Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance fail to raise a side

Taken from the SWPL website

Saturday’s Carlsberg South West Peninsula Premier League game

Dartmouth v Penzance

Penzance informed the league this afternoon that they were unable to raise a side.

The match will now be awarded to Dartmouth and League Secretary Philip Hiscox will amend the website when he returns from tonight’s match at Crediton.

Mike Sampson press officer

Serious Problems At Penzance???

Thats is a very easy slap in the face to all concerned at Penzance FC DanBlazey, why do you throw mud at other clubs in trouble when you have rubbished your own club in earlier posts when things haven't been going as well as you would have liked, ok you are on a good run and hopefully out of trouble regarding relegation, i have posted my support for Bobby Oaten and St Blazey recently and feel they have been moving in the right direction, there is some light at the end of the tunnel for St Blazey with teams dropping out and hopefully Buckland Athletic gaining promotion this meaning that there probably isn't any forced relegaton from the league. i have to say you are up there with the biggest in all of Cornish football, you shouldn't be slating other clubs from this county who are struggling the same as your so called club have been, let me now start a poll and opinion on you DanBlazey that other people are allowed to air their views, Is DanB;lazey.. 1. good for a football club or 2. not needed? see how you feel about public personal opinions.

From what I can see, the reserves don't have a game today. Obv not ideal to ask several of them to step up (again) and probably get a hammering but this is for the CLUB.

I wonder what the punishment is for doing this twice (another trip into devon on the 28th).

This is step 6 football, not some village league.

I wonder what the punishment is for doing this twice (another trip into devon on the 28th).

Well the punishment for doing it in my village league (the Duchy League) is 3 points deduction the first time, 6 points for the second and expulsion the third time and that has just happened to RAF St Mawgan.

Official statement :

The Chairman and I discussed the matter tonight at the Friday night match and decided that the previous precedence must be followed.

This means that Dartmouth have been awarded a win and 3 points as the non-offending club, (although we cannot award goals it has to be listed as 0-0 in the results grids)

Penzance are deducted 1 point from their previous total of 25 meaning they now have 24.

In addition Penzance are fined the sum of £250 as per rule, of this £100 is payable within 21 days and £150 is held over them as a suspended sentance to be invoked if they fail to fulfill any of their remainihg 3 matches of this season.

As the Penzance club had notified both the league and the opponents the day before the match they have been given some credit in terms of the part suspension of the fine, in addition hopefully the three match officials appointed will be able to be used elsewhere on Saturday.

For the purpose of clarity this is the same punishment previously imposed on two other clubs earlier in the season, in all 3 incidents they have been first offences and made with at least a days notice causing less disruption to opponents, supporters and match officials.

P A Hiscox (Company Secretary)

Thats is a very easy slap in the face to all concerned at Penzance FC DanBlazey, why do you throw mud at other clubs in trouble when you have rubbished your own club in earlier posts when things haven't been going as well as you would have liked, ok you are on a good run and hopefully out of trouble regarding relegation, i have posted my support for Bobby Oaten and St Blazey recently and feel they have been moving in the right direction, there is some light at the end of the tunnel for St Blazey with teams dropping out and hopefully Buckland Athletic gaining promotion this meaning that there probably isn't any forced relegaton from the league. i have to say you are up there with the biggest in all of Cornish football, you shouldn't be slating other clubs from this county who are struggling the same as your so called club have been, let me now start a poll and opinion on you DanBlazey that other people are allowed to air their views, Is DanB;lazey.. 1. good for a football club or 2. not needed? see how you feel about public personal opinions.

You can slate me 'til your hearts content, but I have a valid point.

How a club with the history and tradition of Penzance FC cannot get together eleven people capable of kicking a football is beyond me.

How a club with the history and tradition of Penzance FC cannot get together eleven people capable of kicking a football is beyond me.

Spot on Dan - and it seems Penzance Reserves don't have a game so out of what 30 odd players they can't raise 11????

Perhaps the comment about the non-payment of "expenses" is closer to the truth??

Pity the League can't impose a points deduction sufficient to ensure that Penzance finish bottom and get relegated.

Don't understand the vitriolic statement aimed at DanBlazey . It has always struck me that he always said it pretty as much as he sees it with Blazey ( sometimes the people nearest to you are the ones who tell you things that you need to hear ) .Anyway , no matter how bad it got for Blazey this season , they never failed to get a team on the pitch .

