for no benefit to club or local football ?

24 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Also the swpl and the cornwall fa could stop charging such hefty annual fees for no benefit to club or local football ?

But that does not account for the £30,000 plus this £9,000 debt.

Also is quoting the £30,000 a bit of a red herring to get people to donate. How much of it is wanted now, this minute?

Sounds like most of it is long term debt that does not want paying now but owed to individuals who have said pay me back when the club can afford it, and to be honest, it can't.

Up to £4,350                                                                                                                                             

It is pointless going on about the past, what has happened has happened and these people have taken up the challenge. The past is nothing to do with them. They should be encouraged, not vilified. They didn't walk away because they are Millbrook people who are determined to do their best for the club and their community.  We should be praising them for trying to save the third oldest club in Cornwall.    I see it is over £4,700, someone cares.  It is great credit to Mousehole who were the first ones to step in to help,   I also note that not a single player of both teams receives any money or expenses.  Many of them are local lads and deserve to have a local football team to play for.  They will survive and good on them for trying.  The club is now going to be run as a business with the social side and the football being separate entities.  So if you have nothing to do this afternoon then pop along to Jenkins Park to support both Millbrook and Dobwalls. 

I have often wondered how accountable football club committees are.  Do they not have responsibilities? Are they able to run up debts and then simply walk away? 

Whilst I have every sympathy with Millbrook football club, I do find the actions of the previous committee culpable and they should be named, if they are responsible. After all, someone is responsible!

The liability for any debts depends on the club's legal status.  If they are an unincorporated association, which is likely, i think the club members are jointly liable, whoever they are, but I might be wrong!  That's why club members should go to AGMs and ask probing questions!

Why did the league re arrange the Millbrook v Dobwalls match.  The referee was informed but not both clubs as both teams arrived ready to play.  Thank goodness Al Johns was there and refereed the game - and decided not to accept his match fee. .  

3 hours ago, ECPL said:

Why did the league re arrange the Millbrook v Dobwalls match.  The referee was informed but not both clubs as both teams arrived ready to play.  Thank goodness Al Johns was there and refereed the game - and decided not to accept his match fee. .  

What was the re-arrangement? As far as I can see it was always 2:15 on 28/1/17

Likewise Millbrook.  They tried their damnedest to get hold of the referee before the match but could not.  Thank goodness Al Johns was on hand to referee which was agreed by the league.  He even awarded two penalties against his own team. 

18 minutes ago, ECPL said:

Likewise Millbrook.  They tried their damnedest to get hold of the referee before the match but could not.  Thank goodness Al Johns was on hand to referee which was agreed by the league.  He even awarded two penalties against his own team. 

Sounds like @karaoke nearly went from hero to villian! Well done to him for agreeing to do the game and for forsaking his match fee. :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, ECPL said:

Still no news why the league re assigned the referee.  The least they could have done was inform the clubs.  

Thinking about this a little more - it's the CCFA that appoint the refs, not the league.

And from what I gather the originally appointed ref was not confirmed by Millbrook as per the usual procedure requirements. Probably all the other financial concerns were a distraction! :ninja: