Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Select XI v Plymouth Argyle Legends

Mark Rowe was class when he was at Town, Truro and Blazey! he was on the bench for Argyle in 84 in the Cup Semi Final.

Pete Foxwell, Argyle Legend??

Hope you raise a bit of money JMan, but can't see a huge turn out in this weather.

Well there you go St. Darren, you just never know when there is a legend about!!

I have to concur with your question though. I am more of a LEG END. I started playing for the Legends back in 2002, when they were simply known as Argyle Vets'. They were short of a 'keeper to play against Torquay Utd and Gordon Nisbet, who I worked with at the time, asked me to play. I didn't need asking twice and have been playing ever since. Along with Chris Harrison and Leigh Cooper, I have probably clocked up the most appearances.

Nowadays, they have some proper 'keepers in Rhys Wilmot, who makes the odd appearance along with Garry Penhaligon and Ryan Draper. None of these guys were available for this game, so I was wheeled out!! It was a daunting experience facing Dom Pullen thundering towards me, but he took pity on me and decided not to knock me into the middle of next week, rather saving that for the game against Perranwell on Tuesday night.

A gale force wind didn't spoil the game as much as it could of and both sides tried to play football. The Combo select ran out comfortable winners, 6-3, after turning around 3-0 up against the wind. I think they took pity on us/me and settled for just the 3 in the 2nd half. I have no idea who scored, other than Dom, who got at least one for the Combo select. Not sure who scored for us.

The hospitality was excellent and everyone enjoyed themselves in what was a very worthy fund-raising cause.

Next week we are playing a South Western XI on Sunday at Home Park, with a 2.30 KO. It's all part of a 'fun-day' event at HP with loads of other stuff going on all day.

Combo Select 5 - Plymouth Argyle Legends 3

Firstly a big thanks to all of the players who gave up their Sunday afternoon and came along and played a big part in a great game of football.

Combo goals from Jamie Marles x2, Dom Pullen 1, Jowan May 1, and John Bird 1, Plymouth goals from Bradley Swiggs, Paul Smith, and Danny O’Hagan. The weather did take the edge off of things, and the attendance was reflected in this too with only 78 making the trip to watch the game. Many thanks to the Plymouth Legends for making the trip down, one of them travelled on the day from Swindon! The game was played in the right spirit, and was well refereed by George Pattison and his officials.

The total amount raised for the Help For Heroe’s was £210, not a massive amount, but still more than what would have been raised if the game didn’t happen! A good percentage of the people who came through the gate fell into the Concession Cat (£2), which had an effect on the takings we took, and there was a few that missed the KO!

Many thanks to the Troon AFC staff who volunteered their time for the day, to do the Food, Bar, Parking, CTB for the programme which was brilliant, Steve Curnow for managing the team, and once again the officials and opposition.

This just goes to show a ‘small’ village club like Troon AFC can host a major game, and maybe one day in the future (if we avoid relegation! Lol) we may see the league sharing the love when it comes to allocating venue’s for Semi Final’s and Finals, I wont hold my breath mind you!