Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Select XI v Plymouth Argyle Legends

Troon AFC are proud to announce that we will be hosting the Jolly’s Combination XI v Plymouth Argyle Legends on Sun 14th Apr 13, 14:00 Ko.

The Combo XI will be an ‘experienced one’, as requested by the Argyle management as they normally only play veteran or select teams, ST Just manager Steve Curnow is the manager for the Combo Select team and will be selecting his squad over the coming weeks, once he has selected his squad I will of course put it up on here, in the mean time I’d be interested to know who you think should be in the squad, we’d be looking at around 14-16 players…….

Plymouth Argyle Legends are a squad of ex players and managers who travel around the South West playing against other select teams, their main objective of doing this is to raise money for much needed charities, but also to help out any former players and managers to may have fallen on hard times. This game’s chosen charity is Help for Heroes, Prince Harry recently stated "So many of our Servicemen and women have made the ultimate sacrifice; so many lives have been lost and so many changed forever by the wounds that they have suffered in the course of their duties. For these selfless people, it is after the guns have fallen silent, the din of battle quietened, that the real fight begins – a fight that may last for the rest of their lives."

Some of the players who you can expect to see on the day are Tommy Tynan, who during his career reached the Qtr Finals of the European Cup, and scored 257 goals in 629 professional appearances, Rhys Wilmot, the ex Arsenal goal keeper is now a youth coach for Plymouth Argyle, Chris Harrison, a Cornishman who also played for recent Capital One Cup Winners Swansea City, and many more, I’m sure there’s a few of you on here who could name some other Legends from the 80’s…….

This will be a fun and memorable day for all, the Plymouth Legends are staying around for an hour or so after the game to allow you, the spectators a chance to have a chat, take some pictures etc. Prices are: Adults: £4; Concessions: (Under 16/Over 60) £2, again this is a brilliant charity and ALL gate money will be donated to said charity so please make the effort to attend and also show your support for the Combo XI and any possible players from your clubs.

There will be hot food, fully stocked bar, a programme, and hot and cold drinks available throughout the day.

If anyone has any questions regarding this fixture please PM me on here, see you all there!

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Curnow has sent me the squad for the above game, if this could be passed along to the players, and confirmations either PM'd to me on here, or contact Steve Curnow on 07773017171 which would be easier that would be great, could i ask this is done sooner rather than later so he can fill any gaps if players cant make it, this game is for a great cause in Help For Heroe's, and also a great chance for players to represent their clubs in such a prestigious game, remember this squad, as requested by the Plymouth Legends Manager is an 'experianced' one.......! the squad is:-

B Wyatt (GK) - illogan

R Bull (GK) - St Agnes

R Troon - ST Just

B Bryant - Falmouth Town

L Patchett - ST Just

A Barnicoat - Wendron

D Pullen - illogan

G Carew - Pendeen

T Cape - ST Just

J Miles - ST Day

D Ball - ST Just

I Gosling - Goonhavern

J Marles - Troon

N Curnow - ST Just

B Wheeler - Falmouth Town

R Bray - illogan

M Day - ST Day

J May - ST Ives

Hopefully we will see plenty of people on the day from all clubs, come and show your support for a great charity.

thanks in advance

All clubs should nominate two players from their club who they think should be included, then the combo manager should select from those a much fairer way of selection and more money to be made as more clubs with an interest in the team will be more likely to attend ( how many will drive from St Just to attend the match) Maybe as Troon are hosting the event their own manager may have liked to select the side?

Steve has been asked to pick an experienced team not necessary the best team as i dont think some of the legends want to be chasing around lads in their 20's.....still some cracking players in the squad though.

Eaxctly - the side was to be one of experience, not the best. We could all pick a "better" squad than the one above, but it's against a "veterans side" and its for charity - let's not get too cut up about it!

All clubs should nominate two players from their club who they think should be included, then the combo manager should select from those a much fairer way of selection and more money to be made as more clubs with an interest in the team will be more likely to attend ( how many will drive from St Just to attend the match) Maybe as Troon are hosting the event their own manager may have liked to select the side?

Troon gaffa is happy he is in the side! Ha

Posted · Hidden by Dave Deacon, March 21, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Dave Deacon, March 21, 2013 - No reason given

Leaving aside my alleged capacity for nasal excavation, it is disappointing to hear St Just's genuine Mourinho being second guessed by Truro's stupidest embarrassment.

My apologies in advance, if he regards my calling him stupid to be insensitive. I thought he knew he was stupid already. :D

When Steve kindly consented to manage Vidal's Combo Army , I recall that the biggest handicap was John Roberts, out of sheer pique at the appointment, immediately refusing to keep the rotting kit in his garage any longer. Had it not been for the kindness of Wendron FC in offering to help out with storage, there would have been no Combo Select team because nobody else was prepared to take the job.