It is undeniably poor that a Step 6 club cannot raise a side to fulfill a fixture , it is just as well that today's fixture has little baring on any issues within the league . Just imagine if it involved a side going for the championship/promotion/trying to avoid relegation or finishing in top four prize money positions .

In my opinion the league should look at docking points for the start of next season or even exclusion from the league cup .

Posted A minute ago

If Buckland do not gain promotion, and that is a big if, Penzance could end up being relegated if Blazey and Ivybridge win all their games. Could be an interesting couple of weeks

They both can't win all their games as they have to play each other again.

Good call, not had chance to look at the remaining fixtures, but Penzance do not have much of a points cushion.

It is very sad though, spoke to John last season and the cost of the coach is quite expensive and if they cancel on the day they get charged the full amount. A lot of Clubs have found it hard this season, big financial decisions will be made during the close season by a lot of Clubs

A lot of Clubs have found it hard this season, big financial decisions will be made during the close season by a lot of Clubs

But if the head actually ruled the heart, most of our clubs would pull out of the SWPL!

Average home attendance for Penzance so far this season - 81 - surely not enough to finance the team expenses.

Could this be bringing home the "Bodmin factor" - when Penzance were doing well in the Division One West they averaged crowds of something like 110 and 159.

With less travelling and success - a tremendous feel good factor. Obviously something that isn't around Penlee Park at the moment adding to the problems!

What's the answer? Get new sponsors from somewhere - difficult; get a team to compete with the top three in the Premier Division - almost as difficult; take relegation and have a better chance of restoring interest and pride in the club - might not be so difficult.

This may be a defeatist viewpoint to many, but perhaps just more realistic. Marines this season, Magpies next - who knows!

Tempted to make a fuller response but suffice it to say:-

The reason for Penzance not being able to get a team to Dartmouth today is a combination of injuries and unavailability due to work commitments and nothing to do with expenses.

We hire a coach for all long away games.

Recent heavy losses with weakened teams have probably contributed towards a few players becoming unavailable.

The many Reserve team players who have stepped up in recent weeks have shown tremendous spirit and loyalty.

No-one is more gutted, or ashamed, than I am about the situation we find ourselves in today but I'm confident we will bounce back.

Don't understand the vitriolic statement aimed at DanBlazey . It has always struck me that he always said it pretty as much as he sees it with Blazey ( sometimes the people nearest to you are the ones who tell you things that you need to hear ) .Anyway , no matter how bad it got for Blazey this season , they never failed to get a team on the pitch .

It is undeniably poor that a Step 6 club cannot raise a side to fulfill a fixture , it is just as well that today's fixture has little baring on any issues within the league . Just imagine if it involved a side going for the championship/promotion/trying to avoid relegation or finishing in top four prize money positions .

In my opinion the league should look at docking points for the start of next season or even exclusion from the league cup .

I call a spade a spade. Always have done, always will do. If people don't like my comments they don't have to read them.

You could say the same thing about St Blazey who could not raise a team for an ECPL fixture away to Elburton Villa last season

We have a level 6 league here that gives the right for the team that are champions not to take promotion, award points to a team that although not their fault haven't played, yet the result is recorded as 0 0, what about if that team lost the league title by 1 goal. Penzance seem to have a genuine reason for not playing and should be punished in some way, but should still fulfil the fixture. Got the looks of a pub league in some cases, needs a bit of an overhaul I feel.

Penzance seem to have a genuine reason for not playing.

Sorry but you are WRONG......... All teams have injuries, player suspenions and work committments, the reserves are gameless today, thats what they are there for, at some stage these reserves will be playing first team football.

As stated 0-0 is not fair on the team that should be playing a second string team, there MUST be a result/score in favour of the team that can field a team otherwise the 0-0 means its a DRAW.

I have asked this before, what is going on at Penzance? Somebody tell the truth? There must be a lot of issues at the club, you can't keep on using the following; work commitments, injuries and lack of players etc

Start of the season you had over 35 players signed on, the fact the reserve team did not have a game today, I find this very hard to believe that you have 35 players injured or working!

I feel sorry for the committee on this one

Players from the 2nds have no ddrive then?

