Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks League Cup Final - RESULT

Perranporth (Ross Sommerville, Matt Roberts) 2-4 St Day (Jacob Cleverly, Dan Richards 2 (incl a pen), Gavin Boon)

An impressive attendance on a horrible afternoon of 289 witnessed Perranporth get off to the ideal start with a goal after only three minutes when a right wing cross was headed on by Ross Sommerville and into the St Day goal.

Stunned but not out of it by any means, ten minutes later St Day were back on level terms through a Jacob Cleverly shot which somehow beat Perran’s ‘keeper Johnny Row.

Most of the crowd were surprised when St Day were awarded a penalty after 26 minutes, but referee Kevin Knowles quickly decided that there had been an infringement inside the Perran box and Dan Richards coolly slotted home the spot kick to put the Saints ahead. The clash leading to the penalty also left Row struggling with what looked an injury to his back and so it was no surprise when he never came out for the second half.

Before the break though St Day increased their lead with Gavin Boon finding the corner of the Perran goal direct from a 25 yard free-kick.

Row’s replacement was outfield player Jack Bradshaw who made some crucial saves to thwart the St Day side early on in the second half and St Day’s inability to put the tie to bed looked as if it might prove costly when Matt Roberts pulled one back for Perranporth in the 56th minute!

There was still sufficient time left for the league leaders to complete a come-back and haul themselves  back into this contest.

However, eventually St Day settled the destination of the trophy when with five minutes remaining Richards was fed through the Perran back line to slot the ball in, scoring his second and ensuring St Day got their hands back on the silverware which they last won four seasons ago.

Man of the match was Conor Miles (St Day).

I must also praise Porthleven for how good the ground looked pre kick-off and how well it played,  considering it rained for the whole of the match. Congratulations too for the players and officials  – not the best of conditions!

Good final today, best side won on the day and perranporth were gracious defeat. Think the league can still be won by 4 teams yet. Got to also mention the officials who done a great job and the ref took the conditions into account. Thanks to porthleven who done a great job hosting, the pitch might need a rest now.

Absolutely delighted for everybody involved with St Day, the boys were fantastic yesterday as were the crowd  and it was a wonderful day to be part of.

Special thanks goes to all of the officials, the league and Porthleven for being such great hosts. 

I must also say how gracious Perranporth were in defeat. 

#Saints ? ? 

5 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Don’t let Rodney Beer hear you lot praising Porthleven. ????

I must also send my best wishes to one of our players, Billy Williams, who is currently undergoing scans for a potential leg fracture, following a horror tackle early in the game, yesterday. ? 

1 hour ago, Rob Hosking said:

I must also send my best wishes to one of our players, Billy Williams, who is currently undergoing scans for a potential leg fracture, following a horror tackle early in the game, yesterday. ? 

Amazed it wasn't a straight red, thought it was the one decision Knowlesy got wrong in the whole game, terrible tackle, hope the lad is ok.

I watched this game and St.day could have scored 4 or 5 before perranporth scored against the run of play. Suprised with the penalty given and perranporth put in a couple very late challenges which should have been dealt with more sternly.

28 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:
9 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Don’t let Rodney Beer hear you lot praising Porthleven. ????LOL. How are you.Kev ? Nice ground, nice people ! Just as the city of Linz is a lovely place. Not the city's fault, producing the author if Mein Kampf ! Good luck to Porthleven....glad it wasn't waterlogged !

I’m good thank you Rodney. Hope you are well.  ?

A difficult decision, the ball sat perfectly for a classic 50/50 and with the status of the game, neither player was going to pull out of the challenge. The perranporth player connected with the ball perfectly, however just caught the player slightly. my First impressions were the st day player went in on the perranporth player but came out worse off. Intentions were there.  

IF THATS A RED CARD IN A COMBINATION CUP FINAL, THEN THE GAME IS DEAD. 