Furthermore, Combo Select Elevens generally need to be Combo Select 45s in order to guarantee a full team turning up on the day of the match. Credit those who are reliable for covering for the unreliable and saving this embarrassingly run league embarrassment, no matter which club they represent.

Leaving aside my alleged capacity for nasal excavation, it is disappointing to hear St Just's genuine Mourinho being second guessed by Truro's stupidest embarrassment.

My apologies in advance, if he regards my calling him stupid to be insensitive. I thought he knew he was stupid already. :D

When Steve kindly consented to manage Vidal's Combo Army , I recall that the biggest handicap was John Roberts, out of sheer pique at the appointment, immediately refusing to keep the rotting kit in his garage any longer. Had it not been for the kindness of Wendron FC in offering to help out with storage, there would have been no Combo Select team because nobody else was prepared to take the job.

Furthermore, Combo Select Elevens generally need to be Combo Select 45s in order to guarantee a full team turning up on the day of the match. Credit those who are reliable for covering for the unreliable and saving this embarrassingly run league embarrassment, no matter which club they represent.

Now now .. i have found John Roberts very good to contact and his job is not easy with the amount of games being postponed this season .

Cannot believe in my current 'shape' and form, I didn't make it into Mr Curnows plans. However, Neil and myself in the middle of the park would have been a proper box to box combination. (him in the oppositon box, me stuck in ours)

Seriously though, sounds like fun, tough to pick as there will always be dissapointment. Had it been a normal Select XI there would have been others to mention.

Like the idea of each club nomiating two players for any future games though - good idea.

. Rodney you really are thick for some one so intelligent ,what I should do is tape all the conversations when talking about you including all from st just,the biggest embarrassment ever to be involved with the club,but then with your own delusions of grandeur you think they all love you.

Cannot believe in my current 'shape' and form, I didn't make it into Mr Curnows plans. However, Neil and myself in the middle of the park would have been a proper box to box combination. (him in the oppositon box, me stuck in ours)

Seriously though, sounds like fun, tough to pick as there will always be dissapointment. Had it been a normal Select XI there would have been others to mention.

Like the idea of each club nomiating two players for any future games though - good idea.

I thought you had only ever been one shape Dean??

" Rodney you really are thick for some one so intelligent ,what I should do is tape all the conversations when talking about you including all from st just,the biggest embarrassment ever to be involved with the club,but then with your own delusions of grandeur you think they all love you. "

Not quite all, Truro's Gofor, although your true nature is perhaps reflected in your wish to record conversations to substantiate your nastiness. Without permission of the participants, presumably ? Nice. The vernacular term, I understand,is saddo.

For most of the time I was at St Just, they were winners. Primary credit for that is to Steve and his players, though there were one or two things I and others contributed in the background that may in some small way have helped. Building a successful club doesn't always go along with courting popularity. Like everywhere else, St Just has some great people and one or two who are probably bitter, two-faced, envious losers.

The love of the latter would be dangerous :glad to hear their discourses with the likes of you are still so transparently in character.

But you,coming from the metropolitan heartland, the capital city club, the fanfare-blowing, pyramid-leaping White Tigers, must, I'm sure,understand this already, as it mirrors you so accurately.

Enjoy Boscawen Park. The drainage is wonderful at this time of year and Mr Heaney's housing development behind Trennick Mill has an excellent view of your future pitch. :)

You remind me of the kind of little boy who shouts ungrammatical abuse when faced by reasoned arguments.

I'm sorry if you consider me sadistic. This was not my intention, although I can see that your education might be a long and wearisome process, including some emotional pain, principally for those attempting to enhance your mental condition.

Just go and cut the grass or something. It's the sort of job you can no doubt do very well without making a fool of yourself. No hard feelings: the pitch at Truro City used to look very nice.

How about a Combo Legends Team

Here is mine

Gk- Peter Ellis

RB- Peter Grenfell

CB- Randall 'The Butcher'

CB- Kevin Richards

LB- Peter Kelly

RM- Uncle Les

CM- Burt Lawry

CM- Steve Curnow

LM- Robbbie Stephens

CF- David N'Jie

CF- Bobby Sweeny

Subs-

Johnny Hill

Rabbitt

Kevin Swain

Manager

Vidal James

Assistant

Isaac Rosenberg

Linesman

Sid 'The handkerchief'

Still too many St Just men?

You remind me of the kind of little boy who shouts ungrammatical abuse when faced by reasoned arguments.I'm sorry if you consider me sadistic. This was not my intention, although I can see that your education might be a long and wearisome process, including some emotional pain, principally for those attempting to enhance your mental condition.Just go and cut the grass or something. It's the sort of job you can no doubt do very well without making a fool of yourself. No hard feelings: the pitch at Truro City used to look very nice.