I have asked this before, what is going on at Penzance? Somebody tell the truth? There must be a lot of issues at the club, you can't keep on using the following; work commitments, injuries and lack of players etc

Start of the season you had over 35 players signed on, the fact the reserve team did not have a game today, I find this very hard to believe that you have 35 players injured or working!

I feel sorry for the committee on this one

Players from the 2nds have no ddrive then?

May be hard to believe but John Mead is a honourable and honest man and if he says they couldn't raise a side then thats good enough for me. If they could have raised a bare 11 i'm sure they would have.

maybe it has something to do with the manager? apparently things arn't running smoothly at pz, players not wanting to play for him etc, especially when he keeps going on holiday, trips to wales or other jollys willy nilly through the season.not turning up at falmouth was another kick in the teeth for the players as far as i can see. knew it was going to be a tough game, but just walked away!

Having watched Penzance away at Tavy, I thought they competed well and had a very good young side that I thought did very well. This I think was Wayne Quinns last game for Penzance, which was probably quite a blow for the younger players to lose such an experienced player as Wayne who they would have looked up to.

For people to come on here and moan about people who give a valid opinion is very sad. The fact is a decent sized club like Pz couldnt get 11 players to play 90 minutes of football. The club will be fined £150 and that alone would have covered expenses for 11 players to make the trip. Who cares if they got thumped, its about making sure fixtures at this level are played.

Before anyone makes a comment about St Blazey east cornwall side a couple of seasons ago, that to was very poor. It shouldnt happen. I cant remember now but im sure there was something strange reguarding communicatons between the two sides. Not that it makes it any better.

Lets hope this is a one off because Pz is a decent club and always a good trip to make in a season.

We would have gone with 10 if we could have found that number. We've played 2 of our last 3 games without a recognised keeper and the team has been filled with reserves, all of whom are signed on. Bradley Wills & Matt Laity were both due to return from injury today but we were still without Danny Burrows, Mark Richards, Lewis Caspell, Nick Pugliese, James Street, Jamie Thirkle and Ryan Williams, who are all still injured + Rob Stapleton,who is ill. Ben Williams, Ryan Andrew, and Ryan Holland were unable to change full-time work commitments , and a whole host of youngsters who have helped us out in recent games have part-time Saturday jobs within the holiday/catering trade which they would not have got back from Dartmouth in time for. I would be more than willing to discuss any perceived problems at Penzance face to face with individuals but will only use this forum to express facts rather than opinions.

Wayne Quinn didn't play at Tavistock - his now wife was away on her Hen Do and he had to babysit!

Surely the buck stops with the manager on this issue. The number one priority of the manager must be to put 11 players on the pitch and a minimum of 3 subs on the bench. Any manager who falls short of this minimum requirement is letting his club and supporters down, no brainer.

I've been around local footie for many years,i can never recall a SENIOR club doing this.Trelawney/Duchy league maybe,the old SWL or new SWPL N

never. :SM_carton:

They have made a mockery of the league. The club are pretty sure there is no relegation and haven't played this weekend, so the whole 1st team are eligible and available to play for the 2nd team at Newquay this week, in a bid to preserve combination status

I am implying that the 2nd team play on wednesday and there has been a gap of more than 8 days now, since the 1st team played. Meaning they would be eligible to play in the combo game at Newquay, as PZ need 6 points from their last two games, to have any chance of staying up!

I am implying that the 2nd team play on wednesday and there has been a gap of more than 8 days now, since the 1st team played. Meaning they would be eligible to play in the combo game at Newquay, as PZ need 6 points from their last two games, to have any chance of staying up!

Aren't you looking too far into a reason why the game wasn't played.

They didn't have enough players to travel, end of story.

They've been scratching around for players for weeks - in this day and age who's going to step in to help and travel the sort of distance that was involved to get a stuffing?

And in case, there is no guarantee that the 1st team are good enough to win Combo games anyway. :ninja:

"I am implying that the 2nd team play on wednesday and there has been a gap of more than 8 days now, since the 1st team played. Meaning they would be eligible to play in the combo game at Newquay, as PZ need 6 points from their last two games, to have any chance of staying up! "

Putting a Penzance Reserve team out against Bodmin, while the firsts went to play against Newquay Reserves was never seriously considered - even though it would have been within the rules; Bodmin could well have broken world goal-scoring record!

Don't foresee any problems with the Ivybridge trip on 28th - should even have a couple more back from injury by then