GreenTeddy

27 minutes ago, Big Clints said:

The tackle was late with studs showing DANGEROUS !!  Makes no difference if it kills the game player safety is the priority ,players have to work the next day 

Like I have stated. Both players went in for the tackle, the st day player was not innocent. Let’s try not to use the excuse of work the next day, all players know they have a risk of sustaining an injury when stepping onto that pitch. 

With the score being 1-1 at the time, if both players pulled out the tackle, both would have received a mouthful from there teams. The referee made the correct decision of not ruining both the game and the young perranporth player cup final experience. 

Ive seen posts on all platforms of social media, giving the perranporth player a lot of abuse and criticism... and some wonder why Cornish football struggle for participants and experience a decrease in participation? 

15 hours ago, willy7 said:

Yea we thought Knowsley reffed the game well and aloud for the condition but like you said that tackle in the first 20min was very late and dangerous, couldn't believe he didn't even get a card. 

Hi mate, the player received a Yellow Card after the tackle. I believe the man in the middle knowlsey made the right call booking the player. The game had potential and most definitely produced the goods. If red card was shown would we have still saw the same spectacle of a very entertaining final that’s was well fought out from both teams? Got to ask yourself that question?

Would also like to send my congratulations to Joff and St Day for winning the cup thought they have improved leaps and bounds from previous seasons.

But would also like to send my commiserasions to those at Perranporth AFC would like to see these boys go on and win the league, tireless work from biff and the likes behind the scenes for several years now??

32 minutes ago, Mr Loverman said:

Hi mate, the player received a Yellow Card after the tackle. I believe the man in the middle knowlsey made the right call booking the player. The game had potential and most definitely produced the goods. If red card was shown would we have still saw the same spectacle of a very entertaining final that’s was well fought out from both teams? Got to ask yourself that question?

Would also like to send my congratulations to Joff and St Day for winning the cup thought they have improved leaps and bounds from previous seasons.

But would also like to send my commiserasions to those at Perranporth AFC would like to see these boys go on and win the league, tireless work from biff and the likes behind the scenes for several years now??

So are  we saying as long as it is entertaining there is a place for late and dangerous tackles ? So a yellow instead of a red !! That tackle in any other game would have been straight red ,As an ex player who had to finish playing after being caught with a late and deliberate challenge I feel these challenges need to be punished ,

3 minutes ago, Big Clints said:

So are  we saying as long as it is entertaining there is a place for late and dangerous tackles ? So a yellow instead of a red !! That tackle in any other game would have been straight red ,As an ex player who had to finish playing after being caught with a late and deliberate challenge I feel these challenges need to be punished ,

Understand your frustrations ‘Big Clints’ however a game of this magnitude I feel the match official made the correct decision. After all we don’t exactly have this ‘VAR’ nonsense in local Cornish football. Maybe if you feel this passionate ‘Big Clints’ you could perhaps take up a refereeing course and have a go yourself in the middle. Not as easy as it looks?? Best wishes

4 minutes ago, Mr Loverman said:

Understand your frustrations ‘Big Clints’ however a game of this magnitude I feel the match official made the correct decision. After all we don’t exactly have this ‘VAR’ nonsense in local Cornish football. Maybe if you feel this passionate ‘Big Clints’ you could perhaps take up a refereeing course and have a go yourself in the middle. Not as easy as it looks?? Best wishes

Not slating the ref who I thought had a decent game and I know I prob couldn't do that job as u have to have thick skin I and I would not take the abuse they take !!! Just stated in my opinion the tackle was late and dangerous ,, This said was good final with both teams putting on a show credit too both clubs ?

29 minutes ago, Big Clints said:

Not slating the ref who I thought had a decent game and I know I prob couldn't do that job as u have to have thick skin I and I would not take the abuse they take !!! Just stated in my opinion the tackle was late and dangerous ,, This said was good final with both teams putting on a show credit too both clubs ?