. So you don't run Penzance down,plus mr Roberts ,and no I can't out write you but would sooner be a Little boy,than a Lille weasel who not many pepole like or care about,I still remember you watching Chelsea in the worst ever f.a cup at truros club I know you we're drunk but the pepole that asked who is that prat,I just said even back then ohh just a little weasel from st just you were a total embarrassment

Darren, when you were still a cheeky kid at school, I was in my 'prime'. It may be hard to believe but I did actually used to be a fit lad, always been, lets say a little 'rotund' but used to nail the pre season Loe Bar runs at Port. Ask Kev Richards or Stids, they will testify!

Now, well I have no excuses... walking to Loe Bar would provide a challenge!

I thought you had only ever been one shape Dean?? Darren, when you were still a cheeky kid at school, I was in my 'prime'. It may be hard to believe but I did actually used to be a fit lad, always been, lets say a little 'rotund' but used to nail the pre season Loe Bar runs at Port. Ask Kev Richards or Stids, they will testify!

Now, well I have no excuses... walking to Loe Bar would provide a challenge! it comes to us all mate

You remind me of the kind of little boy who shouts ungrammatical abuse when faced by reasoned arguments.I'm sorry if you consider me sadistic. This was not my intention, although I can see that your education might be a long and wearisome process, including some emotional pain, principally for those attempting to enhance your mental condition.Just go and cut the grass or something. It's the sort of job you can no doubt do very well without making a fool of yourself. No hard feelings: the pitch at Truro City used to look very nice.

. So you don't run Penzance down,plus mr Roberts ,and no I can't out write you but would sooner be a Little boy,than a Lille weasel who not many pepole like or care about,I still remember you watching Chelsea in the worst ever f.a cup at truros club I know you we're drunk but the pepole that asked who is that prat,I just said even back then ohh just a little weasel from st just you were a total embarrassmentSplendid. Lille weasels, je les connais bien ! While all in favour of each man relieving his personal concupiscence as he wishes, does your wife know about your obsession with long thin rodents ?

I remember the occasion you describe, with the Drog tucking away a 113th minute winner: I expect you were the little servitor tasked with stopping excited people from jumping on Mr Heaney's upholstery. S'pose the chairs have gone to pay the bloke who tarmacked your club car park a penny in the pound now. Judging by your phraseology, you're obviously a fine example of Cornish intellect and independence: keep on bowing and scraping to the nouveau riche !

Isaac, I dont see the point of you using your thesaurus app to trade insults on here!? If you want to act intelligent how about applying for countdown or eggheads and put your over active brain/mouth to good use?

Darren, when you were still a cheeky kid at school, I was in my 'prime'. It may be hard to believe but I did actually used to be a fit lad, always been, lets say a little 'rotund' but used to nail the pre season Loe Bar runs at Port. Ask Kev Richards or Stids, they will testify!

Now, well I have no excuses... walking to Loe Bar would provide a challenge!Haha you know I love you really Papa Bray :)

Isaac, I dont see the point of you using your thesaurus app to trade insults on here!? If you want to act intelligent how about applying for countdown or eggheads and put your over active brain/mouth to good use?

What would be "good" about prostituting one's intellect to entertain tracksuited owners of Staffordshire Bull Terriers; or their randomly spawned offspring ?

Terribly sorry, but I'm not closely acquainted with the low-culture daytime commercial television programmes watched by benefit claimants with stolen electronic communication equipment.

Don't worry. I did not hold high expectations of your comprehension,so please don't feel you need to apologise because you cannot "see my point".

What would be "good" about prostituting one's intellect to entertain tracksuited owners of Staffordshire Bull Terriers; or their randomly spawned offspring ?

Terribly sorry, but I'm not closely acquainted with the low-culture daytime commercial television programmes watched by benefit claimants with stolen electronic communication equipment.

Don't worry. I did not hold high expectations of your comprehension,so please don't feel you need to apologise because you cannot "see my point".

You dont stereotype much, I happen to work shifts jackass!

I think the daytime tv audiences would probably be the only ones that would find you vaugely intelligent and funny!

No idea: I'm vaguely glad to concede that your understanding of such audiences infinitely exceeds my own.

So glad to hear the Jackass Shifting industry is running 24/7 in Cornwall. Relieved by your input; which shows that rumours of a brain drain must have been exaggerated.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

just to remind everyone that this game kicks off at 14:00 this coming Sunday at Troon AFC (TR14 9HT For flash Sat Navs!), officials for the day have been appointed and are George Pattison (Ref), Tim Burley and Paul Butler on the lines, I've had a great response from many on here, and from the advertisements in local papers and radio so we are expecting a great turn out on the day and hope to raise plenty of money for a great charity!!!

if anyone has any questions regarding this game please do not hesitate to PM me on here.