I've had differing opinions with Big Clints over time. 1 being the cheating lineman debate ???. But after watching the game as a complete neutral that was 100% a red card. Horrible, late tackle with studs up. Any news on how the St Day player is? How it didn't break his leg is beyond me. Anyone defending the tackle either had a bad view of it or is a Perran player/fan. There's no defending that sort of tackle when so many of us are self employed.

21 minutes ago, Roy D said:

I've had differing opinions with Big Clints over time. 1 being the cheating lineman debate ???. But after watching the game as a complete neutral that was 100% a red card. Horrible, late tackle with studs up. Any news on how the St Day player is? How it didn't break his leg is beyond me. Anyone defending the tackle either had a bad view of it or is a Perran player/fan. There's no defending that sort of tackle when so many of us are self employed.

Big Clints is a big softie really :yahoo:I know the player who committed the foul & i am not defending the decision of the ref, however i will say two things , firstly the player is in no way malicious or red carded on a regular basis in fact I'm not sure he's had one before & just to add the point it gets no bigger than a cup final at this level. Secondly theres probably at defo combo level not much if any more experienced than Kevin Knowles the ref. We all have an opinion thats why we are writing on here, i think Kev took a good minute to come to his decision & after much consideration felt it was only a yellow card, now i watched only the Perran player from the club house who as I've stated is not a dirty player although my initial reaction was RED & having been asked on numerous occasions since i would still say red, but we did not have Kevins view i have heard the Carharrack player who i know of as well & having seen him play a few times i certainly wouldn't say he was in anyway malicious either but people are saying he was quite high in his tackle again i never focused on him so have no idea. The overall turnout is the perran player injured the St Day player & summing up i believe Kev has felt it was a booking & no more.  I have heard from a person today that the St Day player has a fracture of some sort i believe from this challenge, & therefore i personally wish him a very speedy recovery. Last note i would like to congratulate Joff & St Day for there win in bloody cold conditions:ninja:& i know a certain John Mallabar would of been looking down with a bloody huge smile on his face & be very proud of Joffy:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Roy D said:

Thank you Roy glad we can agree aswell as disagree  ,,,look forward to many more debates ? as for marksy summing up what more can be said ?

HAving not seen the tackle. I have to comment on what some things are said!! Does a cup final involve different laws than a normal game? If a tackle is reckless and dangerous then it should be same punishment whether it’s a final or an opening game of the season. 

No wonder referees take a bashing when they apply different laws in different games! 

Knowlesy’s boss though!!

11 hours ago, St Darren said:

HAving not seen the tackle. I have to comment on what some things are said!! Does a cup final involve different laws than a normal game? If a tackle is reckless and dangerous then it should be same punishment whether it’s a final or an opening game of the season. 

No wonder referees take a bashing when they apply different laws in different games! 

Knowlesy’s boss though!!

I don’t think anyone has said that different laws and rules should be inflicted because it was a final ‘St Darren’ however perhaps Knowlsey showed some leniency due to the situation, nevertheless the right man in the middle made the right decision in my eyes. Although I have heard the St Day player has fractured his leg? I am sure the Perranporth player who inflicted the injury had no intention of hurting the St Day player so maybe the people who saw the tackle should only continue to have an opinion on the matter. ??

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

But why should a referee apply some leniency because “it’s a final”. Still the same laws apply surely? 

Or perhaps the ref just didn’t think it was a red card offence

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen some common knowledge!! 

If the man in the middle thought it was a red card offence then don’t you think he would’ve given it? Too many people on here jumping on the bandwagon slagging our officials off when they barely know the game themselves. Kev thought it was a bookable offence hence the yellow card being shown. 

It makes you really wonder, this amount of discussion over a single tackle and arguably a bookable offence to some and a red card offence to many, that is Cornish football losing its edge, is it really as exciting as it used to be? I know back in my day this pettiness would’ve been squashed the day it happened but hey we aren’t in those days now and we are in a whole new environment...?